Would you ever take a Carnival cruise in Australia?

nytraveller53

Would you cruise the Carnival Spirit from Australia?  

276 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise the Carnival Spirit from Australia?

• No. The flight alone is about $1500 per person!
    • Yes, but only if the flight was a bargain!
    • I would cruise in Australia, but not on Carnival. I can go Carnival in the US much cheaper.
    • Yes, it would be a once-in-a-lifetime chance!
    • Other, I'll comment

Not from Australia with the announced proposed itineraries (short cruises to South Pacific Islands and NZ).

I am not interested in cruising around in a circle. I am more interested in bookending unique cruises, with land travel.

However, I'd be very interested in the repositioning cruise from the US to Aust, depending on the itinerary.

I paid over $2000 from Michigan. Depending on where you're from, it is expensive.

Whilst airfares to and from Australia are expensive, they are less expensive than they used to be, now that there is more competition on the Pacific route.

For anyone interested in travelling to Australia, I suggest you join the frequent flyer programmes of airlines, which travel to Australia, so you can receive emails on their specials.

Sometimes, it is only $100/$200 more expensive to fly from the East Coast than the West Coast. Eg Qantas flies from JFK, via LAX, to Sydney.

Since the itinerary is not yet published, we're not sure what is on it. And the cruises out of FL are called Caribbean cruises, not Florida cruises.

That's exact what I said, they -aren't- called Floridian cruises. This is my whole point.

The people on these boards talking about flying to Sydney to "take an Australian cruise" will be as sorely disappointed as those from other parts of the world who thought about flying to LA to "Take a USA Cruise" on Splendor just because it sails from a US port.

Spirit being based in Australia is aimed at Australians and they won't be taking Australians to see Australia any more than US cruises make US ports of call. The cruise will just be "out of Australia" - they will be pacific island and NZ cruises.

I'd actually like to do the repo cruise! Would be a heck of a lot more fun than a big old flight - I know I'd still have to fly home, but what a great way to get there - and to hit multiple south Pacific islands? You bet -- sign me up!

You could always cruise back as well (on a different line although).

Whilst airfares to and from Australia are expensive, they are less expensive than they used to be, now that there is more competition on the Pacific route.

For anyone interested in travelling to Australia, I suggest you join the frequent flyer programmes of airlines, which travel to Australia, so you can receive emails on their specials.

Sometimes, it is only $100/$200 more expensive to fly from the East Coast than the West Coast. Eg Qantas flies from JFK, via LAX, to Sydney.

They are also starting flights from DFW (stopping flights from SFO) but Virgin or NZ is the way to go, once the new 773's start flying into LAX they will become my Europe / Australia preferred airline.

I have already told my TA that I want a Vista suite for this repo, if flights become an issue I will just have to burn through some FF miles :D

I'm with trvlqueen, I'll be watching for the repositioning itinerary,

Same here.

but no way would I fly there for the sole purpose of cruising Australia and New Zealand. Those countrys really need to be seen on a land vacation.

You can see New Zealand by a cruise :)

After all this big news about the Spirit getting repositioned to Sydney, I'm curious, would you ever consider that cruise?

Sure. I would just have to remember to hold my camera upside down, so that when I got home all the pictures would be right side up.

Spirit being based in Australia is aimed at Australians and they won't be taking Australians to see Australia any more than US cruises make US ports of call. The cruise will just be "out of Australia" - they will be pacific island and NZ cruises.

I would love to cruise "Out of Australia" to NZ or Bali ...that would be a dream trip ! Even if they cruised from one port-city to another in Australia, it would still be easier than a land trip! Bring on the Intineraries ! :D

Sure. I would just have to remember to hold my camera upside down, so that when I got home all the pictures would be right side up.
That first week is the most difficult, learning to walk around upside down. It is easier for those coming from South America and Africa who are already used to doing it.

I'm flying over this month with V Australia $998 Brisbane - LA return. I've never paid more than $1300 and that was with Qantas. You just have to watch for the sales.

I wouldn't recommend to any of my US friends to just come here to cruise. You definitely need to do a land based trip to really see all that Australia has to offer.

The repo cruise would be great for those not so fussed on the long plane trip. At least you only have to do it one way. It is a pain of a flight but well worth the effort!!

We will be watching too....cheers Shiona:D

As demand for these longer repositioning cruises grows, maybe they will introduce cruises from Australia to US/Canada and return with different ports of call. Those who no longer wish to fly long haul, could do the whole cruise, whilst others could cruise one way and fly back, or take a later cruise back.

