So Excited Table for 2

I think it's lovely that you want a table for 2. Heinz makes 57 different varieties to accommodate lots of different tastes!! I would just like to address your concerns about MTD - especially on the Monarch. If you tell the MTD maitre'd that you would like the same waiter and table all 4 nights you will get it. If you decide to do MTD I am on the roll call and will be happy to discuss this more with you!!:)

I think it's lovely that you want a table for 2. Heinz makes 57 different varieties to accommodate lots of different tastes!! I would just like to address your concerns about MTD - especially on the Monarch. If you tell the MTD maitre'd that you would like the same waiter and table all 4 nights you will get it. If you decide to do MTD I am on the roll call and will be happy to discuss this more with you!!:)

Thanks for the info...but honestly I'm fine with my late seating, I just didn't want to sit with anyone other then my boyfriend.

Good for you! We're in the same situation this time around. I don't want to have to sit with another family we don't know. With two young children I'm not interesting in entertaining anyone else.

At the same time, they are so curious and question every little thing. I'd rather hear "Why is that lady eating all that butter" in private than have to save face for the next 3 nights.

We sat as a table of 2 once before and it was great.

We always email ahead and get a table for 2 (or whatever # our party is) it's awsome! This time as a matter of fact I got an email back that had not just the usual "your request has been processed" but one that gave us the dining room name, the table number, and a print out of the dining room! Now that's what I call customer service! :)

Be SURE to double check this when you first board in the designated dining room area shown in your Compass for those who wish to make changes. I always check and sometimes have to ask to be moved.

It is good to check your table location when you board the ship. Last cruise, we had requested a table for two and received the confirmation and thought we were all set.

The table was for two but it was at the top of the stairs against the railing so everyone using the stairs would be walking right beside us. We requested a table change and were very happy with it.

The tables for two are great but they are VERY close to the table beside you.

Thanks for the info...but honestly I'm fine with my late seating, I just didn't want to sit with anyone other then my boyfriend.

I used to like large tables, but I'm now a much bigger fan of tables for 2 if it's just my husband and me travelling. But on Monarch (you can see from my signature that I've been on her a few times ;)), the tables for 2 in the traditional dining room are in a kind of crappy location. They are against the wall either in the front of the dining room or all the way in the back next to the kitchen. One person sits on a bench, sandwiched between strangers, and the other person faces the wall, also with strangers close by. IMO it's not an ideal setup.

I would consider doing one of two things:

1. Switch to MTD and make a reservation for the same time every night. Ask to be seated at the same table each night so that you have the same waiter. They will bend over backwards to make that happen for you.

2. Keep your late seating, but go to the MDR and see if you can have a table for 4 re-set for 2. Again, they will do their best to make it work for you if late seating isn't full.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your cruise. Monarch is a wonderful old ship with a fabulous crew. I still miss her.

Thats great! Our first 2 cruises we were stuck at traditional tables, it was SO nice on the last one to have anytime dining option and unassigned table. With 5 of us we always got a table for 6 and didn't have to share with strangers... a plus given some past dining companions! I especially liked being at our own pace (which tends to be fast- too much other stuff to do than sit in the DR all night)

I've requested the same for the MOS.

I have no issue meeting and hanging out with people that we meet while on vacation, but I'd rather have a nice, quiet conversation with my husband while eating dinner. There are plenty of other social avenues on a cruise ship.

With that said, does anyone know about location for these tables on the Mariner? In they're in a bad location, I can learn to be socially acceptable to others, during dinnertime, really quickly.

I've requested the same for the MOS.

I have no issue meeting and hanging out with people that we meet while on vacation, but I'd rather have a nice, quiet conversation with my husband while eating dinner. There are plenty of other social avenues on a cruise ship.

With that said, does anyone know about location for these tables on the Mariner? In they're in a bad location, I can learn to be socially acceptable to others, during dinnertime, really quickly.

There are quite a few tables for 2 sprinkled around the dining room. We had on on Deck 5 that we quite enjoyed. We had a railing on one side that looked at tables one step down (they were on a level that overlooked the balcony). I've seen others on Deck 3 that looked nice and private, too. They have a lot of 2-tops in the MTD section, some good and some just ok.

Put me in the table to two main dining time crowd. I find it to be a much more intimate and enjoyable experience.

I've always booked direct with Royal and have been able to get a table for two, however some upcoming cruses were booked with a TA. I called Royal to confirm that they had us down for a 2 topper and they told me they couldn't edit the dining reservation and I need to call my TA to confirm. Has anyone had any issues with requesting a table for two via a TA before?

I've never tried e-mailing before, but I think I might give it a try as it gets closer to the sail date..

