Suggested Gratuities set to increase

prc

I don't think people should have to pay for bad service but on the other hand I don't think lines can fully trust all of their pax to do the right thing and actually tip their crew accordingly.

Lots of cheapskates out there.:(

Unfortunately I was the opposite on our Freedom cruise two months after it came out in 2006 as I tipped when I shouldn't have. We had the worst MDR service that we have ever had on a ship, but it was only from the waiter. The assistant waiter was great, but he had to work his tail off making up for the waiter's poor service and he definitely deserved a tip and more. As I think back now I shouldn't have tipped the waiter, but I did at the time.

I think it will justify more people not tipping. Right now there are those who feel that if they eat most of their meals in specialty, they shouldn't tip MDR staff for every night. (I don't necessarily disagree with this) When they raise the amount suggested, it makes it more of an issue.

i am going to reposnd to this and i really don't want folks jumping down my throat for say this...if this is the first increase in 13 yrs...it's well worth it...and these guys and gals work like dogs to make your vaCATION A GREAT EXPERINCE...SO $ 2 OR 3 DOLLARS MORE should not be an issue...if it is then maybe you should not go on a cruise...come on folks...

That is just a quide line, as in all tipping. I will sometimes tip more, much more for superior service, and less for horrible service.

Tipping is supposed to be an incentive...not a given.

Agreed. I have always tipped more than the suggested cruise tips. On the other hand, I wish they would do away with the automatic 15% charge on all drink orders, as this is far and above what bartenders usually get tipped on the mainland.

Looks like we all agree that it is no big deal I probably never would have realized that there was an increase of less than $2.00 a day if the OP wasn't nice enough to bring it to our attention. I also prepaid the recommended amount and then add extra at the end of our cruise.

I don't think people should have to pay for bad service but on the other hand I don't think lines can fully trust all of their pax to do the right thing and actually tip their crew accordingly.

Lots of cheapskates out there.:(

I agree. There are lots of cheapskates out there.

In addition, in some countries, it is not customary to tip. These passengers should be reminded that on RC cruises it is customary to tip for good service.

We always tip extra for great service(which is most of the time). Think of what it would cost you for tips in a local hotel or restaurant. RC's guidelines are really low in comparison.

Wondering if you prepay to avoid the increase, does it mean your steward and waiters get the lower tips or will RC pick up the difference. I assume they will receive the higher amount either way unless they color code the tip slips.

As reported on Seatrade Insider,

Royal Caribbean International is raising its recommended gratuities for sailings that commence on or after July 1, 2011.

The new recommended daily amounts for dining staff and housekeeping staff will total $11.65 per passenger, up from $9.75, and $13.90 per suite guest, up from $12.

This is the first gratuities guideline adjustment in 13 years.

Passengers who prepay gratuities or select the My Time Dining flexible dining program before 12:01 a.m. US Eastern Time this Saturday for sailings on or after July 1 will not be affected by the adjusted guideline.

Although this is what is being reported by various news sources, it is not what is happening at Royal Caribbean, any prepaid gratuities or MTD selections made today are being charged the new rate.

From RCCL.Com Website"Q: I booked my cruise before this adjustment. Do the new guidelines apply to my cruise? s.gif A: Royal Caribbean will not change the gratuities for any bookings that set sail before July 1, 2011.

Pre-existing bookings for sail dates on or after July 1, 2011 will not have increased gratuity guidelines as long as they meet at least one of the following requirements:

• The booking shows that prepaid gratuities were selected before 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern time on 12/11/10
  • The booking shows that My Time Dining was selected before 12:01 a.m. U.S. Eastern time on 12/11/"

I normally leave extra in the room as I leave on the last day. That way I am sure that 'my people' will get what they deserve. I try to tip the wait staff extra too on that last evening. However, tipping the Maitre D' is not on MY list of things to do unless he or she takes the time to stop by my table at least once during the cruise to ask how things are going. Usually they stand at the door and all they say is 'Hello' or in the case of one snooty Assistant who, when asked where the hand sanitizers were, said 'Madame, we are assuming that you will have washed your hands before coming into the dining room'. No tip for him!

