Refunds after final purchase on cruises?

cecil1

Sorry if this is a repeat question. Bought a couple b/b cruises a few weeks ago, only to see the prices plummet about 45%

Nothing I can do says the TA.'You pays yer money and takes yer chance'.

I'm cross however. I think I'm lost this tiime, but wondering if anyone has advice on pricing protection on Cruise Lines.

Thanks for any help.

Barbara

The advantage of booking early is choice of stateroom, sometimes the cruise sells well and the best price is early, more time to plan, and able to purchase plane tickets when see good deal. If one is able to book a cruise on short notice, one may obtain a great price, but if flying to port tickets can be expensive, may be limited stateroom availability, less time to plan and the cruise you want may sell out or become too expensive. It was nice when X and RCI allowed price drops after final payment, but I can't blame them for changing the policy. You have to decide whether booking early (and knowing you may overpay) or booking late (and risking being shut out of the cruise) is a better strategy for you.

Sorry if this is a repeat question.

It's a repeat question inasmuch as you've started a thread about the same topic this morning.

Sorry you lost this time. Many of us been there, be it on cruise prices, air fare, etc. These things run on supply and demand. Please do not blame travel agents for a policy under the control of the cruise line. If you search these boards, you'll find that Celebrity changed its policy this year; whereas they used to offer a refund or credit for price drops after final payment, they no longer do. This parallels the policies of many other cruise lines.

The best thing you can do now is to put this behind you -- it's in the past, you can't control it -- and go have a great time on your cruise. :)

Sorry if this is a repeat question. Bought a couple b/b cruises a few weeks ago, only to see the prices plummet about 45%

I'm cross however. I think I'm lost this tiime, but wondering if anyone has advice on pricing protection on Cruise Lines.

Thanks for any help.

Barbara

Although you cannot get a refund, I would have your TA call the cruiseline because frequently they will give you an OBC or an upgrade.

Jo-Ann

Although you cannot get a refund, I would have your TA call the cruiseline because frequently they will give you an OBC or an upgrade.

Jo-Ann

Hi Jerseygirl !

In Celebrity's case, getting an OBC credit after final payment (if you booked after the policy change) is not something to expect.

What they are allowing, is for you to upgrade to a higher category. For example, let's say you booked an Oceanview cabin, and paid $1299. After final payment, a balcony cabin drops to $1299, you can request an upgrade, or pay the difference if the balcony price were $1399. If the balcony price dropped to $999, you can be upgraded, but they will probably not refund the difference, or give you an OBC.

With that said, it never hurts to ask about an OBC after final payment, but I would keep my expectations very low.

I hope this helps. Happy New Year !

If you purchased a cruise at the price you could afford, with the category you wanted, and the location you wanted. Fantastic!

I have no problem with the cruise lines moving toward a model closer to what the airlines offer. I can still upgrade after the final payment if the cruise prices go down, so there is still an advantage.

We have been very lucky cruisers to get OBCs and refunds in the past. But the new economy brings new realities.

Booked my cruise for April almost a year ago. Price hasn't really budged. I'm hoping the Sky Suites drop after my final payment and then I'll upgrade. If not, I am still fine with the price I paid.

Just my 2 cents.

Judy

Thanks for any help.

Barbara

What would you be saying if the price went up? Would you be willing to pay the difference? The price is the price at the time that you book it- you take a risk. Sometimes it goes down but very often it goes up.

My comments and suggestions are posted on the another thread. Barbarba is booked on the Summit for January 22 and 29. Is anyone else surprised that the price of this cruise dropped by 45% in three weeks without being on the Tuesday specials? And the TA has not attempted to explain the upgrade option?

Is the Celebrity pricing different for Canadian bookings?

Is anyone else surprised that the price of this cruise dropped by 45% in three weeks without being on the Tuesday specials? And the TA has not attempted to explain the upgrade option? Is the Celebrity pricing different for Canadian bookings?

X site shows US$909~1009 for CC cabins, or C$949-1049 (not a very accurate exchange rate but that's a different thread).

If the OP paid $1500, there are Celebrity Suites & Sky Suites available for slightly less than that now... not sure how Celebrity would handle this, if in fact even these suites are less now than what OP paid for a CC or FV.

X site shows US$909~1009 for CC cabins, or C$949-1049 (not a very accurate exchange rate but that's a different thread).

If the OP paid $1500, there are Celebrity Suites & Sky Suites available for slightly less than that now... not sure how Celebrity would handle this, if in fact even these suites are less now than what OP paid for a CC or FV.

Unless I misunderstand the new policy, they should be able to upgrade without any additional charge.

Unless I misunderstand the new policy, they should be able to upgrade without any additional charge.

So there you go, cecil1.

I amend my first post to suggest the following:

1. Make sure you've got your numbers straight, based on the advice in this thread and the other (apples to apples, bottom line).

2. Call your travel agent.

3. Explain the situation, acknowledge that you are aware this is due to Celebrity policy and not that of the TA; but ask to speak with a manager due to the indifferent treatment you've received from their staff as of late.

4. Request that the manager phone Celebrity and ask that you be moved to a Celebrity Suite (or whichever suite is closest in price to what you originally paid) -- if the suite costs more, let them know you're willing to pay the difference (so long as that's what you want). Ideally, involve a manager on the Celebrity end as well.

If this works, great. Enjoy your cruise.

If this doesn't work, know that you've done your best, you got the price you originally wanted, and enjoy your cruise.

:)

Correct; unless the price on the higher category stateroom is part of a new-booking-only sale.

