Suggested Gratuities set to increase

prc

Tipping shouldn't be a given. But, if service is acceptable or great, tips should be at the suggested rate or higher. Perhaps I feel this way because I waitressed all through college and know how it feels to work your butt off and get a crappy tip. If service is poor I have been known to give a poor tip -- not on cruise, since our first one will be in January, but at restaurants I have definitely done this.

I too noticed the increase is for the Housekeeping staff, from $3.50 to $5.00 per day. Why not the dining room staff as well; don't they also merit an increase?

NO one wants to be the first to start with the fuel surcharge; I hope this is not RCI's idea of a replacement. Just a fleeting thought. Hope I am wrong. :confused:

Waiters/Assistant waiters, "crew members" make $50 a month....and for every 4 weeks they work, they work one week for free. The guys working in the Windjammer at night for dinner....are working for free. I can honestly attest to the fact that all of them work 10+ hours a day, every day....no days off...7-10 month contracts. When you as guests are nice to them, it really brightens their days/weeks/months.....because behind the scenes, the supervisors treat them terribly. Yes, they are visiting beautiful places around the world. Yes, they are living for free. But it’s certainly not a luxury life for them. Most of them spend their little time off sleeping. Plus, they have to pay for their flight (one way) if they want to return to work for another contract....depending upon where they are from, that can be pretty expensive.

I'm an American who spent almost 2 years working for Royal. I was a "staff" member. I wanted to travel, meet people, and have fun.....I did exactly that! Staff members make a set salary, depending on position. I was paid $1560 per month....cash, with taxes deducted. I was working for the experience of a lifetime; however, my experience changed my life forever.

I'm happy that I've found the exciting world of Cruise Critic. I'm also very happy to know that 99% of you appreciate and care about the hard working crew members. Reading all of your posts really warmed my heart.

still a bargain.

i still can't get the wife to serve me three meals a day and clean my room for $10 a day.

Good one! Sure you can...see below :D

$10 - in a 3rd world countries

$100 - maid (in U.S)

$1000 - wife (in U.S)

Free - do it yourself (self-serve) :D

That's just it, folks. We are ALREADY paying for the service, which is reflected in the price. If you are on a $299-5 day trip, well, that's something else. I will say it again--why are we tipping for a service that is expected in return for what we paid? Tipping has gotten out of hand--we are paying people to do their jobs. Yes, if someone goes far and beyond, then tip. But not for the level you expect based on the price you pay.

That's just it, folks. We are ALREADY paying for the service, which is reflected in the price. If you are on a $299-5 day trip, well, that's something else. I will say it again--why are we tipping for a service that is expected in return for what we paid? Tipping has gotten out of hand--we are paying people to do their jobs. Yes, if someone goes far and beyond, then tip. But not for the level you expect based on the price you pay.

Their service isn't included in the price, hence the tips. No portion of your cruise fare goes to them. And if you haven't checked prices recently, most of them are that cheap. Why are they that cheap? Because you're expected to pay for your service in addition to that fare. Got a problem with it? Check the prepaid box and you won't have to think about it again.

Something tells me you're not from America. Not meant as an insult, but thats generally how people from other countries think because the culture is different. Servers at restaurants here are paid $2.15 an hour with the rest expected to come from tips.

I am glad they are raising it. We have encountered nothing but hard working waiters and stewards on all of our cruises with Royal. They have had the lowest "suggested" tipping rate of the major lines. These people deserve it!

My DH and I were talking with one of his friends over dinner a few weeks ago about tipping and I was appalled to hear him speak. He told us that he NEVER tips on cruises because he will never see these people again so he could care less. I gave him an earful about how hard they work and he sat there giggling like a 10 year old. We left the restaurant and he told my husband that he didn't tip the waitress that served us. Needless to say, we don't do dinner with him anymore nor do we ever plan to cruise with him!!

Unfortunately, this happens a lot and it's been going on a long time. Just look around the dining room on the last night. A lot of people skip out of the DR so they don't have to tip.

Their service isn't included in the price, hence the tips. No portion of your cruise fare goes to them. And if you haven't checked prices recently, most of them are that cheap. Why are they that cheap? Because you're expected to pay for your service in addition to that fare. Got a problem with it? Check the prepaid box and you won't have to think about it again.

Something tells me you're not from America. Not meant as an insult, but thats generally how people from other countries think because the culture is different. Servers at restaurants here are paid $2.15 an hour with the rest expected to come from tips.

