Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Blanq: There was an Old Navy store in the local (small town) mall for a couple years...and then it closed. While it was there, I found several cruise-worthy items. Also a couple light pullover sweaters that get lots of wear in cooler temps.

Some of the clothes were poor quality fabric or not made well, but looking more thoroughly, I could usually find something.

Good for you - shopping at Old Navy gave you a couple fun dresses for your Next Cruise:cool:!

Well, I finally broke down and picked up the Black lace pencil skirt for .........$6.00!!! Brand new with tags--oh how I love a bargain!!!

I've got a blue top and a red top that I can wear with it but I'm going to be on the lookout for the perfect white top to make it a cocktail outfit. (I've also seen them with a white T and jean jacket for a more casual look.)

Blanq: There was an Old Navy store in the local (small town) mall for a couple years...and then it closed. While it was there, I found several cruise-worthy items. Also a couple light pullover sweaters that get lots of wear in cooler temps.

Some of the clothes were poor quality fabric or not made well, but looking more thoroughly, I could usually find something.

Good for you - shopping at Old Navy gave you a couple fun dresses for your Next Cruise:cool:!

Indiana, I normally do stay away from Old Navy due to quality issues, and I guess it remains to be seen whether they hold up to a wash or not. For now though, I am impressed with the quality. And, these items were so inexpensive that I guess I will not be heart broken if they do not last.

BTW, loved your description of the planners vs non-planners and what that looks like a week before sail. I definately fall in the planner category, with the exception of washing and detailing the car. I live in MN, and in the winter that is just an exercise in futility!

Jkudzu good buy! Look for a women's cut white tuxedo shirt. I found one at Burlington Coat Factory that has knit sides (so the buttons don't gap (love it!), I think it was $12-14

I'm also in the planner category. We're cruising in mid November & I'm pretty well sure exactly what I'm bringing (until I go shopping again [emoji6])

Edited by awhfy

Jkudzu good buy! Look for a women's cut white tuxedo shirt. I found one at Burlington Coat Factory that has knit sides (so the buttons don't gap (love it!), I think it was $12-14

I'm also in the planner category. We're cruising in mid November & I'm pretty well sure exactly what I'm bringing (until I go shopping again [emoji6])

Thanks for the tip! I'm a planner too. Plan every outfit and I always take at least one more day and one more evening outfit than I think I'll need. Just in case. ;) This habit has saved me many times in the event of a broken zipper or the chance to stay an extra day somewhere.

Edited by jkudzu

I just started following this thread. So much fun!

Now, for my share with you, in case anyone is interested, or looking for some cute cruise dresses at a very reasonalbe price, Old Navy has a really good sale right now! Now, I am typically NOT an Old Navy fan as I just do not think their clothes are typically well made, but I just picked up some of the cutest casual dresses and they are so well made. I like comfort, and these fit the bill. All of them will pack nice for my Dec. cruise!

This is a nice weight, and hides flaws. I got it in the pink stripe: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=91340&vid=1&pid=344578002

This is seriously darling, and it's lined! The embroidery is hard to see but it is so cute! http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=91340&vid=1&pid=344578002

I got the canteloupe stripe, but the blue version looks cute too. In fact, the blue stripe seems very "cruisey" to me! The hem detail is sweet with the stripes running opposite from the rest of the dress. http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=91340&vid=1&pid=344579012

I think all of these will look nice with some white sandals!

I LOVE Old Navy dresses! I am 6'1" and only order TALL maxi dresses.....I own 8...Yes I am a tad obsessive with them. They are the longest dresses I have ever owned...some of them I have to wear with heals!

They wash up beautifully. I wash them in cold water and toss them in the dryer for about 8 minutes then take them out and hang them to dry! No ironing and comes out perfect ever tome!

Indiana71 - I can't wait to see your pictures from your family trip! We are still 10 months away from our cruise but I'm so excited for my first trip through the Panama Canal and onto the caribbean! I am a planner so spreadsheets and checks lists for me! Just purchased a pair of gauzy cotton capris for the trip!

We are going to Hawaii for 8 days and the packing list and check lists are done! Of course if I come across a really cute buy - adjustments can be made!

