Review Carnival Freedom to Panama with kids

mpcaruth

The Funtimes are in pdf format. I am unable to post pdf files here. If you follow the link, it should direct you to a page to sign up for free membership. (you only need to give an email address, no name or personal info) Once you do this, you should be able to view the photos.

I also tried to upload them in another section of CC that allows pdf's, but the file sizes were too big. Posting Funtimes has always been a challenge on these Boards. I saw a post last week that said Carnival was going to begin posting Funtimes, since there is such a big demand for these.

If you have signed up for the website, and it still doesn't work, then let me know. Also, if someone has had success, please let me know that too.

The Funtimes are in pdf format. I am unable to post pdf files here. If you follow the link, it should direct you to a page to sign up for free membership. (you only need to give an email address, no name or personal info) Once you do this, you should be able to view the photos.

I also tried to upload them in another section of CC that allows pdf's, but the file sizes were too big. Posting Funtimes has always been a challenge on these Boards. I saw a post last week that said Carnival was going to begin posting Funtimes, since there is such a big demand for these.

If you have signed up for the website, and it still doesn't work, then let me know. Also, if someone has had success, please let me know that too.

Hi mpcaruth....

Enjoyed your review and photos a lot...gives me some ideas for our cruise next year on the Freedom.

I registered a few days ago at KeepAndShare and couldn't acces the docs...so waited for a while and tried again today...I can get to your page but the only docs that are there are instructions on how to create a document and driving instructions.

Can you think of anything I am doing wrong to access your documents?

I know it is a huge challenge to upload the Funtimes...so do appreciate your efforts.

Hope you are having a nice day.

Hi mpcaruth....

Enjoyed your review and photos a lot...gives me some ideas for our cruise next year on the Freedom.

I registered a few days ago at KeepAndShare and couldn't acces the docs...so waited for a while and tried again today...I can get to your page but the only docs that are there are instructions on how to create a document and driving instructions.

Can you think of anything I am doing wrong to access your documents?

I know it is a huge challenge to upload the Funtimes...so do appreciate your efforts.

Hope you are having a nice day.

Try it again. I changed a setting about sharing, and I also found that I had to verify my email address. it appears you were in the "My Documents" directory. The FUNTIMES files are in the "MPCARUTHERS" directory. Let me know how it goes.

Try it again. I changed a setting about sharing, and I also found that I had to verify my email address. it appears you were in the "My Documents" directory. The FUNTIMES files are in the "MPCARUTHERS" directory. Let me know how it goes.

It works perfectly...took me right to each document. Again thank you for all your hard work.

We did this cruise for my 40th birthday! We LOVED it! I would say it was one of my Favorites! We actually did the Panama Canal and it was sooo worth it. GREAT review! I did a review as well but posted it under reviews. I hope you enjoyed your cruise as much as we enjoyed ours!!!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreview/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=69038

We were on this same cruise with you guys. I learned from our

guide in Panama , The busses you have pictures of are called

Red Devils by the locals , I don't know why. You can ride them

for .25 cents to any where in the country ! Each bus is owned by

the driver ,Thats why they all look different , The Panama goverment

is buying them up at 10,000 dollars each , and not giving any

new licence's to any more . The goverment is putting a public

bus system in , There busses are 1.25 to ride , The new ones we saw

in Panama City were empty. That's what I learned about Panama! LOL

I really enjoyed reading your review and seeing all of your fantastic photos (especially of the adorable sloths and monkeys, and the serenity adult area of the Freedom).

My husband and I just returned from a short 4-night Monarch of the Seas cruise, and didn't think we would be cruising again for at least a couple of years or more but my Mom wants us to take her on another cruise so we will be going with her next January and the Freedom is the ship we are most likely going to book. We plan to do the 8-day Eastern with stops in San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau so I have been reading any review of the Freedom that I can find, and looking at everyone's pictures. :)

We'll probably book the cruise within the next couple of days.

I'm enjoying looking at the daily papers (Fun Times, are they called now?) you scanned and shared as well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do your review, and scan the papers.

Loving your review! I did this cruise last September and loved the ship and the itin. I travelled solo this time, but love hearing about things from your perspective, younger folks than me and travelling with kids. Thanks for taking the time to post and love your photos.:)

Hello, I am travelling this year -2011- at the end of August and beginning of September. Could you tell me how was the weather like during that time?

Any specific information that I should know?

It's my first cruise -well, our first cruise, with my husband- in the Caribbean so we don't know much about how things are here.

Thanks in advance,

:)

OKAY folks! I have scanned and uploaded the FUNTIMES from the cruise. Whew, cumbersome as I had predicted. Also, as I have never used this website, please let me know if you are unable to see the files. Enjoy.

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show.php?i=1556555&cat=3&fclick=y

Thank you very much for sharing this information.

I've downloaded them all and I'll read them.

:)

• 1 month later...

What a wonderful review. I'm booked for this exact cruise 10/22/11 along with others that have posted on this review Mrs Blair, Steve and Sheri, Katie.

Great pictures. How is the shopping in Panama and Costa Rica?

Rita

What a wonderful review. I'm booked for this exact cruise 10/22/11 along with others that have posted on this review Mrs Blair, Steve and Sheri, Katie.

Great pictures. How is the shopping in Panama and Costa Rica?

