New Princess "Secrets"??

stroza

...Also consider bringing a 6 or 9 ft. extension cord and a multi outlet power surge protector to use to charge your phone, camera, etc.MARAPRINCE

An extension cord is fine and a power strip is OK if it does not have a surge suppressor. A/C on a ship is different than land and using a surge suppressor can actually cause a fire, it's a prohibited item. Again, a power strip is fine so long as it does not contain a surge suppressor. I use an multi-outlet power cord. Plug it in behind the tv and the "outlets" reside just behind the TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Cablelera-Power-Extension-Splitter-ZWACPQAG-14/dp/B00FRODUR4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509894993&sr=8-3&keywords=power+splitter

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm about to solve so many problems with one simple device: cell phone. Put that sucker in airplane mode before leaving, and you always have a clock on ship time. It also doubles as a flashlight, fixing this whole night light problem. If you don't own a nice camera, most camera phones these days are better than your standard point and click. However, if you do still use a small point and click, a great "camera case" is a travel soap holder. I got that one from Real Simple many years ago. Another phone hack I use is setting my clock to military time. I get made fun of for this since I was in the military before, but I never ever set my alarm for PM instead of AM.

I own a phone case similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Vofolen-Resistant-Protective-Shockproof-Anti-scratches/dp/B00X3KEREO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511377525&sr=8-1&keywords=Sliding+wallet+phone+case

It holds two, possibly three cards inside but doesn't look like a wallet case. I carry my license and a credit card (not debit, lest it get stolen). That's more of a "life hack," but helpful for a cruise, too.

Depending on how active you are, consider hiking clothing. I have two nice pairs of hiking pants that are exceedingly more comfortable than jeans for walking around. I also have some shirts from Athleta with sunblock in the fabric. They are considered rash guards, but they are great for other outdoor activities.

For OTC seasick meds, Dramamine only costs a few dollars, but you must take it beforehand. I'll never truly know if it works because I don't know if I would have gotten seasick otherwise, but it's cheap insurance. Make sure to read the packaging and get the non drowsy formula.

An extension cord is fine and a power strip is OK if it does not have a surge suppressor. A/C on a ship is different than land and using a surge suppressor can actually cause a fire, it's a prohibited item. Again, a power strip is fine so long as it does not contain a surge suppressor. I use an multi-outlet power cord. Plug it in behind the tv and the "outlets" reside just behind the TV.

https://www.amazon.com/Cablelera-Power-Extension-Splitter-ZWACPQAG-14/dp/B00FRODUR4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1509894993&sr=8-3&keywords=power+splitter

Sent from my iPad using Forums

here are a couple of suggestions...

no alarm clock needed, you can set a wake up time on the cabin phone.

we take a shower curtain to close off the open closest outside the bathroom

if you want something ask for it.

you can buy 6 beers for price of 5 sometimes - specials note in daily log

exchange soda for water in mini bar set up - we never drink soda

we leave the light on in the bathroom all night; close door, light under door is sufficient

take an old cabin key to put in the light switch on the Royal and Regal to keep lights on in the cabin

buy extra water for the cabin in port, lot cheaper - $5 a bottle on board.

we create our own schedule on board by doing room service for breakfast and buffet for late lunch -skip mdr

book a mini suite or balcony for your own private space and peace and quiet for the most part

enjoy the ship when most folks are ashore (especially if you have been to the port before)

after 60+ cruises we only do what we enjoy... happy cruising

:D:D Wonderful. This is exactly what I needed Thank you

I totally agree that the other thread got wayyyy off topic! There where many many non-secrets there that I had to filter though. Here are some tips I found (BTW it took me 8 solid hours of reading 48 pages and 951 posts) These are the things that caught my eye and I made note of:

I hoped this helped and I really hope this thread stays on topic instead of fighting with each other like the last one :)

Not sure how much of a “secret” this is, but at the free soft serve ice cream bar, they have a hand scooped no sugar added flavor of the day. It’s usually vanilla, but sometimes you’ll hit the chocolate or strawberry jackpot!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I really don't have time to read all 17 pages right now so I'll add my own tips and "secrets" here and hope they're more helpful than redundant. :) DH & I have cruised Princess 10 times, including a 3 week "grand Mediterranean" on the Royal this past May/June, and we know we've learned a *lot* since our first 7-night Caribbean journey back in 2005.

