Royal wedding fashion

GORDONCHICK

Yes-white for bridesmaids and maid of honours is a traditional British thing.

Kate's dress was beautiful-very stylish. Even if she wanted too do today trend to strapless(which I don't care for personally), it wasn't appropriate for Westminster Abbey.

Beatrice's hat(I forget the actuall name for it, since it wasn't a complete hat), reminded me of something out of Dr. Seuss. Oh well.

I loved Kate;s reaction when she stepped out onto the balcony for the first time and saw the crowd. Also, William lifting up on his toes after Harry said something to him about how Kate was looking as she walked down the aisle. Very sweet.

Vogue has named its best dressed of the wedding - ironically loving a few you all have mentioned not liking (eg Samantha Cameron, Princess Beatrice).

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/best-dressed-of-the-royal-wedding/

As I mentioned earlier, my favorite was Charlene Wittstock and I'm happy to see she was mentioned by Vogue among their best dressed picks.

Vogue has named its best dressed of the wedding - ironically loving a few you all have mentioned not liking (eg Samantha Cameron, Princess Beatrice).

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/best-dressed-of-the-royal-wedding/

As I mentioned earlier, my favorite was Charlene Wittstock and I'm happy to see she was mentioned by Vogue among their best dressed picks.

My least favourite is #11 Frances Osborne. I've seen photos of her dress up close and it is the worst fitted and unfinished thing I've ever seen. It's too clingy for the Abbey, is pulling all over her and has so many raw seams that it makes me wonder if she wore it inside out.

The black rose and feathers fascinator is nice.

They're called "fascinators".

That's it-thank-you.

In regards to the white bridesmaid dresses, I also recall-traditional or folk tale-the attendants were dressed in white in order to fool anyone from trying to kidnap the bride. Though, in that case, they would have been dressed identical.

Fashion lists are about as fickle as fickle can be. After looking at a number of best and worst dressed lists, any number of the ladies are on the best one place, the worst the other and vice versa.;):)

I saw some closer pics of Pippa's gown-I saw there was a bit of trim around the neckline -when someone said lace I was envisioning like Kate's gown-not a bit of trim.

It is a beautiful gown and I imagine many will want copies for bridal gowns.

One thing the closeup helped me to notice-was that it was not as low as I thought-there is a piece of material in the yoke- to keep it from being low cut. I was wondering why she could wear something low cut in the church-but Kate couldn't.

Fascinators are not really hat-like they are usually, feathers and bows, ribbons etc ie not shaped like a mini hat - usually on a comb attachment, but sometimes on a hairband.

The hat-like ones we call 'hatinators' and they are on a hairband. I wore one to my son's wedding last year they are very comfortable. Most British people wear hats or some form of head geer to a wedding. It cannot be removed until the bride's mother removes hers, which is usually after the receiving line and just before sitting down the the 'wedding breakfast'.

We have lots of funny customs and traditions which you guys over the pond don't seem to have!!;)

Jen from England was our Cruise Director on Carnival Legend last year. She has some fabulous retro styled full skirted cocktail gowns that she wore matching fascinators with.

I've worn a hat to an afternoon church wedding in the past and would do it again if I found one that suited my outfit. I took it off for the evening dinner reception.

One of my college roommates was married in May 1996....Yes, she married on Derby Day (another roommate - who was a bridesmaid - is from Louisville and had told all of us NEVER to marry on Derby Day - the first of our group to marry happened to choose that date. Oops!) Anyway - I *had* to wear a hat to that wedding!

She is not a princess; her title is now HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. She looked like a princess though. Much happiness to her and Wills.

Actually, her title is HRH The Dutchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and either Baroness or Lady of Carrickfergus.

She is not technically Princess Catherine, however. According to protocol, she would only be Princess Catherine if she was born a princess. Instead she is Princess William of Wales, as she takes her husband's name instead.

Though technically she isn't Princess Catherine, the press office at Clarence House has no problem with people calling her that:

From The Daily Telegraph, Saturday April 30, 2011

A2

“The Queen gave the couple their first wedding gift by bestowing on Prince William the title of Duke of Cambridge, meaning Miss Middleton will be known as HRH the Duchess of Cambridge. But in a break with protocol, Paddy Harverson, the Prince of Wales’s communications secretary, encouraged the public to use the names Prince William and Princess Catherine if they preferred. He said ‘I think it’s absolutely natural that the public might want to call them Prince William and Princess Catherine and no one is going to have any argument with that.’”

