Is HAL the right line for...

Girlsnightout

..my best friend and her husband? They are in their mid-forties, old New England family (Wellesley born and bred, preppies), he is a Wall Street banker and they are taking their 2 sons, 14 and 10 years old. They are used to good service and nice things, but like to have a good time too. Will they be happy on HAL?

My friend just called, asked my advice (I cruise often, but, while I've always wanted to try HAL, have hesitated because of my young nephews, I'm waiting for them to be old enough to participate in HAL's kids program), and I suggested the Zuiderdam Eastern Caribbean. I know they'll appreciate the service on HAL, but I'm concerned about the boys. Do many children sail HAL? The plus is that they are going April 16th, which is a big school vacation week in the Northeast.

My first thought was Celebrity, but they're pretty much booked for quads that week. The other choice they have would be Princess. What do you seasoned HAL cruisers think?

Thanks for the advice, I don't want to steer my friends in the wrong direction.:)

I believe they will have a nice time. There surely will be more kids on board at that time than one might usually find on HAL.

You might tell them the Zuiderdam is the least traditional of the HAL ships (In my opinion). The interiors are much more contemporary and done in much birghter colors than other HAL ships.

Thanks DFD, glad to hear it...

And Beth, yes, a Wall Street banker booking a quad veranda..they don't want their 14 and 10 year olds by themselves in a cabin, and neither would I. I don't know why some people have such ridiculous misconceptions about those who have money. Just because they have it, doesn't mean they spend it. In fact, that's usually why they have it;) !

A Wall Street Banker and his family won't be happy unless they are in an S and the kids are across the hall...

But yes, I think HAL is a good choice for them - in an R-Class or Vista Class...

girlsnightout,

My comments were not only related to the fact that this family could afford more than one cabin. Four people in a stateroom for a week with one bathroom is, in my opinion, no vacation. These rooms are much smaller than a standard hotel room, and the children listed were not toddlers. You wanted to know if they would enjoy their vacation, and I answered.

If the family cannot supervise their children from an adjacent room, maybe a cruise is not the place for them.

Having said all that, my family enjoyed a week on HAL to Alaska. We had a veranda stateroom, and the kids were in an inside across the hall. I believe the ship provides just enough freedom for children this age to enjoy their vacation.

Beth

I'll go along with Beth, no matter how great the cruise is those 4 folks in any cabin smaller than the penthouse will not have a good vacation. Perhaps one of Celebrity's Family cabins, or the Garden Villa on an NCL ship would be a better choice...

Though not sailing HAL on my Alaska cruise, I booked adjoing insides as my pre-teen son and his best friend are joining my husband and I. Almost 300 sq. ft of space, 2 bathrooms, 2 TVs, etc. I gave up our balcony to gain privacy and space. I can't imagine spending 7 days bunking in a small room with 2 preteen boys. We originally had 2 cabins across from each other but when 2 adjoining cabins opened up, I jumped at the chance.

Adjoining cabins are the way to go. We took our sons( at that time 13&15) and it was the best. An extra bathroom is a plus for getting ready for dinner and if both kids get seasick at the time. :eek: Also it gave Hubby and I some alone time as it was a vacation for us too.:D

OK, let me add my $0.02 here.

If cost is not a problem, I would strongly advise against putting four pax in one cabin on ZUIDERDAM.

Three is marginally doable, if the cabin has an upper berth. Four is very difficult because this means using the sofa bed which takes up what floor space there is in the cabin. In the standard balcony cabins, you can't even get to the balcony with that sofa bed opened up.

Maybe, just maybe, four pax in an S is OK... (Are there even S quads?) But really, if you can afford it, adjoining cabins is the way to go. To me, with three it is borderline, but four is too much, at least the way the cabins are designed on these particular ships.

I can't compare the cabin size with "S" class. There were 4 of us in an "S" suite on the Zaandam and did very well.

We had our adult son sailing back from Amsterdam last summer in an "A" on the rotterdam and it was a bit cramped for space.

I tend to agree with Doug.

GN

Boarding.jpg.5600053819bc4b86b4470c2a1a6b4267.jpg

Re: kids on HAL for the week of 4/16 - We are booked that week on the Zui and the roll call thread included several families - 14 seemed to be a popular age. I think there are 3 or 4 14 yo boys (including ours) within just that small sampling of people. I don't think they will lack for company.

I'm in agreement with Doug. Four in a cabin is too much. But if they can go for at least an SS cabin then it can be done. I believe the Zuiderdam will have lots of kids on this sailing, and they should have a great time in Club HAL.

That week of April should be great for the family, especially on the Zuiderdam.

I prefer 2 people maximum in a cabin but I have had as many as 5 in a cabin. It was an old oceanliner that was an inside cabin that was originally in first class at 220 square feet. It had 2 lowers, 2 uppers and a rollaway. We treated it as rv camping on the high seas and had a blast. So, I am not about to tell you on how many should be in a cabin.

Steve Hayes

I think a local travel agent would be a great asset for this family. I do not believe that the SS cabins hold 3 but the S cabins do and they are a decent size cabin. If possible adjoining cabins are probably the best bet.

I vote 2 cabins! What if you want to nap in peace or lay around in your underwear? It's your vacation!Our first cruise was to Alaska with our daughters, 12 and 14. They had the inside opposite our balcony cabin. I held the second room key for them and checked in often and unannounced. If they wanted to go anywhere such as the buffet, we had to know exactly where they were going and they had to go together. They were allowed to use room service which made them feel very independent. The rules were any fighting, lying or making too much work for the steward and they'd be split up, one with me and one with my husband. It worked out very well and we're doing the same thing this summer to the Baltics. As long as the kids are respectful of their parents' rules, this is very safe. And you definitely can hear when a cabin door next to you or across the way opens or closes.

Happy cruising!

Margaret

Archived