Suggested Gratuities set to increase

prc

Why is that.........because they increased the gratuity guidelines to $1.90pp more?:eek:

No, it is just another move from RCCL I don't like...

Last year I took a New Year's cruise on the Adventure of the Seas. Not a cheap cruise at more than $1,500 for a week/person. After taking my first shower on board I noticed there were no shampoo or conditioner on my balcony stateroom so I asked my cabin attendant for some. His shocking response: only guests staying on suites get those nowadays! My comment on the survey card at the end of the cruise: "it seems the only people with hair on their heads are the ones staying on suites."

And come on, it is a New Years cruise, isn't that a very special occasion? Well, I had taken with me a really good bottle of wine for dinner that evening. First of all it was taken from my carry on luggage as I was boarding (yes, it was returned to me the last evening). However some other people were able to bring wine bottles onboard but they couldn't get them opened on the dining room since corkage of bottles brought by passengers had completely been discontinued. Well, my response to that, before my bar bill used to be around $200-300 per cruise. On that New Year's cruise when they started nickel and diming us, my bar bill for the whole week was $45!

Increasing the tips is just adding to the list of changes made by RCCL I don't like when compared to other cruise lines. And don't take me wrong, I am a diamond member with them so I have been to many RCCL sailings over the last decade and have seen the quality of RCCL going down over time...

Andres

First of all, there should be no "Guidelines to Gratuity"! Service should meet a certain level of expectation, PERIOD. If one performs beyond that expectation, then the customer should tip as much as one feels is necessary.

Cruiseline and restaurant owners should cease taking advantage of payroll tax/benefit laws, and pay their employees to live up to the expectation of service. Rewards go to those who perform beyond expectation, PERIOD.

First of all, there should be no "Guidelines to Gratuity"! Service should meet a certain level of expectation, PERIOD. If one performs beyond that expectation, then the customer should tip as much as one feels is necessary.

Cruiseline and restaurant owners should cease taking advantage of payroll tax/benefit laws, and pay their employees to live up to the expectation of service. Rewards go to those who perform beyond expectation, PERIOD.

In an ideal world, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon. For the time being you're responsible for paying the employees, not the company. If someone feels that it's the companies responsibility and they refuse to tip, they're not exactly hurting the company.

In an ideal world, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon. For the time being you're responsible for paying the employees, not the company. If someone feels that it's the companies responsibility and they refuse to tip, they're not exactly hurting the company.

"An Ideal World" is almost everywhere besides the US. Ancillarily, eventually not tipping would hurt the companies, as they couldn't retain the quality of staff that they seek, thus damaging reputations.

"An Ideal World" is almost everywhere besides the US. Ancillarily, eventually not tipping would hurt the companies, as they couldn't retain the quality of staff that they seek, thus damaging reputations.

As others have commented on here, whether RCCL builds gratuities into the cost of the cruise or recommends them, the customer is still paying for the service. If RCCL built the tips into the prices, prices would go up and people looking at the raw cost of their cruise might be less likely to book, ultimately hurting RCI's bottom line. They know what they're doing and they know how to make money. Until then, failing to tip adequately only harms the crew.

I think the tips should be added in to the price of the cruise. They shouldn't be tips, they should just be a higher wage. And if you have someone go above and beyond or just if you want to you can tip them. A cruise is a whole service based vacation and worrying about how much to have to tip shouldn't be involved. It may seem as if the rates are higher then for a cruise but its not, you would have to pay the tips anyways so i don't see how that is a problem. I would see it as an advantage, you would have a better idea of what you were spending from the get go.

I think the tips should be added in to the price of the cruise. They shouldn't be tips, they should just be a higher wage. And if you have someone go above and beyond or just if you want to you can tip them. A cruise is a whole service based vacation and worrying about how much to have to tip shouldn't be involved. It may seem as if the rates are higher then for a cruise but its not, you would have to pay the tips anyways so i don't see how that is a problem. I would see it as an advantage, you would have a better idea of what you were spending from the get go.

Obviously most cruiselines don't share your opinion and if you aren't capable of factoring in the additional cost of tips (the suggested amounts aren't exactly a secret), perhaps you need a little more help in the budgeting process, When you go out to eat at your local restaurant don't you factor in a 15%-20% tip when you are getting an idea of what you will be spending on that occasion? You are asking for a sea change in a process that has been in effect for decades and there is little or no advantage for them to do so. Perhaps you should begin your mission by lobbying your local legislature to change minimum wage laws to eliminate the special provisions that apply to restaurant workers. Once you have succeeded in that effort and the laws have been changed nationwide, you can direct your attention to the cruise industry.:rolleyes:

Obviously most cruiselines don't share your opinion and if you aren't capable of factoring in the additional cost of tips (the suggested amounts aren't exactly a secret), perhaps you need a little more help in the budgeting process, When you go out to eat at your local restaurant don't you factor in a 15%-20% tip when you are getting an idea of what you will be spending on that occasion? You are asking for a sea change in a process that has been in effect for decades and there is little or no advantage for them to do so. Perhaps you should begin your mission by lobbying your local legislature to change minimum wage laws to eliminate the special provisions that apply to restaurant workers. Once you have succeeded in that effort and the laws have been changed nationwide, you can direct your attention to the cruise industry.:rolleyes:

Im glad you are so passionate about this, but my opinion was just that, my opinion. You didnt need to reply as if I was some sort of imbecile. Obviously I dont expect the entire cruise industry to change the way they have been doing things since the dawn of time, but I think I am able to enjoy my opinion of how they should charge. Perhaps you should think these things before going off on a soapbox rant like you are somehow better than me. Complete with the eyerolls.

