Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I shop sales!!! I am in Saskatoon, and shopping choices are limited, so I shop everywhere, including Value Village (black dress, never worn, tags still attached). A lot of the brightly coloured pieces came from The Bay, as did the shoes. The long green and turquoise sundress is a new purchase and came from Winners. The white ankle pants came from Walmart. As you may have guessed, I am addicted to shopping, but have limited funds. If I find pieces I like, I visit them until they are on sale and hope they still have one left in my size...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! Number one rule: never pay full price unless it is something I can't live without (Winners dress).

And I grew up in Victoria! (Retirement plan: move back to the Coast!!):)

Hope you get back here as it is great!

I am a New Brunswick girl originally. So I have lived on both coasts now! Did not miss the winter that the Maritimes had this year.

Sorry the photos were so small! Doesn't really do all my loud patterns justice, but I am using an IPad and can't figure out how to attach the photos as anything but thumbnails. Yes, I am pretty much a Luddite, so I did my best...

I am not a big fan of Tapatalk but it makes putting pictures on Cruise Critic easy. As I recall it is a free app. If you try it and have questions (I had trouble learning to navigate around Tapatalk), just ask.

I have used plastic dry cleaner bags between layers, but find that clothes slip around; so tissue paper works better for me.

The black dress has "rhinestones" on the shoulders. The fabric is no-wrinkle and is forgiving where it needs to be...

On RCI, there's always a 70s night when the Cruise Director and staff dress as the Village People. After the show this time, they stayed around to pose within anyone who wanted a photo...that's me in the blue skirt - on sale in Bermuda. The black buttonless cardigan is from the same store...and on sale, too. I added the jewelry, shoes and a black cami.

NOTE: Always have a couple neutral pieces packed in case of purchases to wear onboard...

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34%3A73%3Enu%3D3733%3E6%3C6%3E2%3C9%3E28246%3C63%3B%3A244ot1lsi

Hi!

I am brand new to this thread but have loved reading it! I admire the support and encouragement you all have for each other! So I'm dipping my toe into the fashionista waters with a question about fabrics for our Lima - NY cruise in April 2016. I'm thinking cotton fabrics along the seersucker line for the tropical part but has anyone found cooling success with synthetic fabrics? Anything to avoid? I'm really sensitive to heat but the Panama Canal is in the tropics. We will do a pre-cruise trip to Machu Picchu and then we will depart from Lima to NY via the Panama Canal. We are newbies to cruising as well. This will be our second cruise the first being an amazing Alaska trip. We will be on the Marina so there won't be any formal nights but a girl has to have her sparkles once in a while right? By the way I am seriously addicted to my excel spreadsheets . . .

WELCOME H2Omac3! You have just received your first CCF Tiara for keeping a Cruise Excel spreadsheet:cool:!

So pleased to have you join all of us who love to cruise AND love to put together outfits.

I would go with cotton and seersucker. Synthetics don't work well for me in warm/hot climates. They just stick to me! Hopefully, another CCF can give you more knowledgeable advice.

Where Has May Gone???:eek: Yes we were on a cruise. Yes we have been doing some maintenance at the Lake House...but still, this month is flying by!!

This is the latest I have ever opened the suitcases to start packing - less than 3 weeks to go! BUT, outfits are chosen, checklist for non-clothing items is ready.

I have said here, that patterns and color are my preference...here's proof - a few of the clothes that are about to go in the luggage:

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B9%3C7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D37349%3A48%3C7335nu0mrj

The black, green, blue and white strapless dress was almost a consignment shop castoff...but I tried it on and asked DH if it was appropriate for my (youthful) age. He gave a resounding Yes!

The brown & white dress is a halter style.

The black with slashes of color is a Betsy Johnson that was on sale. I'll wear that the evening the 6 adults go to a specialty restaurant.

The pink & white Capris & top were worn on our First Cruise...and have stayed in the closet since then:rolleyes:. Don't know why it hasn't made the cut more often, but that's the outfit I'm wearing on SailAway day - meaning it goes on in the morning for boarding and stays on through dinner and evening activities. Casual sandals and the Bagalini tote will be swapped for dressier shoes and a clutch purse.

The other Capris are daytime outfits.

A couple more photos next time....gotta get back to the Cruise Room and those suitcases!:cool::)

Edited by indiana71

Hi!

