Suggested Gratuities set to increase

prc

I think some folks like a lot of interaction with their servers and some don't. It really is up to the crew to try and determine what the likes of their customer is on any particular sailing. We rather enjoy the interaction. However, on one cruise our waiter, who had recently been promoted from assistant, kept telling us over and over again how important it was for him to get "excellent" on our comment cards. The fact is that the service he provided deserved an excellent. But I remember looking at my brother one night and saying that if the guy asked one more time for us to him him an excellent he may just loose it.

I just found it a bit annoying.

We like the interaction as well, but I agree--that is a bit unbecoming. It just shows you how much those comment cards really mean.

Just back from a 12 day trip on Explorer and I firmly believe in paying the Gratuities in cash at the end.

I endured the worst waiter I have come across for 6 days before giving up and eating in the Windjammer - needless to say he got Hee Haw of a gratuity.

3 days out of 6 he got the order completley wrong, 1 day he took the order from 3 of us then rushed to serve 6 Americans that had just arrived in the Dining Room before I stopped him and mentioned that he had missed my order - the reply of "No I have not - you will wait till I have served these people" just confirmed what a pillock I thought he was.

I believe that good staff will always earn a deserved gratuity and the poorer ones will now suffer more. My room maid was excellent and fully deserved her gratuity. RCI have to take account of the difference in cultures between the UK and the USA.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Rest assured that it's not the "American way" to run off and help anoher table while in the midst of taking orders at a table.

Just back from a 12 day trip on Explorer and I firmly believe in paying the Gratuities in cash at the end.

I endured the worst waiter I have come across for 6 days before giving up and eating in the Windjammer - needless to say he got Hee Haw of a gratuity.

3 days out of 6 he got the order completley wrong, 1 day he took the order from 3 of us then rushed to serve 6 Americans that had just arrived in the Dining Room before I stopped him and mentioned that he had missed my order - the reply of "No I have not - you will wait till I have served these people" just confirmed what a pillock I thought he was.

I believe that good staff will always earn a deserved gratuity and the poorer ones will now suffer more. My room maid was excellent and fully deserved her gratuity. RCI have to take account of the difference in cultures between the UK and the USA.

Someone mentioned that pier porters will want an increase in their tips too.

A little off point but I always wonder if I am tipping enough (5bucks a bag) is this enough so don't find my bags in the Hudson river

Wow, that's a lot. I only do one MAYBE 2 per bag. It's people like you that make them expect more from cheapos like me :p

I don't think people should have to pay for bad service but on the other hand I don't think lines can fully trust all of their pax to do the right thing and actually tip their crew accordingly.

Lots of cheapskates out there.:(

We always tip well and give over the suggested amount for really good service. But tipping was always intended to reward service over and above the norm so why do so many cruisers feel they are paying part of the employees wage and if they decide they did not get good service made to feel guilty if they withold a tip?

It seems the biggest cheapskates out there are the Cruise Line - why don't they pay their employees a good wage and not leave them depending on tips!

A little off point but I always wonder if I am tipping enough (5bucks a bag) is this enough so don't find my bags in the Hudson river

The porters are salaried; no tip is expected. While the room steward and waiter on the ship have a salary of about $50 per month, the "porter" at the pier taking your luggage is actually a unionized longshoremen earning about $50 per hour. If you are just handing your bag to them as you board the ship, all they do is put it on a cart, wheel the cart a few yards and other people take over from there. No need to tip.

The porters are salaried; no tip is expected. While the room steward and waiter on the ship have a salary of about $50 per month, the "porter" at the pier taking your luggage is actually a unionized longshoremen earning about $50 per hour. If you are just handing your bag to them as you board the ship, all they do is put it on a cart, wheel the cart a few yards and other people take over from there. No need to tip.

Not even close.

MAYBE some of them are making that in overtime hours (highly doubtful), but I'm sure they keep their hours in check. Just because you are a unionized worker it does not mean you're making a bunch of money. And you can't be salaried and earn an hourly wage at the same time....

