Cruising...the magic is gone

spongerob

"homeless people and people raised by wolves" are you kidding me !

we love cruising and just watching everyone have a great time. if some people feel that they are "ABOVE" others than you should stick to the high priced cruise lines and airlines and just DO NOT make insensitive comments about others. i work extremely hard for my money and can afford to cruise every now and then thanks in whole to the cruise lines keeping the costs at an affordable level. last time i checked my mom and dad did not have paws or tails and did not live under a bridge. so before you make dumb ass comments use your head. thanks

Very well said! The comment was rude and disrespectful. It seems to me that people who make these comments are the very ones who bring cruising down!!

Mass Market cruising - just like Mass Market flying - has lost it's charm.

Too many homeless and people raised by wolves can now afford to cruise (and fly).

Unfortunately the Mass Market airlines and cruise lines are catering to them

Actually, not too far from the truth for some.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/04/local/la-me-welfare-20101004

If you want to dig deeper, one of those welfare debit cards was used on Oceania, NOT a inexpensive cruise line.

As soon as I start the embarkation process I feel the excitement building. When I finally get on-board, I look for the 30+ time at the wonder and beauty of the ship. (Princess for me) So, no, have not gotten at all tired of cruising and don't think I ever will. :p

I've only recently returned from my first cruise and am in no hurry to book another. I had a good time but I did lose a few days from the rough seas and had to spend a good deal of time lying down even after Dramamine.

People we met raved about the Alaska cruises but all I could think of was rough seas once again.

Just this weekend we decided to look into a land vacation starting in Vancouver and ending in Alaska for 2 weeks. Although I'm not a big fan of flying, at least the flight will be over in a few hours versus the rough seas we had for days.

I'm sure that at sometime I'll look at cruising again, but a land vacation is more to my liking right now.

After putting off going on a cruise for years we are trilled to be finally doing an eastern med cruise in june on a RCL. I can only think that doing 3/4 cruises a year and over 20 you would soon get pretty bored with them. After all they say too much of a good thing can be bad. :(

To the OP, have you ever tried any of the European river cruises? Some very luxurious river boats have been built in the last couple of years. The itineraries are quite interesting. They are so dramatically different from a typical Caribbean cruise.

I haven't done a European river cruise yet myself, but some friends have. They loved it. Viking Tours can send you a booklet about the tours they offer. There is another company that runs similar cruises, but I can't think of their name. Both of these companies also have very interesting other tours besides cruises. One is a thrilling train trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon.

Not all that long ago I would have at least 2, and to up to 4 cruises booked at one time. The only thing that limited me was vacation time available to me. Now, I've got just one cruise booked, and I'm not very excited about it.

After 20 cruises I find my desires turning to land-based trips and (OMG) road trips. And I'm liking them.

Cruising used to be great but any more it has become so cheap, and so watered down to keep up with the demands of the mass market that the only unique thing about cruising is the mode of transportation. The rest of the experience is about as special as going to a Wal-Mart.

We're hitting the road again next week for a non-cruise trip. And we couldn't be more excited. Anyone else feel this way, is the magic gone for good?

So on your road trip be sure to stay out of Walmart and mass market motels:), or you really will get bored. Nope road trips are even more ordinary to me than going out on the ocean. Maybe you just need to expand the budget and pick a different itenarary or cruise line?? But a change will do you good, enjoy your vacation.

We still like cruising-we just don't LOVE it. I agree, sometimes you should do a land trip, depending on where you are going-that may be actually better for seeing what you want to see.

As far as the budget lines, we still do them, usually with our daughter or friends. When it is just my husband and I, we try to pick something nicer.

I've only recently returned from my first cruise and am in no hurry to book another. I had a good time but I did lose a few days from the rough seas and had to spend a good deal of time lying down even after Dramamine.

People we met raved about the Alaska cruises but all I could think of was rough seas once again.

Just this weekend we decided to look into a land vacation starting in Vancouver and ending in Alaska for 2 weeks. Although I'm not a big fan of flying, at least the flight will be over in a few hours versus the rough seas we had for days.

I'm sure that at sometime I'll look at cruising again, but a land vacation is more to my liking right now.

Alaska cruises hug the coast, so the seas are MUCH calmer.

