Local Cozumel man charged in murder of Allure musician

Crewzer33

Am I the only one bothered by the following:

"We thank the Mexican authorities for their commitment to quickly solving the murder of our crew member, Monika Markiewicz," said RCI's president and CEO, Adam Goldstein, in the statement.

While this guy may very well have been the murderer, it's as if the CEO of RCI has him already convicted. Not a very American thing to do for an American company. He is still entitled to a trial.

I understand what you are saying, but I have read a few other articles that said he the suspect already confessed to the murder. RCI's president may be referring to that information.

"We thank the Mexican authorities for their commitment to quickly solving the murder of our crew member, Monika Markiewicz," said RCI's president and CEO, Adam Goldstein, in the statement.

While this guy may very well have been the murderer, it's as if the CEO of RCI has him already convicted. Not a very American thing to do for an American company. He is still entitled to a trial.

Just to support my prior statement, I suggest reading this article.

Text is below:

Nelson Perez Torres, age 24, reportedly confessed to striking Royal Caribbean crew member Monika Markiewicz in the head with a rock and then throwing her into the ocean, according to the chief prosecutor of the Mexican state of Quintana Roo where Cozumel is located.

As we reported in a prior article, Ms. Monika Markiewicz, a 32-year-old Polish musician who worked aboard Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas cruise ship was found last Saturday in the waters off the southern part of Cozumel. Her employer, Royal Caribbean Cruises, indicated that she was a victim of foul play.

This morning, Royal Caribbean took the unusual step of issuing a statement via PR Newswire, claiming that the killer and Ms. Markiewicz were "casually acquainted for several months." The cruise line also made a point of characterizing the crime as "isolated and uncharacteristic" for Cozumel." Royal Caribbean also congratulated its security department for assisting in the investigation which led to the arrest of the alleged killer.

Meanwhile, a newspaper in Mexico Por Esto is reporting that the parents of Mr. Torres are complaining that their son had been falsely accused of the crime and allegedly intimidated into a confession. They claim that he had never been in trouble before and he had worked at a bar near the cruise pier for the past eight years. They claim that because they are a humble family of little means, their son was railroaded into a confession. Friends and family members picketed at the pier with signs saying Mr. Torres is innocent.

There are several Mexican newspapers indicating that Mr. Torres gave different statements to the police, initially stating that he did not know Ms. Markiewicz and had never seen her, or that they had walked together to a location and he left after she resisted his advances, or that she had slipped and then he hit her with a rock to end her suffering.

I think you are looking too much in to it. I work directly with the American justice system and I don't see a problem with the statement. It's just a CEO giving kudos to the Mexican authorities.

I understand what you are saying, but I have read a few other articles that said he the suspect already confessed to the murder. RCI's president may be referring to that information.

Then it is poor journalism on the authors part to include such a quote without specifying the accused addmission of guilt. After all, all I had to go on was the article listed in the OP post. Still, even with a confession, until he is formally convicted, the CEO should not say such things. This is, after all, Mexico. We have to understand that "interrogation" techniques around the world are not always as gentle as what they use in the US.

I think you are looking too much in to it. I work directly with the American justice system and I don't see a problem with the statement. It's just a CEO giving kudos to the Mexican authorities.

I don't think I am looking too much into it. Just arresting someone does not mean the case is solved. Until there is a conviction, the case is far from solved. Sure for the police it may be solved, but what if it turns out to be someone else? Can you still say that the case is solved? I am of the opinion that it was a poor choice of words for someone of his position to use. I also have to assume that it was a prepared statement which means they could have thought that out a lot better. This is just my own opinion.

You also have to consider that the CEO may have information that the general public does not know as of yet. I would agree it is poor journalism on the authors part, but I linked an article to cruise law that states his confession.

Can't question the interogation tactics in Mexico either, but since this is not the US, Mexican courts may act a little different.

However, it looks like it's all wrapped up if you ask me.

