taking foreign currency with you

kate59

This is our first really big cruise and we are doing several countries - India, Malaysia and South Africa included - just wondering if worthwhile getting a few $ of each currency before we leave home, instead of having to get money from ATMs overseas if we want to purchase things at markets or even to just get a drink??

Any suggestions on best way to go?

Our last cruise around the pacific we were able to use Australian $ in some ports so didn't bother.

Thanks Paul

Hi Kate, are you doing the Sun Princess cruise in May? Friends are doing this and it sounds a fabulous itinerary.

My suggestion is to get yourself a 28 Degrees credit card. This was formerly Wizard. You can apply on-line. Just do a search. We use this as a debit card while we are away. Deposit some money into it and the great things about this card is:

no annual fee

no ATM fees (you can withdraw any balance at Westpac on your return)

No foreign currency conversion

It means with this card if you just want to withdraw, say the equivalent of $20 for a drink or whatever, you can. With a normal debit/credit card you would be charged about $5 for ATM fees plus foreign currency charges, making is so not worth it.

Check it out.

Beryl

Hi Kate, We've found that ATM's are the best bet. All you need is a four digit pin to use your debit card almost anywhere. You'll get the best exchange rate and ATM's are ubiquitous in most countries. We also always carry a list exchange rates for various values for the countries we'll be visiting. It's reassuring when you have to withdraw 600 of some curreny to get a hundred of your own currency!

Cheers,

Rod

thanks all

Probably don't want to go down the track of getting another debit card especially as we are retired. I have a list of all the foreign currencies we need and their current exchange rates with Australian $ equivalents. We have some Singapore $ and some Thai Bahts from a previous trip so just thought it may be worth buying some more of the other currencies before we leave Aust - especially with our high $ value at present.

Yes Kobecat we are doing the Sun Princess Cruise in May - still hard to believe we are doing this when we only did our first cruise last year. We normally spend our free time 4wding around Australia - the more deserted the better and here we are going cruising with more than 2000 people for 46 nights - sure will be interesting.

I think to be safe get a few $$$ or whatever currency you need for each port Calculate what a cab or excursion could cost you in local currency but not too much ...you do not want too much leftover you will not use or be able to reconvert.

ATMS are fine but they do charge for even small transactions Mine charged me 5$ for getting $$$ in Iceland ..that is Krona

I bring different currencies just to tide me over JUST in case banks are not open or ATMS do not work ...has happened ...etc etc

Bon Voyage

Michele

thanks all

Probably don't want to go down the track of getting another debit card especially as we are retired. I have a list of all the foreign currencies we need and their current exchange rates with Australian $ equivalents. We have some Singapore $ and some Thai Bahts from a previous trip so just thought it may be worth buying some more of the other currencies before we leave Aust - especially with our high $ value at present.

Yes Kobecat we are doing the Sun Princess Cruise in May - still hard to believe we are doing this when we only did our first cruise last year. We normally spend our free time 4wding around Australia - the more deserted the better and here we are going cruising with more than 2000 people for 46 nights - sure will be interesting.

I understand about not wanting to get another card, but the 28Degrees is a credit card, not debit. Simple to apply on line, use it when you want overseas (as a debit card) then clear the balance, and lock it in the safe between trips. Sure beats paying commission to buy foreign currency through Travelex (rip off) or $5 ATM fees overseas to get out $30. Another rip off.

Beryl

Have fun on your trip - our friends Vic and Stella from WA will be with you. Wish we were.

This is our first really big cruise and we are doing several countries - India, Malaysia and South Africa included - just wondering if worthwhile getting a few $ of each currency before we leave home, instead of having to get money from ATMs overseas if we want to purchase things at markets or even to just get a drink??

Any suggestions on best way to go?

Our last cruise around the pacific we were able to use Australian $ in some ports so didn't bother.

Hi I got our currency from Travelex (you had to order some of the currencies 2 days before) when I got the Indian Visa last week

I got Mauritian Rand Indian Thai and US dollars all at a good rate so we can pay for the organised tours in their currency as quoted.:eek:

Archived