Chair savers!!!

ok so this is more entertaining than television tonight. To have the privilege of arguing over deck chairs by the pool on a cruise ship, is really a luxury. :D

We never seem to have too much trouble finding lounge chairs on the ship. Of course we try to go out there during non peak times.

I would have to agree, I have not had this much fun on the boards in a very long time :D

Well if you save a bunch of seats and no one comes, you would not have to deal with the crowds :eek:

Smaller ships are much better

Best class of ship for less crowding is the Spirit Class, but Maui is still so much better.

The beauty, the quietness and no chairhogs. :) Imagine stepping off your lani onto beautiful green grass with so many tropical plants, off to the right the beautiful ocean and beach and to the left the Tiki Bar and pool. Don't forget the wonderful smell from all the plumera trees, this is true paradise. ;)

Princess has their Serenity area that you have to pay to be in.......they still have chair hogs in there too!!!!!

Thanks for the information, that is kind of sad and pathetic don't you think? To pay for a chair/lounger and still have to see chair hoggers is ridiculous IMO.

Best class of ship for less crowding is the Spirit Class, but Maui is still so much better.

The beauty, the quietness and no chairhogs. :) Imagine stepping off your lani onto beautiful green grass with so many tropical plants, off to the right the beautiful ocean and beach and to the left the Tiki Bar and pool. Don't forget the wonderful smell from all the plumera trees, this is true paradise. ;)

We love Hawaii and Maui (all of the islands,actually) and considering cruising there next year. No chair hoggers (had to keep it on topic) lol

It's very rude to hold up deck chairs. On the QM2, there was alot of that.

One lady had these massive wooden deck chairs and slide them to the ocean view corner..also couple from Germany ,(it was transatlantic),held on ,even went to lunch and expected to be there for them... It drove me crazy

We love Hawaii and Maui (all of the islands,actually) and considering cruising there next year. No chair hoggers (had to keep it on topic) lol

You are kidding right? You need to get your butt down on Waikiki and Kaanapali beach early to get a good spot........then watch out when it starts to get high tide:D And the pools are worse....it pretty much happens everywhere especially high season......

And there lies part of the problem.....there is no posted time limit! There is no rule that says you can save a chair for 30 minutes or less......the rule is "Saving of chairs is not allowed". Someone can get up and as they walk away I can take their chair and it's perfectly acceptable (with Carnival). That being said, someone should have the ability to run to the bathroom, get a drink, run to the cabin and get more suntan lotion, or grab a bite to eat (we are on a cruise ship after all!!) which is why most people recommend 30 minutes. But that is a recommendation made by us cruisers, not a rule created by the cruiselines.

You're wrong. There's a sign just as you enter the lido that clearly states 30 minutes. If there's a TV on lido, it also runs a message periodically that clearly states the time limit.

Devil's Advocate for a minute............

.............and no I don't save chairs.

Why should someone be able to sit in a chair from 6am until 6pm right next to the pool. Is that fair?????? Assuming right next to the pool is THE spot to be.

same as the beach. do you move your spot around to allow everyone to be sea sea, seaside? :confused:

Now children.......you really should not be playing with mommies computer.

I don't know a term worse than snarky without getting into cussing (military training you know ;) ) but this type of idiotic posts would go there. And I do believe you are the one that posted about the forum rules and yet you break one right there. :confused:

You're wrong. There's a sign just as you enter the lido that clearly states 30 minutes. If there's a TV on lido, it also runs a message periodically that clearly states the time limit.

While I have not been on Carnival since 2003, at that time the sign only stated no saving of chairs and there was not much on TV other than General Hospital! On my last several cruises (other lines) they also only stated no saving of chairs. I will find out in 62 days if it says otherwise on the Liberty and if it states a time limit I'm going to the first officer I see and ask how they enforce the time limit (do the chalk the tire on the lounger??).