I am brand new to this thread but have loved reading it! I admire the support and encouragement you all have for each other! So I'm dipping my toe into the fashionista waters with a question about fabrics for our Lima - NY cruise in April 2016. I'm thinking cotton fabrics along the seersucker line for the tropical part but has anyone found cooling success with synthetic fabrics? Anything to avoid? I'm really sensitive to heat but the Panama Canal is in the tropics. We will do a pre-cruise trip to Machu Picchu and then we will depart from Lima to NY via the Panama Canal. We are newbies to cruising as well. This will be our second cruise the first being an amazing Alaska trip. We will be on the Marina so there won't be any formal nights but a girl has to have her sparkles once in a while right? By the way I am seriously addicted to my excel spreadsheets . . .

Welcome to the thread. I wear both cotton and synthetic fabric. I don't get very hot on board the ship. But I try to wear cotton off the ship. I do have some seersucker too.

What will the temp be in Machu Picchu?

indiana71,

Love your choices. Looking forward to seeing your other outfits.

Hi!

Re: Your Lima and Machu Picchu leg of the trip

April is in the rainy season in Machu Picchu, so take a lightweight waterproof jacket with a hood. If you can spare the room in your suitcase, some lightweight hiking shoes are very helpful there especially if you want to do any hiking on the trails within the site. Lima has a different kind of climate...very dry with a mist instead of rain. Panama is the opposite, warm and very humid. Synthetic quick-dry nylon clothing that is vented works well in a wet climate, even better than cotton, because once cotton gets soaked from rain or perspiration, it takes a long time to dry. Look at Exofficio.com for cooling synthetic shirts, shorts and pants. Since it is designed for travel, you won't need many pieces because you can wash them out in the sink and they dry fast.

33 days from cruising, and I don't have a single outfit laid out! I've got 19 days before my sis arrives from the UK for an eight day visit, so I guess I need to get busy. All of your posts are inspiring me. Unfortunately, I'm trading my tropical colors for wools and flannel this round. Wish me luck as I prepare for Alaska!

33 days from cruising' date=' and I don't have a single outfit laid out! I've got 19 days before my sis arrives from the UK for an eight day visit, so I guess I need to get busy. All of your posts are inspiring me. Unfortunately, I'm trading my tropical colors for wools and flannel this round. Wish me luck as I prepare for Alaska![/quote']

When we were in Alaska I brought a jacket for $19.99 that was great. It has a hood, lined and waterproof. I got it is Skagway mining co. They sold the jackets in most of the ports we were in. I still use the jacket.

H2Omac3, look at Athleta & Exoficio, as well as Columbia. I've found these three to be absolute staples of my wardrobe, not just for cruising. I just about live in my (stink free, says so on the label [emoji6]) quarter zip rash guard & skort from Athleta, stylish & comfortable, they also contain a SPF50 in the fabric. I don't think I even own any cotton shirts any longer, they take too long to dry & wrinkle too badly. Agree on the lightweight hooded jacket, a must

Hi!

Just wanted to add my two cents:). I loved our Machu Picchu trip. I recommend a water shoe that can double as a hiking shoe. Also I have wool socks from Northface(a hikers paradise) that can be wrong for 7 days without washing if need be. They air out, when not being worn. I have several pairs for different climates. Love my low purple ones!!

:DThank you ALL so much for the wonderful tips! We cruised to Alaska last year and it was so much easier to pack for! This up coming trip will be our second cruise and we are so excited!

Indiana71 - Thank you for the warm welcome! I will wear my spread sheet tiara proudly! My TA says they are scary! I love how you pack & plan. While I don't have a cruise room (yet....) I do have a very sturdy curtain rod in my room that I hang the bottoms (pants/skirts) on then hang the tops that go with each bottom then I place the shoes that will go with the outfits. Then I start weeding out the the unnecessary pieces. I really like your idea organizing your jewelry - I think I'm going to "borrow" that one:D

SunnyDayGirl - I would LOVE a shoe recommendation (just don't tell my husband). Unfortunately I have to have arch support in my shoes so that is important. I'm traveling with friends so we are planning a trip to REI to check shoes and other things ;) I have at least one pair of Smart Wool socks is that similar to what you have?

awhfy: I do have a lightweight hooded jacket so I'm good there and it folds up into it's own little pouch too! It's been to many water polo games in all kinds of weather! That's where the H20mac3 comes from - 3 Mac Kenzies in water sports. I will check out those three sights and see how much trouble I can get into! Thank you! I am trying to find alternatives to cotton shirts I mean who wants to iron when on vacation (or any other time).

