Changes on Carnival in Jan?

sixflags89

A publicly held corporation seeking PROFIT?!?!? SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! ;)

How are you harmed by them offering the option for the steak or lobster upsell?

Not only will I stay with Carnival, I'll probably (GASP!) purchase one of the prime steaks in the MDR from time to time when sailing on ships where it's offered. Good luck finding a line without specialty dining options.

I, too, think it is a wonderful ADDITION on the ships that do not have a Steakhouse so that someone who has a special occasion (or just wants to treat themselves) can do so.

I don't see this as being any different than the specialty coffee they charge for on the Promenade but that you can get in the MDR for free.

It is an OPTION....not required...therefore not forced on anyone.

Yes, but "Adding" those items as a "PROFIT" to their bottom line.....that is the whole mission by CCL on this move. "Advertise it" and you may get some folks who will take the "Option". Point being that "options" were limited in previous years...but now becoming "obsessive" !

Stick with CCL if you like, but for me, they are losing my business as well as recomendations for others to travel onboard their ships !

According to the latest figures....losing your business hasn't hurt them much.

There is nothing wrong with cruise lines offering OPTIONS.

NO ONE is forced to buy them.....

Here is a menu pic from WeatherGeek's Triumph review (I guess she just got off, it is in another thread). You can see the "additional selections" on the bottom right. I guess as long as they are not something that was previously charged for, I really don't care. If they moved something from FREE to $18, I would be annoyed.

ETA: Ugh, I don't know why it is so small or how to fix it. A much bigger picture in WeatherGeek's Triumph thread.

newmenu.jpg.7b864324c76eae1fda0d6148f63652d5.jpg

This is a rumour I saw on another cruise chat site with 'mates' in the title - it got shut down over there pretty fast, too - nothing to it. There may be some truth to the speculation that they are dropping back to 1 person servicing a smaller number of rooms vs. 2-3 person teams servicing a larger number of rooms - that actually could make sense and make little mistakes like cleaning rags left in a bathroom less common - but as to the rest ... :rolleyes:

You still haven't let us in on the cruise line you've chosen which doesn't have extra-cost dining options. :)

FWIW, I am not a Carnival cheerleader, I just think this particular criticism is a bit silly. Carnival's not perfect. For us, Carnival provides the best overall value proposition. Can't we all just get along? :D

Extra cost dining options....NO PROBLEM... just don't include them on a menu in the MDR where menu items are included in cruisefare.

Do you get the ambiance of the alternative dining venues in the MDR...I think not ! I have no problem paying $30.00 for a nice dining experience as CCL offers in their alternative dining venues....but to ask me to pay for a better cut of steak or Maine lobster in the MDR , would make me wonder what the no extra charge items were going to be like, especially if a first time cruiser.

Y'all believe what you want to, but CCL is sending mixed signals and seems to be confused at how to offer their passengers a great cruise experience.

"Our food in the MDR is good, but if you want better, you have to pay"

Bullcrap !

The bottom line is that Carnival is a cruise line that is affordable to most who would otherwise not be able to cruise.

I appreciate them for that.

Add the fact that Carnival ALSO offers the OPTIONS to upgrade the experience and it is a win/win for everyone.

Yes, more expensive cruise lines may not have as much "promotion" onboard...but these are cruise lines that the average Carnival cruiser may not be able to afford to cruise on.

I would hate to think I was the kind of person to stand in the way of someone having the opportunity to cruise; just because I did not want to hear as many "promotions".

Extra cost dining options....NO PROBLEM... just don't include them on a menu in the MDR where menu items are included in cruisefare.

Do you get the ambiance of the alternative dining venues in the MDR...I think not ! I have no problem paying $30.00 for a nice dining experience as CCL offers in their alternative dining venues....but to ask me to pay for a better cut of steak or Maine lobster in the MDR , would make me wonder what the no extra charge items were going to be like, especially if a first time cruiser.

Y'all believe what you want to, but CCL is sending mixed signals and seems to be confused at how to offer their passengers a great cruise experience.

Bullcrap !

Needless to say, I disagree with your entire argument. There currently is no way to get prime beef or good lobster on Carnival's older ships. This adds a choice to obtain these items in the MDR, I'm okay with that. If I want them I'll order them, if I don't I won't.

I really don't understand how having the extra-cost items as additional choices on the MDR menu is substantially different than having an extra-cost venue aboard.

They're already advertising that better food is available for pay on the ships with alternative dining venues. Further, they've simply followed the lead of their primary competition in implementing this choice.

I applaud the move both as a customer and as a stockholder. As a customer more choice is always a good thing. As a stockholder, more profit is always a good thing. This move accomplishes both goals.

Add the fact that Carnival ALSO offers the OPTIONS to upgrade the experience and it is a win/win for everyone.

I'm rarely posting on CC these days, but I couldn't let that perfect wording go by without applause. :) :)

Hiya, Sweet Linda!!! :D

Bullcrap !

