Upgrades, yeah right!

Cauvet

I recall that Lougee was on a HAL cruise some time ago and was upraded from a Cat A or B to a Cat S and the person who had originally booked the Cat S was upgraded to the Cat PH. So, it does happen, but golly, not often enough in our experience! :)

Adding it all up, DH and I have spent well over a year of our lives in HAL beds - we always book Cat. A,B or C and have always had the cabin of our choice - upgrades - NEVER!

We've never asked for any special 'favors' but have enjoyed several 'Farewell Dinners' at the Captains Table and frequently been seated with an Officer for dinner. Invariably we're included in the Captains VIP parties and sometimes a luncheon. We enjoy those occasions, they're all very pleasant. We'd be thrilled with an upgrade but the Good Luck Fairy has not yet touched us.

I recall the S to PS upgrade - guess that couple's number came up! - perhaps ours will one day! I live in hope but am not holding my breath! It's like a lottery!

Having secured the cabin of our choice, we probably would'nt have gone for the offered upgrade good as I think it was. Much depends on personal economics.

Have your cruised on the Amsterdam? If so, what did you think?

No - we're 'small (old) ship' devotees.....Maasdam, now gone Niew Amsterdam, now gone Noordam, Prinsendam, Rotterdam V and V1, Ryndam, Statendam, Veendam, Volendam, old/original (Homeric) Westerdam, Zaandam.

:) :) :)

Time2Sail: we have cruised twice on the Amsterdam ffor a total of 33 days and have also sailed on the old Noordam, the Ryndam, Maasdam and Statendam. The Amsterdam is our favorite: a very elegant and comfortable ship. We have enjoyed all of our HAL cruises but especially those on the Amsterdam. Hope you will like her as well.

Sail - Our posts crossed and I couldn't agree with you more... how nice it would be to purchase a B and receive and S automatically, just because they are available... ;)

But don't high numbers Mariners sometimes get these nice upgrades in appreciation of their loyalty to HAL? I would be surprised if that were not the case. But, yes ... I agree with you that the average Joe shouldn't get such a nice upgrade for free, and I certainly wouldn't expect one with my mere three sailings on HAL. But loyal repeated past cruisers should get "stroked" every now and then, don't you agree?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Oh, come on, everyone wishes and hopes for the "Upgrade fairy", I read it on this board all the time. I am not asking for something for nothing. We always book verandas and suites on all our cruises but have never ever been upgraded.

It would just be nice if once in a while the lines would upgrade their loyal cruisers. And those of you that always book an S, wouldn't it be nice to have the penthouse or royal suite once? Seems the folks upstairs never get the upgrade.

I couldn't agree more. I think most people think about it no matter what cabin they book. I thought about being in PS many times but the Upgrade Fairy has not paid me a visit yet. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between expecting an upgrade and wishing for one.

Yes, there are people who book an S and do get upgraded to a PS and for whatever reason they may not admitt to it.

But don't high numbers Mariners sometimes get these nice upgrades in appreciation of their loyalty to HAL?

I don't think anyone knows how upgrades work. Here is an example: I was booked in a mini suite, another person who was also booked in a mini suite was offered an upgrade to an S for an unbelievable price. This other person was a first time cruiser. Go figure !! :(

We have eight cruises, sixty-seven days on HAl. Not a lot by many other standards, but never a sniff of an upgrade or "bargain price" upgrade offer.

First time on Celebrity, at check-in upgraded from outside Category five to Sky Suite. While boarding saw posted signs stating "No Staterooms Available"

Not the exact wording - I'm paraphrasing. Bottom line, the cruise was sold out.

I seriously doubt HAL personnel have time to vet all the pax on board a ship when they're rebalancing the stateroom load to determine who are the senior Mariners. That data is not likely in a readily accessible software bank. However, it is very easy to identify a first timer, and it's likely a good marketing tool to offer the newbie an upgrade.

Maybe people who pay higher fares are upgraded.

Beth

Actually, I think it may be the opposite! When I spoke to a HAL rep, he told me that the insides and lower classes are much easier to sell; so their marketing department looks at available outsides, verandas and suites vs. insides and guarantees. If there are a lot of more expensive cabins available vis-a-vis the cheap ones, HAL will upgrade the lower price holders to make those cabins available for more revenue. I don't think a veranda costs them a heck of a lot more per passenger on any one given cruise, so it's really just good economic sense to fill up the boat.

jmho, Lane

Bill S - Indeed it was Lougee1043 who got upgraded to an S when the occupant of the S got upgraded to the PS. In fact, they became friends and we're joining Lougee and their friends on a cruise in a couple of weeks. Different cruise line and we've all got fairly high end cabins so I don't think we'll be seeing any upgrades.