People keep saying they wish RCI would include the tips in the cruise price. You do know they have that option, right? If that's what you want, then do it. But for those of us who like to tip via the other options, let us do it our way. That's why RCI offers 3 different tipping options...to suit 3 different preferences.

As others have commented on here, whether RCCL builds gratuities into the cost of the cruise or recommends them, the customer is still paying for the service. If RCCL built the tips into the prices, prices would go up and people looking at the raw cost of their cruise might be less likely to book, ultimately hurting RCI's bottom line. They know what they're doing and they know how to make money. Until then, failing to tip adequately only harms the crew.

On the contrary- I think if they just STOPPED the tipping insanity and included it into the cost of the cruise- many more people WOULD cruise. I think there are many people that would cruise if the nickel and diming would be cut. My husband and I don't cruise b/c we are not into getting on a ship for $499 for a week only to find out that excursions are 100/pp, drinks are $5-10 plus tip, want a great (special) restaurant? That will be another 20pp...the list goes on.

I have been researching celebrity b/c at least they have drink packages which take some of the guessing out of it. We are huge all inclusive trip fans. Palace resorts in Mexico includes all drinks/food/tipping AND excursions included in their price. I have also been looking into higher end cruiselines that include alcohol and certain extra values which make the 'what will the cost be guessing game' a little bit easier for us.

My parents who are in their late 50s would love to cruise with us (we are in our early 30s) but we all refuse to cruise b/c the true cost of the cruise is a guessing game. We are big drinkers and like to eat high end so cruising is a mine field when it comes to 'what will the TRUE cost be for us?'

We'd much rather be told 3K for a week all inclusive than have to pay $499/pp for the week and have to figure out 'suggested tips'...extra fees for restaurants or in some cases- fees for higher cuts of meat in certain restaurants, costs for drinks and excursions.

I know of MANY people like us too that refuse to cruise b/c the cruise companies won't come up with a 1 stop/1 shop price. If I could find a cruise that included all drinks, all tips and maybe 2-3 excursions from a selected list for 1 price- it would be so much easier. Until then- they are missing out on a huge segment of the population that would like to cruise but decide not to out of fear of the final bill. Thousands- I'd bet millions each year choose an all inclusive trip over cruising due to the guessing game of costs.

i think the tips should be added in to the price of the cruise. They shouldn't be tips, they should just be a higher wage. And if you have someone go above and beyond or just if you want to you can tip them. A cruise is a whole service based vacation and worrying about how much to have to tip shouldn't be involved. It may seem as if the rates are higher then for a cruise but its not, you would have to pay the tips anyways so i don't see how that is a problem. I would see it as an advantage, you would have a better idea of what you were spending from the get go.

:d:d:d

amen!

This can easily be done. If you book your cruise online click the box to prepay tips with final payment. Other ways you can ask your travel agent to include the tips with the final payment or alternatively if you booked directly with Royal Caribbean call them to have the tips included with the final payment. Very easy to do.

However one thing to think about, I have read, likely on these boards when Azamara included tips with their cruise fare, cruise fares went up 25%. So be careful what you wish for.

On the contrary- I think if they just STOPPED the tipping insanity and included it into the cost of the cruise- many more people WOULD cruise. I think there are many people that would cruise if the nickel and diming would be cut. My husband and I don't cruise b/c we are not into getting on a ship for $499 for a week only to find out that excursions are 100/pp, drinks are $5-10 plus tip, want a great (special) restaurant? That will be another 20pp...the list goes on.

I have been researching celebrity b/c at least they have drink packages which take some of the guessing out of it. We are huge all inclusive trip fans. Palace resorts in Mexico includes all drinks/food/tipping AND excursions included in their price. I have also been looking into higher end cruiselines that include alcohol and certain extra values which make the 'what will the cost be guessing game' a little bit easier for us.

My parents who are in their late 50s would love to cruise with us (we are in our early 30s) but we all refuse to cruise b/c the true cost of the cruise is a guessing game. We are big drinkers and like to eat high end so cruising is a mine field when it comes to 'what will the TRUE cost be for us?'

We'd much rather be told 3K for a week all inclusive than have to pay $499/pp for the week and have to figure out 'suggested tips'...extra fees for restaurants or in some cases- fees for higher cuts of meat in certain restaurants, costs for drinks and excursions.

I know of MANY people like us too that refuse to cruise b/c the cruise companies won't come up with a 1 stop/1 shop price. If I could find a cruise that included all drinks, all tips and maybe 2-3 excursions from a selected list for 1 price- it would be so much easier. Until then- they are missing out on a huge segment of the population that would like to cruise but decide not to out of fear of the final bill. Thousands- I'd bet millions each year choose an all inclusive trip over cruising due to the guessing game of costs.

