Clothing for Alaska cruise; Veendam comments

tonijackxmas

As a mature (senior) woman traveling on my first cruise, an Alaska cruise on the Veendam, I'm puzzled about what clothes to take. How dressy are the "big" nights and how many are there? What do I wear other evenings? What's the weather likely to be for the day on land or on board ship? I know that this should be the least of my concerns, but I don't want the beauty of the land and sea to be interfered with by my regretting not bringing something or the reverse. Also, has anyone gone on the Veendam on the cruise-tour? Any comments or advice?

Welcome to the world that is cruising. And welcome to the HAL board. You'll find lots of "friends" here who will gladly answer any questions you may have. Just be forewarned ... you will soon "get the bug" as most of us who participate in this forum have done, and will be planning your second cruise before you know it! ;)

As to clothing, click on this link for Holland America's advice on clothing and the different evening's dress codes. Alaska weather can do anything, anytime. Layering is the best way to approach it. Take pieces that will coordinate with each other to help keep packing as light as possible.

If your cruise portion is 7 days, there will likely be just one formal evening, one informal, and the rest casual. But that can change, so check your travel documents when they arrive.

Good luck, and enjoy your planning.

last year. At dinner I was seated with mostly other solo travelers, and it greatly enhanced my cruise. I am still in touch with one of my new friends I made on that trip. I did not do the cruise tour portion, only the cruise, but it will forever be a highlight in my life. Alaska MUST be experienced firsthand.

Enjoy! Btw, I love traveling solo. I cruised solo 3 times last year, as well as other times with my husband and sister.

Marie

We haven't been to Alaska yet but we done 2 transatlantics and been to Iceland and Greenland.

Rain gear is essential. If you don't have a light weight rain jacket there are many available that come contained it their own pouches. Check Lands' End on line or order a catalog. We had light weight parkas in the middle of summer, and wore them from NewFoundland to Norway. It gets really cold in those latitudes, and Alaska is on the same latitude.

Prepare for chilly temps after dark, even in some of the public rooms, and especially on the outside deck.

I take several sweat shirts and turtle necks too, but we were gone for 34 days.

If you have a veranda, you'll want to spend a lot of time out there watching the midnight sun. Where you're going the sun will set but it may be 11 or midnight before it's fully set.

HAL formal nights are very dressy with women wearing long dresses and men in tuxes. Casual nights are "country-club" casual, and some will still dress to the "nines". I feel out of place if I wear capris to dinner.

In port, many will wear jeans and that's appropriate for Alaska, or Europe, unless you're going to churches or cathedrals which is not common in Alaska.

HAL provides tote bags and they are big enough for a sweater, windbreaker, or rain gear.

Many were surprised in Greenland in July and bought out the ship's supply of sweats, as they had brought all short sleeve summer shirts and tops.

This is a big subject. If you have specific questions please ask.

GN

Boarding.jpg.bf850f7d0d71a5806ee565ea169a605b.jpg

You'll love Alaska. I've been there twice on HAL. What month are you traveling? I've been there in May and July. My first trip was a learning experience in terms of what to pack/not pack.

I agree with the previous posters who recommend layering. Also, bring water resistant (not necessarily waterproof) clothing. I found Alaska to range from cold, misty and damp (May) to downright wet (July). Land's End, LL Bean, and Eddie Baurer can be your friends as you assemble a wardrobe.

I recommend against jeans. If they get wet, they can be very uncomfortable and take a month of Sundays to dry out. I wore sport pants made of a blend of Coolmax and polyester. Also Coolmax socks and t-shirts and a Polartec jacket.

On my first cruise, pre 9/11, most passengers really dressed up for formal nights. On my second foray to Alaska in 2003, it was much less formal.

Have never done a crusietour so I can't help you there. If you have other questions, just post away and welcome to our HAL board.

Roz

Basic- layers are the key, lightweight lined jacket, knit hat, gloves, rain gear, 2 pair of walking shoes. I too never take jeans, and greatly prefer leggins and wind pants. Key is quick drying. I also always do laundry to cut down on bulk. :)

Alaska weather comes under the 'Who knows' category. You can have wet, damp, mild and sunny-warm all on the same trip. Adding in that you are also looking at a land portion, you've got the Alaskan Interior climate to factor in too. As Budget Queen wisely suggested (trust us, she KNOWS Alaska), layers are the way to go. We also take silk long underwear. They take up NO space in a suitcase and can be worn under almost all clothing. Mine are black and can even be worn under my formal wear if needed. DH bought his at REI and mine came from a 'fluffy' ladies catalog.

Unlike grannynurse's experience on an Atlantic crossing, we've found on our 4 Alaskan cruises that they aren't as formal. A one-week cruise is less formal than longer cruises. And European cruises are also more formal than Alaskan. Maybe half the men in tuxes (DH likes to rent through the cruiseline - delivered to/left in the cabin and less to pack) and the others in dark suits. I notice fewer ladies in gowns than on our longer cruises. I wear a very dressy chiffon pants outfits that pack WONDERFULLY. We've always had 2 formal nights on our Alaskan cruises. I wear the same pair of black chiffon pants with different 'sparkley' tops or dusters for the 2 nights. On our last 10-night Caribbean cruise it looked like a sequin factory exploded with all the ladies in their gowns. Haven't seen that on any of our Alaskan cruises.

On our two cruises to Alaska we've found the weather in ports to be similar to Seattle or San Francisco, even warmer than those in July. Rain is a bigger problem than cold, so be sure to have a waterproof jacket, hat, backpack, etc.

I took my first ever cruise last August, 7 nights in Alaska on HAL. The weather was unseasonably warm and sunny, in the 80's midday. But mornings and evenings we had to layer up and wear gloves and hats to go outside for the scenic cruising (Glacier Bay, Tracey Arm, etc). The formal nights (two) were a mixture of long gowns and cocktail dresses, tuxes and jackets. Like others here, I brought two items of each "layer", and did laundry once or twice on board. For dinners, I invested in coordinates, so I could make a variety of outfits from a few inexpensive pieces.

We had an absolutely incredible, unforgettable time. I posted my diary of the trip on this board last year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=71145&highlight=Volendam+8%2F11

Here are the pictures on our website that go with it: http://friishill.tripod.com/id111.htm

I hope your cruise is as enchanting as ours was.

We've been to Alaska in June, August & September. We have had rain, sunny really warm days, and some really cold days at sea. So, layered is the way to go plus I take long underwear, warm boots, and now I wear earmuffs I bought in Juneau! It's a great trip but if you tend to be cold like I do, then prepare just in case! Have a wonderful cruise.

Archived