Behind the Scenes Tour???

KentuckyKat

Did I see someome mention some type of behind-the-scenes tour of the ship that can be booked like a shore excursion? If so, what is it like? And what ships offer this? We will be on the Fantasy. I could not find anything about it on Carnival's site, but I think my DH would like this!

Most of the ships offer this tour. It differs in price from ship to ship, depending I believe on the length of the cruise. We took this tour on the Destiny 4 day cruise last Dec for $50 pp, but it may have gone up. It was a super tour...go all over the ship where pax are not normally allowed....like behind the theatre into wardrobe rooms and behind stage...into the galley, the crew quarters/dining room, rec room......into the control/computer room which was amazing, down below deck 0 to the laundry rooms, garbage rooms, food and wine storage areas....really incredible and I would highly recommend this tour at least once in your cruising life.

Did it on the Pride I think it was around $75, but well worth it. You get some nice momentos, I won't spoil it. You even get to go into the engine control room, with security...normally no ones gets to go there. I was fascinated about the recycling program. Both you and hubby would love it, Lydia of Ohio

We did the Behind the Fun Tour on our Oct Splendor Cruise. It is so great and informative. I believe it was $90.00 but well worth it. You get some nice goodies, go on the bridge, crew quarters in addition to the engine room. Things to keep in mind it is is a lot of walking up & down stairs and you only get one break. When you get on board the ship go to the Tour Excursion Desk and book it, because they only have enough spots for 16 ppl.

Hope this helps.

We did this on Freedom, and it was a great tour! It was $95pp, but I believe it is cheaper on the Fantasy-class ships. Very worth it, we really like the bridge and engine control room. We also toured the galley, laundry areas, crew dining areas and galley, went by the morgue/brig, the steakhouse, the front deck where the ship bell is, backstage in the theater and dressing room. Lots of walking!

Took the tour on the Legend in November. Very interesting and informative. I recommend it for those really interested in how the ship operates. We visited behind the stage, MDR galley, recycling area, food storage area, laundry facilities, crew dining area and training room, engine control room and bridge. I was fascinated with being on the bridge and having a one on one with the captain.

You receive a baseball cap, day pack, lanyard, goodies in your cabin and 3 8x10 photos.

Excursion lasted about 4 hrs.

Nice experience. Do it at least once. You won't be disappointed. :)

I did it on the Dream and it was $95 and a full 4 hours - there are rules - no open toed shoes, no cameras, no cell phone and there is an age restriction and I think it is 13. They do check and you are wanded and patted down before you go. We got a carved soap, a plate of chocolate strawberries, lanyard, hat, backpack, bracelet, 1 group photo on the bridge with the Captain and another picture of the group out on the deck and the all important recipe for chocolate melting cake which carries 1000+ calories per serving.

On the smaller ship last month (Inspiration) - it was $55 per person, a bit shorter but went to the same areas - we got a hat, lanyard and a plate of chocolate strawberries, and one group picture with the Captain.

We did the tour on the Fascination last year. It was a lot of fun. As far as being able to sit down, we got a break about halfway through the tour - we went in the crew training room and sat for a few minutes, asked the tour guide some questions, gave us a chance to rest. I was glad for it. Just don't forget - no sandales shoes or cameras. You are respectfully searched.

It's said there is a lot of walking on the tour. I'm okay with that as long as I can sit down periodically. Are there places to sit along the way?

If I remember correctly, we took a small sit down break, but for the most part you were on your feet and moving the whole time.

Thanks so much for the information. This sounds like something we would really like to do!! I assume it is on sea days? So, do you think it is available on the Fantasy even though I can't find any reference to it on the CCL website?

It will be offered on your last sea day. Sign up for it at the shore excursion desk when you board. Enjoy! :)

If I remember correctly, we took a small sit down break, but for the most part you were on your feet and moving the whole time.

You're on your feet and moving, but not that fast... I have moderate COPD and was able to keep up, even with the inclined ladders (stairs) down to the engine room and laundry. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

It's said there is a lot of walking on the tour. I'm okay with that as long as I can sit down periodically. Are there places to sit along the way?

