Dog on Board

msmillie

There is a cute little dog on board the Mariner. She did not sneak on board, she came on board with her passenger when we embarked, I don't know if she has a doggie passport. She travels throughout the ship in her own little shoulder bag as her passenger walks throughout the ship. Today she went to La Veranda; she went through the buffet line and then sat in her passenger's lap while the passenger ate her lunch. I have heard about dogs on other cruise lines but this is the first time I have seen one on Regent, especially in public areas and in restaurants where the dog was greeted with pats from the staff.

I love dogs, I have one of my own and miss her while I am on cruise so I know it is hard to leave your friend at home.

I also know that there are many hidden handicaps and dogs are used to support their owners. To what extent will this be a regular occurrence on Regent and is this a new Regent Policy? I wonder what provisions Regent will make for pets on board.

Angie

Don't dogs lie under the table in restaurants in some European countries? I saw them on one trip we did in Luxembourg. I'm sure they won't eat much:-)

Yes, in Paris you'll see dogs in fancy restaurants. Why is that relevant?

A couple of posters said to keep the dog out of the restaurant. Just commenting that this is fairly common in Europe.

Well, add me to those that feel that way. So is the point that if it's common in Europe it should be ok in Regent?

Regent going to the dogs?

Many people are unaware that one gram of dog feces contains MORE than 20 million e-coli cels along with salmonella (not the lounge singer) and several other harmful bacteria that I can't spell or pronounce. (There are 28 grams in an ounce.)

Please, not in any restaurant - or ship - I frequent.

BTW: A deadly cobra is missing from Bronx Zoo - see anyone wearing a strange looking boa on board?

Hey guys, let's not get carried away. I doubt very much if Regent is suddenly going to allow pets on board, let alone in the dining room. I'm thinking there's a story behind this one.

Not getting "carried away". Just commenting, the same way many have been commenting/speculating on the Concierge program thread. And why is there any "doubt" ? Unless the initial post is a joke it has already happened as we speak.

I met a woman who had a small white dog with her. She told me she didn't need to tell me what her medical problem was since she is protected by the Handicapped laws..... she said something like that to me. I noticed that she would let her small dog on those string leaches roam around her and one time the dog almost tripped an old lady with the string leach. Then the dog jumped on some man's lap. He got angry about it. He said he would have liked to bring his dog on the ship too.

When we got to port the woman went to the port city without her dog.

She went to the beach and had fun by herself. If she was truly handicapped she should have had her dog to warn her of a medical problem because dogs can tell when their own is going to pass out or needs to take their meds before they pass out.

I don't think she really had a serious medical problem. She told me she had to get a lot of papers signed before she could take her dog on the ship. Her main protection is that she didn't have to tell the ship what her medical problem was. I am somewhat handicapped and I don't need to tell the ships what my medical problem is but I do in case I get real sick they will know how to save my life. If I was to pass out they would check me right away for my blood sugar level and blood pressure level. I have a strong heart.

In California, many people state that they need a pet to keep them company because they have psychological problems. Landlords have to let them have a pet because of that law. I guess ships are doing it too.

Mariner does have a dog on board; the dog embarked with her passenger on March 23rd. The passenger has taken the dog on her walks around the ship, (in a tote bag). I did not say anything until she brought the dog into LaVeranda at lunch today and she sat one table from me. The behavior was as described in my first post. Angie

When we got to port the woman went to the port city without her dog.

She went to the beach and had fun by herself. If she was truly handicapped she should have had her dog to warn her of a medical problem because dogs can tell when their own is going to pass out or needs to take their meds before they pass out.

[COLOR="navy"]My husband cruises with a service dog. Yes there is some ports that we have to leave her on the ship. There are many reasons for this. 1. Country laws my not allow dogs (eg. British Islands due to dog having Rabbie shots)

2. Weather is way to hot for dog to handle

3. Cruising is very stressful to dog and they need some relax and down time themselves

4. Things we have planned on Island is not dog appropriate, so not to stress her more, she stays on boat (eg. go to the beach for the day)[/color]I don't think she really had a serious medical problem. She told me she had to get a lot of papers signed before she could take her dog on the ship. Her main protection is that she didn't have to tell the ship what her medical problem was. I am somewhat handicapped and I don't need to tell the ships what my medical problem is but I do in case I get real sick they will know how to save my life. If I was to pass out they would check me right away for my blood sugar level and blood pressure level. I have a strong heart.

In California, many people state that they need a pet to keep them company because they have psychological problems. Landlords have to let them have a pet because of that law. I guess ships are doing it too.

[Are you one to say what a serious medical problem is. When it is a medical problem to yourself it could be serius. You should be ashamed to judge others health. Yes I do know that others do take avantage of service dogs and think this is so.... wrong but for the amount of people that have service dogs for so many different reasons, we need to not stress ourselves about the ones that feel that they can take advantage of someone elses disability.[/color]

Being a lover of dogs, I see nothing wrong with a dog on board IF the owner has a true medical problem (otherwise, it would get out of hand).

Travelcat - when we were in France, at a very elegant inn in the champagne region, a couple came into the restaurant, laid a small piece of carpet on the floor and placed their poodle on that. The dog was perfectly behaved and all had a wonderful evening (including us, watching the whole seen that we are so unaccustomed to here in the US).

Not getting "carried away". Just commenting, the same way many have been commenting/speculating on the Concierge program thread. And why is there any "doubt" ? Unless the initial post is a joke it has already happened as we speak.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be argumentative. What I mean is that I doubt that the dog can be anything but a service animal of some kind, and that I doubt if Regent has suddenly allowed pets on board.

On the Dec. 08 Navigator Rio-FLL cruise, a woman had a service dog that we heard detected if she was going to have a seizure. When embarking the ship, a security officer was carrying the dog, while on board the ship two women carried the dog and we didn't know whose dog it was. Plus the dog was taken near the buffet. At that point, the GM told the woman only she would hold the dog on board and it was not to be near the buffet. Issue solved.

Archived