Half Moon Cay and Two Ships

SmokinActuary

we were there 2 weeks ago on the Zuiderdam and the Eurodam was there as well. It was fine-- we walked along the nature trail and didn't see a soul. While we did have to wait in line for about 5 mins or so for the buffet we had no trouble finding a nice quiet table in the pavilions- just a matter of going to a further away one. The beach further down was also not at all crowded.

The slowest thing was actually the tender line to go back to the ship-- probably waited for almost 30 minutes, but that had nothing to do with having two ships there.

When we are scheduled to go our ship arrives at 8AM and the Carnival ship arrives at 9AM.

Wherever you picked up that schedule was wrong. HAL and Carnival never have ships there on the same day. (Or at least they haven't for many years, despite what cruisett.com often says!) Two HAL ships, yes. We have been there with two HAL Vistas, and it wasn't terrible.

Too late to edit my last post. cruisetimetables.com shows that the N.A. and the Carnival Glory will both be there on Nov 21. IF that's correct, I would get off early in the morning long enough to check out the Pirate Bar for myself and take a few pictures from the upper level, and then head back to the ship for my lunch reservation at the Tamarind! :D

4,000 from two HAL ships is tolerable to me ... 5,800 would be something else!

Wherever you picked up that schedule was wrong. HAL and Carnival never have ships there on the same day. (Or at least they haven't for many years, despite what cruisett.com often says!) Two HAL ships, yes. We have been there with two HAL Vistas, and it wasn't terrible.

CruiseTT.com shows both the Nieuw amsterdam and the Carnival Glory in HMC on 11/21. The HAL and Carnival websites also shows that they will be there on the same day. Strange.

wow -- i am really surprised to see that a hal ship and a carnival ship both will be at hmc at the same time

i do remember a few years ago both cruise lines were scheduled to be there on the same day and carnival changed their itinerary

and we were all assured that this wouls never happen

since the cruise date is so far out -- maybe one of the ships will change their itinerary

wow -- i am really surprised to see that a hal ship and a carnival ship both will be at hmc at the same time

i do remember a few years ago both cruise lines were scheduled to be there on the same day and carnival changed their itinerary

and we were all assured that this wouls never happen

since the cruise date is so far out -- maybe one of the ships will change their itinerary

It will be really interesting to see - that will be a lot of people :eek: I hate to make generalizations but I wonder if the pirate bar will be louder if there is a Carnival ship there :confused:

Two ships in port yesterday and there was plenty of room and plenty of food to go around.
Noordam plus Westerdam totaling just over 3800 is a lot different than Nieuw A plus Glory totaling over 5800.

If there were going to be 5800 people (and I did say IF), I can guarantee we would probably stay on the ship and treat it like our own private yacht :) as long as everyone else didn't get the same idea :D

For kicks and giggles I called HAL headquarters in Seattle and spoke to customer service representative about Carnival and HAL using Half-Moon Cay at the same time. At first she said "only Holland America Ships use Half Moon Cay, the other cruise companies have their own islands". I reminded her that Carnival and HAL are both owned by the same corporate parent and Carnival indeed uses Half Moon Cay. At first she disagreed but I told her she was mistaken. She put me on hold and returned to tell me that there would be enough staff on the island to handle the large amount of people, that they have done it before.

Now I have looked at the most that is usually at the island are two Vista/Signature class ships, but the NA/GLory beats that by over 1,000 passengers. Ah well.:o

At first I was thinking of this as only an inconvenience but after I thought about it more it may be hazardous.

That Monday the ships are visiting the island is Thanksgiving week. Can that Island really handle 1,000 or more kids! The play facilities near the tender are going to be a zoo to say the least.

Monday I am going to call Carnival Corporation and see what they have to say about this.

As jtl mentioned, that's seems unlikely. HAL and Carnival ships don't call at the same time. It's pretty likely you will be the only ship there, or another HAL ship. That's still somewhat crowded, but tolerable.

We were at HMC 2 years ago with both the Eurodam and the Zuiderdam.

It was tolerable ... not quite as nice as when only one ship is there.

We tend to head to the far end of the beach .. just beyond the last cabana and with 2 larger ships there were only few lounge chairs available by 11 am.

Can't imagine what it would be like with 1800 more people. :eek:

I'll have to look more carefully when choosing any future cruises, because we consider HMC ... a nice relaxing day at the beach.

I'm not sure 5800 people would be very relaxing.

When we were at HMC on the Maasdam at the very end of January, the Noordam was also there with a Jazz Cruise. Day of the Pirate ship inaugural. It was perfectly fine.
Noordam + Maasdam = 3176 passengers

Nieuw Amsterdam + Glory = 5804 passengers

That's 82% more people.

I'll have to look more carefully when choosing any future cruises, because we consider HMC ... a nice relaxing day at the beach.

I looked at cruisett.com for other HAL/Carnival combos at HMC and found these:

2/5/12 and 4/15/12 - Liberty and Maasdam

2/20/12 - Fascination and Westerdam

If the schedule for 11/21/11 holds, these are three more cruises that you may want to avoid.

At first I was thinking of this as only an inconvenience but after I thought about it more it may be hazardous.

That Monday the ships are visiting the island is Thanksgiving week. Can that Island really handle 1,000 or more kids! The play facilities near the tender are going to be a zoo to say the least.

Monday I am going to call Carnival Corporation and see what they have to say about this.

you are right -- the children's area will be a zoo

i'll be curious to see what answer you get from carnival

I am under the impression that the two lines cater to different demographics (not only age but in how much partying is done, etc.) and fear that it would not be a good mix.

jmo -- and i agree with you -- carnival has a reputation for being the fun ships with more of a party group

I don't think it could ever happen ... a Carnival Ship and a HAL Ship at HMC at the same time. We once saw a Carnival scheduled for our HMC day, but it got changed about 4 months out. It's just not something that's ever been done, and with good reason.

Archived