I can understand your point of view, but I disagree that cruising is a guessing game where costs are concerned. Once you know the costs, then you plan for them. If you know approximately how many drinks you consume a day, the cost of the extras, then you can come very close to the actual cost.

I do this for all our cruises to see if they are affordable. The cost of excursions are always available prior to the cruise, and before final payment I do a final estimate. I always add about $500 for miscellaneous.

I'm not going to stop cruising over this, and I don't begrudge the crew the extra money. However, I have 129 total nights of future cruising booked right now for my husband and I. Some is before 7/1/11, but for the sake of discussion let's pretend it's all after 7/1/11. That's a total of $1,502.85 in tips, and THAT'S a chunk of change!! So, if you're looking at that much, it's hitting the pocketbook a lot more than a "mere" $1.90 a day per person. It's an extra almost $250.

I prepaid all my tips last Friday at the old rate. Now, I can add my extra cash to these (which we always do), and pay whomever I think deserves the extra $$, instead of having it decided for me. I'll pay out the same amount of $1,503, but it's going where I want it to go. No guessing at the cost, either.

Yes that is a lot of money but your situation also isn't one of the average cruiser, at least not any I know. On the other hand I'm jealous you have a third of the next year booked at sea

I think my post was a little misleading: that's 129 total nights for two people. It's really a 7 night for two, a b2b for two, a 7 night for one, a 16 night for two, and another 18 night for two. That's from 4/2011 until 4/2012.

Still, I agree, it's not a typical cruise schedule. That's what I told my husband: it's not a lot of extra money for people who cruise a week or two a year. But, for those of us that have several booked for 18 months in advance, it adds up. Especially for those of us who budget carefully for our travel.

I think my post was a little misleading: that's 129 total nights for two people. It's really a 7 night for two, a b2b for two, a 7 night for one, a 16 night for two, and another 18 night for two. That's from 4/2011 until 4/2012.

Still, I agree, it's not a typical cruise schedule. That's what I told my husband: it's not a lot of extra money for people who cruise a week or two a year. But, for those of us that have several booked for 18 months in advance, it adds up. Especially for those of us who budget carefully for our travel.

But then again Peggy, you need to compare it against what you are paying in fares for that 129 nights. That is probably a much larger number and given that perspective it isn't really a lot more money. What are you paying as the average per diem for those 129 nights and what percentage of that per diem is the new gratuity rate?

I guess I can fork out another couple bucks since they haven't had a raise in 13 years.:D Maybe the Porters at the terminal will want a raise in tips as well!:D

I agree. We have always 'added' to the auto grats about the same amount. What I did not like in Oct during a 4 day RCI cruise was our formal dining room server/waiter/asst. waiter repeatedly over the several days of the trip spending way too much time discussing his performance and personal life as egged on by his head steward/waiter. After 4 days, I now may think twice about RCI which I found to be a really nice experience. PS I still liked our server very much, just too forced and intrustive to our dining experience. Please read and share.

But then again Peggy, you need to compare it against what you are paying in fares for that 129 nights. That is probably a much larger number and given that perspective it isn't really a lot more money. What are you paying as the average per diem for those 129 nights and what percentage of that per diem is the new gratuity rate?

The new gratuity rate, plus the extra cash we add, is right in the correct range for a normal gratuity percentage. I only have a problem with the fact that the discretionary cash is now reduced because the larger tip amounts are pre-determined. I never had a problem with the amount. I will spend the same percentage no matter whether it's pre-determined or at my discretion. I just resent the decision being made for me.

My calculations above were not meant to "save" me money, but to move $250 of it into the "discretionary" pot.

I agree. We have always 'added' to the auto grats about the same amount. What I did not like in Oct during a 4 day RCI cruise was our formal dining room server/waiter/asst. waiter repeatedly over the several days of the trip spending way too much time discussing his performance and personal life as egged on by his head steward/waiter. After 4 days, I now may think twice about RCI which I found to be a really nice experience. PS I still liked our server very much, just too forced and intrustive to our dining experience. Please read and share.

I think some folks like a lot of interaction with their servers and some don't. It really is up to the crew to try and determine what the likes of their customer is on any particular sailing. We rather enjoy the interaction. However, on one cruise our waiter, who had recently been promoted from assistant, kept telling us over and over again how important it was for him to get "excellent" on our comment cards. The fact is that the service he provided deserved an excellent. But I remember looking at my brother one night and saying that if the guy asked one more time for us to him him an excellent he may just loose it.

I just found it a bit annoying.

I think some folks like a lot of interaction with their servers and some don't. It really is up to the crew to try and determine what the likes of their customer is on any particular sailing. We rather enjoy the interaction. However, on one cruise our waiter, who had recently been promoted from assistant, kept telling us over and over again how important it was for him to get "excellent" on our comment cards. The fact is that the service he provided deserved an excellent. But I remember looking at my brother one night and saying that if the guy asked one more time for us to him him an excellent he may just loose it.

I just found it a bit annoying.

I also found it annoying and did not fill out the comment card.

Archived