Done Lamanai and missed boat tender?

SJpaul

Has anyone done the Lamanai Ruin tour ( belizeexcursions or anyone lese) and missed the last boat tender? What did you do? Carnival does not offer this excursion, so I am trying to decide if we shoud do this Lamanai or the
Xunantunich tour offered thorugh the cruise ship??

We just took the Carnival Dream Western Carr. cruise in Dec. 2010 with Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya & Isla Roatan. We booked the Lamanai Ruins tour through Island Marketing LTD (aka Belizeexcursions) for $75 per person and had a wonderful time! We were also worried about making it back to the ship, but no worries, they are VERY aware of how long it takes to get back and we made it back in plenty of time. It was the excursion of a lifetime! Ask to see the Black Orchids, the howler monkeys are amazing and the ruins are just awesome. If you are going to Costa Maya also and love seafood the best seafood dishes we ever had were at a place that I cannot remember the name but it is "Nocho...something" You take a cab ($7-8) to Fishermans Village and they are the very last restaruant/resort at the farthest end of the row on the water/sandy beach and the owners name is Jimey (pronounced Hi-mean). Without a doubt it was the freshest and best food ever!!!! Good luck and enjoy! And no worries about Lamanai, there is plenty of time.

I guess since I asked if anyone has ever MISSED the tender on this non carnival tour, and only got ONE response (and it was a vote that I do have time) Am I to assume noone has ever missed it and I should just bite the bullet and go??

Carnival does offer a tour to the other ruins, but I think this gets more votes.....

I think no one would admit missing the ship on this forum.;) We are also considering this tour but through NCL. The cruise line is charging $25.00 more than IM.

Considering the longevity of this tour we will spend the extra money for the added security knowing the ship will wait a reasonable time for our return.

We did it through Island Marketing and made it back to the ship. It was an amazing day, super tour, wonderful lunch. The ride down the river was exciting, peaceful, fast and really cool. The ruins are worth IT!!!

Skip the Ship and do the small private tour.

we did lamanai through ncl. got off the ship quickly (1st tender) and on bus before the next tender got to port. ncl does get into belize a little later then the other ships...but we got a early start. had less then 30 ppl, didn't have to wait on anyone. with no problems, we still made it back 15 mins before the last tender. being on a ship tour, this would not have been a problem..but it still makes you think. we passed one tour bus broken down, on the side of the road. if the boat breaks down, it could be tragic..there are no towns, only a few "settlements" along the river.

if you aren't a worry wart, go with the private....if you are going to spend the whole time worrying about getting back, do one of the other ruins.

lamanai is amazing...you should be able to relax and enjoy it.

(if you go private, ask them how they would help you get to the next port)

• 2 weeks later...

it's served in a picnic area...the ladies bring coolers with the food. some chicken dish, beans, cole slaw (i hate cole slaw but this was good), a coconut dessert..bottled water and bottled sodas. everything is cooked and prepared for the tourist and was safe/good to eat.

the sodas were local sodas, mostly fruit sodas.

• 4 months later...

(Wanted to keep this alive.) Traveling with our 3 kids, they do not have passports and would hate to miss last tender to visit Lamanai. So, anyone ever been left behind or know of anyone who was left?

I have seen people being left at other ports. Wanted to know my odds on going to Lamanai. thanx

I wouldn't take the risk of a private guide at a tender port given that you are with 3 passportless kids.

If Carnival offers an excursion to Lamanai, you have the security of knowing the ship will wait for you. If Carnival doesn't offer Lamanai, consider Xunantunich as a ship excursion, or cave-tubing which should be ok booked independently.

(Wanted to keep this alive.) Traveling with our 3 kids, they do not have passports and would hate to miss last tender to visit Lamanai. So, anyone ever been left behind or know of anyone who was left?

I have seen people being left at other ports. Wanted to know my odds on going to Lamanai. thanx

We did Lamanai last November, and our group was well over an hour late getting started, thanks to some thoughtless fellow passengers that decided to get breakfast onboard and eventually mosey on over to meet their excursion (the paperwork says to be sure you catch the first tender, but we had to wait for those bozos anyway, even though they were on the 4th or 5th tender....). So, I worried about missing the last tender all day, but our guides were very aware of the time, and the trip that took about 2 hours on the way *to* Lamanai only took an hour on the way *back*. We had time to spare. I've never heard of anyone getting left behind from the Lamanai excursion. Weirdly, the only time I've known of someone getting left behind at Belize, they were on a CARNIVAL scuba excursion and CARNIVAL left them at the dock, so going on a ship excursion doesn't guarantee the ship will wait for you. It probably increases your odds, but no guarantees....

