Emerald Princess vs. Star Princess

aczi16

Same cruise ports, just different orders. (2 choices)

No one in our family has been on Princess.

Planning to go on one of the 10 nighters in March/April.

May go over Spring Break, (April 16-24) but not positive. Sister has baby goats being born sometime in April and doesn't want to risk it. I don't want to miss any school because it's difficult making up about 8 days of school. My older, other sister has spring break sometime in March, but doesn't mind missing school.

Overall, which cruise line is better? The star is a 2002, and probably beginning to show its age, but i heard a lot of poor reviews about the Emerald. Any information on expirences with both ships would be greatly appreciated.

Which cruise ship did you prefer?

Pros and Cons?

ANY information is helpful. =]

Thanks!

I was on the Star once several yearas ago..nice ship.

Have been on the Emerald 3 times..latest being last August.... a very nice ship...sister to the Crwona nd Ruby... no complaints from this cruiser...loved it...

May go over Spring Break, (April 16-24) but not positive. Sister has baby goats being born sometime in April and doesn't want to risk it. I don't want to miss any school because it's difficult making up about 8 days of school. My older, other sister has spring break sometime in March, but doesn't mind missing school.

Overall, which cruise line is better? The star is a 2002, and probably beginning to show its age, but i heard a lot of poor reviews about the Emerald. Any information on expirences with both ships would be greatly appreciated.

Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

*Ignore See Below*

Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

Your in the same situation as me, missing school, but if you want to miss the least book the 10 Day that goes into Spring Break(but you have Spring break in March or April?), you will only miss 3 Days(or 4 if you fly down a day before) and as for your other question, I havent been on both but the Star is a tad smaller and has one less deck than the Emerald so less passengers than going on the Emerald.

Missing Three Days before Spring Break than the Star Princess 10 Day Southern Caribbean Medley - Leaves April 13th, 2011

or

Missing Three Days after Spring Break than the Emerald Princess 10 Day Eastern Caribbean - Leaves April 17th, 2011

We like both. Our Star Princess cruise was several years ago, so I don't know how much has changed. We've taken two cruises on the Emerald Princess. When this size ship first came out, I thought that the additional deck of passengers would be too much. We never felt crowded.

We have been on both & thoroughly enjoyed both, in fact will be back aboard the Emerald in March this year & planning on the Star in April next year....so I would pick the dates that work best for everyone & have a GREAT cruise. :D

We've been on both and liked them both.

Star Princess may be older, but has been retrofitted with some of the nicer features that are on Emerald Princess such as the International Cafe.

I think you would have to look pretty closely to see differences in the ships - Princess maintains them well, especially in the public areas.

The one feature I like better on Emerald Princess is the Cafe Caribe, a nicer alternative for evening cafeteria dining. Movies Under the Stars has a nicer layout on Emerald, but uses the pool area which is covered on Star Princess.

Personally I prefer Emerald Princess just a little... but that's because we've had some great cruises on her.

I have been on the Star Princess to Alaska and am about to go on the Emerald Princess, sister ship of the Ruby that was the last cruise I took. The Star is smaller - that's about the only difference. Service good on both, food good, etc. I would choose the itinerary you like the best and have a good time!

Thank you all for reply. I apoligize it took me a while to get back to everyone. Everyones information was very helpful, thank you for that! I don't think the 500 extra would make a big difference, since we will always spending as much time as we can at port. On sea days we would mostly spend our time by the pool, or roaming around and eating.

Thank you Times Prince. The MUTS information was definately a plus for the emerald.

Thank you Crusin Toddler - i agree with you about the covered indoor/outdoor pool is very nice.

ALL information is helpful. Thanks!

The one feature I like better on Emerald Princess is the Cafe Caribe, a nicer alternative for evening cafeteria dining. Movies Under the Stars has a nicer layout on Emerald, but uses the pool area which is covered on Star Princess.

MUTS is located at the uncovered, forward pool on the Star. I know this for a fact, as we sailed to Alaska shortly after MUTS was installed and we would have appreciated it if MUTS was over the covered pool! :o I agree with you that the MUTS area is better laid out on the Emerald, though.

MUTS is located at the uncovered, forward pool on the Star. I know this for a fact, as we sailed to Alaska shortly after MUTS was installed and we would have appreciated it if MUTS was over the covered pool! :o I agree with you that the MUTS area is better laid out on the Emerald, though.

Thank you! I agree, the MUTS would have been better over the covered pool,

• 3 weeks later...
We've been on both and liked them both.

Star Princess may be older, but has been retrofitted with some of the nicer features that are on Emerald Princess such as the International Cafe.

