warning about the guys with the monkeys

lovetocruise99

Just read on another post that a women went back on the ship because these guys were so forward. It is a shame they told their friends and now they are not getting off the ship at St. Kitts because of these monkeys. These guys are really not good for the Island if they chase people back on the ship:mad:.

Sharon

We were just in St. Kitts in late Feb. In the AM these guys were just verbally approaching people (the three were working separately).

In the afternoon, they were sneaking up behind returning passengers and plopping monkeys on their backs. It was really freaking some people out. :eek:

Be very loud and firm with these guys: "No. I am not Interested!".

When I first started reading this I felt like it was going in the direction of....

"They started rapidly piling monkeys on top of me to a point where I was so distracted I didn't realize someone had lifted my purse with all of my money and identification.."

I'm glad you handled it well and that it wasn't some sort of pick poscket scam....that could have been truly devastating....

Don't y'all silly tourists know drug addicts when you see them?

Do you really think the money they scam y'all out of..

goes to pay bills? and for food? :D

That money goes straight to the nearest marijuana and cocaine dealer. :cool:

You are dealing with the lowest of low-class criminals

and their dead-easy way to make what is big bucks on the island

-scamming tourists!

How do I know this?

We have the same kinda nonsense, here in Barbados where I live!

-the same scary louts, looking and acting nasty, the very same way!

They all look and act the same way, in each island you go to.

Wise up, fer crying out loud! :cool:

(Practicing for my upcoming day in St Kitts...)

"DO NOT TOUCH ME WITH YOUR MONKEY!

DO NOT TOUCH ME WITH YOUR MONKEY!"

(...and cracking myself up!) :D

This is the correct approach.

Threaten to have them charged with simple assault

if so much one monkey even comes near you!

You don't know what you're dealing with here

but some folks call it extortion!

This nonsense has been going on for years

but there are enough Sucker Tourists,daily

to make it worth their while.

Do not contribute to the problem!

• 1 month later...

I have to laugh because we got our picture taken with mean monkey man. We originally paid $20 for pictures on the beach. I think we must of taken 10-15 pics. Then when we were getting back on the boat we saw the monkey man with the baby monkeys. I went up to him and told him I would pay $5. He said okay, took the money and we proceded to take about 5 or 6 pictures. As he was getting ready to go I had my husband stand next to him and he came back over for my husband to get a picture. He did yell at a couple of people while we were doing pictures that didn't pay anything, but tried to take pictures from far away. So, I guess my advice is that mean monkey man can be nice....you just have to be upfront with how much you will pay.

Nice Monkey Man/ Mean Monkey Man

• 5 months later...

This is terrible. I can care less how much money people were scammed for :mad: What I care about are these poor abused monkeys that these low lifes are walking around with. Stupid people giving them money basically tells them it's okay to do what they are doing and continue on. Not okay in my book. Sorry to be harsh but we are the voice for these animals!

Met a lady last week who cruised on NCL and when they got off the ship in St Kitts some guy comes up and puts the monkey on her and the monkey goes up her right arm across her shoulders and down her left arm and then bit her on her left hand. She said that the guys with the monkeys were everywhere at the port. Told my husband he needs to protect me when we go to St Kitts in April cuz I don't want any monkeys put on me. I would not be happy at all.

Yes, monkeys bite!:eek: And I doubt if these monkeys have had their shots. I hope that lady went straight to the ship doctor.

• 4 weeks later...

Primates are our biological cousins, they are not pets nor should they be seen as "cute" when they're captives and are most assuredly mistreated. The very fact that they are being used as tourist traps is proof enough of that.

As a person who's studied primates in the wild, it makes me furious to read stories of people who mistreat them ... and I'm sorry to be harsh, but that includes the tourists who enable these men by giving them money to have their picture taken with a wild animal who should be living in the wild (as much as there is left for them).

Absolutely sickening.

I dont think this post is about taken advantage of the monkeys. I think it is the people who live on this Island that do that. I guess they dont have alot of ways of making money, being on an Island, so they take advantage of the resources they have. Right or wrong, who can say. Not me!:confused:

PS I do love animals and people too!

Sharon;)

As a person who's studied primates in the wild, it makes me furious to read stories of people who mistreat them ... and I'm sorry to be harsh, but that includes the tourists who enable these men by giving them money to have their picture taken with a wild animal who should be living in the wild (as much as there is left for them).

I agree and prefer to see them in the wild instead. I ignored the men with the monkeys in diapers.

Barbados 2011:

6305671094_4dd326c224.jpg

St Kitts 2011 (my taxi driver spotted him and pulled over for me to get a picture):

6305147583_6022927c1b.jpg

Monkey Reserve in Barbados in 2004

6305159249_43dc58324d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did take the pictures with the monkeys and found them to be well trained. I did not see them being mistreated at all. In fact the little monkeys were in love with their owners... LOL!! We took 3 pictures for $4 only.

Later on in the day one of the guys let us actually feed them and record them as they ate and he did not charge us anything at all. I guess because we were feeding his monkeys.... I love St. Kitts!

I did take the pictures with the monkeys and found them to be well trained. I did not see them being mistreated at all. In fact the little monkeys were in love with their owners... LOL!! We took 3 pictures for $4 only.

Later on in the day one of the guys let us actually feed them and record them as they ate and he did not charge us anything at all. I guess because we were feeding his monkeys.... I love St. Kitts!

What beach were you at while in St. Kitts? Does the location make a difference? We will be there on Wednesday and I'm not as concerned about the monkeys as the beach. Had planned on going to South Friars.

We were getting ready to board our catamaran and these two guys with monkey's basically tried to cull us from our group, we were the last 4 in line and they stepped in front of us trying to block our way. I'm completely not that person and I made sure they knew that I didn't want anything to do with the monkey's. They really did get aggressive though and they did it on the way back as well, it was to the point of being harrassed. Then I got on the ship and heard the stories of people having tiny monkey's in diapers put on their heads!

They disgusted us as well...you know that they must have killed the momma monkeys to get the babies...PLEASE do not give these bozos the time of day...please think of the poor animals!

Plus, what happens when the monkey gets bigger and isn't as cute? Returned to the wild to fend for itself after being dependent on humans for most of it's life is the best outcome....

I avoided these dudes like the plague when we got off in St. Kitt's and didn't stop. I did find 2 rastas at a scenic turnoff above Frigate Bay - 1 had a monkey and 1 had a donkey. A donkey! Luckily they were mellow and we chatted for a bit w/o them approaching us. It also helps that we were on scooters & didn't stay long. LOL!!!!

wonder what the monkeys and mean men would do if they don't leave me alone and I blow my whistle?

Thanks for the warnings!

p.s. some islands have monkeys trained to steal your sunglasses, cameras, etc. and they run like the wind once they grab your belongings.

Tourists: Beware!

Archived