• Use clear mailing/packing tape to secure their luggage tags to your handles. Completely enclose them in the tape. Impossible to rip or tear and if they get wet the printing is still legible.
  • Room stewards have access to luggage scales. Don't bring yours along unless you just like carrying excess gadgets!
  • We tip our room steward at least 50% when we first meet him/her. If it's a really long cruise we tip again at the mid-point, and always on the last night.
    • Ask your steward if he'll be onboard for the whole cruise. Sometimes, on longer cruises, their 2-month vacation starts during one of the legs.
    • Show them as much kindness as possible, and ask sincerely about their families, hobbies, etc. They work insane shifts! Typically, their shifts are 4 hours on/2 or 4 hours off, throughout the days and nights. They often work other jobs on the ship, too. If you show genuine interest in them they will usually do anything legal to make you happy.
    • We sometimes nominate our steward for the Princess equivalent of "employee of the month." We don't drop the card in the box at Customer Service; we leave it for the steward. We cite very specific ways that person has gone "above and beyond" to make our trip more memorable or stress-free. One a steward peppered our whole bed with chocolates as his way of thanking us, so you know they truly appreciate sincere compliments.

[*]We haven't needed quarters in the self-serve laundries in many years. Cruise cards only. I think Pacific Princess may need quarters still but you can get them from the Purser. Again, don't carry unnecessary weight unless you prefer to do so.

[*]Liquor, wine, and beer is BOG$1 from 3-4 PM in Crooner's. I think there's another bar that serves them, too. There's another BOG$1 at 11 PM, I think (we're never awake that late!)

• Save those raffle tickets you collect at the BOG$1 events! I won the "grand prize" of a $150 bottle of Cabernet on our last cruise! (And, yes: it was really worth $150. In fact, I couldn't find it online anywhere for less than $165!)

[*]If you enjoy Scrabble on sea days or in the evenings, either bring a travel game or get to the library on embarkation day and check one out. While it's an unwritten thing, people don't play and then return the games: they take them back to their cabins, apparently. The travel versions are a little pricey but you can use them during more than just cruises.

[*]We don't bother with travel alarms anymore. Wake-up calls are free, and our smartphones are easy to program, even when there are multiple time changes.

[*]$.99 camping ponchos are your friend!

[*]The whole cabin is metal, so magnets will stick well to the walls. Bring magnets or magnetic clips. I use them to hold my BOG$1 raffle tickets, Captain's Circle party invitations, specialty restaurant reservations, coupons, instructions...anything I don't want to get lost in the mounting pile of paper that gets stuffed in the door "mailbox."

[*]A trip to Dollar Tree yielded 3-packs of small plastic bins. We bring anywhere from 3-6 depending upon length of cruise and cabin type. They are handy for collecting change, rocks or shells, raffle tickets, the "good night" candies, wine bottle corks, your little repair kits (sewing, eyeglass, etc.), and so much more!

[*]If you visit the Effy jewelry store and you're celebrating a special occasion, let them know. They'll have a "special gift" for you, usually a large signature key ring or the like.

[*]Know that if you pre-purchase a photo package for a cruise that's sold as a 7-, 14-, or 21-night (etc.) series of cruises (aka back-to-backs, or B2B, B2B2B, etc), there will be an extra charge for the second (and third, etc.) legs if you want photos from those as well. They rolled out this practice in the middle of our most recent cruise so, after multiple people complained, we were given photos from all 3 weeks with no extra charges. But I'm sure they'e made this policy clearer by now.

[*]Don't get your cruise card wet multiple times, and don't keep it in a pocket with your smart phone. They *will* be rendered useless. You can get a replacement, of course, but it's a PIA, especially if you're on a busy cruise.