In some cases I have asked the Maitre D' for something special and he has obliged or at least informed me that I could have 'it' the next night. THEN he received a nice tip from me. Even though they are responsible for a certain number of tables and making sure that the service gets performed speedily, if I don't see their faces in my area, I will assume that they do not care about the passengers in their charge.

I normally leave extra in the room as I leave on the last day. That way I am sure that 'my people' will get what they deserve. I try to tip the wait staff extra too on that last evening. However, tipping the Maitre D' is not on MY list of things to do unless he or she takes the time to stop by my table at least once during the cruise to ask how things are going. Usually they stand at the door and all they say is 'Hello' or in the case of one snooty Assistant who, when asked where the hand sanitizers were, said 'Madame, we are assuming that you will have washed your hands before coming into the dining room'. No tip for him!

In some cases I have asked the Maitre D' for something special and he has obliged or at least informed me that I could have 'it' the next night. THEN he received a nice tip from me. Even though they are responsible for a certain number of tables and making sure that the service gets performed speedily, if I don't see their faces in my area, I will assume that they do not care about the passengers in their charge.

You are confusing the Maitre D' with your Head Waiter.

I am glad they are raising it. We have encountered nothing but hard working waiters and stewards on all of our cruises with Royal. They have had the lowest "suggested" tipping rate of the major lines. These people deserve it!

My DH and I were talking with one of his friends over dinner a few weeks ago about tipping and I was appalled to hear him speak. He told us that he NEVER tips on cruises because he will never see these people again so he could care less. I gave him an earful about how hard they work and he sat there giggling like a 10 year old. We left the restaurant and he told my husband that he didn't tip the waitress that served us. Needless to say, we don't do dinner with him anymore nor do we ever plan to cruise with him!!

Just another "excuse" for those who do not tip to justify their non tipping -- too high, too much per day, etc. Pick one excuse:(!

Unfortunately you are probably correct. A first increase in 13 years and even at the higher rate we are talking peanuts when compared to the cruise fare and the other costs of cruising but it is the one thing that people seem to focus on, perhaps because it is one area where they have almost total control and can, except when booking MTD, choose to follow the guidelines or not. Rarely, if ever, has the service we have received not been commensurate with the suggested tipping level.

The thought of having to tip these people more disgusts me as they are already fat cats pulling a lot of cash! They make a ton of money and have a pretty easy job while traveling the entire world. The staff makes so much in tips and are pretty loaded for what they do as they live on a nice cruise ship. I prefer lines that don’t make me tip and just include it in the price.

The thought of having to tip these people more disgusts me as they are already fat cats pulling a lot of cash! They make a ton of money and have a pretty easy job while traveling the entire world. The staff makes so much in tips and are pretty loaded for what they do as they live on a nice cruise ship. I prefer lines that don’t make me tip and just include it in the price.

Very valid and accurate points. Thanks for posting.

Edit...Did not think I needed the sarcasm smiley but I guess I should have put it in.

This is just a real excuse for YOU to give a raise to the crew cause the cruise line is too CHEAP to give them one on their own

I'm sorry but it's a business. They could easily pay their employees and make tipping optional, but then the price of the cruise would increase. When people look for a cruise, they don't care whether or not tips are included when they book, they only care where they can save a few bucks. If they see a cheapest price somewhere else where tips aren't included, they'll probably still go with them even if they're paying more in the long run. The same goes for airlines. When you go to book a flight most people don't care whether or not bags fly free or you get a meal, they only care about which flight is the absolute cheapest. Thats why the airlines get away with charging for bags.

Have you, and either of the next two posters, considered that the hard working (working 16 hour days, 10 months a year without seeing their families) crew members did not make this ruling? They are happy to just get a job, and most of them work much harder than most of us do.

If you have a problem, you need to contact the RCI management.

Once again, just because RCI management raised the "guidelines" on tipping, does not mean you have to tip more. Just let your conscious be your guide.

This is just a real excuse for YOU to give a raise to the crew cause the cruise line is too CHEAP to give them one on their own

no, it's the equivalent of the service industry raising the the suggested tip from 10 to 15 %. remember that?

Archived