Will cruise fare go up?

ylimaster

We have cruised once and are planning our next one, which is likely to be in Dec. 2011.

The travel agent told us that the best time to book is now, price of stateroom will go up as the rooms sell, is this right?

We got a big discount on the cruise fare about three months before the cruising date, our room with veranda was on a higher deck with un obstructed view, we were pretty happy with it.

What are the chances that all rooms with veranda are sold out several months before sailing date?

Many factors come into play when talking about whether a cruise will sell out, or prices will go up. When listening to your travel agent, remember,they're trying to make a sale... :rolleyes:

IF you want a specific cabin on a specific ship during a specific week, then you should reserve well in advance. If, however, one or more of these factors has some flexibility for you, then you can wait for a 'deal'. While holiday cruises usually are in high demand (with corresponding prices), there are usually fabulous deals to be had on cruises at the beginning of December closer in to the sailing date. Again, the more flexible you are, the easier it is to snag a deal.

By the end of January we will be into shoulder season, the time when most people go hey its winter, I want a cruise .. so for about 3 months prices are all going to be sky high .. then by august they start dropping again. If the price looks good now, book it, otherwise Id wait until late summer or fall and book a last minute deal if you are flexible on which date in dec 2011 you want.

We tend to book as soon as we see a cruise that we like. Also we want to be certain that we get the cabin that we want. We do not do guarantees.

I watch to see if the prices go down. For us -- we have not been very lucky to see a price drop in the cruises we select.

I have read here where others have gotten at least 1 price drop while some seem to get 2 and 3 price drops.

A week before Christmas.

That's a great time to get a terrific deal ... we've sailed that week many times. Nothing about cruise prices is set in stone ... if it were, everyone would wait to book at the time when prices drop. It's all about filling the ship ... empty staterooms produce zero revenue. If sales are brisk, prices will either rise or stay the same ... if they're slow, there should be a price drop. One thing to remember ... if there's a price reduction after your final payment, you probably won't be compensated. Those fares generally apply to new bookings only. Should you book now, and fares drop before final payment, your travel agent should monitor this and contact the cruise line for an adjustment ... emphasis is on "should." In any event, I think you'll get a nice deal, given the time you'll be cruising.

Yes, I will just wait, and keep checking back the price. The ship I am interested in is being built.

That's a great time to get a terrific deal ... we've sailed that week many times. Nothing about cruise prices is set in stone ... if it were, everyone would wait to book at the time when prices drop. It's all about filling the ship ... empty staterooms produce zero revenue. If sales are brisk, prices will either rise or stay the same ... if they're slow, there should be a price drop. One thing to remember ... if there's a price reduction after your final payment, you probably won't be compensated. Those fares generally apply to new bookings only. Should you book now, and fares drop before final payment, your travel agent should monitor this and contact the cruise line for an adjustment ... emphasis is on "should." In any event, I think you'll get a nice deal, given the time you'll be cruising.

Yes, I will just wait, and keep checking back the price. The ship I am interested in is being built.

That's another matter altogether ... new ships are premium-priced, and fares are slow to descend. For example, a 7-night Caribbean cruise could go for $500 or $600 on a ship that's been around a year or two ... but an identical itinerary on a new build could easily run 30%-40% more. We like to wait until the ship has at least 6 months of cruising, so that the bugs and glitches (there are always some) are resolved.

That's another matter altogether ... new ships are premium-priced, and fares are slow to descend. For example, a 7-night Caribbean cruise could go for $500 or $600 on a ship that's been around a year or two ... but an identical itinerary on a new build could easily run 30%-40% more. We like to wait until the ship has at least 6 months in the water, so that the bugs and glitches (there are always some) are resolved.

Archived