NCL butler - what's the normal performer job expectation?

erdoran

Wow - I hope we will not be considered greedy or excessive by asking our butler to bring us breakfast in our suite every day, as we sure do have that planned! That was one of the main selling points for me! Breakfast in bed (crab cakes eggs benedict), looking out at the sea with the warm ocean breeze....ahhhh.....

Michelle

Wow - I hope we will not be considered greedy or excessive by asking our butler to bring us breakfast in our suite every day, as we sure do have that planned! That was one of the main selling points for me! Breakfast in bed (crab cakes eggs benedict), looking out at the sea with the warm ocean breeze....ahhhh.....

Michelle

If it makes you feel any better it's exactly what we have done and will be doing also in the future. :D

I have sailed a lot on HAL before and gotten used to having breakfast in our cabin/suite. HAL offers full breakfast delivered (to any cabin class) so it's not just a continental breakfast. It would feel funny than when cruising on NCL on a suite it would be classified as greedy just to have a breakfast delivered to my suite. :o After all it is a perk so why wouldn't I be allowed to use it???

Having a butler on NCL is fabulous. However I think it is just plain wrong that everytime and anytime you order room service the service is provided by the butler. Once I knew that the butler was very busy so I called room service directly. In 20mins our butler delivered the food. I suppose they had called him. Because of this when I got the munchies at 11PM one evening and pondered weather or not to order something from room service I quickly decided no as I didn't want them to call the butler again almost in the middle of the night. I'd wish that there would be some "private free time during the night" for the butler also when at least room service orders would be handled by room service. If I'd stayed in a balcony cabin for example I would have called room service as I would have known that I'm not going to wake anyone up. However now that I was staying on a suite I decided not to call as I thought about the butler. So basically I missed my snacks because I stayed at a suite. What a perk! :D ;) :D

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. I think my concern was that I wanted a reality check - were my Cruise Critic type expectations really NOT in line with reality? Sounds like they are very much realistic. And I would hope none of us would have a problem with things like a waiter bringing something rather than the butler, or if only strawberries were available instead of mixed berries, that's what you get (along with that very simple explanation, so it's clear your request wasn't ignored!), or even having to wait a bit because the butler has six ensuite dinners to get simultaneously!

I agree!! I have been reading as much as I can so I understand WHAT to expect with my first suite.

I don't want to be a prima donna by any means, :eek: but I don't want to under utilize the butler either. All these informative threads are a big help. :) I thank everyone for contributing!!!

Michelle

I think this is a wonderful perk of the suites! We generally order room service breakfast several days - not always from Cagney's (although it arrives hotter is you are in the courtyard and it seems that reg dining room breakfast is hotter in the back suites), but avoid it on the last morning and one leisurely sea days, when we often sleep late, skip breakfast and have a big lunch. On important port days, we always order it to arrive early, so that any delays will not affect our plans for the day - depending on the port and docking time, it can arrive anywhere in 1/2 hour around either side of requested time as it seems everyone wants breakfast at the same time!

Robin

Thanks Robin and European Cruisegirl for your responses on the breakfast delivery. :) I also appreciate the information about it not necessarily arriving on time, great information for planning! THANKS! :D

Michelle

Thanks for this thread. We're doing our first NCL suite (usually do RCI and CCL) this summer - and now I'm a little sorry! :eek: We like suites more for the room than for the services and generally ask for nothing...We're traveling with our adult children (who are in inside cabins) and thought an ensuite brunch or two might be nice - but am thinking probably not...Also like to order room service and I really don't care if it takes 30 to 40 minutes for room service to bring it, but if a butler has to interrupt his duties, I'm thinking probably not. It would be nice if we had a choice to call the butler or room service. I guess we're really terrible suite people! :D

Also like to order room service and I really don't care if it takes 30 to 40 minutes for room service to bring it, but if a butler has to interrupt his duties, I'm thinking probably not.

If it is during the butlers regular working hours you would not be interrupting his duties, this is one of his duties. We usually ask the butler the 1st day what his "normal hours" are. NCL butlers are awesome.

......Also like to order room service and I really don't care if it takes 30 to 40 minutes for room service to bring it, but if a butler has to interrupt his duties, I'm thinking probably not. It would be nice if we had a choice to call the butler or room service. I guess we're really terrible suite people! :D

On the Epic there were 2-3 times I would have liked room service but also did not want to trouble our butler. We have enjoyed breakfast on our balcony several times (LOVED IT) on Celebrity - but did not on the Epic, but that was mainly due to how late we stayed up. We just played it by ear upon waking each morning. Ahhhh, VACATION!!