I will take any and all suggestions on how to prepare for Machu Picchu and the tropic! I have so found my peeps!:D :D :D

H2Omac3. If you're involved in water activities definitely check out Athleta. The skorts are amazing (dry faster than a bathing suit, can be dressed up or down & are so very comfortable...free returns as well). Buy one size up on the skorts they are slim cut, not cheap but very well made & longlasting

We are not involved as much in water sports now as the kids are grown and have children of their own. But the grandkids are all water babies so it's just a matter of time before I haul out the swim bag and sunscreen again. I really like the skort idea and I would rather pay for quality and durability too! We are going to Hawaii in October so I think that would be the perfect place for a "test drive" of any item that might get shipped from Athleta to my house. Already found a few items of interest - Thank you!:D

SunnyDayGirl - I would LOVE a shoe recommendation (just don't tell my husband). Unfortunately I have to have arch support in my shoes so that is important. I'm traveling with friends so we are planning a trip to REI to check shoes and other things ;) I have at least one pair of Smart Wool socks is that similar to yours

Yes, "smart wool" socks are great. My son, bless his heart:), manages a Northface store. That is where my shoes came from. But I also have a pair from Jeep41. But all the brands have them. Used them in Hi too. Gosh, it's fun to travel!! Just booked another cruise. Although the ports are a repeat, taking a daughter and 18mo grandson, so who cares where we go!!! She gets sea sick so patches for her.

As far as cruise clothing, or any clothing for that matter, I am really struggling with weight gain from my winter in Florida that included a Jan and Feb cruise. Since I'm looking ahead to cruise 1 in Sept. #2 in Oct Disney 9 days in Nov. Thanksgiving and Christmas, back to Florida and cruise #3 Feb 6 on the new escape. They'll be rolling me home in March.

I've been painting furniture and redoing a couple of rooms, one will definitely be the packing room, next to laundry and full closet!!

My bike has air in its tires and I'm waiting for this Indiana weather to stabilize.

I've definitely eaten my share of salads and no pot or bread. Slow goes the snail. Have a great week ladies.

These racks are all from ikea and all are across from my new washer and dryer. The pant racks collapse against the wall when not in use. $19.99. Great for hanging bottoms but I now see I can use these when I'm packing too. ImageUploadedByForums1433194222.528630.jpg.87f2f831c8219469f7c076f572ec0f88.jpg. Lol!! Just realized those are my purple smart wool socks hanging there!!

Love the ikea racks! They do a great job of holding Cruise Clothes and can be brought out when needed. Thanks for posting the pix, sunndaygirl:cool:!

Since I'm a compulsive organizer, racks, shelves, etc., lure me in and call my name:rolleyes:...too bad there isn't an ikea near me...

Indiana71--wanted you to know that I now think of you everytime I go to work!;) As you might remember, I retired about 6 months ago. I've been a little bored so I wandered into a new resale shop in our town. It deals in high end clothing. While I was there the owner was swamped with customers so I helped her out best I could. After the mad rush was over she offered me a job. I only work once a week but it's so much fun! In between customers, I'm checking out the racks for must haves, putting together outfits, and checking out the cruise clothing. It's a great training camp for an aspiring fashionista! So far, although very tempted, I've only purchased a navy skirt (that I've been hunting forever) for $2!!! But I've got my eye on more items for my closet. :D Just wanted to share! J

Indiana71--wanted you to know that I now think of you everytime I go to work!;) As you might remember, I retired about 6 months ago. I've been a little bored so I wandered into a new resale shop in our town. It deals in high end clothing. While I was there the owner was swamped with customers so I helped her out best I could. After the mad rush was over she offered me a job. I only work once a week but it's so much fun! In between customers, I'm checking out the racks for must haves, putting together outfits, and checking out the cruise clothing. It's a great training camp for an aspiring fashionista! So far, although very tempted, I've only purchased a navy skirt (that I've been hunting forever) for $2!!! But I've got my eye on more items for my closet. :D Just wanted to share! J

What a great part time job. I all ways found it fun to work with people. You can also get "first picks" when new clothing arrives!

sunnydaygirl,

The racks are great. I am putting a extra storage closet in the basement to hold the over flow.

indiana71,

What kind of necklace are you going to wear with the brown and white dress?

Maybe something in white?