Well...I know our past 2 cruises, Nov. 2009, Oct., 2010, both 10 day caribbean on Princess, my dh and I kind of felt like th magic was gone. We're trying to keep in mind that maybe it's because our grief is so new, since we lost our dd June, 2009, and it's hard to feel that excitement that used to come with the thrill of leaving behind being a parent. It's always exciting on embatktion day. The routine is always the same, but "the same" is good, if it's good, and it is good on Princess. We did need the relaxing atmosphere of the caribbean these past 2 yrs., but I do feel like I'm almost ready to do and see some different things and not put my bathing suit on for a few days. Maybe Europe again. I would still rather see it on a cruise, because at least the options are there to do other things. I guess we all have to make our own magic. We did have our dd on the Disney Magic cruise, 3 yrs. ago, and it was migical!

Well...I know our past 2 cruises, Nov. 2009, Oct., 2010, both 10 day caribbean on Princess, my dh and I kind of felt like th magic was gone. We're trying to keep in mind that maybe it's because our grief is so new, since we lost our dd June, 2009, and it's hard to feel that excitement that used to come with the thrill of leaving behind being a parent. It's always exciting on embarkation day. The routine is always the same, but "the same" is good, if it's good, and it is good on Princess. We did need the relaxing atmosphere of the caribbean these past 2 yrs., but I do feel like I'm almost ready to do and see some different things and not put my bathing suit on for a few days. Maybe Europe again. I would still rather see it on a cruise, because at least the options are there to do other things. I guess we all have to make our own magic. We did have our dd on the Disney Magic cruise, 3 yrs. ago, and it was magical!

My heart goes out to you. My husband and I lost a child 26 years ago. We had twin daughters, both with serious health problems, and one did not make it, she lived only 1 day. Our other daughter is still with us, a grown woman now, but her health is not good, and our fear is that we will out live her.

I do think you are right, the relaxing trip was probably good for you, and I also agree that doing something like Europe would be a welcome change.

I know the grieving will never leave you, but you can still enjoy life, hopefully you can try to do that. I really believe our daughters would want both of us to be happy.

"homeless people and people raised by wolves" are you kidding me !

we love cruising and just watching everyone have a great time. if some people feel that they are "ABOVE" others than you should stick to the high priced cruise lines and airlines and just DO NOT make insensitive comments about others. i work extremely hard for my money and can afford to cruise every now and then thanks in whole to the cruise lines keeping the costs at an affordable level. last time i checked my mom and dad did not have paws or tails and did not live under a bridge. so before you make dumb ass comments use your head. thanks

Thank you for saying what I was thinking!!!

Cruising is a great holiday, but if i were to go on that many cruises each year, unless they were to very different exotic parts of the world i can understand why they seem less exciting over time.
There is so much of the world to see, I have not travelled extensively as have some but although i have cruised four or five times and i loved it, i also loved a safari in kenya, city breaks to rome and paris, a wirlwind trip to Las Vegas to see a friend renew her vows, florida, the seychelles, and i still want to see canada and australia & NZ plus many other places.
Vary it up try a few years without cruising, and i am sure that the magic will return.

Reading this thread makes me almost glad I don't have time or money enough left to become so jaded about cruising as spongerob and others. I happily anticipate the six or seven cruises that may be yet available to me if I can find cheap deals and interesting itineraries, but I long since had my fill of extended road trips and snooty resorts. Actually, I had my fill of the latter after a five-day conference 15 years ago at Epcot. Our first cruise up the inside passage to Glacier Bay was a wonderment. The second, out of Miami to the Western Caribbean was almost boring in contrast. We hit the high notes next with a longer cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona, and our voyage to the Baltic capitals was marvelous. I was ready to be home after we got through the Panama Canal, but we still had to do Colombia and two more looooong days at sea. Now we are wondering whether Egypt will be accessible 11 months from now, and we're looking ahead to another adventure come 2012. I'll go back to the Caribbean if Cuba opens up before they plant me. I've got to get to Antarctica, Australia, New Zealand, Tahiti and Mumbai before I die, for sure. And how could I possibly kick off before I see Three Gorges and cruise the Volga and visit the Rhine?