Tom

Thanks for this thread. We're doing our first NCL suite (usually do RCI and CCL) this summer - and now I'm a little sorry! :eek: We like suites more for the room than for the services and generally ask for nothing...We're traveling with our adult children (who are in inside cabins) and thought an ensuite brunch or two might be nice - but am thinking probably not...Also like to order room service and I really don't care if it takes 30 to 40 minutes for room service to bring it, but if a butler has to interrupt his duties, I'm thinking probably not. It would be nice if we had a choice to call the butler or room service. I guess we're really terrible suite people! :D

We asked our butler his hours the first day so that we could respect them. Our only room service request was DS's standing cheesecake order every evening, so he was able to drop that off at his convenience. We did want to have friends up to our cabin for cocktails one evening, so we asked him which day and time would work best with his other obligations and scheduled accordingly. These were the only two special things we asked of him, so I have to say I don't know how it would have worked if we had a spontaneous request. If you are planning on scheduling a couple of en suite brunches, I think you will have no problem if you just work with the butler's schedule when you make the arrangements. Now, re: cabins, we're the same way, we love to have a great room to hang out in, and I have to say our Epic DOS was the most spectacular we've had, by far, and we've had some nice ones!! We loved it so much that we've booked it again for next year, and DS is bummed we can't do it sooner (as am I!!:p). If the cabin is a big focus for your family, I think you will be very pleased! Have a great trip!!

On the Epic there were 2-3 times I would have liked room service but also did not want to trouble our butler. We have enjoyed breakfast on our balcony several times (LOVED IT) on Celebrity - but did not on the Epic, but that was mainly due to how late we stayed up. We just played it by ear upon waking each morning. Ahhhh, VACATION!!

Tom

I really don't think you should worry about troubling the butler for late-night snacks ... we have had suites several times and we regularly order something after 11:00 (for my DH mostly, it's a big enjoyment of his!). We always call room service directly and the only time our butler delivered it (and scolded us for not calling her directly, loved that girl) was when we were in an Owner's Suite. We've been in AD Penthouse, AB suite, and CY Villa and never had the butler deliver it after 11:00.

We never feel guilty, as a result! :)

I really don't think you should worry about troubling the butler for late-night snacks ... we have had suites several times and we regularly order something after 11:00 (for my DH mostly, it's a big enjoyment of his!). We always call room service directly and the only time our butler delivered it (and scolded us for not calling her directly, loved that girl) was when we were in an Owner's Suite. We've been in AD Penthouse, AB suite, and CY Villa and never had the butler deliver it after 11:00.

Thanks - I will keep that in mind for our return trip to the Epic in November. Though I won't be at all concerned with such things for our next 3 cruises (no special service on Carnival - no matter the room you're in)!!

Tom

• 2 years later...

Don't know about the Epic, but on the Gem there is a Night Butler that services The Haven (and, I would guess the other suites too?). So, if you call for a snack, he was the one who brought it - not the "day" butler assigned.

We generally "pre-order" our snack of cookies and milk and the butler brings it with the afternoon treat so that it's there.

We've found that one the first day (or the next morning) the butler takes notes on what you can eat (food allergies) and stuff like that and asks what they can do for you.

Then again, we are such creatures of habit that by Day 2 they tell me not to write up the breakfast request unless I'm trying to confuse them with something different! :p :D

Don't know about the Epic, but on the Gem there is a Night Butler that services The Haven (and, I would guess the other suites too?). So, if you call for a snack, he was the one who brought it - not the "day" butler assigned.

We generally "pre-order" our snack of cookies and milk and the butler brings it with the afternoon treat so that it's there.

We've found that one the first day (or the next morning) the butler takes notes on what you can eat (food allergies) and stuff like that and asks what they can do for you.

Then again, we are such creatures of habit that by Day 2 they tell me not to write up the breakfast request unless I'm trying to confuse them with something different! :p :D

I'm so glad for your post. I know the thread is a couple years old and i was beginning to feel somewhat guilty that there was one person servicing 10 suites 24 hours a day.

I can imagine what I'd be like by day 3...get your own %#@&* breakfast!!! :D

I'm so glad for your post. I know the thread is a couple years old and i was beginning to feel somewhat guilty that there was one person servicing 10 suites 24 hours a day.

I can imagine what I'd be like by day 3...get your own %#@&* breakfast!!! :D

No problem. It's always good to know. I know that I research to death and then still feel like I'm in the dark on stuff. :D

Last summer, both cruises, they had a night butler, who took over our regular butlers duties when he went "off shift", this was on the Gem. I would imagine night butlers are fleet wide.