Lets say somebody buys a cruise for, lets say $4,000 and is happy with that, pays the money, etc. They then go on the cruise, and all is fine. Done.

But, if, for whatever reason, they offer the last few cabins to somebody, at a discount, now that same person is mad!

You agreed to the price.

Same thing happened to us 2 months ago. No chance to get a OBC, but Celebrity agreed to upgrade us to AQ for 2nd cruise.

This gave us an interesting experience : 1st part in hump cabin 1A with MDR as originally booked, 2nd cruise in AQ with all related benefits, including Blue. We were very happy with the upgrade and no longer begrudged the big price drop, which happened 1 week after booking with corresponded for us with final payment date.

Same thing happened to us 2 months ago. No chance to get a OBC, but Celebrity agreed to upgrade us to AQ for 2nd cruise.

This gave us an interesting experience : 1st part in hump cabin 1A with MDR as originally booked, 2nd cruise in AQ with all related benefits, including Blue. We were very happy with the upgrade and no longer begrudged the big price drop, which happened 1 week after booking with corresponded for us with final payment date.

Well, which did you like better? We have been in both AQ and CC on the Solstice, but the cruises were nine months apart.

Thanks for your advice. (I got a little tired of the take it or leave it folks!!)

You win the prize for knowledgable advice.

Phoned the TA this morning, she phoned the Celebrity, and was upgraded to a suite for the two weeks for around $200. I would never have thought of that if you hadn't mentioned that possibility.

Many, many thanks. Barbara

(gosh! you're clever)

Thanks for your advice. (I got a little tired of the take it or leave it folks!!)

You win the prize for knowledgable advice.

Phoned the TA this morning, she phoned the Celebrity, and was upgraded to a suite for the two weeks for around $200. I would never have thought of that if you hadn't mentioned that possibility.

Many, many thanks. Barbara

(gosh! you're clever)

So glad to hear that it worked out for you. Enjoy your suite and crusie.

Well, which did you like better? We have been in both AQ and CC on the Solstice, but the cruises were nine months apart.

Reasons we liked AQ : Blue - after very busy, hectic Thanksgiving week in MDR, we appreciated and liked the more peaceful Blue and also the meals, as they were different from MDR - not necessarily better, this depends on personal taste. The breakfast in Blue was definitely better : smoothies, delicious pancakes, etc. Service was more attentive. Also on the cooler days, the free access to Persian Gardens and Relaxation room was very welcome.

The hump balcony we had in 1A was a bit of a waste : it was most days full of salt spray and some kind of chemical they probably used to clean the outside, and although we asked our attendant once to clean the chairs, they were still sticky and we never sat outside.

I loved AQ, however if price difference would be more than $ 100-150 pp, I would not buy this category, as the cabin is exactly same and the benefits imho are for me not worth a big price difference, I rather spend the money somewhere else.

I have no problem with the cruise lines moving toward a model closer to what the airlines offer.

Judy

I disagree with the airline analogy. If you compare the two extremes in aviation, say the businessman who does not know until a few days before that he needs to travel and the leisure flyer who knows six months in advance that they are going to visit Aunt Agatha for the holidays. The product that they are buying is entirely different. One wants immediacy, flexibility and (importantly) availability while the other really only wants reliability.

By contrast, on a cruise, we are all buying essentially the same product. This does not mean that there should not be changes over time or that the normal rules of supply and demand should not apply but to make the comparison with aviation I think is a false one.

Reasons we liked AQ : Blue - after very busy, hectic Thanksgiving week in MDR, we appreciated and liked the more peaceful Blue and also the meals, as they were different from MDR - not necessarily better, this depends on personal taste. The breakfast in Blue was definitely better : smoothies, delicious pancakes, etc. Service was more attentive. Also on the cooler days, the free access to Persian Gardens and Relaxation room was very welcome.

The hump balcony we had in 1A was a bit of a waste : it was most days full of salt spray and some kind of chemical they probably used to clean the outside, and although we asked our attendant once to clean the chairs, they were still sticky and we never sat outside.

I loved AQ, however if price difference would be more than $ 100-150 pp, I would not buy this category, as the cabin is exactly same and the benefits imho are for me not worth a big price difference, I rather spend the money somewhere else.

Thank you. The Blu was the highlight for us.

We did not have the same issue with our hump balcony, but we were the first one on the turn facing aft. We sure would be disappointed if we could not sit outside on my balcony. I would have dumped fresh water over the furniture and cleaned it myself. I know that dried salt air is sticky.

Hi Jerseygirl !

In Celebrity's case, getting an OBC credit after final payment (if you booked after the policy change) is not something to expect.

What they are allowing, is for you to upgrade to a higher category. For example, let's say you booked an Oceanview cabin, and paid $1299. After final payment, a balcony cabin drops to $1299, you can request an upgrade, or pay the difference if the balcony price were $1399. If the balcony price dropped to $999, you can be upgraded, but they will probably not refund the difference, or give you an OBC.

With that said, it never hurts to ask about an OBC after final payment, but I would keep my expectations very low.

You're exactly right. We just booked RCI's Enchantment of the Seas. We're locked into the new policy of no OBC after final payment. However, my sister and her family had a future cruise deposit for an Oct. cruise that she cancelled and applied to this new one (we're traveling together) and she is entitled to either an OBC or an upgrade since her deposit was made prior to the policy change.

With all these policy changes, it's so hard to keep up!

Jo-Ann

• 2 months later...
Hi Jerseygirl !

I have this issue with Celebrity now and there is a price drop and they would not do any upgrade to higher category. The higher category price is lower by $500 from what I paid. I am not real HAPPY with Celebrity now.

Archived