It took about 2 1/2 hours on Inspiration. Only very few places to sit down like in the crew classroom. No bathroom break. Steep stairs. Well worth it!

My DH and I just returned from the Fantasy last Friday. We did the Behind the Fun Tour on the last sea day. Just sign up at the Shore Excursion Desk shortly after you arrive. The cost is $55.00 per person. They will deliver the tickets to your cabin. I think that there were two groups the day we went. There were 14 in our group and we met in the Piano Lounge at 10:00. They do check to see if you have cameras or cell phones. There were actually 3 cameras taken the day we went and returned when we got back. The tour started at 10:15 and was over at 12:45. There was no bathroom break but a short rest in the crew training room. There are some steep stairs but there are handrails so if you take your time it will be no problem.

We went to all the places mentioned in previous posts. Our favorite places were getting to go on the very front deck where the bell is that you can see and never get to go; the engine control room; and, of course, on the bridge and meeting the captain. We also got to see the crews’ dining rooms and their bar area. We didn’t get to see one of their cabins as they were all full. The chef met us in the galley and took us on the tour there and answered questions. When we went to the main lounge we met the dance manager and the stage manager who also showed us around and answered questions.

When it was over we were each given a cap and a lanyard. Waiting in our room was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, two cupcakes, and some cookies. Later we received a group picture taken with the captain.

We both enjoyed this very much as it was both entertaining and informative. It was well worth the $55.00.

My DH and I just returned from the Fantasy last Friday. We did the Behind the Fun Tour on the last sea day. Just sign up at the Shore Excursion Desk shortly after you arrive. The cost is $55.00 per person. They will deliver the tickets to your cabin. I think that there were two groups the day we went. There were 14 in our group and we met in the Piano Lounge at 10:00. They do check to see if you have cameras or cell phones. There were actually 3 cameras taken the day we went and returned when we got back. The tour started at 10:15 and was over at 12:45. There was no bathroom break but a short rest in the crew training room. There are some steep stairs but there are handrails so if you take your time it will be no problem.

We went to all the places mentioned in previous posts. Our favorite places were getting to go on the very front deck where the bell is that you can see and never get to go; the engine control room; and' date=' of course, on the bridge and meeting the captain. We also got to see the crews’ dining rooms and their bar area. We didn’t get to see one of their cabins as they were all full. The chef met us in the galley and took us on the tour there and answered questions. When we went to the main lounge we met the dance manager and the stage manager who also showed us around and answered questions. [/size']

When it was over we were each given a cap and a lanyard. Waiting in our room was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, two cupcakes, and some cookies. Later we received a group picture taken with the captain.

We both enjoyed this very much as it was both entertaining and informative. It was well worth the $55.00.

We were allowed to use the restroom in the crew lounge/bar area. If you have to go, just ask.

Loved it when we did it on the Fascination in December. Was only $55 per person and I think it was worth it =) However, they only take a certain number of people (I think 16, but not positive) so try and book it as as soon as you get on board! We went on 3 cruises last year and the behind the scenes tour was sold out on both of our first 2 cruises by the time we got to the excursions desk. We got it on the 3rd cruise, though!

We were able to sit down about half way through for about 10 minutes. She gave us a restroom break as well.

Hope you have a blast!!! =)

Can anyone confirm the age requirement for the kids on this tour? Our youngest will be 12, but only a couple months shy of 13 at sailing.

Guests must be 8 years old or older to participate; anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. (This is from Carnival's website)

I just did the tour last week and the minimum age is 10. Just a word of warning though we had the full 4 hours in which my child would have been bored. I really enjoyed the tour and found it well worth the $95.00 I paid and would gladly take it again on my September cruise on the Spirit since it is a different class ship than I took it on.

• 4 weeks later...
can anyone tell me on average what time the Behind The Scenes Tour started? at least the time your tour started?

Looking at Liberty Eastern- and based on comments it will be last day at sea -- thanks

When we did this tour on the Splendor it was on the last sea day and I believe it was at 9:00 or 10:00 in the a.m. I remember thinking man I am hungover this is way to early! Hope that helps!

Archived