If you want to be cheap, then be cheap. Let's call a spade a spade and not make anymore excuses. In regards to "all they do is wheel luggage a few yards" - you try throwing around 50lb bags for 8 hours and see how your back/arms/legs feel afterwards, and in the 100 degree heat and 150% humidity. Give the guy a buck or two. It won't kill you.

Hahaha. Really guys? "Gee, I really want to go on a cruise but that $2 extra a day for tips... just can't wing this trip..." lmao. Some people just complain about everything... don't sweat the small stuff.

Actually, I don't see much whining or complaining about the increase going on in this thread: it's mostly just a discussion about the increase.

The biggest complaints are about tipping the porters at the dock.

Have you, and either of the next two posters, considered that the hard working (working 16 hour days, 10 months a year without seeing their families) crew members did not make this ruling? They are happy to just get a job, and most of them work much harder than most of us do.

If you have a problem, you need to contact the RCI management.

Once again, just because RCI management raised the "guidelines" on tipping, does not mean you have to tip more. Just let your conscious be your guide.

What conscience? There are so many people who spend all their money on drinks, gambling, shore excursions etc. that when tip time comes around, there is no money left to give the people who served you well all week. It's even more common with families as having a couple of kids along sure ups the tip amount.

I agree with the poster who said that if you can't afford the tips, perhaps cruising isn't for you. I wonder what these people do when they go out to a restaurant? Is it like one poster said of an acquaintance? I'll never see these people again? Cheap, cheap, cheap. I'm sure they don't tell the servers they aren't going to tip. I wouldn't be surprised that they are very demanding also.

Oh well, we usually tip extra as we have had great service. I couldn't imagine stiffing the staff. Go ahead, flame away!

Actually, I don't see much whining or complaining about the increase going on in this thread: it's mostly just a discussion about the increase.

The biggest complaints are about tipping the porters at the dock.

Read the whole post - there's plenty. Even people who say 'yet another reason to not sail RCI.'

As far as the porters go - I already commented on that. It's just ridiculous imo that people complain about pennies. Bottom line is you do not have to tip - but don't make excuses for it. People are being cheap, and they are allowed to be. But it is what it is.

What someone does with their money is their business. But I see people who have dozens of cruises listed in their names here who are upset about a couple bucks. Come on... really? Just don't tip, and be done with it if that's what you want to do. Stop thinking up reasons to make yourself feel better about it.

Not even close.

MAYBE some of them are making that in overtime hours (highly doubtful), but I'm sure they keep their hours in check. Just because you are a unionized worker it does not mean you're making a bunch of money. And you can't be salaried and earn an hourly wage at the same time....

If you want to be cheap, then be cheap. Let's call a spade a spade and not make anymore excuses. In regards to "all they do is wheel luggage a few yards" - you try throwing around 50lb bags for 8 hours and see how your back/arms/legs feel afterwards, and in the 100 degree heat and 150% humidity. Give the guy a buck or two. It won't kill you.

It is not being cheap to not tip fully salaried people for doing their basic job duties, it is common sense. I could also tip the captain of the cruise ship a buck or two per port; that wouldn't kill me either. I don't tip people who are not meant to be tipped. I am very generous in tipping people such as the waiters and room stewards on the cruise ship as they are earning a minimal salary that is expected to be supplemented by tip.

Do you also tip the several other people who are involved in getting your luggage from the pier to your stateroom? The "porter" you hand it off to just has possession of your luggage for a few seconds. Several other people then become involved at various intervals (conducting security screening, having the luggage lifted onto the ship, sorted and delivered to your stateroom - the "porter" at the pier does none of this). How about the people at the airport who offload your luggage from the plane and get it to the baggage claim terminal. They too are working long hours lifting heavy luggage, often in heat, cold or rain - and they are getting paid far less than the "porters" at the cruise terminal.

If you want to give your money away to someone earning a generous salary for doing their basic job duties, that is fine - but do not go around calling people cheap who are not so foolish with their money.

