travel insurance

Can anyone suggest a travel insurance company? Final payment is tomorrow 3/21/11 and we would like to get some insurance but its expensive through princess.

We would like a cancel for any reason policy or just a medical coverage if we get sick on the cruise.

Thank you in advance

TravelGuard and TruTravelIns (a subsidiary of Nationwide Insurance) are well rated. However (I seem to recall) that you need to purchase the insurance within one week of booking. (Not sure) Check out their websites......

I have never seen a price for third party insurance (besides what Princess sells) that has a 'cancel for any reason' clause that wasn't more expensive. You might want to look at www.insuremytrip.com and see if getting that extra protection will actually be more than Princess charges for the same thing.

BTW-booking at final payment date, and not within so many days of the initial booking will not cover pre-existing conditions of you or other family members not traveling with you. Just a word of caution here.

http://www.csatravelpro.com/

In > 21 cruises, I have always bought the Princess Travel Care Protection; however, one time I booked with my Aussie Sister's TA in Oz and could not buy the Princess Insurance. Princess had made a mistake in the Group Pricing and the T.A. tried to tell them that. Two weeks later (when Princess finally recognized their mistake), Princess (hooray) honoured the lower price.

At a good friend's suggestion, I used CSA and, what do you know, this time I got sick on board the Sea Princess (Seattle to Sydney, 30 days). It was all those humid polynesian and pacific islands. The Brit doctors on board were just fantastic.

I had bronchitis and had to take off 6 days from work and Management does not like that, right after 30 days on vacation. They could see that I couldn't even talk.

Well, that CSA Insurance even paid for my Medicare medication deductible for meds I bought after returning home.

I love the CSA. You can pick different policies and add or subtract whichever you choose.

:D:D;):D:D

I love the CSA. You can pick different policies and add or subtract whichever you choose.

I used the CSA Pro policy because it will waive pre-existing conditions when purchased at final payment unlike many other policies without a big increase in price. It's another option & you can view pricing without an agent's code but it's required to purchase a policy.

In Australia we take out travel insurance the same day we deposit on a cruise/trip. The insurance companies here don't like you taking out a policy down the track.

Interesting that many Americans only take out out travel insurance when they make final payment.

Also we Australians cannot purchase Princess Travel Care Insurance. Unfair, but then we don't get a lot of other Princess perks either like, Veterans discounts, fully refundable deposits etc. So whats new?

There are policies that have cancel for any reason on insuremytrip dot com. The cancel for any reason usually is an additional fee.

When I've researched this in the past, I found that with my Elite benefit to cover 100% of my cost that Princess was as cheap, or less in some circumstances to cancel for any reason. Of course it's a credit towards another cruise & not cash like independent polices. If you have Princess flights or pre/post stays, that is covered but is not charged extra for with PCL insurance. While I haven't purchased a Princess policy in a long time, it's still part of my research when deciding which policy is best for our situation...just another option. :)

In Australia we take out travel insurance the same day we deposit on a cruise/trip. The insurance companies here don't like you taking out a policy down the track.

Interesting that many Americans only take out out travel insurance when they make final payment.

I do it at final payment when cancellation penalties begin & not at deposit because I'd loose that many if I cancelled even before the Princess penalty period of time.

I have an annual travel policy. So I am covered where ever I go what ever I do (within the terms of the policy)

Yes certain things under certain conditions are not covered and yes there is an excess to pay...that is deducted from the amount paid out for a claim.

But this really isn't rocket science, buy insurance - know what you are buying and what it covers and when it is covered.

Yes it might SEEM expensive - annual policies represent better value though, but it is about being responsible for ones self and not expecting to be able to pass on the cost or blame to someone else. If you can't afford or don't want to buy insurance to ensure your own protection then perhaps you ought to reconsider travelling at all.