Our TA, about two months ago starting working on getting us a table for two for our 2/6/11 cruise. Probably about three weeks ago she called that she finally got a confirmation for us that we have a table for two with the table number. Last year when we cruised, the same ship, again it was a bit of a hassle getting the two top and it was confirmed but an awful table right next to & along side a service station. We were going to request a change after the first meal but our two wait staff servers were outstanding...........effecient, friendly, entertaining...........we just loved them so with that in mind we never let the service station bother us. We were lucky but if it happens again and we are not happy with the placement of the table we will request to be moved.

I don't see what the problem is, or why he be leary about dining with others? Thats how it is done on traditional cruising.

The "problem is" not all people enjoy eating with strangers and having to make the obligatory "small talk" with them every night. I have a "problem" with people who don't seem to understand that. Different strokes for different folks. That is why there are choices.

My husband and I sat at a table with a family of 5 on our first cruise and it really was not all that much fun. We were new to cruising and had no idea you could request a table change, or ask for a table for two so we were stuck for the week. A couple other cruises we ate with another couple and while it was okay, we still would have preferred eating alone. We love cruising when other family members go with us, then we have a table to ourselves. My last cruise was with my Mom, and we requested (through the e-mail address given here) a table for two and we did receive it. Yes, the tables are still close but do have room to maneuver around. We did not feel the need to "chat" with others at the nearby tables, nor did they feel the need to "chat" with us so we were happy. :)

DH and I will be on the Monarch later this month, we are doing MTD and really looking forward to having a table for 2 each night. We cruise to enjoy each other's company, we don't go to make new lifelong friends and we don't enjoy "small talk" with strangers.

I just don't get why some people think EVERYONE should be THRILLED sitting with strangers at dinner. You don't do that at restaurants on land, why should you be expected to do it on a cruise?

Interesting Topic!

I dont like eating with others. Not because we are not nice...but sometimes people dont have anything in common and it is uncomfortable.

Our honeymoon we ate with one other couple on an anniversary and it was wonderful! The first time we took the kids we had a couple on their honeymoon that asked to switch the first night before even coming over! I understand...That trip we had this huge table to ourselves the whole week. No one showed up and all 3 of my kids spent dinners with kids club. My kids are very well behaved...but I would rather deal with my kids at my own table without feeling like someone is watching me or having to make conversations (I know that is terrible!! lol :rolleyes:)

The last cruise we took was on Carnival and we traveled with a few friends and our group had been split on 2 large tables...so it was easier...but one of the kids at the table only spoke French. It was a little difficult since they spent a lot of time speaking a different language.

This year we are back on RC and they told us they will place us on a table for 5! I am super happy. I can socialize all over the ship without feeling like I have to for dinner ... I am happy to eat with just my kids and hubby!

A table for two is great. We always get a table for two unless we are traveling with friends or family. My first or second stop after boarding the ship is to check my table. Usually all it takes is a visit to the maître d’ and as Emeril Lagasse would say "Bam"... a table for two. I have not been disappointed yet. Here is a thread that I started one year ago regarding "a table for two". The opinions run the gamut.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1301639

Enjoy your table for two. It is your cruise, do what makes you happy.

We always get a table for 4 we cruise with our teenage daughters, and this is OUR vacation a time for us to be together, I have not problem talking to other people but found out that we we shared a large table we spent our time making small talk, instead of talking to our kids, the purpose of the cruise is for all 4 of us to spend time together.

So good for you for getting your table for 2.

Travelgirl,

Thanks to you, I just emailed my request for a table for two! The thoughts of eating with strangers has been making me anxious. All of our past cruises have been with friends and family, so we didnt have the problem.

I also like your "snarky" term, so I will use it! I hate to be snarky, but I have to make small talk with strangers way too much in my "real" life. While cruising, it is a "take me away from reality time" and I may not want to be NICE..lol.

Enjoy!!!

Well first off I like the late seating so thats not a problem. I have no interest in MTD as I like having one waiter that gets to know my preferences and I have one waiter who gets the tip for their services to me. If they do an outstanding job they get even more then standard. I know with MTD that a lot of times you end up with the same person, but not always from what I understand. What if that one night that it wasn't the same person was a horrible night and service was bad...I just don't want to chance that.

I really don't see why 2 people now are taking issue with me wanting a table for 2. I'm sorry but what if we got sat at a table with people who aren't in a good mood, or don't speak or understand the same language, or a million other things. I'm not chancing my dining experience on someone else's mood etc. And let apologize ahead of time for this I don't want to sound snarky but my guess is the 2 people who are taking issue with me asking for a table for 2 are exactly the type of people I'm hoping to avoid sitting with at dinner every night when I'm on this cruise to celebrate my anniversary/our birthdays with each other. My boyfriend owns a restaurant and I work a part time job in a different one at night we get very few meals together, I want to enjoy our "date nights" as another poster put it without the influence of others.