How do you know that? I don't mean that in a wise guy type of way. But I have no idea how RCI allocates the money that I pay for a cruise. How does anyone else find that information?

And if we truly are paying for the service in addition to the cruise then they should call it a service charge instead of a gratuity as the two really do have entirely different meanings. Maybe that is what causes some of the confusion.

No, the question is....why are you paying it? I suggest you find another mode of vacation since you obviously can't accept the terms of this one.

I think they deserve the extra tip, the staff really makes my trip memorable. If RCI would pay them more, I imagine cruising would become more expensive, so I think I prefer to spend $2 extra a day in tipping. IMHO. I usually even tip more, just because some of them do an incredible job. :D

Cindy

Having worked in the service industry before, I always tip more then the suggested amount, including on a cruise ship. Theses people work harder and longer hours then roughly 90% of the people ever going on a cruise.

My thought on this increase is I think R.C. was getting some upset employees and promised them some sort of a raise. Instead of allocating more of the operational budget to salary they are pushing it off to the consumer for the increase which to me is not a great return for the employee since the tip is not automatic where a pay increase through corporate would be.

Hello,

I no more want to ‘employ’ a slave vicariously than I do directly so always tip the minimum and generally more (sorry, apart from on MSC).

For anyone attempting to save on the increase by paying earlier, by my simple maths (sorry, math to the Americans), paying for my August 2011 cruise will save me GB£ 22 but cost me GB£80 in lost interest on the payment. Yet I am convinced that some will do it if only to prove a point.

Regards,

Cublet

In the U.S. hospitality industry front-line workers rely primarily on tips for their income and it's no different on cruise ships. Their base wage is set very low and the remainder is made up in tips, so if you are paying for the service in your fare it's not much. Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (I know, it doesn't cover foreign flagged cruise ships but I'm using it as an example) employers of tipped employees are only required to pay their workers $2.13 per hour as long as their tips bring them above federal minimum wage.

My complaint on this is the same one I have had since "Day 1" of my cruising.

I dislike the use of the word "Gratuity." A gratuity is something given out of gratitude; appreciation for something done (not to be done).

It might also be interesting to know that a TIP, was historically, something given in advance of the meal/service, "To Insure Promptness."

When, as in RCI Anytime Dining, it is mandatory, then it is not a gratuity, it is a service charge.

The couple of dollars extra is nothing for the GREAT personal service we have always received on our cruises; all lines we have used.

It might also be interesting to know that a TIP, was historically, something given in advance of the meal/service, "To Insure Promptness."

That is an old wives tale. Why would you insure promptness? I can see insuring one's car, one's house etc. but I have never heard of somebody insuring promptness. What agency sells such insurance? :confused:

You are correct that the cruise lines should call the "tip" a "service charge" rather than a gratuity or a tip. The terms seem to confuse a lot of people. Basically passengers are paying the waiters' and room stewards' salaries through the $11.50 or what not per day.

Hello,

I no more want to ‘employ’ a slave vicariously than I do directly so always tip the minimum and generally more (sorry, apart from on MSC).

For anyone attempting to save on the increase by paying earlier, by my simple maths (sorry, math to the Americans), paying for my August 2011 cruise will save me GB£ 22 but cost me GB£80 in lost interest on the payment. Yet I am convinced that some will do it if only to prove a point.

Regards,

Cublet

So you can get £80 in interest on an investment of £22, in 8 months?? what back are you using??:confused:

Their job seems fun to me is a lot easier than what I for a living negotiating high-level contracts. I can barely take six to eight vacations a year while they are all but on a continous paid vacation.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that today! I just can't stop laughing!!!!! Word of advice, I hope your grammar in "high-level" contracts is better than what you type on here!

Unfortunately, this happens a lot and it's been going on a long time. Just look around the dining room on the last night. A lot of people skip out of the DR so they don't have to tip.

We rarely go to dinner in the DR on the last night, and we always tip. I don't know where people get that idea; I'm sure it happens, but there are so many reasons that people don't go to the MDR-period--and I bet most of these reasons are not to get out of tipping. We're usually sick of the MDR food by the last night, and just want to relax and enjoy our last night.

Yes, slightly off topic, I know, but again, if RCI wants to give them a raise, give them a raise. These folks work really hard and we'll continue to tip as appropriate, but let's call this what it is.

Archived