A $30 burger?

nobog

[quote name='Host Andy']Hi Shayne !

Thanks for very much for clarifying. I was sure I heard it mentioned that Lunch would be complimentary... So, I'm puzzled at the moment. I was quite busy with several items as I typed and listened to the call, so it's possible I misheard what was said. Then again, I might be losing my mind :)

I apologize to the OP and our CC Friends for any confusion.[/quote]

Oh, no worries. Lunch is complimentary at "The Porch," so that's probably what you heard.

[quote name='CruisingChick']Since when is $30 per person "nominal"?

We were planning on booking Silhouette out of NJ for November 2011. I am sad she will not have the hot glass show as I was looking forward to finally seeing that.[/quote]

I was just quoting from the website:eek:.....I was not giving a personal
opinion:eek:

I agree that the S-class ships are "missing" a good sports bar, however replacing a great (and free) interactive show area (the glassblowing area) with a crass, commercial venue is a bit disconcerting.

I can see that the cost of the glass blowing equipment/staff and the fact that yet another glass blowing venue really loses its novelty after three ships -- but I was hoping for something slightly more innovative than yet another bar/alternative dining venue with a hefty charge attached to it.

If I want to "grill my own steak" I can do so 8 months of the year in my backyard and/or go to my local "grill your own steak" place (around here it is the PrimeQuarter) and do so for much less than $30 per person. Anything I can do within a 10 minute drive of my house in Green Bay Wisconsin certainly is not terribly exciting :D.

Looking forward to reading/seeing what the final changes are. Don't thnk I want all S-Class ships to be mirror images of each other. Enjoyed the Glass Blowing, but don't think I'd be doing it again and again.

Personally, I think the venue would be great for what 'X' is describing. We hit a few of the specialty dinings on a cruise, but its not a highlight for us. One thing I got a kick out of was the post about they thought 'X' would use the glass-blowing venue for dining/grilling because of the ovens. I immedately pictured someone putting their fine steak into one of those 'ovens' that runs a couple thousand degrees! Anyone up for a Pure Carbon Fillet?? Funny.

I'm a lover of the M-Class T-Spa and Cova Cafe, but S-Class wowed me big time. Now we can cruise M-Class, S-Class and modified S-Class and enjoy many differences.

I disagree with an early post....this is a big reason to contnue to cruise Celebrity.

Denny

[quote name='hcat']

Us too!.... can't folks live without their big TVs for just a few days? and never heard of any of those groups-- I guess they want someone else's money from now on--rather than our three cruise a year!
[/QUOTE]

So because on two of their ships Celebrity is making Michael's Club a lounge that appeals to a younger demographic you would change cruise lines? :confused:

While I do not like every change being made, overall I like that Celebrity is adding variety to the S-Class and I think it is a good thing that they are trying to appeal more to people in their 20s and 30s. There is a large market out there and I think they can make some small changes (like they did on Silly and Reflection) to appeal more to this market, without changing the overall more sophisticated vibe of a Celebrity cruise vs. a cruise on Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Also, on my prior cruises Michael's Club hardly ever had more than a handful of people inside if an Elite event or other formalized activity was not occurring.

I must be the only person who has local restaurants that serve $30 burgers. :)

We never made it to the HGS onboard Eclipse. I've seen glass blowing done many times, and it was nice the first few times but not an event for us. I can see how someone would enjoy it, and there has to be value in seeing a piece made that you can than purchase, and I'm assuming that's why it's profitable.

I think it would be nice to break up the price points a bit...we have the $5 bistro, and all the other restaurants are $30-$35. Why not a $20 grill? I think $30 is a little high for something I can do exceptionally well at home, unless the meat is something super special.

The cruise lines have finally quit with the WWII music (nooooo, not 'Don't Sit Under the Appletree' again, Pleeeeese), and they are now bringing in some music more recent then what I grew up with. It's called business/ time marches on/ change to bring more people in /change to give repeat customers another option/ etc.

There are so many venues to choose from on a ship, and you just might enjoy a bit of change. Up to you...you can always quit cruising on a Line you've preferred because they changed one venue and go over to another wholey different atmosphere....but citing you hate change so youre changing seems a bit of a dicotomy.

