Tivoli Gardens Copenhagen

tarter2

We will be spending one day in port in Copenhagen. Question, We are empty nesters who are starting to travel on our own.

We are thinking of Tivoli Gardens, but arent really into rides, and roller coasters. Is this worth our time, or should we look into other options?

We will be spending one day in port in Copenhagen. Question, We are empty nesters who are starting to travel on our own.

We are thinking of Tivoli Gardens, but arent really into rides, and roller coasters. Is this worth our time, or should we look into other options?

YES! Tivoli is super wonderful, even if you're not into roller coasters, rides. Why? It's the great combination of architecture/design, music, entertainment, food, gardens, people, sights, etc. You might do some scrolling back and/or using the "search" function on this travel board to see many, other earlier posts on this subject and others for Copenhagen, the Baltics, etc. Below are some of my pictures to illustrate what is so fun and interesting about Tivoli, especially in the evenings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 32,725 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Here is one of Tivoli’s most unique buildings “showing off” with its covering of spectacular lighting. Thomas Edison would be proud!

TivoliOrientNight.jpg

Lots of outdoor dining options in Tivoli:

1A-Copenh-TivDining.jpg

Another view of Tivoli with its rides, water and downtown Copenhagen buildings, City Hall Tower in the background:

1A-Tivoli-WaterBoats.jpg

Terry knows Tivoli gardens and has given you some great advice. BUT, Copenhagen has so much else to offer.

We also had one day in port in Copenhagen and we opted to do a wonderful walking tour of this fantastic city. We docked at Frihamnen, which is a hop, skip and a jump from the Little Mermaid, From there we walked to Nyhavn to do a canal boat tour. Then on to the the Palace for the Changing of the Guard ceremony. Then on to the Stroget, a pedestrian mall of wonderful stores and shops, which leads to City hall Square. This is where you can go to Tivoli, tour City Hall, or just sit around and relax a while. From here we walked to Rosenborg Castle, saw the Crown Jewels wandered in the marvelous Rose Gardens. As we started back to the ship, we stopped in a public park to just sit and have an ice cream. Since it was a Sunday, many families were out and we met some and chatted for a while. Then we sort of meandered back to the ship, just taking in the feel of the city.

We also, originally, thought about going to Tivoli, but decided against it, to explore more of the city in our short time there.

Here are a few more pix of Copenhagen and all it has to offer

The Little Mermaid,sitting on her rock, in Copenhagen harbor a MUST SEE in Copenhagen

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe212.jpg

Not far from here is the Marble Church which you can tour if you like

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe239.jpg

At Nyhavn, spend some time just wondering around this old time section of Copenhagen. Do the canal boat tour also.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster248.jpg

Do try and walk the Stroget, with many well know shops along with local favorites

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster285.jpg

Rosenborg Castle, try and spend some time wandering around the grounds and gardens

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe332.jpg

As we walked back to the ship, we came across some truly wonderful sites

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe353.jpg

Hope you have a great time in this wonderful city

Cheers

Len

We actually are skipping the Gardens on our stop principally because they open so late (11:00). We will be on "their" side of town in the morning but I am not going to back track. I am a little like the OP, I am unconvinced that it would be all that exciting for us. I know I could flip around my itinerary but I always like to go to the furthest point first and work my way back toward the ship.

Now we would go if we were in Copenhagen overnight.

Kirk

Now we would go if we were in Copenhagen overnight.

Kirk

Kirk, that certainly makes a lot of sense. Fortunately, our cruise departs from Copenhagen, so we will have three days there before sailaway. We plan to visit our second evening in town after I have caught up from my lack of sleep on my overnight flight my first night in Copenhagen!

With one port day, it really depends on your interests: museums, walking, shopping, etc. The Rick Steves' Scandinavian guidebook really can be very helpful in planning your time, with its excellent walking tours, sight tours and practical transportation information. Most local libraries stock his European travel guides.

The one must-do in my opinion is a canal boat ride, which truly provides a unique and helpful prospective on the city.

• 4 weeks later...

We walked to see the canal area, took a ride there, saw the Rosenborg, took the tour with Hans Christian Anderson (he is really Richard from New York but has been in Copenhagen for 20 years); ate lunch at a small local place recommended by Richard. The least favoriate time we spent was at Tivoli Gardens. Too crowded into small space, lots of rides we do not take; probably much prettier at night.

We visited Copenhagen and skipped Tivoli. There are too many other interesting things to do that are not glorified amusement parks.

Make sure you do a canal boat trip. You do not have to do a tour - the locals use the boats as water taxis and the round trip or actually 2 different round trips are very reasonable.

DON

I guess everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but if I only had one day in Copenhagen, I sure wouldn't spend it at Tivoli. Too much else to do that's more my cup of tea.

donaldsc: We visited Copenhagen and skipped Tivoli. There are too many other interesting things to do that are not glorified amusement parks. Make sure you do a canal boat trip. You do not have to do a tour - the locals use the boats as water taxis and the round trip or actually 2 different round trips are very reasonable.

