anyone hate the navigator?

We sailed on the NOS in Apr '08 on a TA (east-bound). It was our first RCL cruise and it was great. WE LIKE THE vOYAGER cLASS having not only sailed on the NOS but also on the MOS and in NOv '11 on the AOS. I'm sure that you will enjoy the NOS. Give it a try.

Paul

Just off Navigator yesterday after a 7 night W Caribbean. I loved the ship and had a great time. My biggest complaints are - I hate the beverage stations in the Windjammer, would prefer self service - dislike lack of table space by the pool area with no buffet or grill outdoors. The Windjammer closes at 9 pm - too early, IMHO.

... If I could pick a thing I do not like about the NOS I find the british pub and the schooner bar to be smoky.

Agree about the smokiness. Also, we're not fond of the open Solarium - too windy while the ship is underway.

Those were minor, though. It's a really nice ship.

Ok. Here is the ugly naked truth about the awful experience I had on Navigator. I went to shoot some hoops on the basketball court, I just wanted to shoot around, not join a game. There was a half court game going on and the backboard and rim were missing from the other end. (I've since seen pictures showing the backboard has been replaced. )

I went to use the steam room in the men's locker on day 2 and it was out of order. On Day 3 it was operational again.

Royal did not offer me a free cruise as compensation for my experience, but I sailed Majesty again and have booked Allure. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Oh, my snorkeling excursion in Belize was canceled because the operator's boat broke down, but I didn't blame that one on RCI who promptly credited my account.

This was a 5 day Western Caribbean, had a great time. :D

You're joking right ???

By my count, we have sailed Navigator for a total of 57 days over the years--so we must really like it a lot, but (this is just my opinion) on our cruise in November, I thought the food was just awful-to the point that I am a little gun shy about getting back on her. I do like the ship enough though that I might consider packing my own peanut butter and jelly to take on her.

Just to bounce off the responses that refer to the unfinished rails.... This is something I've been noticing over the last couple of years. Been on the Freedom, (June 09 and the first ship I noticed) Voyager, Liberty and the Navigator within the last 2 years and if memory serves correctly none of these ships had finished rails on balconies. The only finished rails were in the public decks of the ship. Took a quick trip on the Radiance in December and their balconies had finished rails. I believe that the unfinished "weathered" rails are becoming their approach to maintaining the rails rather than lack of maintenance.

So sorry to use the word hate. How about dislike? not the best? issues? problems? things that need to be looked at? things people are unhappy with? I can get positives from anywhere. When planning a vacation I like to get both sides of the story as much as possible so as not to be disapointed like our last cruise. It IS what you make of it and we make the most of everythng we do! Sorry to run the risk of "getting flamed" but really? Just trying to do my homework!! I'm glad you all love the ship and I am more positive about booking now which is exactly why I posted what I did. I thought thats what these boards were for! information! both good and bad.

I fully appreciate what you are saying, that is why I brought up a couple of maintenance issues, which for the most part were all handled well. (I imagine they don't store an extra basketball backboard on the ship so it probably has to be ordered. I did note this in my review and did see pictures from another cruiser a month or so later showing it had been replaced.

We have sailed on the Navigator 3 times and feel that she is a great ship. The last time we were on her was Thanksgiving 2010 with our grandchildren. I felt at that time that she was a little tired, stained drapes, peeling paint on the balconies etc. According to information received she is leaving for a two year stint in Europe in May so we have booked a B2B in February for one more opportunity to sail in her, she has a magic all of her own which is rarely experienced on other ships and has a great cohesion amongst the entire crew.

We sailed the Navigator last April on a TA, our first cruise on any RCI ship. (We've sailed 20 times plus on other lines.

We're not line or ship loyal, choosing by price and itinerary, though we've cruised the most on Princess. We've never had a bad experience on any ship.

But, we liked the Navigator so much that for the first time ever we purpously booked a second cruise on her, with our grandchildren--leaving in 11 days!

Every cruise might have small details that could be better; on the Navigator I thought the buffet food left something to be desired, but we got more than enough to eat anyway.

As to railings, I didn't notice any problems. I will say that on the Emerald Princess this past December they redid (varnished) the railings on our balcony early in the trip and they were sticky for most of the 10 day voyage, so it was hard to lean on them.

Just booked the Navigator yesterday for next month. Never occurred to me to check it out first cause RCCL just does things right. I was reading the reviews and started getting concerned but then I found this thread and am greatly relieved. Any vacation is what you make of it. Everyone has different tastes in what food and atmosphere they like. Been on the Adventure twice and loved it. I'm sure this ship will be equally fabulous.

Just to bounce off the responses that refer to the unfinished rails.... This is something I've been noticing over the last couple of years. Been on the Freedom, (June 09 and the first ship I noticed) Voyager, Liberty and the Navigator within the last 2 years and if memory serves correctly none of these ships had finished rails on balconies. The only finished rails were in the public decks of the ship. Took a quick trip on the Radiance in December and their balconies had finished rails. I believe that the unfinished "weathered" rails are becoming their approach to maintaining the rails rather than lack of maintenance.

Not sure I agree with it being their approach. If I were to go back to June of 09 this would have been our 5th different ship with multiple crusies on 3 of them and easily the first time we have noticed the weathered railings.

The Navigator was our first cruise in 2008, and our second cruise in 2010. We loved the Navigator. My sister and her husband will be taking their first cruise in March, and yes, they will be sailing the Navigator. I know they will love it, and I hope you do too!

We leave Sat. the 15th for a 5 night and looking forward to it. Have been on several other RCCL ships but not this size. Many smaller and one bigger. I think it should be just about the right size.

Can't hardly wait to make my own decision about the NOS.

We just book, don't care what others say, love to cruise. I can't hardly stand to get off when they drag me screeming down the ramp. Dang, hate it when that happens.

Julia

Not sure I agree with it being their approach. If I were to go back to June of 09 this would have been our 5th different ship with multiple crusies on 3 of them and easily the first time we have noticed the weathered railings.

I really don't like it either, makes the ship look a little less "Shipshape and Bristol fashion." The reason I remember seeing it on the Freedom for the first time was because I was a little taken back by it. Sort of the "Wow" in reverse. I don't much about wood or finishes, probably not enough to fill a small Min-Wax can, but the unfinished rails look to be a different kind of wood as well..... a very coarse and wide grain as opposed to the tight grain of the finished rails. I'm sure the root of the issue can be found on the desk of some accountant with the green eye shade!

I guess I'll just have to continue with my fleet wide inspection of handrails.... still have some ships left to do!!!!

Archived