Cruising with RCI in in March while terminally ill

We took our son on a cruise less than a week after he broke his pelvis. He was using a wheelchair to get around some of the time, not exclusively. The cabin we had (D category) was very difficult to manuever with the chair - for him and for everyone else. If you don't have one already, I would recommend requesting an accessible cabin.

We rented the wheelchair - it was delivered to our cabin. We left it there at the end of the cruise, and the rental company picked it up. We used the RCI assistance wheelchairs to get him on and off the ship (and at the airport used the airline's chairs). This worked out very well. There are posts on wheelchair rentals - do a search to find them.

Right now Mrs E is in the ICU battling for her life, but is still planning another cruise with her Sisters. This time I will get a cat-sitter and go with her if she pulls through this current crisis.

God bless Mrs Evaluator, and God bless Insidecruiser's Dad. Our family has been through the same thing. I sincerely hope that they each have more cruises to enjoy in the future.

I don't really have much to add, that the other posters haven't already said, but having buried my mother yesterday (she died 3 days after being diagnosed with cancer), this thread definitely struck a chord.

My mother was scheduled to cruise with me at the end of April. We did all the research about scooters, and truly, to get a scooter in the door of the cabin, you need the accessible cabin. From what I have heard though, it might be possible to have one, but have RCL staff park it elsewhere for the night? Not sure about this option. Maybe with as many people as you have traveling with you, a manual wheelchair might be a good option - since it folds up?

The showers... can't see a stool fitting in the itty bitty capsule!

Thanks again for the responses, and condolences to those that have lost loved ones.

We've called RCI and there are no accessible cabins available.

We reserved a shower stool for his room, RCI said no problem fitting it into the standard shower ....

Called Special Needs at Sea and they said there would be no problem getting their scooter (21" wide) into a standard inside cabin. RCI agreed ...

Everything is just backup because at the moment he is doing really well. If we order the scooter we may have it delivered to one of our rooms "just in case". Would be nice to have at Labadee.

Regards,

InsideCruiser

Bravo to you and your family! I'm so glad your Dad is excited. That's just the way it should be. Our family has cruised together for many years and it's one of our great pleasures together. I have been diagnosed this year, with Cardiomyopathy and worry, but my daughters worry more and never say a word. Planning our upcoming cruises (April and JUly), has been just what we needed. I spoke with my doctor and asked if it was foolish for us to plan this cruise and he said he thought it was a good idea and to enjoy myself. I know this cruise will be different, and I know my daughters worry that either of these cruises could be the last we enjoy together. While I look perfectly healthy, and I'm relatively young, my condition is severe. I know it may be necessary for us to rent a wheelchair because of the difficulty of me being able to walk great distances. I'm so pleased you are able to go on this cruise. I'm not planning to inform RCI about my condition, but I did purchase the insurance at the time we booked. We are building memories and I know we will have a great time together. We've had more smiles on our faces since booking these cruises than we've had since this diagnosis. We are excited. You'll never be sorry about the cruise and the little things will take care of themselves. BTW...in Labadee they have these incredible wheelchairs with these big inner-tubes. A regular wheelchair just won't cut it on the sand. They have these great guys to push the wheelchair for you. They did this for my Mother on our last cruise and they were worth more than the money/tip we gave them. Enjoy yourselves!! It's one of the best things you could ever do for him or yourselves.

Thanks again for the responses, and condolences to those that have lost loved ones.

We've called RCI and there are no accessible cabins available.

We reserved a shower stool for his room, RCI said no problem fitting it into the standard shower ....

Called Special Needs at Sea and they said there would be no problem getting their scooter (21" wide) into a standard inside cabin. RCI agreed ...

Everything is just backup because at the moment he is doing really well. If we order the scooter we may have it delivered to one of our rooms "just in case". Would be nice to have at Labadee.

Regards,

InsideCruiser

SO glad everything is working out well. I hope your cruise goes wonderfully!!