I've already posted before i saw this thread. My cruise is in May 2011, for Alaska, I forgot to get trip insurance (well, really thought I'd get it tomorrow, etc. ) I made final payment in Feb. and called princess to get trip insurance and they told me I could only get medical insurance, I guess I was too late for trip insurance? Also, do i really need medical insurance since I already have insurance w/ my job? Thanks :)

I went through the trip insurance today for our 5/3 transatlantic. This is the 1st. time in 28 cruises that I'm getting it so I was carefull in deciding. The 75% return of cancellation "for any reason" and medical insurance while on the cruise did it for me. It was only $3.00 more that Expedias insurance. On a Carnival cruise last year, my wife was quite sick & so was I after I got the $1800.00 bill!

I've already posted before i saw this thread. My cruise is in May 2011, for Alaska, I forgot to get trip insurance (well, really thought I'd get it tomorrow, etc. ) I made final payment in Feb. and called princess to get trip insurance and they told me I could only get medical insurance, I guess I was too late for trip insurance? Also, do i really need medical insurance since I already have insurance w/ my job? Thanks

(800) 963-3538 http://www.medjetassist.com/plans/plus.aspx

I only have Medicare + a Medicare Supplement and The Guvment does not pay outside of the U.S. I buy the Princess Travel Care when I book so that I am covered for pre-existing conditions; I really have none.

I also have the MedJetAssist for flight evacuation to a hospital at home. Because, once U reach 75, U can no longer join - it is a Membership. I just added the Plus package for $119. The policy is $250 + $119 for a year. The Plus package gets you Cash immediately, cellphone, etc. Look at the website. If U R near 75, I would enroll now.

Better call your insurance company that U have through your job and tell them where U are going. U may not be covered.

Also we Australians cannot purchase Princess Travel Care Insurance. Unfair, but then we don't get a lot of other Princess perks either like, Veterans discounts, fully refundable deposits etc. So whats new?

Our poor Aussie cousins. Can U buy the CSA?

However, Look - Your Dollar is on par with our Dollar now. I know, things are still a lot higher in Oz because of your small population. U don't even have many of the ravages that we have, like earthquakes, floods, and tsunamis.

Yes, U do have the fires and those Tasmanian Devils ravaging.

Guest maddycat
(800) 963-3538 http://www.medjetassist.com/plans/plus.aspx

I only have Medicare + a Medicare Supplement and The Guvment does not pay outside of the U.S. I buy the Princess Travel Care when I book so that I am covered for pre-existing conditions; I really have none.

I also have the MedJetAssist for flight evacuation to a hospital at home. Because, once U reach 75, U can no longer join - it is a Membership. I just added the Plus package for $119. The policy is $250 + $119 for a year. The Plus package gets you Cash immediately, cellphone, etc. Look at the website. If U R near 75, I would enroll now.

Better call your insurance company that U have through your job and tell them where U are going. U may not be covered.

Once you are in a hospital and stabalized, Med Jet Assist will provide medical transportation to any hospital of your choice. They will not provide medical evacuation from a cruise ship. They do not provide medical insurance. Med Jet Assist is a good supplement for travel insurance (medical and evacuation). AARP members get an 18% discount on Med Jet Assist policies.

Dear friends:

There is a really good travel insurance service based on Australia, issuing policies to people all over the world of all nationalities.

It's called worldnomads dot com and their policy is underwritten by IHI/Bupa, a very prestigious European health insurer.

It provides UNLIMITED medical, although trip cancellation/interruption coverage is not as extensive as in the United States.

There are lots of alternatives to the standard Travel Guard, Travelex, etc. that don't seem to get much publicity for you folks in the United States.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

A married couple purchases travel insurance at the time of purchasing a cruise with "pre-existing condition waived". One month before cruise depertaure, the husband has a health issue, sees a physician who advises him not to travel. Will the travel insurance company reimburse the cruise price for both husband and wife as she does not want to leave him alone.:confused:

A married couple purchases travel insurance at the time of purchasing a cruise with "pre-existing condition waived". One month before cruise depertaure, the husband has a health issue, sees a physician who advises him not to travel. Will the travel insurance company reimburse the cruise price for both husband and wife as she does not want to leave him alone.:confused:

Every plan I've ever seen will.

They should. Call the company and get clarification.

Archived