What to do from Livorno for two days? Florence, Pisa, or Siena

Pearl64

We are just starting to research what to do in our two days in Livorno. We will be on the Riviera's maiden voyage and are wondering what to do with our two days. Our ship arrives on a Monday at 8 am and departs on a Tuesday at 8 pm. I have looked intoPisa, Lucca, and Siena but have just dabbled in Florence. We have not been to Italy so everything is new. We need to consider how to get from the ship to the various places. What is the best way to get there--train, bus, or car rental? While we like art and my husband wants to see David, we do not want to spend the entire day in an art museum. We enjoy wine and seeing the countryside. We will be spending a week in southern France prior to our cruise so don't want to repeat something that might be similar. We prefer to do things on our own but would consider a short cooking class or a reasonable tour. What would be the best way to spend our two days and in what order? One problem is our being there on a Monday in April--after Easter.

All you Italy experts out there--what are your favorite places and what would you recommend for a first time visit?

Pearl

I've spent weeks in Florence and haven't begun to see all the city has to offer, so my inclination would be to spend all of your time there, where the Renaissance was born. In fact, I'd consider staying overnight in Florence, rather than going back to the ship. I know you've already paid for the ship, but when you consider the time (two hours each way) and the cost of getting to the city and back, it may balance out for you.

Alternately, you could spend one day in Florence and the other day in a hill town (Siena, Volterra) or seeing Lucca and Pisa, all of which are within reasonable striking distance of Livorno.

i would devote one day to florence and the other to pisa/lucca.

if you run some searches, there are many thread here about using the trains to get to both cities.

I would second this idea. Florence is great and I'm sure you could find enough to fill two days without a problem but personally, I think getting to see Florence, Lucca, and Pisa all in one trip is the way to go. I know a lot of people here think Pisa is overrated but I still say that climbing the leaning tower is one of the coolest experiences of my life and the view was amazing, and the cathedral is nice, as is the museum. And with a long day in port it fits well with a trip to Lucca, another Italian city I really liked with all of its towers and beautiful scenery. And I had perhaps the best crepe of my life in Lucca.

If I had to make a choice, I would go to Florence the first day, to get a feel for the most famous of Italian cities and then the next day I would head to Cinque Terre, the most famous of all the areas (perhaps Amalfi excepted). If nothing else, lunch in one of the villages at a cliffside resturant overlooking the Medeteranean is worth the time.

I do agree that Sienna, Lucca etc are wonderful places but one is quite similar to the other. Seeing the uniquness of Florence then the utter beauty of the five lands will truly be a memory.

Pisa, in my opinion, is a tower.....no more...it was 1/2 hour I will never get back LOL.

Florence first! I spent ten days in Florence last December visiting my daughter...with the thoughts that with that much time, I'd surely make day trips everywhere. Did it happen? NO! Florence was so enchanting that I could hardly bear the thoughts of going elsewhere. That might happen to you, too, so make plans for Florence plus somewhere else...and be prepared to break them! :D

And don't worry about "repeating" an experience that you'll already have seen in southern France the week before. Neither is remotely like the other. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both are wonderful but unique unto themselves.

We love overnights in ports (Holland America does this on many of their cruises) and you might want to consider a somewhat radical approach. It takes more then an hour (each way) to get from Livorno to Florence....plus you need a taxi to get to and from the Livorno train station. When we are in Italy we usually have a rental car (whether on an extended driving vacation or a port day) but we understand that many do not want to drive in Italy. Some cruise passengers, when they have overnights, will go to a city such as Florence (you could spend a week here) and stay overnight in a hotel. This means you do not have to rush back to the ship that first day, you can enjoy Florence at night, have dinner in a real Italian restaurant, and get two full days of touring. If you want to explore some of the other towns in this part of Tuscany (San Gimignano, Siena, Colle val d'elsa, Lucca,) or perhaps spend some time in the Chianti wine country (this is along the S222 road that runs between Florence and Siena) you really should consider renting a car. In fact, you could rent a car for 2 days (at the port) and explore western Tuscany (you do not want to drive in Florence). There are many many options with that overnight stay...and it all depends on your sense of adventure. We have spent weeks in that part of Italy and have never been bored.