[*]If you're female and traveling to Europe (and probably south America, too) do yourself a favor and buy a cut-proof, locking-pocket, RFID-blocking cross-body bag. Sad to say, pickpockets and scammers abound in all the popular tourist spots in Europe. The worst we've seen or experienced was in Barcelona; it was also bad in Rome and Paris. DH carried his important papers, a bit of cash, and a credit card in a neck wallet worn under his shirt. The better tour operators will alert you to the latest/most prevalent scams.

[*]Shorex: are Princess shorex more expensive than most independent tours? Yes. Are they worth it? IMHO, it depends. If we're in a country where we don't speak the native language and/or the excursion requires a lengthy bus or van ride away from the port, yes. That late arrival guarantee is worth its weight in gold. In most Caribbean ports? Maybe... We have done both and been satisfied with both. The very best we experienced were on our most recent cruise, the 3-week Med trip. We were immersed in the histories and cultures of the regions, countries, and cities we visited, and there was never any worry about getting back to port on time. Just one example: we visited many Greek islands, and one had an especially popular but somewhat out-of-the way shorex. Our tour guide had an advanced degree in history and her driver knew the insanely twisty-curvy mountain roads so well we never felt afraid. We were taken to spots where we could take award-winning photographs, get locally-made crafts, food, and drink, and all while learning the detailed history unique to that one spot. We pulled up to the port just in time for the final ships horn, giddy with what we'd seen, heard, tasted, and experienced. That, to us, is an exceptional shorex, and we routinely get that with Princess.

[*]Those shallower balconies on the Royal-class ships? Not an issue unless you want to fit more than 6 people out there for an extended time. For 2 people? Just having the outside space is all we need.

[*]The "red carpet/starboard, blue carpet/port" rule doesn't apply on Royal-class ships. LOL

[*]You will never hear laundromat noise after 10 PM, even if your cabin door is directly across from the laundry. You will rarely hear any such noise the rest of the time.

[*]Mid-ship cabins on Royal-class ships that are very near the elevators likewise won't be bothered by excessive noise. We never heard even a ding.

[*]Anyone can use the Enclave pool even if they have no other Enclave access.

[*]The Ultimate Ship Tour (UST) is worth every penny if you can swing it, once per class of ship if possible. The Captain leads you through the inner workings of the ship, deferring to the chiefs of each shop operation, and you ultimately end up on the bridge with free-flowing champagne, canapes, and multiple photo ops. You will learn and see so much! After the tour a package will be delivered to your room. It will include photos, photo frames, plush robes, personlaized stationery, an apron, and other goodies as each ship allows. Extra return-trip luggage space necessary! We absolutely love USTs.

[*]The smallest ships have the biggest and best libraries. They also have the best onboard crafts programs, because there are fewer other entertainment options. Typically, there are craftsmen onboard who get free passage for providing free crafts lessons - supplies included - during sea days. We have participated in painting, weaving, cut-paper, ceramics, jewelry, fabric, and macrame key ring classes. All were fun and we came home with really unique souvenirs and gifts!

[*]If ATD is your thing (it's ours), you can get the same wait staff almost every night if you're careful and inventive. Ask for your favorite table number! Often, it'll be available, and as your wait staff gets to kn ow you they'll anticipate your arrival and make it even more special. Let them know you'll tip well and/or write them up in the post-cruise survey and they'll jump through hoops for you. Make friends with the Maitre'd and he'll do everything in his power to seat you where you want to sit. It doesn't take much: small kindnesses, as long as they're sincere, go a long way!

[*]Travel with other people who are Elite, of possible. They get preferential treatment, including dinner seating.

[*]MDRs have excellent food!

[*]All of our luggage always fits under the bed.

[*]Guarantee cabins are excellent opportunities for free location upgrades.

This is wonderful! Thank you for posting it.

