Limited mobility

Sauvignon

We will soon be taking my elderly parents on their first cruise, we have been on several.

My father now in his 80's is very determined and capable but can only walk short distances at a fairly slow pace.

We will be bringing a wheelchair with us, which my father is happy to use, so as to be able to get about more easily when necessary.

I would be grateful for any insights that my wife and I perhaps haven't thought of that will make our cruise special for my parents. My mother I have no doubt will enjoy the spectacle of the ship but will need time to assimilate all that is going on.

NOTE: Yes, I mentioned a wheelchair, but I am looking for a wide range of opinion and thought and do not expect this thread to be moved to the 'Disabled Cruise Travel' board, which I am already monitoring even though it is not entirely appropriate to our circumstances.

My father has mobility issues (especially stairs and standing.) Tours are the biggest challenge for him. What kind of tours will you be taking? I would recommend that you arrange private tours for your party. You'll be able to go at your own pace without inconveniencing others, and you'll get a much more personal experience. My parents just returned from a cruise yesterday, and their favorite tour was just the two of them on their own with a very funny cab driver. :)

Hi There,

You may want to stay up late or get up early and do a tour of the ship, when it is quite, so they get to know layout,

I took my mother in law onto Crown she is unstead on her feet, boarding day there are to many folk going around to do a tour at a slow pace.

Princess crew are very good at offering assistance with out asking.

yours Shogun

You'll need a lot of patience... Not with your parents, but with other cruisers. You've been there - seen that... many people don't/won't give people with mobility (or other) issues the space and time they need. Really bothers me cause 'we'll all be there some day' !

The ship crew and tour operators will be great, just try to take smaller tours, or personal tours. Insist Dad use the wheel chair whenever possible.. the crew will help him on/off the ship - just don't try to be first.

Be sure to contact the Pursers desk to ask for special treatment for Muster Drill - they will assist your parents to the 'drill' (ie - use the elevators while others cannot).

If you have a large balcony, a balcony dinner or breakfast would be something to think about. Very relaxing.

I cruised with my father last year, who gets around with a cane, albeit slowly. I'm not sure where your cruise is going, but Princess frequently offers shore excursions for persons of limited mobility, which is very helpful. Have you considered renting a scooter? After our cruise, my father said he would have liked to have had one, so that he could move around more. A wheelchair or scooter will be invaluable for getting on and off the ship, which can sometimes be tricky.

For the Muster drill, they simply allowed dad to stay in the rear of the theatre instead of walking down steps to the next available seat.

When looking at Princess tours, look for those that have "EZ" in the tour title. These are designed specifically for those with mobility problems.

My suggestion is to recommend the use of a wheelchair when checking in and embarking the ship. There can be a lot of walking and be difficult for someone who is unable to walk distances. Those in wheelchairs have a special check-in desk and boarding priority, which can be worth it.

Many thanks for the suggestions so far, I particularly like the idea of a Balcony breakfast at least one day. We have heard of others renting a Taxi for a simple tour in places and we will explore this further.

We will ofcourse take advantage of the assistance available at boarding and muster as these first impressions matter so it is nice to get things accomplished with relative ease.

I had maybe expected a few more reponses. Perhaps now have a think about how we can deal with the fellow passengers eluded to in post #4 - any ideas;)

We took my elderly mother in law and her friend on a cruise a few years ago. We found that by the end of the cruise her mobility had improved, simply because she had to walk more.

We booked them onto several tours for the less able while we did something more adventurous.

Many thanks for the suggestions so far, I particularly like the idea of a Balcony breakfast at least one day. We have heard of others renting a Taxi for a simple tour in places and we will explore this further.

We will ofcourse take advantage of the assistance available at boarding and muster as these first impressions matter so it is nice to get things accomplished with relative ease.

I had maybe expected a few more reponses. Perhaps now have a think about how we can deal with the fellow passengers eluded to in post #4 - any ideas;)

I think the best way to deal with # 4 is to try and anticipate the crowded situations. Do not try and be the first off the ship at ports and avoid the buffet at peak times. If you have a balcony cabin consider room service for lunch and even breakfast. Often the International Cafe is less busy too. When I travelled with my very disabled brother (could take a few steps out of the wheelchair but that was it) we often had breakfast and lunch in the dining room. No crowds and great service.

