UK to lose Independence OTS??

BMT

IF the rumour is correct and Indie is being homeported in the US in a couple of years time, will RCI have another ship homeported in Southampton?

We always believed Radiance class would be more suited to winter-weather cruising.

Rumors are almost always incorrect when it comes to where a ship will be in a few years. Im the type dont worry about a rumor or help spread it until you know its true.

Problem is that I have been half-expecting something like this!!

IF the rumour is correct and Indie is being homeported in the US in a couple of years time, will RCI have another ship homeported in Southampton?

We always believed Radiance class would be more suited to winter-weather cruising.

Totally agree with radiance class being far more suitable for winter cruises - whoever thought that a ship with no roof would be a good idea in the Bay of Biscay in February:rolleyes:

A Radiance class would not attract UK families in the same way as a Voyager class or Freedom class ship would do.

It's strange but the Independence always seems to sail full do there is a definate demand. Shame they can't enclose an area like on tbe Radiance class then we have the best of both. I agree families are definately more attracted to the Freedom/ Voyager class.

It's strange but the Independence always seems to sail full do there is a definate demand. Shame they can't enclose an area like on tbe Radiance class then we have the best of both. I agree families are definately more attracted to the Freedom/ Voyager class.

The prices for a lot of the winter sailings for the Independence have dropped a lot since booking first opened and perhaps that is why the ship is sailing full.

There has been quite a few bad reviews on the Indy in the past few months which is a shame as she is a lovely ship.

Well, I was on another RCCL ship when the Indie was anounced to be homeported in Southampton. I asked the Captain why Indie and not a Radiance class with a covered pool and he said he was curious also. So I wrote to Mr.***** and reading between the lines, it was financial - they can carry many more pax on Indie qed more income!!

But since they are having to lower the price anyway to try to fill the ship, they may as well sell a Radiance class I should think and have less hassle and more comfort for older passengers who make up the majority of winter cruisers.

Or perhaps nothing from Soham in the winter?

A Radiance class would not attract UK families in the same way as a Voyager class or Freedom class ship would do.

There should not be any families travelling in Jan/Feb as the children will be at school. I'm sure that the more senior demographic on board would far prefer to have the lovely covered solarium of the radiance class ships. Of the many reviews I read, a common comment was that there was no where to go outside on the bad weather days and the RP was just jammed.

How about Radiance in the winter and Oasis during the summer (then the plants will get watered regularly!);)

From what I've read, she might be coming to Galveston year round, which would be nothing short of amazing. It's a challenge to find friends who are willing to go to Florida for a cruise when Carnival is just a few hours away. Carnival will be moving the Triumph and the new dream-class Magic to Galveston, maybe RCI is realizing what money maker it can be.

The problem with the Voyager/Freedom class is that there is not enough interior seating areas for relaxation when passengers cannot go out on deck.

Also, I have been suggesting to HQ for sometime now, that the MDR should be open daily, with proper lunch hours (not the occasional measly hour!!), as older passengers cannot be expected to fight with 3,000+ passengers for food in the WJ. I cannot understand why there cannot be an extra shift of staff on board to deal with this, as the personnel for the outside deck do nothing for days on end!!

Cutting costs and saving on staff for necessary dining, has done the cruiseline no favours IMHO. Mind you, one Manager said that when he started as a waiter, it was normal to do breakfast, lunch and dinner - we have certainly noticed that when lunch was served in the Main Dining Room, the staff were rather surly. Once overheard Managers discussing issues with service for lunch!!!:eek:

The problem with the Voyager/Freedom class is that there is not enough interior seating areas for relaxation when passengers cannot go out on deck.

Also, I have been suggesting to HQ for sometime now, that the MDR should be open daily, with proper lunch hours (not the occasional measly hour!!), as older passengers cannot be expected to fight with 3,000+ passengers for food in the WJ. I cannot understand why there cannot be an extra shift of staff on board to deal with this, as the personnel for the outside deck do nothing for days on end!!