Im for sure not a Carnival cheerleader .. but I dont get why you are upset that there are 4 items in a box for pay as a option on the menu. Just dont order them if you dont want to.

The rest of the menu is identical to what it has always been... well at least recently. They used to have another steak than the current flat iron steak.

You havent lost anything you had before they put the 4 items down in the corner of the menu.

I was just reading a member's review and they stated that beginining in January Canrival room stewards will only be servicing the cabin once a day in the morning. (no more evening service) Also they will begin to charge for steak and lobster in the main dinining rooms. Can anyone confirm these changes or are they just rumors?

I also read this same review and was wondering about the changes to the stateroom service. But for the life of me, I can't remember what ship the review was about.

I hope that the Nighttime stateroom service does not change. I love coming back to my cabin at night, getting the next day's Capers and reading them before bed, seeing what towel animal I got and taking a photo of it. After 12 Carnival cruises, that stuff just doesn't seem to get old to me. It's like coming home!

I did see that someone else posted that John Heald said that this particular rumor was not true....so that makes me feel better!

thanks to everyone who is helping this poor first time Carnival cruiser. I am not trying to get out of booking a cruise. I am though about to spend quite a bit of money on 3 suites and one inside cabin for the family and reading so much negative reviews here has me thinking that maybe I should stay with Celebrity. I was attracted to Carnival by the price and the fact that the Dream is close to home.

That's the point, you are not free to choose, Carnival is charging you for the right to make a choice.

Right now they are charging you for the right to have daylight shine into your room, a private space to enjoy your ocean view with sea air, inches away from the other less choosy folks on board. Best of all they don't charge you for the right to choose another cruise company. Give them time though, they'll find away. :eek:

thanks to everyone who is helping this poor first time Carnival cruiser. I am not trying to get out of booking a cruise. I am though about to spend quite a bit of money on 3 suites and one inside cabin for the family and reading so much negative reviews here has me thinking that maybe I should stay with Celebrity. I was attracted to Carnival by the price and the fact that the Dream is close to home.

something to be said for spa balconys on Dream that have the spa access included .. just my opinion.

I was just reading a member's review and they stated that beginining in January Canrival room stewards will only be servicing the cabin once a day in the morning. (no more evening service) Also they will begin to charge for steak and lobster in the main dinining rooms. Can anyone confirm these changes or are they just rumors?

I asked John Heald about this... his response:

I'm sure its bollocks - let me check again

--------------------------Written on my raspberry, sorry about any spalling mastikes.

:)

Looking at NCL's " Freestyle Dining" options and Royal Carribean's "Specialty Restaurants",

it seems Carnival is actually behind in offering these extra fee dining options.

I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not ,but to complain about extra fee dining options in the MDR for

Carnival ships that do not have a steak house seems to much ado over nothing.

No doubt that extra fee dining options seems to be growing in the cruise industry.

Carnival still serves their regular menu (with free steak).

On ships that do not have the steakhouse, they are offering the ability to order select items from the normal steakhouse menu in the main dining room for an upcharge.

Book your cruise and enjoy your steak included in your cruise fare.

You must be referring to the shoe leather cut they offer every day.

YUK

Yes, but "Adding" those items as a "PROFIT" to their bottom line.....that is the whole mission by CCL on this move. "Advertise it" and you may get some folks who will take the "Option". Point being that "options" were limited in previous years...but now becoming "obsessive" !

Stick with CCL if you like, but for me, they are losing my business as well as recomendations for others to travel onboard their ships !

Isn't the whole point of running a cruise line or for that matter most business, is to make a "PROFIT"? You really don't think they are doing this to break even do you?

Now cruising with another cruise line is up to you but I really think you are way out of line with your thinking here. There are a LOT of people, such as myself who welcome the options. Personally speaking I think most of the standard food offering in the MDR are of low quality. So I'm glad I would have the chance to upgrade to a better cut of meat. I like the option and I WILL be recommending Carnival to others just because they now have this option.

Looking at NCL's " Freestyle Dining" options and Royal Carribean's "Specialty Restaurants",

it seems Carnival is actually behind in offering these extra fee dining options.

I am not sure if this is a bad thing or not ,but to complain about extra fee dining options in the MDR for

Carnival ships that do not have a steak house seems to much ado over nothing.

No doubt that extra fee dining options seems to be growing in the cruise industry.

I just cannot understand the opposition to this option either. I'ts really not that hard to understand, if you want the option then you have to pay for it. If you don't want the option then you can eat the same MDR food you've had on past cruises. It's not hard!

What about positive reviews? I'm sure you've read some of them.

I just cannot understand the opposition to this option either. I'ts really not that hard to understand, if you want the option then you have to pay for it. If you don't want the option then you can eat the same MDR food you've had on past cruises. It's not hard!

Perhaps people believe once the extra fee dining options grow larger, cruise lines will make the non-extra fee food crap!

I don't know. (Hey that's a sentence you rarely read on CC)

Archived