Rita

We were in such a hurry at Panama, that I didn't get to any shopping and I didn't see much except a few shops at the port. In Costa Rica there was a market place under a tent with lots of vendors - typical souvenir stuff. While at Cahuita in Costa Rica having lunch, a young man was selling pottery and carved wooden crafts from his backpack. We bought some items from him. There are lots of small locally run shops in Puerta Viejo too.

I am not a true shopper, so I cannot comment on gold, jewelry, watches, etc or any of the typical "duty free" stuff.

• 1 month later...

Our turn on the Freedom comes up 2 weeks from Sat. WOO!HOO!

Just a couple of questions: At CR and PC, where off the ship were JJ's and Mario's group located to pick up their tours? How did they identify themselves?

We have the same excursion plan you had, Paradise Beach in Coz, JRC w/ JJ in CR, Mario in PC.

For the cooking class, did you have to sign up before hand?

BTW, when are you planning your next cruise?

Can't wait for our turn on the Freedom!

Jacquelyn:D

Our turn on the Freedom comes up 2 weeks from Sat. WOO!HOO!

Just a couple of questions: At CR and PC, where off the ship were JJ's and Mario's group located to pick up their tours? How did they identify themselves?

We have the same excursion plan you had, Paradise Beach in Coz, JRC w/ JJ in CR, Mario in PC.

For the cooking class, did you have to sign up before hand?

BTW, when are you planning your next cruise?

Can't wait for our turn on the Freedom!

Jacquelyn

JJ tours, in Costa Rica held up a sign for us just outside the port fence. We could see him and his sign before we passed through the gate. No problem. He greeted us very warmly.

Mario in Panama sends a detailed confirmation email listing where the group will meet and even emails photos of the meeting spot. Basically, all his tour groups meet at the bottom of the escalator (you cannot miss them). They hold up signs and shout the group tour name to passengers as they come down the escalator.

The cooking class is only listed in the Funtimes and not advertised too well. They do not take reservations. I arrived about 10 minutes early and got a front row seat to the side. Lots of folks came in at the last minute, and were seated in the back of the restaurant. It looked like there was only room for about 50-60 guests, so I suggest you arrive early. This was one of my favorite daytime activities on the ship.

I have already book the Carnival Dream for next January to Eastern Caribbean. We have been to St. Thomas before and stayed on the Island (Henry Tours- toured island, and beached it at Sapphire beach, including jet skiing – I recommend Henry- so knowledgeable and very personal tour. Henry is a retired police officer and former body guard of the governor, so he has lots of interesting stories). This time I am looking forward to going to St. John.

I think you will enjoy this cruise, the itinerary, and your excursions. I planned for months and do not regret anything! This cruise only compares to our western Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Legend 1) Chankanaab Park in Cozumel– on our own 2) Stingrays and snorkeling catamaran in Caymans – local tour group, 3) Altun Ha ruins through Carnival in Belize, and 4) private taxi to the Mayan Princess resort in Roatan – the most beautiful beach. I LOVE Roatan!!!!). I always like to get in a little education for my family as well as the fun: cultural, historical, and environmental real-life lessons.

Enjoy your cruise Jacquelyn!

I am so happy that I read your review. It was wonderful. I booked this itinerary for Thanksgiving 2011, but was very torn on whether I should change it or not. I was wary about Costa Rica and Panama after reading other postings.

Your review did it. I will keep this booking and am sure we will have as great a time as your family did. Thanks for sharing.:)

I am so happy that I read your review. It was wonderful. I booked this itinerary for Thanksgiving 2011, but was very torn on whether I should change it or not. I was wary about Costa Rica and Panama after reading other postings.

Your review did it. I will keep this booking and am sure we will have as great a time as your family did. Thanks for sharing.:)

Glad you are keeping your booking! I hate it when I read bad posts and second guess my choices. But always remember - some people can never be pleased unless they are at luxury resort destinations and are treated like royalty. I like the adventure of the less touristy destination. When I read a negative post by a CC member, I always look at the member's other posts to get a frame of reference for the member's preferences and temperament.

I think it would be awesome if CC had a rating system like Netflix: Where you rate each ship, port, excursions, ship activities, food quality, etc., and then CC makes a recommendation for you based on your responses, and responses from people with similar ratings as you. Hhhmmm… maybe I should send this suggestion to CC. If they implement it, I think a free cruise is deserving…

Edited by mpcaruth

• 7 months later...

I really enjoyed reading all your review, even though we are only going to Colon, Panamo and Costa Rica. We are working and trying to book JJ for Costa Rica so I especially appreciate the information you shared about him and the Jaguar Rescue Center.

Thank you again!

Mustcruisemore,

Costa Rica is one of my favorite ports ever visited. I highly recommend a private tour with JJ. I saw on the Travel Channel last month a documentary on the Sloth Sanctuary. We did not go there, but from the documentary, it looked nice.

My kids still talk about the Jaguar Rescue Center. I believe they will cherish those memories forever!

Have fun on your next cruise!

• 2 years later...

can't thank you enough for posting your pictures. Have you ever gotten brave enough to take the ferry to Playa del Carmen? I'm sorry to see that Costa Maya doesn't have the ziplining anymore (at least privately) and wondering if the Cozumel one will compare?