Specialty Restaurants - Children's Price

The Queen

I swear I thought I read somewhere that children under a certain age were free. Does anyone know about this? Maybe 3 and under or something? My little one is lucky to eat a few bites and she is done. She's not a picky eater, just don't eat a lot. I would cringe at the thought of having to pay full price or even 1/2 price for that matter. We were going to send her to the kids club the one night we planned on eating in a specialty restaurant until I read somewhere about them being free.

Any clues?

There were a couple threads a few months back about this subject, and from our several times eating in the specialty restaurants, our kids under 12 have ranged from free to 1/2 price to full price as far as the surcharge.

To note, none of these were advertised as being special deals for the kids when it was either free or 1/2.

I swear I thought I read somewhere that children under a certain age were free. Does anyone know about this? Maybe 3 and under or something? My little one is lucky to eat a few bites and she is done. She's not a picky eater, just don't eat a lot. I would cringe at the thought of having to pay full price or even 1/2 price for that matter. We were going to send her to the kids club the one night we planned on eating in a specialty restaurant until I read somewhere about them being free.

Any clues?

NCL offers a separate kids menu, in every dining room, that is indeed free.

Why would you expect them to offer the same menu/entrees to children for a different price for the same exact thing?

PE

It never has been. If they dine off the regular menu their price is the same as adults. But' date=' they do have the option to select from a kids menu that is free,[/color']

PE

WRONG!!! I know friends who have received half off. If they eat off the childrens menu it is ALWAYS free, if they eat off the "real" menu it is 1/2 off, although I have heard instances (here) of folks being charged full price. But my friends who have been with us have been charged 1/2 price. So I guess it depends.....

We were on the Epic in March and our kids were charged 1/2 price if they ordered from the adult menu and free if they ordered off the children's menu. Also, the waiter noticed if my 10 year old didn't eat the entree he ordered off the adult menu, and in those instances, we weren't charged for his meal. We didn't ask for it, the waiter just took care of it.

WRONG!!! I know friends who have received half off. If they eat off the childrens menu it is ALWAYS free, if they eat off the "real" menu it is 1/2 off, although I have heard instances (here) of folks being charged full price. But my friends who have been with us have been charged 1/2 price. So I guess it depends.....

As you said "it depends". My statement was to the OP who asked if the pricing for children was still 1/2 price. My statement is correct, not "WRONG", as it pertains to the standard per corporate.

They sometimes have 1/2 price for children as they also sometimes have 1/2 price for adults. As soon as somebody here says thet they received 1/2 price in one of the specialty restaurants on their cruise, a lot of people assume that they will receive the same offer on their sailing and then come back upset because they did not have any 1/2 price offering on their sailings.

Capacity and usage dictates what happens on each ship and each sailing.

PE

It was listed in the Freestyle Dailies as kids 1/2 price. Now I don't know if that changes week to week but I don't see why it would. It wouldn't make sense to offer it one week and not the next.

We had over 800 kids on our sailing due to spring break.

I would say it is safe to assume that kids 12 and under are 1/2 price for specialty restaurants.

Toni

It was listed in the Freestyle Dailies as kids 1/2 price. Now I don't know if that changes week to week but I don't see why it would. It wouldn't make sense to offer it one week and not the next.

We had over 800 kids on our sailing due to spring break.

I would say it is safe to assume that kids 12 and under are 1/2 price for specialty restaurants.

Toni

...and I personally don't believe that is a safe assumption. I have an email out to clarify what NCL's policy is on this and will report back what I find out.

PE

Offers like this do vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing. Just like the 2-for-1 deals - some sailings have them; others don't. It's not a matter of common sense; it's business sense. Supply and demand are the factors that determine whether special deals are offered.

Offers like this do vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing. Just like the 2-for-1 deals - some sailings have them; others don't. It's not a matter of common sense; it's business sense. Supply and demand are the factors that determine whether special deals are offered.

So does that also mean that the charge for adults vary from ship to ship or sailing to sailing? I have only sailed NCL twice but from reading the boards, it seems consistant throughout. So why would the kids prices change?

They would charge 1/2 price one sailing and let's say 75% or 25% for another?

Still doesn't make sense to me but oh well.:confused:

Toni

So does that also mean that the charge for adults vary from ship to ship or sailing to sailing? I have only sailed NCL twice but from reading the boards, it seems consistant throughout. So why would the kids prices change?

They would charge 1/2 price one sailing and let's say 75% or 25% for another?

Still doesn't make sense to me but oh well.:confused:

Toni

The standard price for adults is set. However, they do offer discounts on certain sailings (never announced in advance), typically a 2-for-1 offer at a specialty restaurant. Sometimes, there are also time frame limitations. So...bottom line is that the charge for adults can vary despite the set price. The adult pricing varies for the same reason kids pricing varies - supply and demand.

Ok, I knew I read this somewhere...and I just found it.

The brand new book that I just received from NCL on Friday states the following:

CHILDREN EAT FOR LESS:

Children 3 years of age and under always eat free and children 4 through 12 years of age eat for half the cover charge in the specialty restaurants.

I can take a picture if you all need me to and post.

The link that was posted previously, at the bottom it states effective 11/1/10.

The brochure that I have states effective: 2/1/11

So there you have it. :)

The brand new book that I just received from NCL on Friday states the following:

CHILDREN EAT FOR LESS:

Children 3 years of age and under always eat free and children 4 through 12 years of age eat for half the cover charge in the specialty restaurants.

That's great info. I hope all the relevant personnel on the ships know about this official policy. :rolleyes:

Now, let's see how long it takes before the policy changes again. :eek:

That's great info. I hope all the relevant personnel on the ships know about this official policy. :rolleyes:

Now, let's see how long it takes before the policy changes again. :eek:

Yea, I think I'll take my book with me that states it...you know, just in case. :D

Oh, and it does say Freestyle Cruising Vacation Guide for 2011-2013. So, I'm thinking even if they did try to change it, and you have proof, they would have to honor it. DOUBLE SMILEY

CHILDREN EAT FOR LESS:

Thanks for the info. Guess policy's change fast. Nice to know that they are not full price.

Thank you for the new posting regarding the change in pricing.

Before is was ages 6-12 were half price in the specialty restaurants and under six were free. At all times, if the child chooses to eat off the free kids menu, well it was free. I have a child who loves Le Bistro, Teppanayaki and a distant third, La Cucina. On most cruises, we always dine in the specialty restaurants and he was never charged full price -- always half the cover charge. Now that he is 13, we pay the full price and still go because he really loves the food.

Archived