Star's ports O Call for Mexcio have been altered

DuaneO

Last time we were on the Star in PV we had a short tender, but some ships were berthed. The time before that we berthed. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell how it will be on a specific cruise, or do they not really know until just before, depending on variables?

I ask because Mom (91) can't really tender easily, so this would mean no ports for her at all if PV is a tender. BTW, she is fine with that, just trying to get info!

We are on the Star in March. I was nosing around yesterday and I saw--somewhere--that it is a tender into PV. I was surprised, because on previous cruises we docked there. Sorry, I can't remember where I read it!

We are on the Star in March. I was nosing around yesterday and I saw--somewhere--that it is a tender into PV. I was surprised, because on previous cruises we docked there. Sorry, I can't remember where I read it!

Normally that's not the case, but I suppose it's possible now because the docs have been under construction. I was there in January aboard RCI's Mariner, and only one slip large enough for a cruise ship was active. The rest of the port was shredded.

Cabo is always a tender port.

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked my edocs and they say anchor for PV. But, strangely they say anchor for the first day at Cabo but DOCK for the second day. I don't think you can dock in Cabo...probably a typo.

Oh well, I have always wanted to do an all ship all the time cruise!

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked my edocs and they say anchor for PV. But, strangely they say anchor for the first day at Cabo but DOCK for the second day. I don't think you can dock in Cabo...probably a typo.

Oh well, I have always wanted to do an all ship all the time cruise!

I noticed that as well. I think all they actually did was change the Name of the port from Maz to Cabo, and didnt change anything else on the iten.

You couldn't pay me to cruise/travel to Mexico anymore. That country is out of control and no one has been successful in controlling the problem. Kidnappings are rampant. Believe me Mbisson, they ARE doing it for your safety.

You couldn't pay me to cruise/travel to Mexico anymore. That country is out of control and no one has been successful in controlling the problem. Kidnappings are rampant. Believe me Mbisson, they ARE doing it for your safety.

I'll agree it's for safety-but I'm not so willing to give up on the whole country yet. I still expect to have an outstanding time

But something has got to give down there :eek:

You could pay ME to go to Mexico! :eek: If things were that bad, I just wouldn't leave the ship....but I would make sure I had a balcony!! lol :D

We just got off the Star and were IN the shooting gallery that was the Golden Zone. We were meeting our driver at the Hotel Las Floras (where the shootout occurred) and were next door and about to turn the corner into the hotel parking area when the first shots went off and we ducked for cover with all the locals.

Never again will I step foot in Mazatlan. I'm still ticked at NCL for taking us to an unstable port and then not responding in any way to our concerns about Mazatlan both pre-cruise and on the cruise itself.

We immediately reported being in the shooting zone and hiding in the shops next door with a security guard whose gun was drawn to Hotel Director Jean Michel and I asked for a written statement from both him and NCL regarding the incident which literally scared the hell out of us. We received nothing more than a generic letter stating thank you for your comments.

It was a scary situation, and the 5 kids with us aging from 9-17 were quite shaken, as were we. NCL REALLY dropped the ball on this one.

Never again will I step foot in Mazatlan. I'm still ticked at NCL for taking us to an unstable port and then not responding in any way to our concerns about Mazatlan both pre-cruise and on the cruise itself.

It was a scary situation, and the 5 kids with us

That is very scary!!! I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you had concerns before and during the cruise, why did you get off the ship?

Being so close to the shooting had to have been a very intense experience. I am very glad the you and your family are all OK!

That is very scary!!! I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you had concerns before and during the cruise, why did you get off the ship?

Being so close to the shooting had to have been a very intense experience. I am very glad the you and your family are all OK!

NCL repeatedly told us the port was safe and the previous incidents were overblown. Well, I now KNOW they were 100% wrong. We were with a group of 12, including someone fluent in Spanish in our party. We hired a private guide and stuck to the so called safe areas, ending our half day tour in the Golden Zone, which was all good until the first of 3 rounds of AK47 gunfire went off around us, . There had to be 40 plus shots fired. The streets emptied of the locals first (including police and security guards), and then the shocked tourists as everyone ducked for cover. We hid in a small storefront next to Royal Jewelers that had glass windows and nothing to hide behind, the shop owner disappeared and left his/her shop vacant. A security guard was in the doorway with us, also ducking for cover with his gun drawn.

