Tips for 1st timers in my group...

heatherkristin

Hi everyone!

My fiance and I are getting married aboard the Carnival Paradise sailing in April. We have about 30 sailing guests with us, most of which are first time cruisers. I am trying to make an informational newsletter for all of my guests with hints/tips they may not have thought about.. I figured I should come to the experts to help me with this one. :) Any tips you all think would be helpful for them I would really appreciate!

Thanks!!

There's so many to choose from! I would explain to them about onboard gratuities, and stress that they need to bring Passports, Prescription and over-the-counter meds, sunscreen, and half the amount of clothes they'll think they need! LOL.

I would also outline what drinks are free and what drinks you have to pay for. Many newbies are surprised that alcohol and soda aren't included. Also a note about available shore excursions might be helpful in their planning their time and their budget.

Stress the fact that they must have the required documents ON THEM and not in their checked baggage. We've taken groups with us and every time there was one person that left it in their luggage. We started going through the bus before leaving town asking to physically see everyone's papers to make sure they had them in their possession. Once we had the bus run by a passenger's house because they left it on their kitchen table! Glad we found it early.

Stress the fact that they must have the required documents ON THEM and not in their checked baggage. We've taken groups with us and every time there was one person that left it in their luggage. We started going through the bus before leaving town asking to physically see everyone's papers to make sure they had them in their possession. Once we had the bus run by a passenger's house because they left it on their kitchen table! Glad we found it early.

It's funny you say this because I saw the post a few hours ago about someone denied boarding because of this. It's what prompted me to create this letter!! I will definietely be making sure everyone has their information on them. I can only imagine SOMEONE will do that. Thank you for the idea of checking with everyone before you leave. great idea!

Remind them to remove everything from the safe before leaving the ship after the cruise. My brother left his wallet and discovered after leaving. Luckily Carnival sent someone to his cabin to get it while they waited, but they had to race to get to the airport in time for their flight out.

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Biggest piece of advice, don't stress over the little things (for you or any of the cruisers).

Carry on 1 bottle of wine or champagne per person, case of water/12 can pack of soda. Soda will help those who like a couple per day but don't necessarily want to purchase the soda plan.

Most of all, just have fun and enjoy the start to your new life. ;D

Here's a few of my essential tips:

1) bring a small powerbar if you plan on plugging in more than one thing at a time.

2) FRS radios (walkie talkies) are very handy for keeping in contact onshore and off the ship. We use ours alot, it's like a poor man's cell phone when you want to contact someone and you don't know where they are on the ship.

3) if their are any big drinkers in your group tell them to smuggle some booze or else they'll be broke by the end of the cruise.

4) research your ports of call and plan your excursions ahead of time. Deciding once you're already on the cruise usually puts you at quite a disadvantage.

5) if someone in your group really needs to check email at some point during the week the best options is to bring a smartphone or laptop and find a wifi hotspot at one of the ports. Using the ships internet can be quite expensive.

6) If you need to make calls back home you can usually get a calling card at most ports and call from there. One time we rented a cell phone for $15 with unlimited minutes in Grand Cayman. Beats the $5/min or whatever it is on the ship!

Archived