Ventura dress code confusion

Aladdin22

We are on Ventura next week, our first P&O cruise, have cruised quite a bit mainly with RCI. Formal nights on RCI my husband has always worn a dark lounge suit and that has been absolutely fine, tuxes were always in the minority. Would he feel comfortable in a lounge suit on Ventura as the impression I'm getting from these boards is that tux wearers are the vast majority? He wouldn't want to feel 'the odd one out'! Advice needed ad may have to rush out and buy tux in the next few days.

We are on Ventura next week, our first P&O cruise, have cruised quite a bit mainly with RCI. Formal nights on RCI my husband has always worn a dark lounge suit and that has been absolutely fine, tuxes were always in the minority. Would he feel comfortable in a lounge suit on Ventura as the impression I'm getting from these boards is that tux wearers are the vast majority? He wouldn't want to feel 'the odd one out'! Advice needed ad may have to rush out and buy tux in the next few days.

He will be absolutely fine. These days tuxes v's dark suits are about a third/two thirds, so he will not feel out of place.

It depends how sensitive he is, really. I always wear a lounge suit and wouldn't feel out of place if I was the only one who did - and I've certainly never noticed anyone looking down their noses at me. (Maybe I just didn't notice!) :)

MY husband isnt a suit wearer. only for special occasions. Having said that he does wear a tux on a cruise. The costs these days are not bad, I think it makes our cruise special. If you cruise fairly regular I would say " go on treat yrself" ;)

If you are comfortable in a dark lounge suit go for it.

However be prepared for upcoming posts who will question your social origins for not wearing a penguin suit. They will couch their comments in very refined language but what they are really saying is how dare a common oik cruise on one of OUR ships. They are known by some as the P&O mafia.

note: no animals have been harmed in the typing of this post :D

Why the confusion? If you can read this board you can read the P&O brochure which states dinner suit or dark lounge suit are acceptable on formal nights.

I own both, but if I ever went on a P&O ship which had formal and semi formal I wouldn't bother taking a dinner suit - the dark lounge suit would do for both.

Why the confusion? If you can read this board you can read the P&O brochure which states dinner suit or dark lounge suit are acceptable on formal nights.

I own both, but if I ever went on a P&O ship which had formal and semi formal I wouldn't bother taking a dinner suit - the dark lounge suit would do for both.

I would probably go for one of those linen jackets for semi formal, mainly because I like the look of it. You don't need a tie either if the brochure photo is correct. I already have a dinner jacket and trimmings so for my Ventura trip this year it will be going with me. It will be interesting to see what happens after dinner and I might be very quickly changing to casual!.

I already have a dinner jacket and trimmings so for my Ventura trip this year it will be going with me. It will be interesting to see what happens after dinner and I might be very quickly changing to casual!.

Snap!!

Just back from Ventura, and after the first formal night sitting in a hot theatre watching the show all trussed up in Dinner Jacket and trimmings I thought no more !!

So after the rest of the formal evenings, after dinner it was a quick change back in the cabin before heading out again to the theatre or one of the bars..

A lot did it, so didn't feel out of place.

After 14+ cruises I finally got my husband to let ME buy him a dinner suit, great value from Marks. We are on the Oceana and hope like the Ventura a lot of men will be changing because I can't see my husband wearing a suit and bow tie all night.

I'm going to be shot down in flames now for suggesting this is acceptable behaviour but to be honest I don't care. After a terrible 4 months which included breaking a leg the day before we were due to go on our last holiday, my father-in-law passing away and both our dogs being seriously ill, if some-one wants to look down their noses at us because my husband wants to change after dinner to enable him to enjoy his holiday is entirely up to them. We have paid for this holiday and will respect the dress code as it is followed not as some of the passangers think it should be followed.

After 14+ cruises I finally got my husband to let ME buy him a dinner suit, great value from Marks. We are on the Oceana and hope like the Ventura a lot of men will be changing because I can't see my husband wearing a suit and bow tie all night.

I'm going to be shot down in flames now for suggesting this is acceptable behaviour but to be honest I don't care. After a terrible 4 months which included breaking a leg the day before we were due to go on our last holiday, my father-in-law passing away and both our dogs being seriously ill, if some-one wants to look down their noses at us because my husband wants to change after dinner to enable him to enjoy his holiday is entirely up to them. We have paid for this holiday and will respect the dress code as it is followed not as some of the passangers think it should be followed.

Hopefully Oceana will be fairly relaxed as well as I am thinking of trying a cruise on her in summer 2012. I wonder if P&O will finally sort out the dress code confusion for these ships next year so what is published is actually what happens on board.

I persuaded hubby to buy a tux as it was only £49 out of Marks and Spencers. I would also like to know about changing after dinner as I am not a dressy up person and can't imagine sitting around all evening or in the theatre with a formal dress on.

