Turning 21 during my cruise, will they let me drink at midnight?

kingjones59

That will only allow beer and wine. I think the question is whether they will be able to drink liquor when they turn 21 during the cruise.

Like a 21-year-old is going to be extremely picky?????!!! I think they would take whatever was available.

Originally Posted by Mooder

That will only allow beer and wine. I think the question is whether they will be able to drink liquor when they turn 21 during the cruise.

----------

Like a 21-year-old is going to be extremely picky?????!!! I think they would take whatever was available.

-----------

I guess you are going to have to buy "rum runners" for a B-day present and teach mixology !!

What if you turn 55? Do you get the balance of your cruise discounted?:D

OMG, this is getting too complicated for me! :cool:

I'll just have to schedule a cruise for my 55th birthday in [classified] years and let y'all know;).

This has been an eye-opening thread. It'd never occurred to me how this works.

Being on the other side of 21 for more years than I'd care to admit I hadn't given it much thought, either. Still, my DS's will turn 21 one day and they might be on a cruise when they do it.:)

Originally Posted by Mooder

----------

-----------

I guess you are going to have to buy "rum runners" for a B-day present and teach mixology !!

ROTFL. I hope it doesn't come down to that! (and being a college student, I am sure she has had a few impromtu mixology classes already!:))

I signed the waiver for my 18 year old during our cruise on the Pearl in January. They did not enforce the beer and wine only policy and she was allowed the mixed drinks she ordered. She was always with me when she ordered a drink and I always put them on my card, but there was no issues at all.

Talk to reception during a quiet time during the cruise - find out if it's true that you'll be permitted to drink liquor the day you turn 21.

If yes, I suggest you make a little ceremony with your family with you. At midmight march up to reception and swap your sail card with an "adult" one ...

To the OP. When my DD and her boyfriend traveled with us on an NCL cruise to celebrate their graduation from college they were both 21. On more than 1 occasion they were served drinks with a splash or no alcohol. My DD certainly knows here drinks and complained to the server. Ultimately we had to speak with the bar manager. He explained that it was easier to serve "practically virgin" drinks rather than determine if the person was really 21. Cruiselines hate confrontation, just look at all the chair hogs who get away with leaving chairs unattended for hours. My DD got only drank beer the rest of the trip. After all we were paying full price for drinks with little or no alcohol. I say stick with beer and wine if you can obtain written permission and not stress if you can obtain hard liquor. Happy 21st B-Day.

Hey all, this is my first post on here as I have been trying to search for an answer to this and have yet to find one. I am sailing to the Caribbean on the Pearl from March 6-13, and I turn 21 on March 12. My question is, will they let me drink at midnight on March 12th, (March 11th night) as long as I can show my passport proving im 21? I know on the travel documents it lists your age at time of sailing, but how do they handle turning 21 during the cruise?

Thanks!!

#1 Welcome to Cruise Critic!

#2 Best of luck with your situation and Happy Birthday (Mine is tomorrow - the 23rd anniversary of my 21st)

#3 Come Joint our Meet and Greet (we have a mix of old to young, New to experienced) See the link at the bottom...

I signed the waiver for my 18 year old during our cruise on the Pearl in January. They did not enforce the beer and wine only policy and she was allowed the mixed drinks she ordered. She was always with me when she ordered a drink and I always put them on my card, but there was no issues at all.

Good to know. Sandy, are you listening?!

Talk to reception during a quiet time during the cruise - find out if it's true that you'll be permitted to drink liquor the day you turn 21.

If yes, I suggest you make a little ceremony with your family with you. At midmight march up to reception and swap your sail card with an "adult" one ...

Almost sounds like fun!:)

That's only good for beer and wine.

My sincerest apologies.... I did not see that they were both asking about hard liquor

I found this on Cruises.Inc.

Norwegian Cruise Line: Drinking age is 21 -- all ships, all destinations, all liquor. NCL does permit guests between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty (20) to purchase and personally consume wine and beer while on NCL ships with the consent of a parent or legal guardian.

If you were going to Europe, many countries have much lower drinking ages. I don't know about the Caribbean.

We were just on the Epic this last January. DD was 18, we signed the permission slip and she was served drinks. They did not limit her to just beer or wine so she was able to have a mudslide.

Thank you all for the responses, sorry it took me a while to get back on here. But to answer a big question, I will NOT be traveling with my parents, so the waiver is not an option. When I booked the cruise originally, I asked if I would be able to drink on my 21st birthday night and the representative said "yeah that shouldn't be a problem, I think they will have that you are turning 21 in the system." However, she did not seem all that confident

Thank you all for the responses, sorry it took me a while to get back on here. But to answer a big question, I will NOT be traveling with my parents, so the waiver is not an option. When I booked the cruise originally, I asked if I would be able to drink on my 21st birthday night and the representative said "yeah that shouldn't be a problem, I think they will have that you are turning 21 in the system." However, she did not seem all that confident

Thanks for coming back to us and updating this thread. I think you should just go to the guest relations desk upon the stroke of midnight and see if they will change you in the system. After you cruise, please come back to this thread and let us know what happened. Curious minds want to know.

Archived