I agree!! I have been reading as much as I can so I understand WHAT to expect with my first suite.

I don't want to be a prima donna by any means, :eek: but I don't want to under utilize the butler either.

UPDATE:

We totally UNderutilized the butler.

.....suite just wasn't worth it to us.

UPDATE:

I believe we would under utilize a butler as well as I can't imagine having someone unpack my clean underwear & pack my dirty ones... :eek::eek:

We like to have coffee in the cabin in the morning, but I believe we would make it ourselves in the machine and we always eat in one of the restaurants.

Just can't see how we could keep him gainfully employed so I am really confused on the tipping.

We want to book the suite for the size of the real estate not for the services of a butler.

I don't think I am alone in those thoughts. Am I?

Fleet wide they have night butlers who relieve the regular butlers. I always tip my nite butler 3-5dollars. They usually work anytime after 11, also when you call for food or room service after a certain hour they automatically know you are in a suite and that is why you get a nite butler. On my last cruise I had an overworked butler who sadly was not very good. He had 12suites I was in an aft suite and he also had the forward suites. It was also the last 12day cruise out of NY and he said they were exhausting because there were so many sea days. The cruise had a large amount of elderly who liked to eat in their suites. Sadly my butler messed up one of my dinner services, I only had one dinner in my suite. He also said he could not bring me food several times because it wasn't available. My fellow cc's saw him in action or actually not in action lol. I never heard the word no from any butler before I was kinda shocked. Three times I asked him for pretzel rolls to be left in my suite and twice he brought me either pretzel sticks or regular pretzels. Later he told me he knew what I was asking for but just never got it right. One time when I got back from port I called for a hot dog and he sat and waited for me to eat it, my friends said some of this behavior was my fault because I was to friendly lol. I tipped him of course but nothing like I have tipped my butlers before. I have to say there were 4 days I didn't even see him, I didn't need him and didn't want to deal with him either. I think 12 suites for one butler was a lot especially on 12day cruises with a lot of sea days. His contract was up after my cruise and I could tell and he told me he couldn't wait for his vacay. A great butler can really make your cruise. I still love butlers and suite ife on NCL

UPDATE:

Us too...except we love the space of a suite and will always book one if $$$ allows. We couldn't care less about the butler and concierge service.

I believe we would under utilize a butler as well as I can't imagine having someone unpack my clean underwear & pack my dirty ones... :eek::eek:

We like to have coffee in the cabin in the morning, but I believe we would make it ourselves in the machine and we always eat in one of the restaurants.

Just can't see how we could keep him gainfully employed so I am really confused on the tipping.

We want to book the suite for the size of the real estate not for the services of a butler.

I don't think I am alone in those thoughts. Am I?

The problem is that people might think they "never used the butler" because they never asked for anything. The butler's duties are many, and most are duties that are simply done automatically, and behind the scenes. A few examples: delivering your evening "snacks", setting up you arrival champagne and fruit basket or chocolates, showing you around your suite and teaching you to use the coffee machine, plus keeping that machine clean and stocked, serving the canapés and drinks at the Captain's Party, making sure your glassware, etc is kept stocked, picking up and delivering your laundry, supervising your room steward, etc. I know I have never asked a butler to unpack for me, and don't know anyone who has, nor iron, nor shine shoes, nor anything else like that. I have asked him to deliver a few breakfasts during the week, had dinner in my suite (three times in total of all my cruises, never served course by course), twice (in the Garden Villa) I had him set up for parties, but never to stay for the events, and once I requested a DVD (that turned out to be not available). There are many examples of things people ask of their butler on this board, but just because one person requested popcorn and another requested a hosted cocktail event and another had dinner served course by course doesn't mean most people have requested the same. People use their butlers for different services, most just a few things, and very few are "needy" (for lack of a better word). The best butler will likely rarely be seen unless he is needed, so as not to interfere, but will appear when you want something and make sure everything runs smoothly behind the scenes, making your trip seem seamless, as if everything is going "magically" well. Kinda like when you want a glass of wine, and its just so easy: your wine is cooled in the ice bucket, with a towel and opener nearby, and clean glasses in the cupboard (even though you took the last two to dinner last night and left them there)- you never saw him do it, but it was done! Same with coffee, your machine is ready, you have your choice of coffee products, the cream you requested is in your fridge, and you have clean cups, saucers, and spoons..

The concierge is the same way - even if you never asked for anything, you got your invitation to the cocktail party, your priority tender tickets, etc.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17