[quote name='momofmeg']Alaska cruises hug the coast, so the seas are MUCH calmer.[/quote]

Thank you! That is great information to know. Do you believe it's the same for Canada/ New England cruises?
That way I wouldn't have to fly at all! :D

I really liked the convenience of unpacking just the one time and going from port to port, but those days of rough seas really took a toll.

I realize there are no guarantees for calm seas but I'd like to keep cruising on my list of future vacations if possible. We had a great time otherwise.

Thanks again for the information.

[quote name='momofmeg']My heart goes out to you. My husband and I lost a child 26 years ago. We had twin daughters, both with serious health problems, and one did not make it, she lived only 1 day. Our other daughter is still with us, a grown woman now, but her health is not good, and our fear is that we will out live her.

I do think you are right, the relaxing trip was probably good for you, and I also agree that doing something like Europe would be a welcome change.

I know the grieving will never leave you, but you can still enjoy life, hopefully you can try to do that. I really believe our daughters would want both of us to be happy.[/quote]
Thank you so much for your comforting words! Only someone that lost a child will truely know that kind of pain. I am so sorry for your loss also, and wish your dd a healthy future. It is so great that there is such a vacation as a cruise that we don't have to worry about making alot of plans once we embark.

Thanks 4 sharing your "feelings" though somewhat snobbish. I am paying nearly $6000 for a seven day cruise and that's not "walmart " money according to your classification. Many cannot afford to go "blinging" the first time cruise therefore ease up with the insults. Some folks save for months in order to cruise with their family and friends therefore your "walmart on sea" comment is an insult to them.
This is our first cruise with a group of folks that have so many "D's" behind their names its embarassing. So don't make generalizations. I am going to have fun with the "lowly" folks of NCI this summer! Personally I would not want to cruise over 3 times...JMO, I'd be bored.:p

[quote name='cruzin w chris']"homeless people and people raised by wolves" are you kidding me !
we love cruising and just watching everyone have a great time. if some people feel that they are "ABOVE" others than you should stick to the high priced cruise lines and airlines and just DO NOT make insensitive comments about others. i work extremely hard for my money and can afford to cruise every now and then thanks in whole to the cruise lines keeping the costs at an affordable level. last time i checked my mom and dad did not have paws or tails and did not live under a bridge. so before you make dumb ass comments use your head. thanks[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%!!:mad:

[SIZE=4]We certainly haven't cruised as much as many have that have posted on this thread but we have done 7 in the past 13 months and yes we are suffering from some burn out. I think that we are going to try to avoid the 7 day cruises in the future, focus more on the longer one and do fewer.[/SIZE]

One thing that I have noted increasing on cruises is the number of whiners and complainers. I really hope those people move on so the rest of us can enjoy our vacation.

I do land cruise, but that is for friends, family, and an occasionally bucket list item.

For exercising all of my senses, all of the time, there is no substitute for a cruise. YMMV.

Driving is still not one of the safer forms of transportation and I don't believe it ever was. Still, it is often the convenience of choice, when the destination is a [B]CRUISE[/B]! :)

[quote name='greatam']Actually, not too far from the truth for some.

[URL]http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/04/local/la-me-welfare-20101004[/URL]

If you want to dig deeper, one of those welfare debit cards was used on Oceania, NOT a inexpensive cruise line.[/quote]I wish that some [B]had[/B] been raised by wolves. They would be better behaved. The bigger ships need to be filled and the cruise lines do what they can to fill them. But that's just part of the problem.

We're limited to about 15 days maximum cruise length and even then the dates have to fall just right to take advantage. This unfortunately puts the longer cruises and most of the smaller ships out of reach for us because of the time investment required. With my responsibilities I have to limit my options which gets me back to bigger ships, and heavily industrialized government-issue style cruising. You get that on the bigger ships regardless what you pay.

The parts of cruising we enjoy always involve time spent with friends. The rest of it we just tolerate these days.

As for the jaded and cynical, snob comments about me personally, all I have to say is that when you put away the pom-poms and take off the rose-colored glasses you begin to see things as they are. Sometimes it's not pretty. And going some place just to say you have been there (think Chevy Chase "seeing" the Grand Canyon) is nothing like going to that same place and experiencing it.

Archived