Most important (IMHO) would be to book fixed seating dinner in the MDR. Waiting for a table can be very tiresome. Then, at your dinner time try to arrive a few minutes early or late as there is sometimes a bit of a crowd going in and out.

Of all the travel I did with my brother, cruising was the absolute BEST. You will have a great time.

My DW has MS and we bring along both a wheelchair and a walker. We have reached the point where an accessible cabin is a must. She can use the walker for short distances around the ship so long as the seas are smooth but it they get rough then she is in the chair. We almost invariably use the wheelchair on shore excursions. If you check the excursions you will see that Princess now uses the "wheelchair" symbol to indicate the tours that are accessible. On these tours they will have lifts for chairs or a least stools or low steps for getting on the coaches.

I think a regular cabin will be fine since your dad only needs the wheelchair for distance and can walk into the cabin. The wheelchair can fold up and be put under the bed or in the closet.

Just make sure to give yourselves extra time to get to dinners, shows etc. When it is crowded it is much more difficult to manouver a wheelchair around people. You will have to run interference at the elevator for your dad. During peak times elevators are crowded and you may have to wait for a few until you find room in one for a wheelchair. In our case people would practically crawl over my mom to get in the elevator before her. Sadly, I am not joking. Get into a elevator if it is either going up or down. It will go your way eventually.

I would book independent excursions. The ship tours can be rushed and your dad may need more time to get on and off the bus etc. Most ship tour buses will not have a lift for the wheelchair. Your dad will need to be able to get up and down steps on the bus. An independent tour will afford your father more personal attention and the tour speed can be adjusted just for him.

Also remember if you are going to non U.S. ports accessibility may be a problem. Sidewalks may not have curb cut outs, ramps and many stores will have steps going into them.

Some Princess ships will not allow wheelchairs on Tenders. If your itinerary has any tender ports. Sometimes they will allow a wheelchair if your dad can board the tender on his own without the wheelchair. This seems to vary from ship to ship. A lot of times this depends on weather and is for your dad's safety.

Have a great time.

You haven't said where you are going. I have found Alaska to be a very easy cruise. The caribbean is OK especially if you can do the steps up into a bus. Europe is a little more challenging but very possible. I've not been to Asia or Australia. I think the problem with elevators is expecially acute when there is a lot of use like at the end of the muster drill or when the show lets out. We just don't go to the elevator at that time. When I was using canes or a walker I didn't notice nearly as much how people seemed to rush around me toward the elevator. I've now decided they are not being rude, they just don't look down and see that I am there. It is much better when my tall husband is beside me because then we are both seen. We like anytime dining but have never waited for a table as many other describe. Breakfast and lunch is also available in one of the main dining rooms and is much less crowded than the buffet.

If you're sailing somewhere that may have rough seas, a wheelchair accessible cabin would be a good idea. My dad just got home from a cruise that had some bad weather, and he had a couple of falls. An accessible cabin will have grab bars that would be a big help if your father is unsteady. Also, it would give you more room to store the wheelchair. If you can't or don't feel the need for a wheelchair accessible cabin, you might try storing the wheelchair in the shower. That seemed to work well for my dad's rolling walker.

Don't worry too much about the people mentioned in #4. Of course there will be rude people aboard, but there will also be plenty who will go out of their way to be extra kind.

We've cruised several times with my DMom, who is able to walk short distances with a cane, but is very unsteady on her feet. This next trip she will be using a scooter. I see that some people have suggested private tours. i'm going to have to look into that.

Anyway, you don't necessarily need an accessible cabin, although it's nice if you can get one. If you are looking for a suite, however, they aren't available. So this trip we got a PH suite, which has a separate, walk-in shower. Mom can't climb into a tub. Also, since there is no bar in the shower, we are bringing a portable one (Google "portable shower bar"), as well as a small portable handle for next to the toilet. She has a plastic elevated toilet seat that we will also bring These are available at many drugstores (Walgreens, CVS, etc.), so if you are traveling in the US, you could pick that up in your port city before you depart. The bars don't weigh much or take up much room, in case you're flying. (we aren't so we can bring it all from home easily).