Seems to me we're trying to make a science out of something that's simply chance. Certainly, short of buying you way up well before the cruise, there's no way to determine or predict if you're going to get upgraded or not. It's like a line of dominoes....tip one over and the whole line falls one after the other...most of the time. Getting an upgrade is pretty much the same....you're either in the line or you're not. There certainly doesn't seem to be any firm logic....high payer/low payer.....frequent cruiser/first time cruiser.....one time it's one way, another time it's the other.

Lane,

I think I was unclear in my post. What I should have said was, maybe HAL is upgrading those who have paid more for a cabin in their catagory. Kind of rewarding those who aren't nickel and diming their cruise fare.

In any event, I have absoulutely no idea how it works for sure. It was just a thought on my part.

Beth :)

[quote name='kryos']But don't high numbers Mariners sometimes get these nice upgrades in appreciation of their loyalty to HAL? I would be surprised if that were not the case. But, yes ... I agree with you that the average Joe shouldn't get such a nice upgrade for free, and I certainly wouldn't expect one with my mere three sailings on HAL. But loyal repeated past cruisers should get "stroked" every now and then, don't you agree?

Blue skies ...

--rita[/QUOTE]

rita - I don't think so - I wish it were the case. My Mom & Dad have never been received a free upgrade and they have tons of days on HAL. I will have my 100 days on this voyage and between DH and all our kids we all have almost 500 - all paid for by DH & I, but we have yet to receive a "VIP" booking. :)

It seems as though more first time cruisers receive the upgrades than not - I guess I can understand, HAL knows were "repeaters" no need for stroking there, but perhaps looking at some new business, they may randomly select 1st timers. Just a thought.

[quote name='gizmo']
Yes, there are people who book an S and do get upgraded to a PS and for whatever reason they may not admitt to it.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I would want to admit it either (if it should ever happened to me...) why create hard feelings for others? I don't think anyone should feel compelled to reveal this. :)

[quote name='ekerr19']rita - I don't think so - I wish it were the case. My Mom & Dad have never been received a free upgrade and they have tons of days on HAL. I will have my 100 days on this voyage and between DH and all our kids we all have almost 500 - all paid for by DH & I, but we have yet to receive a "VIP" booking. :)

It seems as though more first time cruisers receive the upgrades than not - I guess I can understand, HAL knows were "repeaters" no need for stroking there, but perhaps looking at some new business, they may randomly select 1st timers. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

I certainly agree with this as I have over 1100 days with HAL and never received a complimentary upgrade, nor have I asked for one. I don't expect it, but if it should happen then I think we would be very happy that they did finally acknowledge those of us who have sailed for many years with the Line.

[quote name='Pudgesmom']Lane,

I think I was unclear in my post. What I should have said was, maybe HAL is upgrading those who have paid more for a cabin in their catagory. Kind of rewarding those who aren't nickel and diming their cruise fare.

In any event, I have absoulutely no idea how it works for sure. It was just a thought on my part.

Beth :)[/QUOTE]

I get it now. Good thought!

lkt

[quote name='Pudgesmom']Lane,

Beth :)[/QUOTE]

Beth, I think you might have the right idea. Some of us are true bargin hunters and others would just call up HAL direct or any TA and pay full MSRP.(Hey I am in the car business I can't help myself:) ) I think HAL is more likely to upgrade those who paid full fair than those who got a bargain. The reason we hear of so many first timers get upgraded is because in most cases they did pay full fare. At least this is my take on the situation.

I agree with S7S,:) I originally booked a VA, than upgraded myself to a SS,, than upon further thought upgraded to an S. :D
I would be upset if someone else just "found" their way into an S with a free upgrade.:(

This will be my first S and I have a feeling not the last:)

[quote name='viennacruiser']
This will be my first S and I have a feeling not the last:)[/QUOTE]

I can assure you it won't be your last. Our last cruise on the Ryndam was our first S Suite and we got sooooo hooked:p Of our next 3 cruises, two of them are S Suites and hoping and praying to be able to pay for our upgrade to the S on the Maasdam. We have been on a Waitlist since November.

Archived