Chair savers!!!

If you're saying that you get up and occupy a seat, holding one next to it for DH then there's nothing wrong with that.

OTOH if the scenario is that you are "marking" a couple of seats at 6, going off to have a bite or cup, back to the cabin to collect DH, etc. then returning to the seats then you are saving seats as Carnival asks you not to.

If that is the case and (as you said) there are plenty of other seats available when DH arrives, there will be those same seats available to you so there is no need to save a seat.

Note: These are just personal observations. In 30+ cruises we have never sat by the pool. Just not what we do. When we want to sit in the sun or shade there are normally plenty of spaces a deck up.

Charlie

Charlie - you may need to re-read, I get my cup of coffee and read my book....where did I say I go back to the cabin and collect DH? I am in the chair and enjoying MY vacation........yes I paid the same amount as you, possibly more to enjoy the quiet at 6:00 and unwind; why this bothers some that I throw our personal items on the chair next to me until my DH comes up is beyond me..........isn't there more important things in the world to worry about. It's pretty simple you want a chair get up and get one - no complaining needed. I have seen families of 5 come up at 11:00 and get upset because there are no "prime" seats available - really?

I also stated that we do not sit next to the pool, we sit a few rows up away form the crowd and with a group of friends.

The guy gets reprimanded by security for name calling and I am told if they bother me at all... to get security! The rest of the day... do you think their 6 chairs were ever full w/bodies? NOPE.

Bravo! Good for you! I salute you! Good to see justice prevail!

:):)

If you're gone for more than 40 minutes, your stuff will be taken to lost & found.

Well then we have no worries because we are only gone for a few minutes............I guess we'll have to time our pool time to 39 minutes or less ;)

Monkey see, Monkey do! I learned by watching others with gold and silver cards do it on sea days. I was up at 6:30am and there were almost no chairs left near the water slide/Big screen and some people were bringing down 6-8 towels and using clothes pins to hold them in place due to high winds. This was on the Glory last week.

Yes, we do give up our chairs if we choose to have lunch at the same time. It takes us at least 45 minutes or longer to eat lunch so we just find a different place to sit even if it isn't right in front of the pool.

Thank you. I wish the Elation had people like you when we sailed on it...then DD and I might have been able to find a seat outside to sit on.

First let me say that we get our lunch in the Lido and bring it back to our chairs...........so no, I am not using one chair and saving another. It can take 30+ minutes at times to get your lunch from the Mongolian Grill or even the fish 'n chips - I guess I should tell everyone else in line that I need to go first because my chair is empty in the sun.......I think I am very nice and I do share

If I am there at about 6:00 and stay there until 3:30, I think leaving the chair for 30 minutes is reasonable. What would you do if I chose to be in the pool for 45 minutes, my seat is empty but I am in the pool; really :confused:

Regardless of how long you intend to use that chair, if you go to eat and it takes more than 30 mins to get your food, then you should be considerate and take your items with you. To expect otherwise is selfish.

Charlie - you may need to re-read, I get my cup of coffee and read my book....where did I say I go back to the cabin and collect DH? I am in the chair and enjoying MY vacation........yes I paid the same amount as you, possibly more to enjoy the quiet at 6:00 and unwind; why this bothers some that I throw our personal items on the chair next to me until my DH comes up is beyond me..........isn't there more important things in the world to worry about. It's pretty simple you want a chair get up and get one - no complaining needed. I have seen families of 5 come up at 11:00 and get upset because there are no "prime" seats available - really?

I also stated that we do not sit next to the pool, we sit a few rows up away form the crowd and with a group of friends.

When we were on the Elation there were no seats available...prime or not. DD and I walked the decks a couple times before giving up.

I went to some activity on Lido and saw an empty chair next to an older lady. I sat down and about a minute later she said "that's my husband's chair." I told her chair saving isn't allowed. About 12 minutes later her husband showed up. I offered him his chair but he said no and they both left. He didn't seem to want to be in the heat of the day. I stayed and enjoyed the activity.

The worst offenders have signs made up they actually have the b**** to put on the chairs.

Have you seen the picture of Host Randy's CC towel chair cover? It's a hoot.

You may want to re-read my post please. I said "If". Your original post was a bit vague as to whether you were up at 6 occupying a chair or were saving a seat and off doing other things. What you are doing is "hanging out at the pool" and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

The OP was asking about those that get up early, mark their spots and don't return for hour(s). That's not you.

Charlie

I would agree that the items should be removed but by the staff, not by anyone else. Also sounds like folks here are being spiteful, did you really want those chairs or did you just want to mess with a "chair hog"

In all of my years of cruising, I have never seen anyone not have a chair on deck, OK maybe you did not get the prime spot next to the pool, but there are always plenty of chairs for the guests. If you want a prime spot, get up and get one

I agree with your post. I'm not gonna pull 2 towels off 2 chairs. These people will get it in the end

Devil's Advocate for a minute............

.............and no I don't save chairs.

Why should someone be able to sit in a chair from 6am until 6pm right next to the pool. Is that fair?????? Assuming right next to the pool is THE spot to be.