A scooter will also give an added level of independance over a wheelchair, since no one has to push it. My TA just returned from a cruise where she used a scooter, and she was able to leave it in the hall every night.

Hope you and your parents have a wonderful trip!

You will not be allowed to leave the scooter in the hallway at any time. The hallways are pretty narrow and it constitutes a hazard. Same for wheelchairs and walkers. If someone has a scooter, they must be able to store it in the cabin which means you must book a HC cabin since they are the only cabins with a doorway large enough to get a scooter through.

If you think getting on a tour bus is a problem - or could be - practice at home.

Have your handicapped person get on a local city bus at your home city - see how they manage with the steps - UP and DOWN the steps.

Alot of people are spending alot of money to take these trips - I know you will try not to hold anyone up, but check it out ahead of time.

Even check a small taxi to see how they get in & out.

Hope it all works out , M.A.

Backing Pam up here with Princess rules in regards to scooters, wheelchairs, etc.

"Passengers utilizing mobility devices with batteries are advised that the batteries must be a dry cell type, and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom. Mobility devices of any kind, like any other items, may not be left outside the stateroom. Because of staffing limitations, we recommend you be accompanied by someone who is physically able to assist you both onboard and onshore."

Link to the rules for passengers with disabilities: http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

My (now) 89 year old mother has traveled with us a number of times. She used to use a scooter, but on our recent last cruise I insisted on a wheelchair. (She has vision problems and is just not a safe driver!). We have never really seen rude people. You do have to have a LOT of patience where the elevator is concerned. At certain times of the day they are just crowded when they get to your deck. No ones fault.

My mother doesn't like the buffet so eating breakfast and lunch in the dining room is wonderful. It's hard to push a wheelchair around the buffet and describe the food and serve it and find a table!:eek:

Whether you get a handicapped cabin or not is up to you and availability. I will suggest you get a cabin on the same deck as your parents and as close as possible. No matter how young you are, saving steps can be valuable. ;)

A lot depends on the size of cabin. If you've got a larger style or suite, you might be OK.

The idea about a cabin close to your parents is a good one. We're doing 3 cabins right in a row, so no walking a mile to get to each other!

Thanks for the info on keeping the scooter outside. My TA swears she does it all the time, which really surprised me.

My TA swears she does it all the time, which really surprised me.
I'd be very surprised that anyone would be that inconsiderate. Just passing someone in a scooter in the hallway can be a challenge. The cabin stewards have carts they need to get past as do room service. The biggest problem would be in case of an emergency when the scooter would substantially block access; or, if someone weren't paying attention, stumbled, fell and is hurt. Liability would be an issue.

One thing someone saw on the Sapphire last month were scooters parked in the elevator lobby overnight. I don't know if it's allowed or where they were parked. A few doors down from me, someone stored their big walker in the doorway during the day and night. It was mostly in the little alcove in front of the door but it stuck out about 4". That lasted a couple of days and then it was gone.

Wheelchairs, walkers and scooters are supposed to be kept in cabins, however I have noticed that enforcement of this policy seems to vary from ship to ship...I noticed on the Sapphire in December that there a number of chairs and walkers in the halls then last month on the Crown we got a letter reminding us of the policy but a week later on the Ruby...no such letter.

Couple of thoughts, based on Princess experience. DW is a long-time scooter user. We rent one for our cruises, and always book an HC cabin.

As long as we don't choose the peak time in the buffet (usually lasts about half an hour) one of the service people there has always helped her: carried her plate, moved food from the steam table, and found us a seat. Great service.

If you take a wheelchair, remember to ALWAYS lock the brakes if you don't intend to move - and especially in the cabin at night! The first time we cruised, she didn't think of that, so when the sea got a little rough at 4 AM, we were awakened to the "bang bang" of the chair rolling back and forth and hitting the cabin walls!

Have a great cruise Andy.

Archived