Though technically she isn't Princess Catherine, the press office at Clarence House has no problem with people calling her that:

I have no problem with it either. Technically Diana wasn't a princess either, and she was always introduced that way. I think Kate is awesome, and she will deffinately be Princess Catherine to me. :)

It isn't just a tradition that hats are worn at weddings in Britain, it is more to do with the fact that women's heads are traditionally covered in church (but men should remove hats).

I thought Kate looked beatuful, elegant and classy and the dress she chose for her sister too was simple and beautiful.

I thought Victoria Becham looked lovely, how far pregnant is she?

I thought Cameron's wife looked a mess, and it was disrespectful of her not to wear a hat.

I also loved Tara Pamer Tomkinson's outfit, loved that she chose the same colours from head to toe,

Kate's dress was similar to my Mum's (she married in 1955). My Mum's dress had long lace sleeves and a similar neckline.

I loved Pippa's gown. And I think it blended so nicely with The Bride. Had she been in 'color', I think the eye would have been directed away from the bride, as when Pippa was carrying the train. I thought they were both so lovely! And I liked the small, delicate bouquet.....and also that she carried it in the appropriate place....not right out front, but down a little lower, at her waist instead of way above it.

Always makes me chuckle when watching "Say Yes to the Dress'....these gals spend all this energy and money finding the absolute, perfect dress (and I agree, many of them are skanky and identical) and then carry these gigantic boquets right out in front, like a shield. Covers up the front, can't see any of the detailing.....and the impact of the dress that they so desperately want is over and done with in about 5 minutes.

I'm not a fan of weddings, obviously. I've been married happily for 21 years, but I was far more interested in investing in the marriage than the wedding.

But the Royal Wedding was a joyful treat to watch. I was so proud of that girl for her poise and dignity.....like I know her personally or something! Made me miss Diana again, as though I knew her, too.:)

Same situation - Diana was a princess. She just wasn't Princess Diana:p She was the Princess of Wales.

Kate will become a princess when William becomes Prince of Wales. (after Elizabeth's death when Charles is King) Until then, she is just a duchess, as you pointed out.

To the person you replied to, that is the difference.

Also, both were previously commoners before marriage, but Diana was also an aristocrat?, (not sure if that is the correct term) daughter of an earl, so she was Lady Diana, before marriage.

Some time ago (3 or 4 years?) in the float away lounge I had a brit correct me and tell me Camilla is Princess of Wales now, however, she only uses her duchess title, (it seems her and Charles have quite a few titles) as a nod to the people who loved Diana, who did not want her to be Princess of Wales. Not sure if this is true or not.

I loved Pippa's gown. And I think it blended so nicely with The Bride. Had she been in 'color', I think the eye would have been directed away from the bride, as when Pippa was carrying the train. I thought they were both so lovely! And I liked the small, delicate bouquet.....and also that she carried it in the appropriate place....not right out front, but down a little lower, at her waist instead of way above it.

Always makes me chuckle when watching "Say Yes to the Dress'....these gals spend all this energy and money finding the absolute, perfect dress (and I agree, many of them are skanky and identical) and then carry these gigantic boquets right out in front, like a shield. Covers up the front, can't see any of the detailing.....and the impact of the dress that they so desperately want is over and done with in about 5 minutes.

I'm not a fan of weddings, obviously. I've been married happily for 21 years, but I was far more interested in investing in the marriage than the wedding.

But the Royal Wedding was a joyful treat to watch. I was so proud of that girl for her poise and dignity.....like I know her personally or something! Made me miss Diana again, as though I knew her, too.:)

I love weddings and I have been to some very simple weddings that were lovely. However, today, people go way over the top. I can understand the royals, but everyday middle-class Americans going in debt $100,000, (either the couple or their parents) is ridiculous. Give those kids a down payment on a house, if you want to go all out.

What is sad, is many of these parents have no savings for retirement, so they work until they are 70 plus, and then will be living off social Security alone. How sad.

Many years ago a girl I worked with had an extravagant wedding that she and her husband paid for-what was sad, is the marriage lasted only 2 years, and she still owed $10,000 on her part of the wedding. As this was many years ago-that was A LOT of money. At least they did not expect their parents to paid that-LOL!

Here's the royal wedding pic I posted before. I don't know why the link is now broken. I'm linking from a different site, so hopefully you can see it now!

296420472.jpg

I saw that on Facebook a couple of days ago-it is funny-LOL!

Archived