Right now Mrs E is in the ICU battling for her life, but is still planning another cruise with her Sisters. This time I will get a cat-sitter and go with her if she pulls through this current crisis.

Mr E, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Mrs. E. Prayerfully she will pull thru her current crisis and I will get to meet you and her on a cruise someday.

As most others have said, I would definitely get the wheelchair/shower stool even if you think he may not need it. It's better to have it there just in case! As you said, things can definitely change from day and day. A personal recommendation would be to have some labwork drawn right before the cruise so you are aware of his WBC...they can drop significantly after chemo and he would possibly need special food preparation. Also make sure you have some medication for nausea for him, just in case :) Hope your family has a great time and share some wonderful memories on your cruise!

I saw your first post yesterday and was not going to respond, but it has been on my mind since then. My late DH and I booked our first cruise while he was in remission from lung cancer. By the time the date arrived, the cancer had returned and he had been undergoing chemo for three months. We went on the cruise in between rounds, with the oncologist's approval. It was absolutely the best vacation we ever had, and I will be forever grateful that we went. In the pictures I took, he is bloated from chemo, almost bald, and wearing a huge smile. That cruise left me with some of the happiest memories I have of him and our marriage. Take your father on the cruise, plan ahead to be prepared for what needs may arise, use common sense, and above all, enjoy each other. I can promise you will not regret it.

God bless Mrs Evaluator, and God bless Insidecruiser's Dad. Our family has been through the same thing. I sincerely hope that they each have more cruises to enjoy in the future.

Mr E, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Mrs. E. Prayerfully she will pull thru her current crisis and I will get to meet you and her on a cruise someday.

Thanks for the kind words of support.

Cruise therapy beats chemotherapy every time.:)

Just wanted to share that we did not have insurance and my husband became quite ill on a cruise and was in their hospital. Our own health insurance covered his stay there. You pay the ship before you leave, but they do provide documentation to submit to your insurance company. Hope you do not need their services and that you have a special time with your family. IMHO, I would order the wheelchair and shower chair if I could. I am a nurse and like to have things covered just in case. Ships are so long, and much walking is involved. He needs to save his strength for having a good time, not walking long hallways.

They are only for people who are injured while on the cruise - they will not provide them to anyone else.

I echo the advice to do everything possible to get either a handicapped cabin or a suite as the scooter will not fit through the doorway of a "regular" cabin and cannot be left in the hallway.

We have sailed with friends, one who is a senior with a back condition. He always rents a scooter or wheelchair and reserves a shower chair. They are available to others along with anyone injured on the ship. From a liability perspective, the line would rather have passengers protected rather than be injured due to a disability.

You've already received so many helpful responses but I thought I would add my two cents. We also went on a cruise when my 45 year-old husband was terminally ill. I got a lot of grief from other family members about it and whether it was a "safe idea". I thought it was the perfect idea. Even planning the cruise was wonderful for my husband. It brightened his days. We had always loved to travel and I wanted him to enjoy another opportunity to cruise and create more memories for our family. I didn't mind if we ever got off the ship at any of the ports -- just being on the ship was a vacation.

We did not inform the cruise line as I felt there was no need to. I did bring a copy of all his medical records, a list of all medications he was currently taking, and extra medications for anything that might arise. (Diarhea, constipation, headache, etc.) Due to the effects of chemotherapy, our doctor warned he may be more prone to seasickness than usual and had us take various nausea medications. We also brought extra pain medications as he did exert himself more than normal and some days needed more than normal.

So how did the cruise turn out? It was FABULOUS! We all had a wonderful time making the most of each day. Just sitting on chaise lounges on the deck reading while watching the ocean made for delightful days. We even did an excursion in one of the ports. The next day, he was rather tired, but very happy so our young son suggested we stay in the cabin and watch a movie. We snuggled in bed and ordered room service. It felt like luxury for all of us. Definitely a favorite memory that my son and I look back upon.