But what the heck....

Denny

[quote name='Lois R']I was just quoting from the website:eek:.....I was not giving a personal
opinion:eek:[/quote]

Lois, I never thought you were making a personal comment. ;)

I can't believe they would state $30 pp as nominal. I guess I'd better start crusing NCL or Carnival. It seems like Celebrity will be pricing themselvs out of my price range.

[quote name='Onessa']
I can see that the cost of the glass blowing equipment/staff and the fact that yet another glass blowing venue really loses its novelty after three ships -- but I was hoping for something slightly more innovative than yet another bar/alternative dining venue with a hefty charge attached to it. [/quote]

Well said. At least we have the "old" S-class. For now.

Actually, I am excited about Michael's Club changing to a pseudo-sports bar. But I was hoping for a lot more in the HGS venue area than just another place to spend money on food. There are plenty of those places on-board already...

[quote name='nobog'][B]From the News Section:[/B]

[I][COLOR=red]Most significantly, the Corning Glass Museum and the Solstice class' famous glass-blowing demonstrations are being replaced by the Lawn Club Grill specialty restaurant. For [B]$30 per person[/B], passengers can dine at cruising's first outdoor interactive grill venue: During lunch, the menu will feature high-end burgers and pizzas.... [/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR][/I]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]I don't think so....[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#0000ff](must be the best burger - ever)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Are the burgers made from Kobe beef ,lol

[quote name='PS90']Well said. At least we have the "old" S-class. For now.

Actually, I am excited about Michael's Club changing to a pseudo-sports bar. But I was hoping for a lot more in the HGS venue area than just another place to spend money on food. There are plenty of those places on-board already...[/QUOTE]

It looks like it may well be more than just another place to eat. The press release also referenced guest chefs, cooking demonstrations, an art studio with demonstrations and passenger participation etc. Some of my favorite activities on cruises have involved interactive demonstrations such as on my HAL cruise greatly enjoyed taking a cooking class with the head chef of the Pinnacle Grill (their specialty restaurant). It was a blast! I think the potential is there for Celebrity to have some great activities in this space on the Silly & Reflection. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I think it very well could be a good thing.

[quote name='Gonzo70']It looks like it may well be more than just another place to eat. The press release also referenced guest chefs, cooking demonstrations, an art studio with demonstrations and passenger participation etc. Some of my favorite activities on cruises have involved interactive demonstrations such as on my HAL cruise greatly enjoyed taking a cooking class with the head chef of the Pinnacle Grill (their specialty restaurant). It was a blast! I think the potential is there for Celebrity to have some great activities in this space on the Silly & Reflection. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I think it very well could be a good thing.[/quote]

Yeah, I actually just now read the email attachment that X sent me about the changes, and I agree that these new dining venues sound like they may be a lot more resourceful than I first thought.

At least, that is how X seems to be trying to plug this new venue. I agree that the pizza-making demo's and things like that may well be worth it and sound interesting, but I also wouldn't be surprized if those innovations start off strong, and then slowly fizzle out, until this is just a plain-ol' specialty restaurant on top of the ship.

Here's to hopin' :D

[quote name='2SeaWithMe']I must be the only person who has local restaurants that serve $30 burgers. :) [/quote]
Yes it appears you very well may be :D -- we were at a (what my BIL refers to as) as [I]Houte-tee-dough [/I]resturant in Minneapolis just prior to a major event in the downtown area and well all commented about the $18.00 burger being a bit overpriced. This was a group of people from St. Louis, Chicago, and the Twinkie Cities (not just us hicks!)

[quote name='2SeaWithMe']We never made it to the HGS onboard Eclipse. I've seen glass blowing done many times, and it was nice the first few times but not an event for us. I can see how someone would enjoy it, and there has to be value in seeing a piece made that you can than purchase, and I'm assuming that's why it's profitable.[/quote]
You cannot purchase the items made on board -- they raffle them off (with no-cost tickets) to audience members and donate some to on-board auctions where the proceeds go to charity and/or scholarships to CMOG students. So it was not a money maker.