I think you would have to look pretty closely to see differences in the ships - Princess maintains them well, especially in the public areas.

Personally I prefer Emerald Princess just a little... but that's because we've had some great cruises on her.

Thank you for the useful information.

I have a few additional questions regarding the Star vs Emerald:

1) Star offers international cafe

Emerald does NOT offer international cafe

2) When were these ships last dry docked and upgraded?

Emerald DOES have the International Cafe and it does include the gelato which the Star does not.

Both ships have the International Cafe on Deck 5. Emerald Princess came with it and the Vines wine bar (sushi, tapas served as well). Star Princess was retrofitted with both of these popular features. The International Cafe is in the same location on both ships.

Unfortunately I do not know the dry dock dates. Emerald Princess is still pretty new, and has not required any retrofit actions, just maintenance. Star Princess had some retrofits such as International Cafe, Vines, and the Sanctuary.

For interest, compare the deck plans for the Grand Princess and Star Princess, looking especially at Deck 5 and Deck 15 (where the Sanctuary is). The atrium in the center of the ship on Deck 5 is of interest.

2) When were these ships last dry docked and upgraded?

The Emerald entered service in the Spring of 2007. She has probably had a minor drydock as her next drydock (11 days) is scheduled for December of 2012. The Emerald is essentially the same as when she was launched.

The Star was the first of the original Grand Class ships scheduled for major upgrades to add many of the features found on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby. There were issues during her drydock (labor - not technical) and only some of the upgrades were completed. She does have IC and Vines, the Sanctuary and MUTS. Her next drydock (25 days) is scheduled for November of 2011 when the remainder of the upgrades should be completed and decks 5, 6 and 7 on the Star should look essentially the same as the Golden and the Caribbean. We were on the Star last Spring and fouond her to be in very good shape.

I was young once. But I am so happy to read that most of the Spring Breaks are for April. We sail on the Star in late March.

I also understand that Princess does not allow more than 200 young adults on the ship..am I correct?

I am the veteran of a Carnival Cruise during April Spring Break.

You could not give me a free cruise in the best suite on board the ship..and make me doing it again.

Carnival must have had an extra tank of liquor or so..attached to the ship..for the amount of alchohol consumed on that sailing. The demonstrations of public amour by the swiming pool...gross out to the max.

Liguored up College students..girls and boys..heckling the comedians and the stage productions.........

And I know Princess cruisers are not like that......but Princess does limit the number?????

But to be honest..If I were Young..I would pick the Emerald. I have been on the Crown..which is a sister ship...and there are a lot of clubs..dances..Karoke ( sp) salty comedians....a good fitness area...bigger pools I think...lots of tanning beds..and it is just newer.

We met a couple with their young adult son...we played trivia with them..including the son..and he apparently found a great deal of night time activies...and met up with other young people easily. He had a great time. We ate breakfast with them on the day the ship disembarked...and he was moaning about having to leave.......as we all were.

He seemed like the ordinary young adult..ready to dabble in the flesh pots if a chance occurred....staying up all night..etc...And his only complaint was lack of sleep.

I was young once. But I am so happy to read that most of the Spring Breaks are for April. We sail on the Star in late March.

I also understand that Princess does not allow more than 200 young adults on the ship..am I correct?

I am the veteran of a Carnival Cruise during April Spring Break.

You could not give me a free cruise in the best suite on board the ship..and make me doing it again.

Carnival must have had an extra tank of liquor or so..attached to the ship..for the amount of alchohol consumed on that sailing. The demonstrations of public amour by the swiming pool...gross out to the max.

Liguored up College students..girls and boys..heckling the comedians and the stage productions.........

And I know Princess cruisers are not like that......but Princess does limit the number?????

I sailed on Grand Princess during three spring breaks with 700+ minors on board. It wasn't a problem.

At the time, Grand sailed out of Galveston. The great majority were from Texas and the immediate surrounds and were naturally well behaved.

We grow them that way.:D

The view from Skywalkers on the Star Princess has no comparison on Emerald Princess. They will be moving it in time, I would want to experience it in its present location at least once. Therefore I would chose Star Princess, also I did feel a difference in the 500 passengers on the ship, all the public spaces are the same size, including number of elevators, size of dinning venues, outside deck space, theater seating. Granted, I am comparing my Star Princess experience to my Carribean Princess experience. From what I have read, the Carribean Princess is like the Emerald Princess exept with the spoiler wing Skywalkers. So I may be mistaken and talking out my a**. I would still go Star!!! Loved the ship!!!

Archived