You are kidding right? You need to get your butt down on Waikiki and Kaanapali beach early to get a good spot........then watch out when it starts to get high tide:D And the pools are worse....it pretty much happens everywhere especially high season......

Nope, we have never had a problem with chair hoggers in Maui or Waikiki.:) We just spent a two weeks in Wailea and a week in Waikiki last November and of course had the best time (all times spent in the Hawaiin islands are the best times).

I'd love to have a chair cover/towel like Randy's and I'm considering getting one. That doesn't mean that you intend to be out of it for more than 30 minutes. Like anyone else, you can go to the bar to get a drink or run get food quickly.

What it does mean is that your towel doesn't look like 2000 other blue towels and it stays on your lounger.

next cruise i'm bringing on board my lounge chair..It's the same one I take to the beach.. it folds, light weight, may have some sand on it,but who cares?

I can put it right at my favorite place by the pool and when I leave take it to the stateroom!

Nope, we have never had a problem with chair hoggers in Maui or Waikiki.:) We just spent a two weeks in Wailea and a week in Waikiki last November and of course had the best time (all times spent in the Hawaiin islands are the best times).

I hear ya......my favorite vac spot of all times.....my fav beach is sunset beach north shore oahu.......but yes waikiki beach can get pretty narly at times...

I don't know a term worse than snarky without getting into cussing (military training you know ;) ) but this type of idiotic posts would go there. And I do believe you are the one that posted about the forum rules and yet you break one right there. :confused:

Excuse me......did you have an actual question in this quote:confused:

Yes there is indeed a sign that states 30 minutes however, we have not seen the notice on the big screen.......yet. we were on the Freedom at the end of January and they did not have it but would be smart to do so.

Bottom line is that people will always save chairs, people will always complain about it and most importantly there is no way to really control it.

If people aren't complaining about chair hogs; they will complain about alcohol smugglers, children running in the halls, smoking on the balconies, long lines in the Lido, extra charges for meals.........do you see the common thread here -

People are not happy unless they are complaining!

The problem is that we truly enjoy cruising; what we may need to do is start cruising with a small more upscale cruise line (i.e. Paul Gauguin)

I want to hear from those people who do get up at 6 am to put your towel on a chair by the pool and save it. Why do you do this?? I have to know...

Certainly isn't me! I didn't get up on our cruise until after 9am everyday. I'm on vacation.....so there is NO EARLY RISING for me! :D

Alright so Ive got a good story here....last year we were on the Costa Serena and we have 3 chairs on a row...not even near the pool...about 3 decks up and at sail away we wanted to stand at the railing and look at the town...the railing mind you was about 10 feet in front of the seats. So for about 5 to 6 minutes we are all standing there when we turn around and an Italian man is taking all of our bags and towels off of our chair and he says he "did not realize the space was occupied". Long story longer he preceded to try to have a "tug o' war" for the seat and we won. Then once he walked away his wife (who was standing watching this from afar) started to scream at him in Italian. Now...I dont think we were being chair hogs..but maybe in Italy the play by different rules :) oh and did I mention there were 15 empty chairs about 20 feet away? haha It was a great day none the less.

Non ci sono regole in Italia

translation......There are no rules in Italy

I want to hear from those people who do get up at 6 am to put your towel on a chair by the pool and save it. Why do you do this?? I have to know...

Because if you wait until 7:00am all the good spots are taken.

Yes there is indeed a sign that states 30 minutes however, we have not seen the notice on the big screen.......yet. we were on the Freedom at the end of January and they did not have it but would be smart to do so.

Bottom line is that people will always save chairs, people will always complain about it and most importantly there is no way to really control it.

If people aren't complaining about chair hogs; they will complain about alcohol smugglers, children running in the halls, smoking on the balconies, long lines in the Lido, extra charges for meals.........do you see the common thread here -

People are not happy unless they are complaining!

You are so right. There are people complaining about fat people eating too much food from the buffet on another thread here.

Archived