Hotels in or near Amsterdam Airport

FoolUKnot

I have an overnight international connection coming up at AMS. Never flown through there before. It appears at least one hotel is in the airport and several are nearby. Obviously the hotel in the airport seems to cost more than some of the nearby hotels.

Does staying in the airport bypass security checks or possibly other time wasters the next day, or is is it just more convenient for the extra $$?

Any hotel recommendations in the airport or otherwise?

No airside hotels at AMS.

Have stayed at the Sheraton and Hilton before which are both on site and close to the terminal. The Sheraton is just across the street from the main terminal and the better of the two hotels. The Hilton is about 5mins or so on moving walkways away, although the last bit is outside.

There may be others but I've been happy enough with these two not to bother elsewhere...

I believe there's a Yotel now at AMS. Check it out http://www.yotel.com...an unusual concept and have used the one at LGW and it's fun and rather cosy for one person, even in the larger 'premium' rooms/cabins.

We've stayed at the Schiphol Ibis a couple of times. Very comfortable and affordable, with a good shuttle service. http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-0649-ibis-amsterdam-airport/index.shtml

I don't know of any full-service airport hotels that are inside security. It's not that big a deal at AMS.

Been looking at this - looks like $110 +/- for the same date. Still thinking the Hilton looks like the best deal for that night.

Hilton is a few years older then Sheraton, but certainly not bad.

Sheraton is more easy to walk too, you can stay inside.

All other airporthotels have shuttles.

Thank you. Anyone have opinions about CitizenM at AMS? Rooms might be smaller and the shower seems to be in the middle of the room (?), but looks like an experience.

It is a rather new hotel, never stayed there (since I live not too far from the airport). I have heard good reports about it, but it is a modern type hotel. Indeed smaller rooms etc.

If the rate is o.k., I think I would stay there.

It is a rather new hotel, never stayed there (since I live not too far from the airport). I have heard good reports about it, but it is a modern type hotel. Indeed smaller rooms etc.

If the rate is o.k., I think I would stay there.

Ok, thanks. We may have t try.

One more question (for now?)? Are there large lockers available at the airport where we can store most of our luggage overnight?

Thanks.

No airside hotels at AMS.

This is actually not correct. I worked at AMS for many many years, and there is a Mercure inside the terminal on airside upstairs between F and G. The rooms are comfortable for one night, but have no window. Also, it is very often fully booked, because the airlines check in their transit passengers there who have missed their connection and are not eligible for a temporary Schengen visa.

Hotels directly at the airport are Sheraton and Citizen M. A short shuttle ride away are Hilton, Ibis, Radisson, Crowne Plaza, VanderValk A4, Dorint, Etap, Mercure, and NH. Further away is the Courtyard by Marriott in Hoofddorp, they also offer a shuttle.

Yes, there are larger lockers at the airport, both on airside and landside.

This is actually not correct. I worked at AMS for many many years, and there is a Mercure inside the terminal on airside upstairs between F and G. The rooms are comfortable for one night, but have no window. Also, it is very often fully booked, because the airlines check in their transit passengers there who have missed their connection and are not eligible for a temporary Schengen visa.

Thanks for the correction (that's two gaffes I've made in the last week now :o )...worth knowing even if it's a windowless box!

Have stayed at the Citizen M. Ultra-modern, minimalist lodging.

The room is as wide as the king bed that is flush with the far wall by the window. Window is double pane, with motorized blinds between the two glass panes. Excellent soundproofing of outside noise.

Large flat-panel TV on one side wall. Shower is in the middle of the room, with a circular glassdoor and a rain-head. The door must be closed for the shower to run, so it doesn't flow over the floor of the room. Similar arrangement for the toilet, also with a circular, rolling door (though frosted). Sink basin is built into the wall.

High point of the room is the Phillips "mood pad" that lets you change the lighting through many variations (including both intensity and color). You want purple, you got it. Greens, blues, reds. Yep, we're hip.

There isn't much room for luggage, nor a regular closet. Only a few power outlets and no desk. Free wifi, both in the rooms and lobby.

You can use the airport luggage carts to wheel your bags from the terminal to the airport. Five minute walk or less, mostly under cover.

Citizen M runs sales, so keep an eye on their website for advance-purchase deals.

Archived