New Princess "Secrets"??

stroza

Thank you for this fantastic thread! Today, as an experiment,;) I e-mailed Travel Agent & they have faxed Princess for Egg-Crates for us on Grand (28th May). This will really help my parents to sleep comfortably -I am so grateful for this suggestion.

However, in their reply the TA said pillow upgrades could only be arranged on board and we would not be entitled to robes & slippers as we have not booked suites. Is that correct?

Many thanks!:)

Thank you for this fantastic thread! Today, as an experiment,;) I e-mailed Travel Agent & they have faxed Princess for Egg-Crates for us on Grand (28th May). This will really help my parents to sleep comfortably -I am so grateful for this suggestion.

However, in their reply the TA said pillow upgrades could only be arranged on board and we would not be entitled to robes & slippers as we have not booked suites. Is that correct?

Many thanks!:)

There is a link in the Cruise Personalizer that you can request egg crate, pillows and you do not have to be in a suite to get robes, slippers maybe.

I requested extra pillows for my mom and a feather pillow for myself as well as robes.

Edited by IDRATHERBCRUISN

There is a link in the Cruise Personalizer that you can request egg crate, pillows and you do not have to be in a suite to get robes, slippers maybe.

I requested extra pillows for my mom and a feather pillow for myself as well as robes.

Th.ey have two types of robes. Everyone gets waffle robes but suites get the plush ones and slippers

I have been in Cruise Personalizer quite a bit, but haven't seen that link. How do I find that?

$2.99 for bar drinks after 8PM? Is that every day or just the first day?

This is the most thorough list ever!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

I've read that the after 8pm happy hour is no longer available on the Grand. I'm sure this will spread if it hasn't already. :mad:

Like any sale, anywhere, you have to be careful. I go to these sales and wade through a lot of stuff, sometimes you do find a really good bargain. At one sale, I found a $30 shirt for $4. Most of it isn't a deal though. I bought a sundress in the atrium shop and a couple of days later, they were in the sale at the same price I bought it at in the shop. (In the event you were wondering - its really hard to find a nice sundress in Toronto in January, so I couldn't really get one ahead of the cruise.) If you have trouble controlling yourself, you might just want to avoid their 'sales' altogether.

I guess I was lucky. I got a few really great bargains with this sale. There were two tops that I saw in the atrium shop that I really wanted but the price wasn't as attractive. Everytime I went past the shop, I would see those tops and each time I wanted them more and more. I stayed strong because the price was more than I wanted to pay. When I heard of the 3 hour sale, I figured there wouldn't be much that I would be interested in but had nothing else to do so I checked it out. I am SO glad that I did. Guess what I found? Yep, those two tops and at a reduced price that I was more than happy with. I was ecstatic. If I remember correctly, the price in the shop just the day before was 39.99 each. When I found them on sale during that 3 hr sale, they were marked down to 13.99 each. Yep, I left there, one happy camper.

I've found the sales to be ok... a lot of the stuff is from wherever the ship has most recently repositioned from, but that's cool. My first cruise (Panama Canal partial transit), I picked up a beautiful parka from the Island Princess' recent Alaska voyages. It was very expensive and I got it for $20. It lasted me for years! And I'm not sure why many people think the cheesy Bijoux-Terner watches are expensive... so many people complement me on my $10 throwaway watch. :p

I apologize, there is not a link on the personalizer for pillows and egg crates.

I forget that not everyone can see the same personalizer that I see.

So sorry, contact you Travel Agent as they will be able to request these items for you prior to travel.

I agree the $10 watches are a good deal, that is.........if you buy watches like they are going out of style like I do.:) I don't know about replacing the battery, but I believe I got this watch on Carnival ship for $10, and I've had it 3 years, and it is STILL going.

The small elegant purses are nice also for $10. There is no way you could get them at Jones/Macy's/JC Penny's for that price.

As for the tops, they can be a little expensive, but then maybe you want something to "remind" you of your cruise.

Thanks for suggestion to go through Cruise Personaliser link for the robe & pillow requests; however I can't find the link :confused:

Can anyone help please?

Go into the cruise personalizer and click on "onboard requests". Its the first question on that page.

My 1st cruise EVER is in Nov so I'm obsessed with this site! I read everything I can, I come on here at least once a day to see if I missed anything....It's kinda sad, I know ;)

Remember to join the Captains circle club as you get freebies eventually.