So you give up your chairs that you have been in for hours, to go and have lunch for 45 minutes; we get our lunch from the Lido and come back with it. That is crazy (JMO)

If your bringing your lunch back your seat to eat, why do you need to go together? Cant you just go 1 at a time or have 1 person get lunch for both? Thats what we always do, after all, if you are gone for an hour or so thats an hour someone else could have been using the chair. Werent we taught at childhood to "take turns"?? I bet if everyone had the "take turns" attitude (and it would have to be eveyone) we wouldnt have a chair issue.

If you're saying that you get up and occupy a seat, holding one next to it for DH then there's nothing wrong with that.

OTOH if the scenario is that you are "marking" a couple of seats at 6, going off to have a bite or cup, back to the cabin to collect DH, etc. then returning to the seats then you are saving seats as Carnival asks you not to.

If that is the case and (as you said) there are plenty of other seats available when DH arrives, there will be those same seats available to you so there is no need to save a seat.

Note: These are just personal observations. In 30+ cruises we have never sat by the pool. Just not what we do. When we want to sit in the sun or shade there are normally plenty of spaces a deck up.

Charlie

that's a new rule I don't know about....I thought you can't hold ANY seats other than the one your butt is in......why should you be able to hold one for DH and not one more for kids........

One day I would like to get up early (yeah right) and go to the deck and rearrange all the items chair hogs leave out to save their seats. Pick up the sandals, books, suntan lotion and move them to new seats on the other side of the pool, and vice versa.

I think it would be a fun thing to watch. I could just see people scratching their heads, swearing the put their stuff on a different set of seats.:D

chairs...

My girlfriend was able to secure 2 side by side next to this group. When my husband and I got out there I asked her who was sitting next to them. She said no one had been out there. The lady down the way was saving chairs. I looked around and didn't see anyone. I asked my girlfriend if anyone had been there within the past 1/2 hour and she said not a one so= I moved their towel and plopped my butt down. Some woman came running over saying she was saving those chairs for family- blah- blah- blah... I said you weren't allowed to do that... showed her that it is posted rules etc., so she got all pissy and plopped down in the chair next to me so we couldn't take the one next to the one I had already taken from her. About a half hour goes by and 2 grown adult men in her party come by and tell me to get out of their chairs... I tell them I am not. They weren't around. It had been quite sometime (at least an hour if not more) and they start getting very loud and rude with me. Tell me to get up... they don't roll like that etc., etc., etc., I tell them i am not getting up. Go get security! SO they do. Security comes and tells them basically that I am right. You can't hold chairs. They lie and say they were in the pool which they weren't. All hell breaks loose. One of the men tells me to "go find a diet plan"... hilarious! Good one genius! In the end I stay in my chair. The guy gets reprimanded by security for name calling and I am told if they bother me at all... to get security! The rest of the day... do you think their 6 chairs were ever full w/bodies? NOPE.

I was on the Valor last week too, and found the chair saving to be rampant on sea days. There would be more than enough chairs for everyone at the times they wanted if people would just use some common sense.

We like to have seats close to the exit of the waterslide so that we can monitor our 5 1/2 year old who could spend his life on it. That said we were able to set up loungers on that day up on deck 12 close to the entrance to the slide....so it all worked out fine.

Of other note.....that was the only negative thing I can say about the entire cruise....it was otherwise fabulous

that's a new rule I don't know about....I thought you can't hold ANY seats other than the one your butt is in......why should you be able to hold one for DH and not one more for kids........
Maybe I should have specified a time limit:rolleyes: Yes, it's the same policy for all seats in all venues. Technically it's not ok to go ahead in to the theater, to the pool, etc., sit down and hold a seat for another even though they stopped off at the restroom on the way.

But, again, what the OP is referring to are those who "reserve" seats in the pool area early in the morning with the intent of those seats being there for them when they return later (often much later).

Charlie

why do people need to be near the pool? pool is small , crowded

noisy , I prefer to be higher up for the sun , wind, and hear the music

But I do have a pool at home to use everyday:)

I have 2 young kids that love to swim but I don't trust to be left without supervision or I would LOVE to be higher up! And we don't have a pool at home, so my DS's LIVE in the pool when we have access to one.;)

I went to some activity on Lido and saw an empty chair next to an older lady. I sat down and about a minute later she said "that's my husband's chair." I told her chair saving isn't allowed. About 12 minutes later her husband showed up. I offered him his chair but he said no and they both left. He didn't seem to want to be in the heat of the day. I stayed and enjoyed the activity.

The worst offenders have signs made up they actually have the b**** to put on the chairs.

Have you seen the picture of Host Randy's CC towel chair cover? It's a hoot .

OMG, this is the best one I have ever seen, going to have to get some custom slip covers made, just need to see if someone can get the measurements on the chairs for a nice fit.

Why should someone be able to sit in a chair from 6am until 6pm right next to the pool. Is that fair?????? Assuming right next to the pool is THE spot to be.

Why? Why not:confused:

I have no problem with it as long as they are using it. The chairs are there to be used by people...not objects.

I was under the impression that the deck chairs were "open seating". With budget cuts and economic downturns, I would assume that if Carnival wanted to make the seating "reserved", they could do so rather easily and with a nice profit.

How about if you want a reserved deck chair to call your own, you pay for a balcony?

oh...let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin ;)

Archived