My father, his wife, and her sister were ducking for cover in on the floor of a trolley parked in front of the shooting area.

I think we were all in shock at what we had dismissed is as being "overblown" (and repeatedly reinforced by NCL as being safe)... was truly happening around us. It was a crazy, insane scene.

Ducking for cover from AK47 gunfire while on vacation was NOT a fun experience. Jean Michel basically blowing us off just added to our frustrations. Pretty disappointed in NCL's response to those of us that were on the scene.

We just got off the Star and were IN the shooting gallery that was the Golden Zone. We were meeting our driver at the Hotel Las Floras (where the shootout occurred) and were next door and about to turn the corner into the hotel parking area when the first shots went off and we ducked for cover with all the locals.

We immediately reported being in the shooting zone and hiding in the shops next door with a security guard whose gun was drawn to Hotel Director Jean Michel and I asked for a written statement from both him and NCL regarding the incident which literally scared the hell out of us. We received nothing more than a generic letter stating thank you for your comments.

It was a scary situation, and the 5 kids with us aging from 9-17 were quite shaken, as were we. NCL REALLY dropped the ball on this one.

Were you on an NCL sponsored excursion ?

It appears that NCL did respond to your concerns by cancelling Mazatlan stops for the remainder of the season. That says more than a letter from them would say.

Were you on an NCL sponsored excursion ?

It appears that NCL did respond to your concerns by cancelling Mazatlan stops for the remainder of the season. That says more than a letter from them would say.

My father and 2 others were on an NCL sponsered Trolley Tour. The rest of us were on independent tours. Truthfully, I don't see why it makes a difference. My father was in the same danger zone we were. NCL repeatedly told us Mazatlan was safe and not to worry. Well they were wrong. They should have skipped the port.

13 of us (8 adults and 5 children) were the first to report the incident to Jean Michel, along with another couple who were seperated from their young child who was taken into cover by another passenger during the incident. The child was pretty shaken up, as were our kids who wanted to skip going ashore in Peurto Vallarta because of the incident.

Their onboard "response" from Jean Michel was pitiful. Jean Michel's response was "crime happens everywhere". Well maybe so, but not with AK47's in tourist areas. And not multiple times in 1 month. Other lines like Disney withdrew from Mazatlan after the Canadian tourist was caught in crossfire from another cartel shooting. This wasn't your typical everyday crime, it was a Cartel attack on another cartel for selling cocaine in their territory (or so we were told by the locals).

My father and 2 others were on an NCL sponsered Trolley Tour. The rest of us were on independent tours. Truthfully, I don't see why it makes a difference. My father was in the same danger zone we were. NCL repeatedly told us Mazatlan was safe and not to worry. Well they were wrong. They should have skipped the port.

13 of us (8 adults and 5 children) were the first to report the incident to Jean Michel, along with another couple who were seperated from their young child who was taken into cover by another passenger during the incident. The child was pretty shaken up, as were our kids who wanted to skip going ashore in Peurto Vallarta because of the incident.

Their onboard "response" from Jean Michel was pitiful. Jean Michel's response was "crime happens everywhere". Well maybe so, but not with AK47's in tourist areas. And not multiple times in 1 month. Other lines like Disney withdrew from Mazatlan after the Canadian tourist was caught in crossfire from another cartel shooting. This wasn't your typical everyday crime, it was a Cartel attack on another cartel for selling cocaine in their territory (or so we were told by the locals).

My question about the tour was prompted by your request for a letter from NCL and Jean-Michel. He is the Hotel Director. If the tour was booked through NCL, shouldn't the problem be addressed through the tour desk by those who booked through NCL?

If your tour was independent, I can't see why NCL would bear any responsibility for anything that happened during the tour. That is akin to blaming a taxi driver for taking you to a bar where a fight occurs.

I believe this is the first incident of violent crime involving cruise passengers in Mazatlan. Of course, it is serious and scary, but to blame NCL for the problem between drug cartels is something I don't agree with.

