Hiding and Iron in Luggage

kgirlcruise

14 minutes ago, ImANewfie said:

can you advise why we cannot continue to discuss this.  The post may be 8 years old, but years years ago, or 6 or 3 ... many people may not have been cruising OR part of cruise critic...  while the post may be 8 years old,  new replies generate new replies, which makes the post new again?  with new input from new members?  sorry i miss your point

One reason to lock old threads is that things change, and an old thread might state things that are no longer "true" - changes in cruise line policies, or laws, or whatever.  A casual reader looking at what appears to be a recent thread might not look at the posting date of an older post where something is stated that was true then but is no longer true, and will be misled.

For example, someone might read an old thread about the Past Guest parties held on board where Gold VIFP members were invited, and they might not realize that perk went away a while ago.  For example, this thread linked below might be misleading - although it is locked, perhaps because of this very issue:

In this particular case on the topic of packing an iron, probably not so confusing, because the basic rules are very unlikely to change.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

On 3/5/2011 at 5:08 PM, kgirlcruise said:

Does anybody have any good tips on where I can hide a travel iron in my luggage for the cruise??? We've always traveled with an iron in our luggage and have never in the past had any problems with taking the iron onboard. Our last cruise, they took away the iron and left it at the port for us to pick up on our way out/home. Can I wrap it good in something? pack it in the middle of some stuff good enough to hide it?!?!

They are not allowed, as they are on the list of forbidden items that are a fire risk. Why would you try to break the rules? Please leave it home, and use the iron available, if any, in laundry area. I bring Downey Wrinkle Release Spray, and I roll my clothes. In all the cruises I’ve done, I’ve never needed to iron clothes. 

On 3/5/2011 at 5:32 PM, GlendaleCruiser said:

I hope this is a prank.

With the danger of fire on cruise ships so high I cannot believe that anyone would really bring one to use in their room when there are laundry rooms available in several places on the ship to iron to your heart's content. I can only imagine how well the clothes are ironed using the vanity or bed as an ironing board.

How thoughtless.

If this isn't a prank, I hope you get caught and sent to the naughty room.

I was thinking it could be a fake post started to see how many people it could rile up. I can’t believe anyone would be so stupid to think they could smuggle an iron onboard. 

On 3/5/2011 at 5:40 PM, megmno said:

Who the heck would want to iron on vacation, anyway?

I don't even iron at home, just take the stuff out of the dryer while it's warm and use Downy wrinkle relaxer..

Ironing is a total waste of time (that I'd rather spend online reading about cruising 😄 )

You think like me! I don’t even iron at home, why would I iron on a vacation? 🤣 My kids laugh because I own the same iron I received as a wedding gift in 1970, because I NEVER USE IT! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

On 3/29/2011 at 7:31 PM, Tbay-eh said:

why are you feeding this thread - they asked a well known question and have since disappeared - just stirring the pot

I get the feeling that was the point of the OP. To stir the point. I can’t believe anyone would be stupid enough to try and smuggle an iron onboard.

23 minutes ago, wytygr8 said:

Does it? I took some on my last cruise, and it did nothing.

I spread my garment on the  bed.  I then spray it and "iron" it with my hands.  I then pick it up and shake it to let it dry a bit.  If all the wrinkles didn't come out, I then repeat.  I get really good results.  Is it like ironing?  No, but good enough.  Also, if you can use your flat iron to get stubborn wrinkles out of collars and cuffs.

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

They are not allowed, as they are on the list of forbidden items that are a fire risk. Why would you try to break the rules? Please leave it home, and use the iron available, if any, in laundry area. I bring Downey Wrinkle Release Spray, and I roll my clothes. In all the cruises I’ve done, I’ve never needed to iron clothes. 

Why are you commenting on a post from 8 years ago???? How did you even find it?! Come on...get real.