Trish

My feet always swell :eek:

Ha ha I read that as smell at the first quick glance. Sorry about that :):):)

That was something I was wondering about as well whether people change back to smart casual after dinner so thanks everyone for more or less saying yes you can. We are on the early sitting so would be dressed up a long time.

P.S. What sort of times are the theatre shows normally?

However be prepared for upcoming posts who will question your social origins for not wearing a penguin suit. They will couch their comments in very refined language but what they are really saying is how dare a common oik cruise on one of OUR ships. They are known by some as the P&O mafia.

It is interesting how folks are trying to play the reversal insults role and are we all so shallow as to worry about who wears what providing we comply with the clearly very relaxed 'formal dress code'

I am here to learn and for me, the easiest way of learning is by asking questions and this is a typical question from folks like me who are new to cruising and if someone wants to dress up and wear a tuxedo then all credit to themand if they want to say that is their very own garment of choice then again I would say all credit to them, but has anyone stated this is the only suit we 'he-males' must wear at a formal dinner on that specific cruise line?

The juggler has summed it up perfectly

Sue, on most ships the shows are at 6:30 and 8:30 but I think on Ventura they have 3 shows, I'm sure some-one will know.

Yes it was 3 shows in the Arena Theatre last year, 7.00pm, 9.00pm and 11.00pm from memory. There were other shows on in Tamarind and Havana (twice per evening I think) offset with each other so you could overlap or jump from show to show depending on your preference ...... I am sure some folk forgot to eat and just went from each show to the next :)

It is interesting how folks are trying to play the reversal insults role and are we all so shallow as to worry about who wears what providing we comply with the clearly very relaxed 'formal dress code'

I am here to learn and for me, the easiest way of learning is by asking questions and this is a typical question from folks like me who are new to cruising and if someone wants to dress up and wear a tuxedo then all credit to themand if they want to say that is their very own garment of choice then again I would say all credit to them, but has anyone stated this is the only suit we 'he-males' must wear at a formal dinner on that specific cruise line?

The juggler has summed it up perfectly

It's Ventura, for goodness sake. Have you no Burberry outfits>

:D

A couple of years ago we cruised for the first time on the Ventura. It was the first cruise we had done that had formal nights. We and friends who were travelling with us are not suit wearers and their initial thoughts were that dinner suits were too OTT for them. However they eventually decided that they would give them a try and purchased some of the really good value tux's around.

Shallow or not for us it was a great move. It added to the glamour of the nights for our little group and made it into a special occasion. Made us feel more part of it I suppose. On our cruise i would have said about two thirds were in dinner suits- perhaps slightly more on the first formal night but I have to confess I did not spend my time counting!

However if your husband has decided he would rather not do dinner suits then that of course is fine too and you will have a great time.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We are doing a mini cruise on Ventura this weekend (first time on P&O) after cruising a few times with RCI, thought we would have a little taster on a different cruise line.

Anyway, just wondered what casual attire is for the dining room. Are you ok with smart jeans and a collared shirt (men that is) or does it have to be trousers. No problem, just wondering.

Many thanks

Oh and also, on RCI they automatically add service charge to drinks, is that the same on P&O. Thank you

We are doing a mini cruise on Ventura this weekend (first time on P&O) after cruising a few times with RCI, thought we would have a little taster on a different cruise line.

Anyway, just wondered what casual attire is for the dining room. Are you ok with smart jeans and a collared shirt (men that is) or does it have to be trousers. No problem, just wondering.

Many thanks

Oh and also, on RCI they automatically add service charge to drinks, is that the same on P&O. Thank you

No service charge on drinks and they are pub prices so enjoy :D

No service charge on drinks and they are pub prices so enjoy :D

Thats fab thanks. Out of interest though, is it normal to add a tip when you sign for drinks. (I know that RCI is of course an American company and they are very big on tipping). Just want to do the right thing.

Thank you :)

Thats fab thanks. Out of interest though, is it normal to add a tip when you sign for drinks. (I know that RCI is of course an American company and they are very big on tipping). Just want to do the right thing.

Thank you :)

We gave the occasional tip in cash at bars, which was gratefully accepted, but not everytime.

Have a great time on Ventura. :)

Many thanks

Hi Trolleydolly. Dark Jeans are acceptable by P&O (on Ventura anyway) on casual nights with a polo or collared shirt.

No service charge on drinks and prices are comparable to UK pubs.

Regards

Brian

Many thanks

On smart casual nights, dark jeans are specifically quoted in P&Os brochure as appropriate wear. You are asked not to wear shorts, trainers, trackies or football shirts. Tee shirts used to be proscribed as well, but no longer are - although only a few mainly younger passengers wear them!

No gratuities are added to drink prices - these are included in the quoted price.

Archived