I agree with swedish weave. you stop in any North American city, and you will find crime. The cruise lines cannot predict what and where violence will happen. You don't think that Vancouver doesn't have a problem with gangs? I guess Alaska won't be on your itinerary either.

I agree with swedish weave. you stop in any North American city, and you will find crime. The cruise lines cannot predict what and where violence will happen. You don't think that Vancouver doesn't have a problem with gangs? I guess Alaska won't be on your itinerary either.

Just re-read my post..:eek:....and I apologize....I didn't want it to seem that harsh...and yes....thank goodness you are safe and sound....but to blame the cruise line....I just don't agree! :p

I guess Alaska won't be on your itinerary either.

I agree. Forget the Crips & the Bloods.

When it's Moose vs. Bear, with an occasional sniper-shot from a mama grizzly in a helicopter.... Alaska can be downright dangerous! ;)

I read a post on the Ports of Call board friom Mazatlan Frank that said the local newspaper reported that the NCL Star will arrive there next Tuesday after all. The meeting in Miami must have changed NCL's decision to cancel. Anybody hear anything ???

That seems a little far fetched to me. I guess we will know by tuesday!

Two years ago, when we sailed the STAR on the MR in the Spring, we find it a bit uneasy when we tendered ashore in our 1st. stop in Carbo that the Mexican Army with M16's were patrolling knowing that crime further "in-land" were on the rise. We chose local tour guide in Mazatian and took us to amazing places, and when asked about rising violence & impact on tourism, we're assured that these popular cruise ports were at minimal risk - we saw a heavyily armed police & army presence again, ditto the same for PV with the non-NCL young tour guide who spoke fluent English & driver of the mini-bus "don't worry, stay close together & you will be fine, we know our town best ...." :D

It's unfortunate that pretty soon, if not already, that the cliff divers and the dancers spinning up on the pole at the Mazatian beach won't have any tourists to perform in front of, which they count on as the vacancy signs go up in the Golden zone.

I can only imagine a very heavy military and police presence at these ports and on the streets, which must be a lot quieter - since many "foreigners" fly into these towns for their getaway vacations. :cool:

If we're on the sailing, we would just use our common sense & take precaution, and growing up in NY - we're seen our share of violence & shootings (on a smaller scale) - when you hearing popping sound, hit the deck (floor) duck & keep your heads low and don't even peak or stick your head up. If the neighborhood being visited doesn't look, feel, sound & smell right or "kosher" to us, it's time to make a safe but very quick exit, and duck & dash back :rolleyes: onto the ship's protective steel hulls (and stay clear of the balcony windows, LOL - just in case of stray bullets that can travel thousand of feets & hit unintended targets .... :eek:

As for Vancouver's downtown, has anyone been to the old Chinatown lately - I feel and perceive it to be just as safe as being in certain neighborhoods in downtown L.A. during the daylight hours.

If NCL cancel all the ports & anchored in the Mexico harbour waters without letting anyone off the tendor after it left LA port, can we assume that no pax would scream "refunds and/or credits " about a cruise-to-nowhere for 7 days?

We have done the Mexican Riviera multiple times, and I got off in Mazatlan once, and haven't since. We use that day as our pool day on the boat. It's really awful that the people on our cruise were in the middle of the shoot out. I would have been scared out of my mind too and not very happy about being there.

That being said, anywhere you go can have crime. You could have been in the middle of one in San Pedro, or LA. Believe me it happens more times than people ever hear about, I work for the Fire Department and we send responses out for them all the time.

These cruises go to a lot of poor / 3rd world countries, and the cruise lines can not control what goes on there. I think if you are concerned about your safety at a certain port, you shouldn't get off there. Just my honest opinion.

Preds, I'm not really sure why you are blasting Jean-Michel tho... He is the Hotel Director and in charge of the hotels guest services, not in charge of our itineraries. I think if you had any complaints about a port, that would be something to bring up to the Captain or a Staff Officer, and then once off the ship I would contact NCL directly.

It was this past Tuesday, 2/22. I was also on the Star and after reading and considering the options of things to see there and all I heard, I elected to have me and my family stay onboard. The kids went to the kids' club and we had Port-priced massages :). We heard about the shooting from others onboard and I have to say after reading this now, the reality is worse than the rumor was.

Archived