We are going early to tour Machu Picchu, Cusco and Lima - Question for you all - is it more correct to wear a long skirt to tour churches or are modest cotton gauze trousers ok? I thought it prudent to bring a lightweight scarf for my head. This will be my first trip to the southern continent. Guidance is greatly appreciated.

jkudzu - working retail can be so much fun! Hard on the feet but fun!

Indiana71 - I can't wait to see your pictures from your family trip! We are still 10 months away from our cruise but I'm so excited for my first trip through the Panama Canal and onto the caribbean! I am a planner so spreadsheets and checks lists for me! Just purchased a pair of gauzy cotton capris for the trip!

We are going to Hawaii for 8 days and the packing list and check lists are done! Of course if I come across a really cute buy - adjustments can be made!

We are going early to tour Machu Picchu, Cusco and Lima - Question for you all - is it more correct to wear a long skirt to tour churches or are modest cotton gauze trousers ok? I thought it prudent to bring a lightweight scarf for my head. This will be my first trip to the southern continent. Guidance is greatly appreciated.

jkudzu - working retail can be so much fun! Hard on the feet but fun!

I made a trip there a few years back with my DH and DD, her boyfriend proposed on Machu Picchu mountain, over looking the ruins! We were gone for 2 weeks doing a lot of touring. Wore clothes to be comfortable and hiking shoes. Don't think I even took a skirt or dress. We went into some very old churches too. Been to all three places, and more. You'll love it. Get lots of walking in now, so you'll be prepared.

I made a trip there a few years back with my DH and DD, her boyfriend proposed on Machu Picchu mountain, over looking the ruins! We were gone for 2 weeks doing a lot of touring. Wore clothes to be comfortable and hiking shoes. Don't think I even took a skirt or dress. We went into some very old churches too. Been to all three places, and more. You'll love it. Get lots of walking in now, so you'll be prepared.

OMG! What an awesome place to propose!!!! That just takes my breath away!

Thank you for the packing tips. My very victorian grandmother had a great influence on my upbringing so I tend to be a little more formal when I'm venturing off into the unknown (yes, I had hats & white gloves as a child:D). I will adjust my packing list as I want to pack as light as I can for the week we are there. I totally understand starting the walking process now - currently rehabbing a knee. Any other tips for this newbie?:D

DS & family from MN flew to Phila today and are at DIL's parent's home. So their vacation has already begun:cool:.

Other DS & famly and DH & I will meet approx 8 AM at a rest stop on PA Turnpike tomorrow. Should arrive in Phila by 11:30. While the kids and grandkids explore historic Phila, the grandparents will enjoy some backyard deck time!

Thurs AM, we plan to arrive at the port by 11 AM:).

This is my last post until after the Family Cruise:):cool:. Keep the conversation going and I will be back in 2 weeks...or a little sooner if After Cruise Chores are done!

OMG! What an awesome place to propose!!!! That just takes my breath away!

Thank you for the packing tips. My very victorian grandmother had a great influence on my upbringing so I tend to be a little more formal when I'm venturing off into the unknown (yes, I had hats & white gloves as a child:D). I will adjust my packing list as I want to pack as light as I can for the week we are there. I totally understand starting the walking process now - currently rehabbing a knee. Any other tips for this newbie?:D

For your Hi cruise(my daughter lived there so we did a cruise awhile back) I would take a couple long wrinkle free skirts pretty tanks and a wrap. We had light weight khakis from a sporting goods store with zip off legs. Cotton t's. Oh, and just in case take mosquito repellant. The no see um's are horrible at bottom of mountain. We took the train there and natives meet you to sell it!!! A great native market near train station. Be prepared for altitude sickness. Abrupt and awful. Hope you're lucky and not get it. My husband drank the tea and never suffered. I did:(. If you like hats, you can find one in the market and a pretty piece of jewelry. Back to the bugs. We did a tea excursion and they swarmed us. Take one long sleeve t and long pants if you plan on doing this. Loose comfy shirts and shorts, throw in a couple pair of capris for dinner at night and detergent. Be the first in laundry on ship, you'll need it!! So jealous. I'd like to go back. In Lima there's a pizza alley, they beg you to come in and eat. Even bargain with free stuff!! The JFK park is awesome. At the airport change some money, but ATMs have better exchange rate, and the banks have signs out.

Would you like me to send you access to my photo albums? Send me an email address.

Sorry I rambled but things just kind of occurred to me.