I think that the current tipping guidelines are too low, so I don't have a problem with an increase in the guideline. I do wish that RCI would follow the other mass market lines that automatically add a daily service charge. It would simplify things for the passengers and probably increase the take home pay of a lot of the crew.

I wonder if your waiter assumed that you weren't going to tip him anyway, based on your nationality. Nothing like a self-fulfilling prophecy, is there?

RCI does take cultures into account in some locations, anyway - Australians have gratuties included in their cruise fare, and in February on Rhapsody the prices on the wine list for the Australians were higher than on the wine list we received (we found out because toward the end of the cruise we were given the wrong list).

I think $5/bag is insane. We may tip $5 for two large suitcases, but usually it's $1-2/bag. But then I usually only have to worry about the LA channel, not the Hudson River.;)

It is not being cheap to not tip fully salaried people for doing their basic job duties, it is common sense.
I agree; however, not all ship employees are "fully salaried people". For example, people in these jobs receive a salary: Security, store clerks, Guest Relations workers, laundry staff, children's club staff -- the list could go on, as most of the cruise staff are salaried. No need to tip them. In contrast, the wait staff and the housekeeping staff are paid by tips.

A cruiser with common sense will investigate this ahead of time so that he or she will tip appropriately rather than just throwing money around in the dark.

I agree; however, not all ship employees are "fully salaried people". For example, people in these jobs receive a salary: Security, store clerks, Guest Relations workers, laundry staff, children's club staff -- the list could go on, as most of the cruise staff are salaried. No need to tip them. In contrast, the wait staff and the housekeeping staff are paid by tips.

A cruiser with common sense will investigate this ahead of time so that he or she will tip appropriately rather than just throwing money around in the dark.

I absolutely agree. I never said all ship employees are fully salaried - the "porters" are not even ship employees they are longshoremen. I tip my waiters and room steward very generously; I have given them extra beyond the recommended gratuities on every cruise but one (where I just did the recommended gratuities as the service was just fair).

If they're really making $50 an hour, I'm tempted to drop out of law school...

It is not being cheap to not tip fully salaried people for doing their basic job duties, it is common sense. I could also tip the captain of the cruise ship a buck or two per port; that wouldn't kill me either. I don't tip people who are not meant to be tipped. I am very generous in tipping people such as the waiters and room stewards on the cruise ship as they are earning a minimal salary that is expected to be supplemented by tip.

Do you also tip the several other people who are involved in getting your luggage from the pier to your stateroom? The "porter" you hand it off to just has possession of your luggage for a few seconds. Several other people then become involved at various intervals (conducting security screening, having the luggage lifted onto the ship, sorted and delivered to your stateroom - the "porter" at the pier does none of this). How about the people at the airport who offload your luggage from the plane and get it to the baggage claim terminal. They too are working long hours lifting heavy luggage, often in heat, cold or rain - and they are getting paid far less than the "porters" at the cruise terminal.

If you want to give your money away to someone earning a generous salary for doing their basic job duties, that is fine - but do not go around calling people cheap who are not so foolish with their money.

Obviously I don't tip ANY of those people because it's nearly impossible. But I'm sure union regs require them to share tips. The porter who you actually see will provide you with information as well. If you don't have your luggage tag - he'll help you, if you need any other accomodations or have any questions - he'll help you. Sure, he's making an hourly wage but it's nowhere near $50/hr. I don't call this a generous salary. I call it a hard earned paycheck.

Do you like embarking/debarking on time? Like it when your luggage arrives at your stateroom? When your bags aren't destroyed? These guys are union workers like you said - they are contracted out by the cruiselines. But that doesn't mean that they don't deserve a small gratitude of thank you and sign of appreciation. I'm not talking about $10, or even $5... 2 bucks is all it takes to show these guys you appreciate their work. Believe me, they know how to work a little bit slower and that early flight that you can book on your way home may eventually get out of reach. These guys have a huge impact in regards to how smoothly your vacation goes. To me, it's worth 2 bucks for them to take care of my things.