Hey, don't worry about them; just as choosing a cruise line is a personal choice, so is choosing where and whom to dine with. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

My DH and I will be enjoying our first Royal Caribbean cruise in February. We will be traveling with another couple and have chosen the "My Time" dining, as we like the flexibilty it offers. We plan on requesting a table for 4 each night when we arrive at the dining room. We do not mind waiting. I know that we can make a reservation in the early part of the day and even request the same waiter each night. That is what makes cruising so great IMO....you are able to create the vacation experience you want!

My past cruising has all been with anytime dining, and I am glad that Royal offers this! Our one and only experience with "table mates" left a bad taste in our mouth.We went in with an open mind, willing to share a table for lunch on embarkation day.We sat with a very nice couple, enjoyable conversation, until we were joined by a very overbearing gentleman who proceeded to take over the table. I know this was probably the exception more than the rule, but it confirmed for us that meal time was not something we wanted to share.

We are extremely outgoing people, love to chat with others and do this all the time, except for dining.

Nice to be able to have that choice.

Hey travelgrl1278,

Exactly what address did you use for your email requests. As you can see by my earlier post, I normally wait until I get on the ship to make the request for a table for 2. I would like to try to make the request by email this time around. Also how far in advance did you make the initial request by email? I see that you actually sent two emails.

BTW, remember, each person is entitled to his/her opinion (some you may agree with and some you may not agree with). But in the final analysis, do what makes you and your companion happy . It is your cruise. I am all for a table for two or two top (there may be other names) as you can see by the thread that I started last year :D. Hope you fun. :)

Hey travelgrl1278,

Exactly what address did you use for your email requests. As you can see by my earlier post, I normally wait until I get on the ship to make the request for a table for 2. I would like to try to make the request by email this time around. Also how far in advance did you make the initial request by email? I see that you actually sent two emails.

BTW, remember, each person is entitled to his/her opinion (some you may agree with and some you may not agree with). But in the final analysis, do what makes you and your companion happy . It is your cruise. I am all for a table for two or two top (there may be other names) as you can see by the thread that I started last year :D. Hope you fun. :)

Email rcldining@rccl.com with your request. 2 to 3 weeks prior to your cruise is a good time frame. We've always received our request.

I guess as a newbie to cruising Im still trying to hold on to the "traditional" part of cruising I had read so much about that seems to be fading away fast.

The larger the table the better for me! One of the main things I love so much about cruising is dining with "strangers". I have met some fine fine people whom I call friends and stay in touch with to this day. But I do understand not everyone feels like I do and they certainly have that right.

Enjoy your cruise and your two top table :) Until something or someone changes my mind, I will be enjoying my cruise and my ten top table.

Arent you glad we all have choices and the cruiselines seem to do their best at accomodating such requests?

I agree, my husband and I are looking forwardto having 14 dinners together just the 2 of us its so hard at home to really get to eat together so I totally understand where you are coming from and also my husband has a very serious food allergy even if something splashes on his plate or him it can be fatal so its safer for us to eat together on our own. enjoy your table for 2 I know we will.

Email rcldining@rccl.com with your request. 2 to 3 weeks prior to your cruise is a good time frame. We've always received our request.

This is the address I used. I sent my first request EXTREMELY early (like 95+ days or something) and like I said got a stock answer basically saying they would try. I'm not one to leave things to chance so I decided I'd email again, because what if my first request was lost/deleted, etc. I know next time 2-3ish weeks out is the best time to request this so that multiple requests aren't needed.

The "problem" is we like to eat with eachother not a bunch of strangers and I don't think I should be banished to the Windjammer or Room Service to do this. My boyfriend is leary of eating with a group of strangers because this is our vacation and he (nor I) want to be forced to eat with people we don't know (or could possibly not have much in common with). I know they do their best to group people but it doesn't always work out that way. My friends last cruise her and her husband (38 & 30) got seated at a table of 8 and the next youngest couple at the table were 65...they couldn't switch tables and basically got stuck with people they had no common interests in. I don't want to be forced into socializing, thats all.

All I was doing was praising RC for getting this set up for us.

This is exactly why DH and I are big fans of NCL and their Freestyle dining. Dine when you want, where you want (there are two main dining rooms and and several specialty restaurants) and most importantly...dine with whom you want.

Archived