[quote name='Onessa']Yes it appears you very well may be :D -- we were at a (what my BIL refers to as) as [I]Houte-tee-dough [/I]resturant in Minneapolis just prior to a major event in the downtown area and well all commented about the $18.00 burger being a bit overpriced. This was a group of people from St. Louis, Chicago, and the Twinkie Cities (not just us hicks!)

You cannot purchase the items made on board -- they raffle them off (with no-cost tickets) to audience members and donate some to on-board auctions where the proceeds go to charity and/or scholarships to CMOG students. So it was not a money maker.[/QUOTE]

That's what I get for never having went to a HGS. :D

I still think $30 is a lot, unless it's got foie gras or something. But heck, you can get Grade B for $45 a lb now...
I guess I just wouldn't be surprised if they're billing gourmet burgers as part of that $30 fare.

[quote name='2SeaWithMe']That's what I get for never having went to a HGS. :D

I still think $30 is a lot, unless it's got foie gras or something. But heck, you can get Grade B for $45 a lb now...
I guess I just wouldn't be surprised if they're billing gourmet burgers as part of that $30 fare.[/QUOTE]

I think it is way too early to judge the price. We don't know for sure it will be $30 and we don't know for sure if lunch and dinner will have similar menus and/or cost. Likewise we don't even know the entire gist of the menu. If it truly is $30 for burgers, it is doubtful more than a tiny handful of passengers would utilize the venue and they would quickly have to lower the price. I would be shocked if the pizza and/or burgs would not be available for well under $30.

[quote name='CruisingChick']Lois, I never thought you were making a personal comment. ;)

I can't believe they would state $30 pp as nominal. I guess I'd better start crusing NCL or Carnival. It seems like Celebrity will be pricing themselvs out of my price range.[/quote]

Ok, thanks:)....as for trying the other lines? No thanks;) I just won't
spend the $ on that venue.

[quote name='Gonzo70']So because on two of their ships Celebrity is making Michael's Club a lounge that appeals to a younger demographic you would change cruise lines? :confused:

While I do not like every change being made, overall I like that Celebrity is adding variety to the S-Class and I think it is a good thing that they are trying to appeal more to people in their 20s and 30s. There is a large market out there and I think they can make some small changes (like they did on Silly and Reflection) to appeal more to this market, without changing the overall more sophisticated vibe of a Celebrity cruise vs. a cruise on Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Also, on my prior cruises Michael's Club hardly ever had more than a handful of people inside if an Elite event or other formalized activity was not occurring.[/QUOTE]

I predict the changes will eventually be in all Michal's clubs b/c Celebrity has been craving a sports bar venue that they neglected to include when they planned their ships.. overall I would not be happy with the new demographics since I am not in them...we left beer & Pretzels in college

we have had fun on Navigator & other Royal c ships that draw a younger crowd...but generally we are looking for an upscale elegant experience--not NFL Football night!...

on our last Summit cruise they called bingo games in the theater before the show, while everyone sat there dressed up, & they had blaring music at the pool with party games in the afternoon--no Sorbet! Maybe Celebrity is changing who they want..that was my only point..not a problem for us--we'll just move elsewhere if it does not suit us!!

[quote name='CruisingChick']Lois, I never thought you were making a personal comment. ;)

I can't believe they would state $30 pp as nominal. I guess I'd better start crusing NCL or Carnival. It seems like Celebrity will be pricing themselvs out of my price range.[/QUOTE]

NCL is worse and they constantly hawk things all over the ship. Been there, done that and you will be back to Celebrity...

My hope is that they will pretty much leave the M class ships for old fogies like me who just like to be at sea, go interesting places, enjoy my meals, read a good book, and try to avoid the Ole, Ole, Ole experience. Dining with old and new friends, good conversation, an interesting lecture or two, that's more my style.

Otherwise, we'll be back in the Market after 10 years with X.