Take your own lanyard as they cost around $7.00 onboard.

The BT watches are a great bargin at $10 each. Just so you know, the battery is not replaceable so suggest you pull out the stem when not in use and reset when ready to use again. This will extend the life of the interior battery. These are great for gifts to friends and family members.

Good hint ...thanks.:)

We use a night light in the bathroom that only works when the lights are off. At night, we leave the bathroom door open so the light acts as a soft green beacon and provides adequate light when the door is closed. You could plug in another one in behind the TV if you wanted a soft night light in the cabin.

The cost was $2 at Big Lots.

How do you plug it in? the Princess ships I have been on do not have regular electrical outlets in the bathroom...

My 1st cruise EVER is in Nov so I'm obsessed with this site! I read everything I can, I come on here at least once a day to see if I missed anything....It's kinda sad, I know ;)

Thanks for putting all that info together. Some new items in there for me. Much Appreciated:)

How do you plug it in? the Princess ships I have been on do not have regular electrical outlets in the bathroom...

In the bathroom shelf area there is usually a plug for a toothbrush or razor and a night light could go there.

Sandi

are waflle robes automatically in the cabin? or do we have to ask?

can I get change for washer at pursers desk, or do I have to have to bring quarters with me? how much to wash/dry 1 load? how much for detergent?

so, there is no issue buying wine in port (Europe) and bringing it onboard? We were going to buy 2 bottles at the ariport in Rome--but would much rather get it on our 1st port stop. thanks, Elaine

You can preorder the robes on your personilizer, if not in the cabin on your arrival, ask the room steward and he/she will get them for you.

There is a change machine in the laundry room so you do not need to take quarters - or get change at the Pursors desk. I think the cost was $1 each for washer, dryer and detergent (but it may have gone up), you might want to consider taking the 3 in 1 laundry sheets instead of using detergent.

You can take a bottle of wine pp onboard at every port.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!

Someone had mentioned about purchasing the robes. I will say they are nice, but "personally," i don't think they are worth $75, or that is what I seen if you wanted to purchase them. Someone mentioned that they were "plush," which to them, that might be, but for $75, I don't think they are that plush. If you have ever been on Carnival ships and had their robes, that is PLUSH!:)

We are contemplating our first Princess cruise next year but with all this talk about ordering egg crate toppers and special pillows I'm wondering if the beds are that darn uncomfortable to begin with.

Also, we noted that the policy is that the staterooms allow smoking. We are not smokers and really don't want to be stuck in a room for 15 days that reeks of old stale smoke. Can a veteran Princess cruiser please comment on the smell in the cabins please?

TIA!

Trish

We've been on 4 Princess cruises and none of the cabins we've stayed in have smelled of smoke. We've found the beds to be quite comfortable and haven't needed an egg crate or special pillow. We've been on the Grand, Dawn, and twice on the Ruby. Hope this helps.

It wasn't until after we had booked our first cruise on Princess that we then found out that they allowed smoking in the cabins. I was very upset because both my husband and I have allergies to cigarette smoke. I immediately thought that we would have to cancel our cruise. My husband called Princess and asked what we could do. We were told that there would NOT be a problem. We should not detect any odor of smoke in the cabin whatsoever. Even went so far as to say that if we did detect smoke, we would be changed to a different cabin. Well, gotta admit, I was skeptical. I brought along some spray for smoke smell just to be on the safe side. Honestly, I was amazed when we stepped into our cabin. I could not find any smell of smoke anywhere. No trace of smell in the curtains, bedding, carpet, no where. I was amazed and extremely pleased. I don't know what in the world they use to get the odor out but it works. We are now booked on our third cruise on Princess. Honestly, it just is not even a thought anymore. What we did on our last cruise and will on the upcoming one, we will call Princess and ask them to freshen the room a second time to make absolutely sure that there is no lingering smoke smell. I hope you don't give this a second thought. I wasted a lot of time concerned about this and it was perfectly fine.

As for the bed and pillows. We had read on here that the beds are pretty firm and we did request an egg crate. Even with the egg crate, the beds are on the firm side but I wouldn't say that they are uncomfortable. We slep just fine and never woke with a back ache. Our mattress at home is a lot softer but there was no problem with the Princess mattress. Now, the pillow was extremely skimpy. We did have to ask for a firmer pillow. No problem getting more pillows. Just had to ask the steward. Hope this helps.