Oh, if you find out lava is visible from ship, go get in the hot tub as you pull away at night. Breathtaking.

sunnydaygirl: Thank you for the great tips. I do have insect repellent on my packing list plus a bug bite stick. I was looking at the zip-off pants for me, DH is too tall for most brands. I was hovering about long sleeve shirts so I think I'll add one more to my list. We are planning to go from Lima - Cusco - Sacred Valley which is lower than Cusco. Then onto Machu Picchu then back to Cusco then back to Lima. We'll have one night in Lima before we set sail on the Marina. We will definitely need to do laundry as our last night will be at a water show! Fortunately we board at noon and I have Purex 3n1 sheets in my Amazon basket. We will definitely drink the tea! We are planning on leaving the big suitcases at the hotel in Lime while we go to Machu Picchu and are trying to decide to either carry duffle bags or small roll aboards. What did you take? Keep on rambling! My email is macgrani at gmail dot com

We live at 8500 feet here in Colorado. If you can take aspirin, start taking one 325mg a day about a week prior to your trip into elevation. It will greatly ease the altitude sickness, also increase your consumption of water; staying hydrated is absolutely key. Have a great time. Exoficio is a great travel brand, Columbia as well

We live at 8500 feet here in Colorado. If you can take aspirin, start taking one 325mg a day about a week prior to your trip into elevation. It will greatly ease the altitude sickness, also increase your consumption of water; staying hydrated is absolutely key. Have a great time. Exoficio is a great travel brand, Columbia as well

I've been to Denver, Colorado Springs, Lake Tahoe without any problems with altitude. Of course I was a few years younger then too :roll eyes: I do take medication for high blood pressure so I will definitely check with my doctor about the aspirin. I totally agree about staying hydrated!!! That I start before take our first flight to Lima. We are so excited about this amazing trip! I've been adjusting my packing list with all of these wonderful tips!:D

I've been out hanging with my bestie. That ultimately leads to shopping. Lost a little weight where my clothes are fitting better. Getting just a few new pieces. I'll take pictures and share. Packing will be tough choices. Sept 5 will be here before I know it. [emoji485][emoji486][emoji509][emoji572]️

ImageUploadedByForums1434983386.652263.jpg.248a7101757043bb90fda17b83d26663.jpg

This is a new pair of pants. Finally decided to go with trend. They have very loose elastic at the bottom, not at all tight, just prevents big billowy legs. $9.99 at Cati. Had the top from Label$ from last years favorite purchase and the blue necklace came from Seatle's fish market stalls. I also have a solid blue tunic if I want to dress it up more. For casual dinner. Pewter sandals.

ImageUploadedByForums1434983609.053172.jpg.10f9fdff45b6f35154660f046a449fdd.jpg

New 3 qt sleeved navy striped to wear with skinny jeans, my just in case chilly night.

ImageUploadedByForums1434983674.077342.jpg.cf1d845106dc72fdfb7efd6c25c7852f.jpg

Caribbean Joe shirt and my fav of all time green necklace. I have earrings and ring to match. Bought years ago in Cozumel. I have Ned green capris to match.

ImageUploadedByForums1434983789.282408.jpg.b7518622014d1b1c3a9d6870e6c34e28.jpg

New flirty skirt hits right at knee. A TJ Maxx find. Have a royal ss shirt and necklace already.

ImageUploadedByForums1434983880.041566.jpg.55ff9e2fa068f386bd1e0011a1648345.jpg.

Just fell in love with swingy top. Cato's sale rack too. Have black knit shorts. A leggin-ish pair to right above the knees and regular knit and also walking shorts. Options.

ImageUploadedByForums1434984011.574291.jpg.e1e100031f2d3f4f28bd3cd566af6934.jpglove this swinging dress. Falls straight from the shoulders. Would wear knit shorts or leggings under. My Mother's Day she'll necklace and earrings I found at TJ Maxx. I think this might go with white leggings too. Bought at label$.

ImageUploadedByForums1434984143.932382.jpg.7c67385d4610fc98e55265fe24eb3efc.jpg

A shear 3/4 sleeve wrap with a sleeveless black tank with small jeweled neckline. Both pieces at Label$. I'll wear with skinny black pants for dress up night. Probably just sparkly earrings.

That was from two different excursions. Think I should stay home now!

Edited by sunnydaygirl