The great news is that there are lots and lots of great options in Copenhagen. We enjoyed it "ALL"' date=' including at Tivoli, both during a Sunday afternoon visit and during another year at night. Tivoli has much more just rides, which are not of interest to us at our ages. The great variety of gardens, entertainment, dining, architecture, music, etc., makes this park much more than just an "amusement park".

Agree 100% that the canal boat ride and many other museums, outdoor art, etc., etc. make Copenhagen so special. It's very flat, easy to walk around, great buildings to see, etc. Here are a few more of my visual samples on those other charming and wonderful options there.

You can check out these tips on what we did to walk back from central Copenhagen to the main docking area where our ship was docked.

[b']Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!![/b]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 35,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Copenhagen's City Hall and Square:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “New” Harbor is actually old and charming with lots of outdoor dining options and nearby shopping:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia:

OldPalace.jpg

Copenhagen's new Opera House across the canal from a charming fountain:

1A-Copenhagen-OperaFountain.jpg

This is the Gefion Springvandet fountain we walked past on our afternoon stroll back to the ship. This is Copenhagen’s largest monument and was built in 1908. It is based on a Scandinavian mythical tale of the goddess Gefion who plowed the island of Zealand out of Sweden. It was donated by the Carlsberg Foundation on the occasion of the brewery’s 50-year anniversary.:

1A-Copenhagen-Fountain.jpg

One should keep in mind that northern Europe (including Copenhagen) is a very expensive region. Tivoli Gardens, for example has an admission price of $16 - $19 depending on the time of year (more on Friday nights). That just gets you inside the gates and you will still spend additional money. If you are planning to include places like this on your visit you might want to investigate buying a Copenhagen Card which includes lots of admissions to museums and public transportation.

Hank

Good point Hank, that fact is another reason we are not planning on going. I would feel the need to spend a few hours there to justify the entrance fee. O'well, just another reason to go back!

Kirk

• 2 months later...

We arrived in Copenhagen a few weeks ago (on a Sunday) from a TA cruise, to then do their Baltic cruise. We got off the ship as soon as we were allowed to do so. We'd not booked any cruise excursions because we wanted to go to Rosenborg castle. Not knowing where things were, or how much time we'd need, or if cabs would be available when we wanted one, we decided to use the HOHO bus that was available right at the pier. We nade sure it was the one that took us to the LITTLE MERMAID, Tivoli, and Rosenborg Castle. (ask to be sure the bus does the stops that you want before you board) It stopped for enough time to hop off and on again, to snap a few pictures, at the Little Mermaid, and it stopped for too long (like 20 minutes) at the entrance to Tivoli Garden (reason???). We did not care to go into the theme park due to time concerns as well as the cost. Then it dropped us off at Rosenborg Castle. At the Rosenborg location there are two other nearby places to see, the Botanical gardens, and the National Art Gallery (they are both very close by) however we did not have the time to do all three sites. The castle is small enough to get around easy, ( but requires being able to walk some stairs). This castle was not on any tours offered by the Cruise line, but is worth seeing - Beautiful rooms, many royal belongings are on display, as well as the crown jewels, and you can see a "changing of the guard" too. I used my VISA to pay admission and buy at the store there, (the hoho bus accepted our Euros too, so we did not have to get ANY Danish money) After seeing all of the castle ( we could have spent more time there seeing the grounds) , and shopping the store there, we walked out the way we'd entered, to where the bus left us off. We turned right and walked to the next corner. The National Art gallery (the name on the building is not in English) is the impressive looking building with a big staircase, across the street, and to your left. We spent a brief amount of time in the gallery, and did not go to the Botanical garden, due to time worry, as well as hunger. We went back to the bus stop on the castle street. ( As I recall the bus runs every half hour) The HOHO bus took us back to the mermaid, and there we had to wait for another bus to get to the pier area. FYI!!!! Make sure you tell the driver which ship you need to get to so that you get off at the proper pier. We got off at a pier, where we saw cruise ships and open "tourist stuff" shops. (all very high priced, but hey, it was Sunday, so shopping options were scrace) Anyway, we, and some other of our shipmates, realized we'd gotten off the bus at the wrong pier location, and saw no way to walk to our ship. We had to spend more time waiting for another HOHO pier shuttle bus, and then that got us to the right pier. If you are a fast walker, and can do long distances, you may be able to fit more into your Copenhagen hours then we felt up to doing. LOTS of walking needed on a Baltic ports cruise, so we tried to not over-do on day one. Have fun!

I was at Tivoli with my then 8 year old two years ago. It is an amusement park and it is walled off from the rest of the city. There is a pond with some foliage but overall it is just an amusement park. Yes, the twinkling lights are pretty at night but if you aren't into rides- its just a tourist trap and to me.

Archived