I can see exciting times ahead for cruising from Australia/NZ, as long as we live long enough. :)

I would absolutely do an Australian cruise, on Carnival or on another line...

BUT....

only if the itinerary were long enough to make it worth the time it takes to get there. A 7-day r/t out of Sydney? No, thanks. But 10 days maybe, or 14, if I had the time.

The airfare is a non-issue - I wouldn't even think about a cruise Down Under unless I could afford the plane ticket.

That repo cruise folks are chatting about.... I don't think so. It will probably be in two segments: US mainland to Hawaii and a few days cruising around the islands; then the loooong trip to Australia.... not too many places to stop along the way, I love cruising but after that long on a ship, I might never want to see chocolate melting cake again... :confused:

I would absolutely do an Australian cruise, on Carnival or on another line...

That repo cruise folks are chatting about.... I don't think so. It will probably be in two segments: US mainland to Hawaii and a few days cruising around the islands; then the loooong trip to Australia.... not too many places to stop along the way, I love cruising but after that long on a ship, I might never want to see chocolate melting cake again... :confused:

Here are just a few of the other places to stop along the way, after Hawaii -

Tahiti

Moorea

Bora Bora

Cook Islands

Samoa - American and Western

Fiji

New Zealand

A trip to the South Pacific islands is a trip of a lifetime!

As demand for these longer repositioning cruises grows, maybe they will introduce cruises from Australia to US/Canada and return with different ports of call. Those who no longer wish to fly long haul, could do the whole cruise, whilst others could cruise one way and fly back, or take a later cruise back.

I can see exciting times ahead for cruising from Australia/NZ, as long as we live long enough. :)

Hi Marion and Barry

Would be great to have itineraries like that on offer on a regular basis and i am sure they would sell well from both sides ....at the moment happy to settle for an inaugural Hawaii to Australia segment or even Asia to Australia should they take her there for a refit....if the cruise is only half as good as the inaugural Hawaii to Australia one we did on the Rhapsody of the Sea's in 2007 it will be fantastic ....now comes the wait....:D:D:D

cheers Shiona

Hi Marion and Barry

Would be great to have itineraries like that on offer on a regular basis and i am sure they would sell well from both sides ....at the moment happy to settle for an inaugural Hawaii to Australia segment or even Asia to Australia should they take her there for a refit....if the cruise is only half as good as the inaugural Hawaii to Australia one we did on the Rhapsody of the Sea's in 2007 it will be fantastic ....now comes the wait....:D:D:D

cheers Shiona

I agree, Shiona.

Asia to Australia would be exciting, especially if they include a number of Vietnam ports, as well as the usuals.

With the Chinese tourism market increasing, that would be a good way to introduce them to Carnival Spirit.

I would definitely look at the repo...it will probably be a similiar route as RCI Radiance is doing this year...2 legs...Vancouver to Hawaii (11 days), and then Hawaii to Australia (17 days). Radiance is making several stops between Hawaii and Australia.

I knew there was a reason I have been saving my air miles.

I am booked on the RT to Hawaii from San Diego in Apr/2012, but will probably scrap it for the full repo.

I went to OZ in 2001 at the time I got 2 to 1 on the dollar. It was a trip of a life time that was very affordable. (under $2000 total for the package with upgraded hotels)

I would prefer to do a trip like I did before it was a package with r/t air and 13 nights hotel, with flights to 3 cities in OZ where I could add nights.

To answer the question yes I would love to do a cruise around OZ. If money was not an issue I would go in a heartbeat. I would like to spend two weeks on a land trip and then take a cruise.

I also found it interesting that it was mentioned that there was no tipping required in an article about the Spirit move to Australia.

As demand for these longer repositioning cruises grows, maybe they will introduce cruises from Australia to US/Canada and return with different ports of call.

I don't see them becoming viable for such an approach. They still generally struggle to be filled with one trip a year (each way), and that's with pricing that recognises that low demand. In addition to that, they are significantly more costly to the lines as fuel costs are much higher.

My wife and I discussed this and while the thought of cruising the South Pacific has a lot of appeal, we don't relish the thought of flying for such a long period to get there and back.

I spent my career in the AF flying around the world...I now have a four hour butt! Anything longer than that and I better hear the gear coming down!:D

My wife doesn't like to fly at all. So, other than our upcoming Alaska cruise, we usually drive to the ports (Mid-Atlantic living has it's bennies).

Still, Australia and surrounding areas sound fantastic!

Archived