Janis

For an additional $25 per person, Shore Exursions Group offers a Lamanai Tour from Belize for $100 with a gaurentee that they will pay for hotels, food & fly you to your next port if you miss the boat. I bet they don't miss the boat very often. :rolleyes:

PS But the gaurentee wouldn't do much good if you don't have a passport.

FYI: Don't forget to do this trip before 2012, All Mayan trips are being canceled after that date due to the end of the world.

FYI: Don't forget to do this trip before 2012, All Mayan trips are being canceled after that date due to the end of the world.

Are you being serious? End of the world isn't until december 2012 so if I am going in January 2012, it won't be offered?

For an additional $25 per person, Shore Exursions Group offers a Lamanai Tour from Belize for $100 with a gaurentee that they will pay for hotels, food & fly you to your next port if you miss the boat. I bet they don't miss the boat very often. :rolleyes:

PS But the gaurentee wouldn't do much good if you don't have a passport.

We did the Lamanai excursion with Island marketing and almost got left behind (as we did miss the last 'official' tender!). As for the guarantee - yes have your passport with you (and your toothbrush and a pair of clean undies? :D).....but I would question their ability to do this. I had done some 'research' and seems they don't have 'daily 'flights like we do here - and it may involve a couple of days via ferry/bus/plane - and let's hope the ship docks at the next port (assuming you do get there).

Had we missed the ship in Belize we would have had to get to Roatan the next day (and all transport research showed this was not even possible) and in the end the ship DID NOT DOCK there so even if we had made it to Roatan too bad for us!

You can bet on my last visit to Belize I took a ship sponsored excursion (and yes the 'other' bus had a flat tire and were delayed getting back - you can bet those people were happy to be on a carnival excursion!:D)

Are you being serious? End of the world isn't until december 2012 so if I am going in January 2012, it won't be offered?

LOL-you are fine, thanks heavens you are going in January and not December 2012.

WOW Tell us what happened? How did you get on the ship with no Tenders?

Whille the last tender was gone (at 4:15 and it was now 4:30) - there was a smaller boat which was loading some Carnival staff along with the table/chairs and giant water cooler they keep at the port for their officials.

As well the tour company 'boss' had radioed the port to let us know we were on our way - I believe they were expecting us - we were told because we were a group of 11 they held this boat for us (something like less than 7 people and they would have left - not sure how 'official' this policy is?). There were 11 of us a few carnival staff and I think some of the spa employees/dance staff? (2 young ladies) on this boat...about 16 in total.

While the ride out to the port from the ship was around 20 mins - the ride back was like 5!! We were literally FLYING over the water - going very very fast! (ship supposed to leave at 5 pm)......we literally climbed onto the ship as they were pulling up the 'stairs' and anchor and off we went - I think we were sailing before we even got back to our cabins!! YIKES!!!:eek:

I am asking myself this same question.

Island Marketing is 75/p and RCCL is 104/p. 2 people, difference of 58.

* In my case, from what I can tell, we are the only ship in Belize that day.

Does anyone think that makes a difference?

It sounds to me like one's risk tolerance will determine if you book thru the ship or private operator.

I am asking myself this same question.

Island Marketing is 75/p and RCCL is 104/p. 2 people, difference of 58.

* In my case, from what I can tell, we are the only ship in Belize that day.

Does anyone think that makes a difference?

It sounds to me like one's risk tolerance will determine if you book thru the ship or private operator.

I think time of year is more important than number of ships - we were there in early November - end of the rainy season - and many of the roads/highways were flooded so it was slow going.... In any case if it takes you 1.5 hours to get to your 'destination' one would think it would take at least 1.5 hours to get back - and let's allow a little time for emergencies or shopping or just getting to the tender area - but that did not happen in our case - I blame the 'experienced' Island Marketing tour guide for not watching the time and allowing people to wander around gift shops etc instead of herding us back to the boat so we could get to the bus/port on time!

Archived