As for the wheelchair, we didn't have one but in hindsight, it might have been handy. Walking those long hallways can be pretty tiring. It would have helped when waiting for elevators as people didn't realize he was ill and physically couldn't stand for long periods of time. (I just searched on CraigsList and saw a few advertised for $25. You might consider buying a used one.)

Go, enjoy, and have a wonderful time. You'll be so glad you did!

We cruised the Oasis last April and every night there was an electric wheelchair in the hallway. Not sure if things have changed where they dont let you do this anymore. If the wheelchair doesnt fit I'm sure the cabin steward could help advise you where you could leave it and charge it. Enjoy your cruise with your Dad!

We have sailed with friends, one who is a senior with a back condition. He always rents a scooter or wheelchair and reserves a shower chair. They are available to others along with anyone injured on the ship. From a liability perspective, the line would rather have passengers protected rather than be injured due to a disability.

I was referring to them providing passengers with a wheelchair, not a shower chair. As you have noted, passengers must provide their own wheelchairs or scooters as there are only enough wheelchairs for getting passengers on and off the ship and for those who are injured during the trip.

Mr. E - I would also like to add my best wishes that Mrs. E enjoys many more happy cruises - as you said - attitude is everything.

DH needed a wheelchair to get on and off the ship - Liberty. There was no problem getting one. The rest of the time he walked. He did not get off the ship in any of the ports. His disability was a pulled ham string. (He tripped on a suitcase before leaving home in Dec. Missed that cruise completely. Ordered a shower seat for my aunt once. It was in the room when we got there and no charge.

Thanks once again for all the heartfelt encouragement. It has helped confirm my belief that we are making the right decision here. Particularly liked the reference to Cruise-therapy. :D

Dad and his oncologist have worked his Chemo around the cruise.

I'm just summarizing some of the suggestions here for my own organization:

• order shower stool (done)
  • rent wheelchair or scooter (going to make that decision a week before the cruise), at the very least we will bring a folding wheelchair
  • list of all medications and medical history for medical personnel
  • extra medication in case some or lost or the trip is extended
  • talk to oncologist re: seasickness medication

Do you think a letter from his oncologist clearing him for travel is necessary? We are not informing RCI about his health condition. We are driving over the Canadian border to get to NJ.

Dad is feeling really good at the moment. We have reserved the pre-cruise hotel for another night because he wants to take the Staten Island Ferry into NY on Saturday.

He is even talking about zip-lining with us in St. Kitts. I'm not sure if this is a great idea, I'm under the impression that you should avoid bumping and bruising while on Chemo. I'll get him to talk to the oncologist.

As bullish as he is feeling at the moment, a month ago he was spending the entire day in his recliner. So we'll see, even if he is sedentary it will be great for us to be together.

InsideCruiser

Years ago I took a dear friend to Disneyworld during the holidays. She had multiple myeloma and although she felt well enough on the trip, she soon slipped out of remission. She still watches the fireworks with me.....but now has a better view.

If you do not want to inform the cruiseline, be sure to take detailed medical information - just in case. Have your oncologist write a summary and include medications. My Mom was rushed to the hospital recently - she was not clear at all about her meds and history and there was confusion at the beginning. Now I have a 3-ring binder with all her reports, blood tests and medication history. Overkill? ......yea, maybe.....but I now have all the answers to doctor's questions.

Go - savor every second. You will make memories which will carry you through the tough times. I guarantee it will be so very special for all of you.

We took my MIL on a cruise several years ago (her only one). We took her folding wheel chair with us and stored it on the balcony while she was in the cabin. One of the foot pedals broke during the cruise and the pursers desk had a really nice guy from engineering come and get it and weld the pedal back on. Had it back the same day.

We were on Labadee and saw that they have wheel chairs that can be pushed in the sand. Didn't know this before we were on the island.

Please enjoy your cruise and make memories you will never forget. My MIL passed on Jan 4th this year. I am glad we have the memory of her on the cruise.

Archived