JFK used to have free curbside check-in. Now it's $5... wonder why? You don't think these guys will try to negotiate a higher contract if nobody's tipping them? You don't think that higher contract will impact your cruise fare? Think about it... there's more to it than "he earns enough money." These guys have a lot more control then you think - it's up to us to keep them happy and keep everything running smoothly.

You don't want to tip them? It's absolutely up to you... you earned your money and by all means you have 100% control over how it's spent. But I don't really think you're looking at the big picture.

O

Do you like embarking/debarking on time? Like it when your luggage arrives at your stateroom? When your bags aren't destroyed? These guys are union workers like you said - they are contracted out by the cruiselines. But that doesn't mean that they don't deserve a small gratitude of thank you and sign of appreciation. I'm not talking about $10, or even $5... 2 bucks is all it takes to show these guys you appreciate their work.

Part of your port fees goes to their pay - you are already paying for their service in your cruise fare. They are fully salaried and are not receiving a low wage expected to be supplemented by tips. Tipping them is the equivalent of going to a land based restaurant where there is a sign saying an 18% gratuity has automatically been included in your bill, and then tipping the server 18% if they proffer you average service. You seem to think that the people who take your luggage at the cruise terminal do a lot more than is the case; they have almost zero to do with how fast you receive you luggage; all they do is place the luggage you hand them on the cart that is right next to them, push the cart a few yards, and then others take over from there.

Now if you have them do extra work such as carry your luggage out to your car, cab etc. at the end of the cruise, I certainly understand tipping them as you are having them do extra work in the form of a personalized service for you. However if all you are doing is handing them your luggage as you enter the cruise terminal, they are simply carrying out their basic job duties for which you have already paid them (via the port fees you pay in your cruise fare) and no gratitude is needed beyond giving them a thank you.

If they're really making $50 an hour, I'm tempted to drop out of law school...

I wouldn't recommend it; they are highly, highly coveted positions where you need connections to land a job. They earn upper middle class salaries without tips and when they are serving as porters they are often working overtime and earning time and a half. With the ridiculous amount of money most cruise passengers throw at them, they are easily pulling in hundreds of dollars an hour during that detail. All they are doing is pushing your luggage a few yards on a cart and moving on to the next group of people. They handle hundreds of people's luggage in a few hour period - so if every tips them a few bucks, they rake in over $1,000 in tips for the morning in addition to their nice salary.

We usually tip the porters/luggage handlers $2.00 - $3.00 per bag the morning we leave. I think that is an appropriate amount for them to put my bag on the luggage carrier sitting right beside them. We also try to tip the luggage handler on the cruise ship if we see them also. We don't have a problem with this. As one gentlemen said we are very happy when we get our luggage and it isn't damaged or lost.

I have just returned from a TA on Adventure I purchased the prepaid gratuities. My stateroom attendant did my room 3 times before midday and the rest up to 14.45 in the afternoon and they want me to give him a 40% increase. No amount of asking and putting the Make My Room up card in the door helped. The Head Waiter appear at my dining table for the first time on day 13 his tip is still in my wife`s hand bag.

Yet only an 8% increase for the waiter and 12% for the assistant waiter I have always prepaid my gratuities but not any more.

What conscience? There are so many people who spend all their money on drinks, gambling, shore excursions etc. that when tip time comes around, there is no money left to give the people who served you well all week. It's even more common with families as having a couple of kids along sure ups the tip amount.

I agree with the poster who said that if you can't afford the tips, perhaps cruising isn't for you. I wonder what these people do when they go out to a restaurant? Is it like one poster said of an acquaintance? I'll never see these people again? Cheap, cheap, cheap. I'm sure they don't tell the servers they aren't going to tip. I wouldn't be surprised that they are very demanding also.

Oh well, we usually tip extra as we have had great service. I couldn't imagine stiffing the staff. Go ahead, flame away!

Love this post!

Archived