I really don't have time to read all 17 pages right now so I'll add my own tips and "secrets" here and hope they're more helpful than redundant. :) DH & I have cruised Princess 10 times, including a 3 week "grand Mediterranean" on the Royal this past May/June, and we know we've learned a *lot* since our first 7-night Caribbean journey back in 2005.

• Use clear mailing/packing tape to secure their luggage tags to your handles. Completely enclose them in the tape. Impossible to rip or tear and if they get wet the printing is still legible.
  • Room stewards have access to luggage scales. Don't bring yours along unless you just like carrying excess gadgets!
  • We tip our room steward at least 50% when we first meet him/her. If it's a really long cruise we tip again at the mid-point, and always on the last night.
    • Ask your steward if he'll be onboard for the whole cruise. Sometimes, on longer cruises, their 2-month vacation starts during one of the legs.
    • Show them as much kindness as possible, and ask sincerely about their families, hobbies, etc. They work insane shifts! Typically, their shifts are 4 hours on/2 or 4 hours off, throughout the days and nights. They often work other jobs on the ship, too. If you show genuine interest in them they will usually do anything legal to make you happy.
    • We sometimes nominate our steward for the Princess equivalent of "employee of the month." We don't drop the card in the box at Customer Service; we leave it for the steward. We cite very specific ways that person has gone "above and beyond" to make our trip more memorable or stress-free. One a steward peppered our whole bed with chocolates as his way of thanking us, so you know they truly appreciate sincere compliments.

[*]We haven't needed quarters in the self-serve laundries in many years. Cruise cards only. I think Pacific Princess may need quarters still but you can get them from the Purser. Again, don't carry unnecessary weight unless you prefer to do so.

[*]Liquor, wine, and beer is BOG$1 from 3-4 PM in Crooner's. I think there's another bar that serves them, too. There's another BOG$1 at 11 PM, I think (we're never awake that late!)

• Save those raffle tickets you collect at the BOG$1 events! I won the "grand prize" of a $150 bottle of Cabernet on our last cruise! (And, yes: it was really worth $150. In fact, I couldn't find it online anywhere for less than $165!)

[*]If you enjoy Scrabble on sea days or in the evenings, either bring a travel game or get to the library on embarkation day and check one out. While it's an unwritten thing, people don't play and then return the games: they take them back to their cabins, apparently. The travel versions are a little pricey but you can use them during more than just cruises.

[*]We don't bother with travel alarms anymore. Wake-up calls are free, and our smartphones are easy to program, even when there are multiple time changes.

[*]$.99 camping ponchos are your friend!

[*]The whole cabin is metal, so magnets will stick well to the walls. Bring magnets or magnetic clips. I use them to hold my BOG$1 raffle tickets, Captain's Circle party invitations, specialty restaurant reservations, coupons, instructions...anything I don't want to get lost in the mounting pile of paper that gets stuffed in the door "mailbox."

[*]A trip to Dollar Tree yielded 3-packs of small plastic bins. We bring anywhere from 3-6 depending upon length of cruise and cabin type. They are handy for collecting change, rocks or shells, raffle tickets, the "good night" candies, wine bottle corks, your little repair kits (sewing, eyeglass, etc.), and so much more!

[*]If you visit the Effy jewelry store and you're celebrating a special occasion, let them know. They'll have a "special gift" for you, usually a large signature key ring or the like.

[*]Know that if you pre-purchase a photo package for a cruise that's sold as a 7-, 14-, or 21-night (etc.) series of cruises (aka back-to-backs, or B2B, B2B2B, etc), there will be an extra charge for the second (and third, etc.) legs if you want photos from those as well. They rolled out this practice in the middle of our most recent cruise so, after multiple people complained, we were given photos from all 3 weeks with no extra charges. But I'm sure they'e made this policy clearer by now.

[*]Don't get your cruise card wet multiple times, and don't keep it in a pocket with your smart phone. They *will* be rendered useless. You can get a replacement, of course, but it's a PIA, especially if you're on a busy cruise.