Cutting costs and saving on staff for necessary dining, has done the cruiseline no favours IMHO. Mind you, one Manager said that when he started as a waiter, it was normal to do breakfast, lunch and dinner - we have certainly noticed that when lunch was served in the Main Dining Room, the staff were rather surly. Once overheard Managers discussing issues with service for lunch!!!:eek:

Have sailed on every Voyager and Freedom class ship and never have a problem with "interior" seating whether you can go out on the deck or not? And as far as the windjammer is concerned, crowded at times maybe depending on what time you go, but come on fighting for a place to eat?? Really my parents are "older" as you state and they have never once come back from the WJ having to fight for a seat:rolleyes: And as far as your statement saying that the personnel for the outside decks do nothing for days on end , shows your lack of knowledge as far as what the crew does on any given day, sorry:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

Have sailed on every Voyager and Freedom class ship and never have a problem with "interior" seating whether you can go out on the deck or not? And as far as the windjammer is concerned, crowded at times maybe depending on what time you go, but come on fighting for a place to eat?? Really my parents are "older" as you state and they have never once come back from the WJ having to fight for a seat:rolleyes: And as far as your statement saying that the personnel for the outside decks do nothing for days on end , shows your lack of knowledge as far as what the crew does on any given day, sorry:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

Well, I am really trying very hard to be polite here - with difficulty of course:rolleyes:

We are talking here about the Indie cruises in the winter to the Med and Canaries. There is a UK forum similar to this, where the recurring theme is the lack of inside space when the decks are not usable, which is much of the time. All these people can't be wrong. Ditto the WJ.

We have just come off the Indie after 24 days over Christmas/NY and I can assure you that there were some extremely peeved passengers who could not find comfortable places to sit and were just wandering about hoping someone would move. Fortunately, we had the use of the two private lounges and various other 'opportunities' which is why we cruise OFTEN on the Indie from Southampton.

As for the WJ - well, at times on these winter cruises it has to be seen to be believed, as most people are back on board at about 1.30 (no beaches!) and chaos ensues. My mother was actually pushed over in the WJ last year and a gentleman onboard at present, I believe had room service at lunchtime because he found it so unpleasant.

So, my clever friend, as the outside decks are not used for much of that time, where are the deck staff?? Certainly not assisting at peak food time!!

And I wonder why RCI couldn't supply an extra service shift on board for the MDR for these particular cruises? These cruises make HUGE money for the cruise line as they are not cheapos like the Caribbean!! The drinks bills are huge also and most passengers have prepaid tips, so the staff do well. I just feel that by scrimping on staff, RCI have shot themselves in the foot with the Indie in the UK.

This extremely high usage of the interior for days on end, has also impacted on the norovirus on board, which has proved extremely difficult to get rid of. This operation from the UK is totally different to the Caribbean cruises etc. We have done many of these also, as we lived in Ft. Lauderdale, so I do believe, contrary to your esteemed opinion, that I know what I am talking about.:rolleyes:

Hopefully, if you do reply to this post, it will be in a knowledgable and informative way - showing the politeness and consideration which is acceptable behaviour on forums. This is a discussion board - not a 'let's insult each other' board!!

Well, IF this is true-I do also hope that the UK then is replaced with a ship our friends from the other side of the pond will be happy with.

For me-if Indy comes back to this side-I may be able to see my good friend 'Hobie' a bit more often though!!!:D [pending him staying with the ship;)]

I hadn't heard this, but can't say I would be surprised.

I think a smaller ship (or two!) would be better suited to the UK market, with maybe one ship sailing out of the new London port when that opens!

What a GREAT idea!!

But I seem to recall that RCCL built the new terminal in Southampton specifically for their ships, so it may be wishful thinking.

What a GREAT idea!!

But I seem to recall that RCCL built the new terminal in Southampton specifically for their ships, so it may be wishful thinking.

I thought the new terminal in Southampton was built by/for P&O. I might be mistaken.

BTW - love your signature. Does that mean we now have to take Duct Tape AND WD40 on every cruise? LOL;)

Just read a report that the new Greenwich terminal will be able to service ships up to 240m in length.

Considering that Monarch is 268m long, i'm beginning to wonder why they're bothering with a cruise terminal at all. :(

BTW - love your signature. Does that mean we now have to take Duct Tape AND WD40 on every cruise? LOL;)

Sue we always pack duct tape, WD40 and Imodem!!!!

???????:confused::confused: What you want Imodem for????? :confused::confused:

LOL

Archived