[quote name='hcat']I predict the changes will eventually be in all Michal's clubs b/c Celebrity has been craving a sports bar venue that they neglected to include when they planned their ships.. overall I would not be happy with the new demographics since I am not in them...we left beer & Pretzels in college

we have had fun on Navigator & other Royal c ships that draw a younger crowd...but generally we are looking for an upscale elegant experience--not NFL Football night!...

on our last Summit cruise they called bingo games in the theater before the show, while everyone sat there dressed up, & they had blaring music at the pool with party games in the afternoon--no Sorbet! Maybe Celebrity is changing who they want..that was my only point..not a problem for us--we'll just move elsewhere if it does not suit us!![/quote]

I guess I am a part of the "new demographic" I am 29 DH is 31, we sail Celebrity regularly [I]because[/I] it is upscale, refined, and we don't feel like hanging out with a "party" crowd either. Both of us work extremely hard and just want to relax together on vacation, not ride some wave rider or climb a rock wall.

That being said - I am a HUGE football fan and think that EVERY ship has room for a sports bar! :) I love the ambiance, and really, Micaels club is never used, at least on any cruise I have been on less than 3 people are in there unless it's an elite event. It's boring. Something with a little life on these newer ships won't hurt anyone!

As for the pool music - yuck it has to go, the games too! I like it quiet I just want to read. Agree with you 100% there! I really think we (meaning your group who left beer in college and my group that enjoys upscale cruising but enjoys just a little football too!) shares some similarities and can cruise happily together.

As for the other dining venue - bring it on! I posted about this earlier - it sounds like it could be fun - an interactive, nice, high quality steak on the top deck of the ship? I like it! And Celebrity doesn't really need 5 carbon copies of the exact same ship, this way the newest 2 have a little variety and the other ones have a hot glass show and other really interesting and unique attractions! And if you don't want to cook your own dinner - you don't have to! And if you don't want to pay to eat there - you don't have to!

Win-Win-Win!!! :D

[quote name='yayvacation!']I guess I am a part of the "new demographic" I am 29 DH is 31, we sail Celebrity regularly [I]because[/I] it is upscale, refined, and we don't feel like hanging out with a "party" crowd either. Both of us work extremely hard and just want to relax together on vacation, not ride some wave rider or climb a rock wall.

That being said - I am a HUGE football fan and think that EVERY ship has room for a sports bar! :) I love the ambiance, and really, Micaels club is never used, at least on any cruise I have been on less than 3 people are in there unless it's an elite event. It's boring. Something with a little life on these newer ships won't hurt anyone!

As for the pool music - yuck it has to go, the games too! I like it quiet I just want to read. Agree with you 100% there! I really think we (meaning your group who left beer in college and my group that enjoys upscale cruising but enjoys just a little football too!) shares some similarities and can cruise happily together.

As for the other dining venue - bring it on! I posted about this earlier - it sounds like it could be fun - an interactive, nice, high quality steak on the top deck of the ship? I like it! And Celebrity doesn't really need 5 carbon copies of the exact same ship, this way the newest 2 have a little variety and the other ones have a hot glass show and other really interesting and unique attractions! And if you don't want to cook your own dinner - you don't have to! And if you don't want to pay to eat there - you don't have to!

Win-Win-Win!!! :D[/QUOTE]

Love your great positive attitude!

Patty

I'm an old lady and I enjoy everything from football to opera. I'm even familiar with the contemporary artist's music mentioned. ( Need to keep up with the grandkids.) Fortunately there's room for all on the Solstice Class ships. Just more great choices for everyone.:)

[quote name='greeneg']My hope is that they will pretty much leave the M class ships for old fogies like me who just like to be at sea, go interesting places, enjoy my meals, read a good book, and try to avoid the Ole, Ole, Ole experience. Dining with old and new friends, good conversation, an interesting lecture or two, that's more my style.

Otherwise, we'll be back in the Market after 10 years with X.[/QUOTE]
Ed, if they get like that I'll probably be off too, but I didn't see the presentation that way. Everything I saw seemed to suggest more exciting choice in some lovely and very well thought out venues. They are using an area which I personally feel could be made more use of anyway. The space around the golf shop for instance was always dead. Even with these additions there are still plenty of quiet places to read and kick back and hopefully your friends will still be there to eat with somewhere;)

Phil

Archived