Then it is poor journalism on the authors part to include such a quote without specifying the accused addmission of guilt. After all, all I had to go on was the article listed in the OP post. Still, even with a confession, until he is formally convicted, the CEO should not say such things. This is, after all, Mexico. We have to understand that "interrogation" techniques around the world are not always as gentle as what they use in the US.

The suspect is entitled to a fair trial in the United States, yes, in the rest of the world not so much. It's sometimes easy to forget that the Constitution ends at our borders.

If this guy is what's standing between Mexico seeing a happy RCCI or an unhappy RCCI then you can bet he's not going to enjoy the rest of his life, regardless of whether or not he confessed or actually did it.

The suspect is entitled to a fair trial in the United States, yes, in the rest of the world not so much. It's sometimes easy to forget that the Constitution ends at our borders.

If this guy is what's standing between Mexico seeing a happy RCCI or an unhappy RCCI then you can bet he's not going to enjoy the rest of his life, regardless of whether or not he confessed or actually did it.

You need to re-read my post. Never said he was entitled to a fair trial...just a trial... which, under Mexican law he is entitled to. I was not trying to extend out constitution to Mexico... in fact, do some research... you will find that the Mexican judicial system is far more liberal than what we have here in the States.

You need to re-read my post. Never said he was entitled to a fair trial...just a trial... which, under Mexican law he is entitled to. I was not trying to extend out constitution to Mexico... in fact, do some research... you will find that the Mexican judicial system is far more liberal than what we have here in the States.

On a philosophical level, in my mind a trial that's not fair isn't a trial.

On a more concrete level, I'm aware of the Mexican legal system in broad strokes.

What a strange thing to say. Luckily for those of us not fortunate enough to live in your country, the right to a fair trial is enshrined in international law (see e.g. the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or the European Convention on Human Rights). There's also a little thing called the Magna Carta, which predates your constitution by about 575 years....

Until there is a conviction, the case is far from solved.

No, not really. Even in our own system, the majority of criminal cases do not result in conviction, not because they didn't do it, but because most cases plea with adjudication withheld, or to some sort of pre-trial intervention, or even just no prosectuion sometimes. That does not mean the case wasn't solved. A case is solved when enough probable cause exists to arrest and accuse a subject, as there appears to be in this case. In most cases, a confession is plenty probable cause, not to mention the evidence that led them to that subject.

What a strange thing to say. Luckily for those of us not fortunate enough to live in your country, the right to a fair trial is enshrined in international law (see e.g. the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or the European Convention on Human Rights).

It might be enshrined in international law but it's routinely and utterly ignored by a dispiriting number of countries.

If you were on trial in a vast number of countries and crowed about the Universal Declaration of Human Rights or the European Convention on Human Rights they'd laugh themselves silly before convicting you.

There's also a little thing called the Magna Carta, which predates your constitution by about 575 years....

Did I say that the Constitution was the first document of its type that enumerated the rights and responsibilities between the goverment and the governed? If not, you come across as condescending.

So now it was a crew member murdered & not a passenger? Wasn't there just a thread on here yesterday that had a link to an artical that said the woman found in the ocean was NOT the musician...and the musician turned up in a hospital after committing suicide by swallowing a broach?? Sorry...I'm confused...this is worse than a soap opera!

Not a very American thing to do for an American company.

"Application of Section 883 of the Internal Revenue Code

We(RCI) and our subsidiary, Celebrity Cruises Inc., the operator of Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises, are foreign

corporations engaged in a trade or business in the United States, and our ship-owning subsidiaries are foreign corporations that, in

many cases, depending upon the itineraries of their ships, receive income from sources within the United States. Under Section 883 of

the Internal Revenue Code, certain foreign corporations are not subject to United States federal income or branch profits tax on

United States source income derived from or incidental to the international operation of a ship or ships, including income from the

leasing of such ships."

He confessed to the murder, so what was wrong with the CEO'S comments????:confused:

Archived