[*]If you're female and traveling to Europe (and probably south America, too) do yourself a favor and buy a cut-proof, locking-pocket, RFID-blocking cross-body bag. Sad to say, pickpockets and scammers abound in all the popular tourist spots in Europe. The worst we've seen or experienced was in Barcelona; it was also bad in Rome and Paris. DH carried his important papers, a bit of cash, and a credit card in a neck wallet worn under his shirt. The better tour operators will alert you to the latest/most prevalent scams.

[*]Shorex: are Princess shorex more expensive than most independent tours? Yes. Are they worth it? IMHO, it depends. If we're in a country where we don't speak the native language and/or the excursion requires a lengthy bus or van ride away from the port, yes. That late arrival guarantee is worth its weight in gold. In most Caribbean ports? Maybe... We have done both and been satisfied with both. The very best we experienced were on our most recent cruise, the 3-week Med trip. We were immersed in the histories and cultures of the regions, countries, and cities we visited, and there was never any worry about getting back to port on time. Just one example: we visited many Greek islands, and one had an especially popular but somewhat out-of-the way shorex. Our tour guide had an advanced degree in history and her driver knew the insanely twisty-curvy mountain roads so well we never felt afraid. We were taken to spots where we could take award-winning photographs, get locally-made crafts, food, and drink, and all while learning the detailed history unique to that one spot. We pulled up to the port just in time for the final ships horn, giddy with what we'd seen, heard, tasted, and experienced. That, to us, is an exceptional shorex, and we routinely get that with Princess.

[*]Those shallower balconies on the Royal-class ships? Not an issue unless you want to fit more than 6 people out there for an extended time. For 2 people? Just having the outside space is all we need.

[*]The "red carpet/starboard, blue carpet/port" rule doesn't apply on Royal-class ships. LOL

[*]You will never hear laundromat noise after 10 PM, even if your cabin door is directly across from the laundry. You will rarely hear any such noise the rest of the time.

[*]Mid-ship cabins on Royal-class ships that are very near the elevators likewise won't be bothered by excessive noise. We never heard even a ding.

[*]Anyone can use the Enclave pool even if they have no other Enclave access.

[*]The Ultimate Ship Tour (UST) is worth every penny if you can swing it, once per class of ship if possible. The Captain leads you through the inner workings of the ship, deferring to the chiefs of each shop operation, and you ultimately end up on the bridge with free-flowing champagne, canapes, and multiple photo ops. You will learn and see so much! After the tour a package will be delivered to your room. It will include photos, photo frames, plush robes, personlaized stationery, an apron, and other goodies as each ship allows. Extra return-trip luggage space necessary! We absolutely love USTs.

[*]The smallest ships have the biggest and best libraries. They also have the best onboard crafts programs, because there are fewer other entertainment options. Typically, there are craftsmen onboard who get free passage for providing free crafts lessons - supplies included - during sea days. We have participated in painting, weaving, cut-paper, ceramics, jewelry, fabric, and macrame key ring classes. All were fun and we came home with really unique souvenirs and gifts!

[*]If ATD is your thing (it's ours), you can get the same wait staff almost every night if you're careful and inventive. Ask for your favorite table number! Often, it'll be available, and as your wait staff gets to kn ow you they'll anticipate your arrival and make it even more special. Let them know you'll tip well and/or write them up in the post-cruise survey and they'll jump through hoops for you. Make friends with the Maitre'd and he'll do everything in his power to seat you where you want to sit. It doesn't take much: small kindnesses, as long as they're sincere, go a long way!

[*]Travel with other people who are Elite, of possible. They get preferential treatment, including dinner seating.

[*]MDRs have excellent food!

[*]All of our luggage always fits under the bed.

[*]Guarantee cabins are excellent opportunities for free location upgrades.

I use this power strip purchased on Amazon.

26989064279_7a039daca4_z.jpgPower Strip_3319 by Howard, on Flickr

On both the Regal and the Royal Princess it is almost impossible to obtain access to the electrical outlet behind the TV

Howard

Other than posting about it online there's no mention of it during boarding nor do they check luggage for any surge protection items in security.

Even in the muster drill they said nothing.