Hank

We are just starting to research what to do in our two days in Livorno. We will be on the Riviera's maiden voyage and are wondering what to do with our two days. Our ship arrives on a Monday at 8 am and departs on a Tuesday at 8 pm. I have looked intoPisa, Lucca, and Siena but have just dabbled in Florence. We have not been to Italy so everything is new. We need to consider how to get from the ship to the various places. What is the best way to get there--train, bus, or car rental? While we like art and my husband wants to see David, we do not want to spend the entire day in an art museum. We enjoy wine and seeing the countryside. We will be spending a week in southern France prior to our cruise so don't want to repeat something that might be similar. We prefer to do things on our own but would consider a short cooking class or a reasonable tour. What would be the best way to spend our two days and in what order? One problem is our being there on a Monday in April--after Easter.

All you Italy experts out there--what are your favorite places and what would you recommend for a first time visit?

Pearl

If I had two days in Livorno I would go to Cinque Terre! We haven't done this yet, because we have never had two days in Livorno. We've been warned about the train schedule to and from Cinque Terre, and that it could be tricky with only one day in port. You would have the time to see Cinque Terre one day and then go to Florence the next day. Have a great time, whatever you decide to do!:)

If I had to make a choice, I would go to Florence the first day, to get a feel for the most famous of Italian cities and then the next day I would head to Cinque Terre, the most famous of all the areas (perhaps Amalfi excepted). If nothing else, lunch in one of the villages at a cliffside resturant overlooking the Medeteranean is worth the time.

I do agree that Sienna, Lucca etc are wonderful places but one is quite similar to the other. Seeing the uniquness of Florence then the utter beauty of the five lands will truly be a memory.

Pisa, in my opinion, is a tower.....no more...it was 1/2 hour I will never get back LOL.

I agree that spending one day in Florence and the other in the Cinque Terre is the way to go. It is absolutely beautiful! If you do go to Cinque Terre with your significant other, then don't forget to bring a padlock to place on the rails along lovers path. It's supposed to ensure everlasting love. Good luck in your decision.

I agree that spending one day in Florence and the other in the Cinque Terre is the way to go. It is absolutely beautiful! If you do go to Cinque Terre with your significant other, then don't forget to bring a padlock to place on the rails along lovers path. It's supposed to ensure everlasting love. Good luck in your decision.

There is also the padlocks on the Ponte Vecchio (Golden Bridge) in Florence for the same reasons.

http://www.firenzealbergo.it/EN/Experience-Florence/romantic-getaway/pages/leggende-amore-ponte-vecchio.aspx

• 4 weeks later...
I would second this idea. Florence is great and I'm sure you could find enough to fill two days without a problem but personally, I think getting to see Florence, Lucca, and Pisa all in one trip is the way to go. I know a lot of people here think Pisa is overrated but I still say that climbing the leaning tower is one of the coolest experiences of my life and the view was amazing, and the cathedral is nice, as is the museum. And with a long day in port it fits well with a trip to Lucca, another Italian city I really liked with all of its towers and beautiful scenery. And I had perhaps the best crepe of my life in Lucca.

rlse - By chance, do you recall where in Lucca you had that best crepe of your life?

I also agree with the Cinque Terre. I would go there. I did a ship tour and that would be the best bet IMO. Also, Florence is a beautiful city but there will be many "daytrippers" in Florence and it will be congested and it will be difficult to get into the museums. So, if you opt for Florence I would spend the night there to take in the city in all its glory. Once the sun sets the town is relatively quiet. The best place for me was the Pitti Palace.

rlse - By chance, do you recall where in Lucca you had that best crepe of your life?

I don't remember the name of the place but I can describe where it was. We were walking back towards the train station and it was along the main road that is in between the train station and the city walls. If you're facing the train station, it is maybe one block to the left of the train station, a small place that had crepes and I believe gelato, there were a few tables outside, where we sat and ate about half of it until deciding we didn't have time to finish it so we ended up walking quickly to the train station and finishing it on the train.

I don't remember the name of the place but I can describe where it was. We were walking back towards the train station and it was along the main road that is in between the train station and the city walls. If you're facing the train station, it is maybe one block to the left of the train station, a small place that had crepes and I believe gelato, there were a few tables outside, where we sat and ate about half of it until deciding we didn't have time to finish it so we ended up walking quickly to the train station and finishing it on the train.

We have spent a lot of time in Florence - get a reservation at the Academia - to see the David - unforgettable - it is not a huge museum - we went to the big one - forget the name - too much - love the PItti Palace- while I love Siena it is 2 hrs from Liovrno - we have never been to Pisa and have never heard much good things about it - enjoy yourtime

Archived