Airports?

spunks

BRU is probably the easiest, but MUN is also excellent.

I never understood why there are so many negative comments about FRA. That said, it is a VERY large and busy airport. The other two are considerably smaller which makes the transfer easier.

I've never flown through Brussels, but I find Munich more user friendly than Frankfurt because it is smaller. On the other hand, larger Frankfurt offers more choices. For example there are at least four daily non-stops from FRA to JFK and EWR, but only one, a UA/LH code share, from Munich.

OP only mentions three airports, but might consider Amsterdam, Zurich and Madrid if they offer viable connections to OP's final destination.

One of the biggest issues with Frankfurt is deplaning away from the terminal and bussing in. I have done this several times and it is a pain. The airport is huge and if you are switching airlines please leave at least two hours or more for your connection.

One of the biggest issues with Frankfurt is deplaning away from the terminal and bussing in. I have done this several times and it is a pain. The airport is huge and if you are switching airlines please leave at least two hours or more for your connection.

The majority of the planes in Frankfurt will be at aviobridges. It is absolutely NOT true that you will always have a busgate in FRA. This is exception and not the rule. It can happen to you in any European airport. I have already experienced it in most European airports: Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Munich, Rome, Hamburg, Venice, Innsbruck, London, Vienna, Budapest, etc. It has to do with the size of the planes, the smaller ones do not fit on aviobridges. And what if all gates are occupied? Would you rather sit in the airplane forever until a gate with aviobridge comes available?

I never understood why there are so many negative comments about FRA. That said, it is a VERY large and busy airport.

There is a very strong feeling among infrequent travelers that:

Large = Bad

However, they often fail to recognize that there is also

Large = Potentially greater flexibility and facilities

For those that subscribe to the first equation, little will change their mind....that is, until they have an irop situation where the "small" airport limits their options for recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I found this and thought someone could help me. We are stopping in Frankfurt for an hour and connecting flights. We arrive from Orlando with Lufthansa at 11:35am and leave,also with Lufthansa, to Venice at 12:40. Since we come from the US I'm sure we need to go through immigration, customs, etc and our tickets say we need to re-check the luggage at the counter...would 1 hr5mins be ok?

PS: I'd consider ourselves very experienced with airports and finding our way around them as we fly a lot both domestic and international

Hi I found this and thought someone could help me. We are stopping in Frankfurt for an hour and connecting flights. We arrive from Orlando with Lufthansa at 11:35am and leave,also with Lufthansa, to Venice at 12:40. Since we come from the US I'm sure we need to go through immigration, customs, etc and our tickets say we need to re-check the luggage at the counter...would 1 hr5mins be ok?

PS: I'd consider ourselves very experienced with airports and finding our way around them as we fly a lot both domestic and international

You will go through passport control (immigration) at FRA but not customs. You'll collect your bags and go through customs (but not immigration) at Venice.

If the airline sold you ticket with both segments included, then they've determined your transit time at FRA is "legal" (i.e. within the minimum connecting time window) so you ought to be okay.

I never had a problem with any other them--more familiar with MUC and FRA due to my Star alliance status. If you use FRA you neeed to allow 2 hrs for connections...I've found that even though some carriers say that one hr is ok it can be a little tight.

You will go through passport control (immigration) at FRA but not customs. You'll collect your bags and go through customs (but not immigration) at Venice.

If the airline sold you ticket with both segments included, then they've determined your transit time at FRA is "legal" (i.e. within the minimum connecting time window) so you ought to be okay.

Yes that's what we thought and even if we miss it since its the same airline they have to put us in another flight...which i checked and Lufthansa has 2 or 3 more that day to VCE...thanks!;)

Yes that's what we thought and even if we miss it since its the same airline they have to put us in another flight...which i checked and Lufthansa has 2 or 3 more that day to VCE...thanks!;)

And hopefully if it comes to that, there will be available seats on one of those later flights. ;)

Archived