Dog on Board

msmillie

Ok, thanks to JMARINER and my DH here's the picture of well, me, and in the background is Cookie and her owner. You can see her tote sitting under the chair. From her looks I'd venture to say Cookie is a poodle or some mix thereof. This is how we most often witnessed Cookie in the dining venues, out of her carrier and sitting in the chair next to or on her owner's lap.

Thanks for posting. Amazing what people can get away with.

Eight pages of folks discussing a dog on board? Its mind blowing.

I thought it has been a quite interesting thread. Better than the eternal "Should I tip" and "Should I bring a tux" or "Does this cabin have a restricted view". All of interest to a newbie perhaps, but the search facility could provide answers.

I just read that last month, the U.S. Department of Justice amended the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act to narrow the definition of a service animal to only include dogs that are specially trained to perform specific tasks related to the owner’s proven disability. Under the new federal law, dogs that provide “emotional comfort” are not considered service animals.

I see. Thanks for the info. Are dogs that detect the onset of seizures (as supposedly was the case with this dog) still allowed under ADA regs?

Yes, as far as I understand the new US-ADA regs. The animal (ADA must only be a Dog) must provide a defined service and not just emotional support, and the dog must have been especially trained to provide the needed service. Furthermore, the dog must be kept on a lease or harness at all times when in public.

Some US states have more liberal state rules as to what animals qualify and what services provided are included in the definition.

J

Thank you for the answer. The way the government has been trying to "gut" the ADA lately, one can't be sure. My wife and I are fairly active in the MS Society, which promotes the search for a cure for neurological diseases -- some of which (though not commonly MS itself) cause life-threatening seizures. I have seen videos and read printed accounts of the work of seizure-predicting dogs and it is truly amazing how they work. They can notify their owner by barking and other conduct that a seizure is eminent, even when the owner is showing no outward signs of this. This allows the owner to take medication to prevent the seizure or at least to lessen its effects.

Not every dog can be a seizure dog, even with training. The particular dog must possess a certain sense that is not fully understood my medical science -- but it works. And even dogs with this sense do require training, as you stated. For some unknown reason, mot of the seizure dogs I've seen or seen pictured tend to be smaller dogs. The work of these dogs is truly amazing, and it allows those is seizure-causing diseases to live normal or more nearly normal lives. It's no surprise that seizure dogs must be kept leashed or otherwise confined when in public. Though they possess special senses and abilities, they are still dogs that may notice the cat across the street and not the truck coming down the street!

Travelcat 2, believe me, Cookie was carried around by her owner, in her own little 'purse' complete with shoulder straps and decorated with little dogs as well as in hand.

I have NO qualms whatsover with a service dog being on board, but as alwayscoldmom mentioned it would have been nice if the Regent folks had been briefed ahead of time. The poor Maitre'd was literally sweating bullets and falling all over himself trying to find an explanation as to why a dog was in Compass Rose. I truly feel that if Cookie has been wearing some sort of indentification of her service dog role instead of a bright orange Bermuda sweater a lot of the passengers wouldn't have been so up in arms. But dressed as she was and being toted around she DID come across as more of an accessory then a working service dog. I never saw her leashed, even when she was taking a potty break with her owner at the rest stop on our way to the Alhambra.

Where I have an issue is in the dining venues. As Crusing Librarian stated Cookie was brought along in her tote bag to the tea time buffet and hoovered mere inches from the food. I saw her in Compass Rose sitting on her owner's lap with her head right up the plate in front of her. MsMillie already stated that she saw the owner pull out a silver bowl and pour water from her glass into it in Signatures so Cookie could drink at the table and Ka Honu (on another thread, I believe) gave his account of Cookie cavorting under the table in Prime 7. When he complained to the Maitre'd and something was said to Cookie's owners they left in a snit. On a cruise line that touts luxury and strict adhearence to the dress code I find this totally inappropriate.

Yes, the owner is not obligated to explain to everyone her medical history but I think she sure could have saved herself and Regent a lot of gossip, speculation and negative attention by indicating Cookie's role, whether by being on a leash or wearing a specialty tag.

I have a friend who has a service dog for her anxiety, a small dog. I cannot tell you how many people have vitually walked right over this dog. I wish I could say that her dog Lily was where she shouldn't have been in these situations - but she is trained well and sticks very close to her when she is on the ground. People are simply focuses on themselves and not on their surroundings. Its cost her numerous vet visits because Lily has been injured. I cannot imagine her walking around with Lily on a leash on a cruise ship with so many people about! So yes, Lily would be in a purse as you call it as well. Why? So Lily can do her job in a way that best suits her and her owner. IMO that should be what matters - not how much the general public feels she is or isn't a service dog.

What is being debated on this thread, the dinning with the dog in the buffet line and being at the table - what does this have to do with someone having a service dog? That has everything to do with common courtesy and manners, its just the service dog that is catching your eye. Why attack the dog and the concept of a service animal when you should be talking about protocol?

Archived