I Can't Give Blood

I'm sure that most of you already know this, but I'm just confirming. If you have been to Haiti in the last 12 months, you will be deferred from donating blood for 12 months. I just tried to do it at my school and I was deferred due a risk of exposure to Malaria. So if you are a blood donor, and have been to Labadee, you will be deferred for 12 months.

Same for Costa Maya and Belize (though apparently not Cozumel). I found this out the hard way, while attempting to donate at my company's blood drive, which took place 6 months after my cruise.

I understand that the Red Cross needs to be cautious, and I don't have the medical knowledge to intelligently discuss this issue. But it really does seem a bit excessive that, after they go on and on about how blood supplies are critically low, and they need donations right away, to then go and block someone from donating for a whole year, simply because they spent a few hours at a particular place that might be at risk for malaria. (The Red Cross is always after me to donate, because I am Type O-negative, the universal donor. I feel bad that I can't give right now, but that's their rules.)

This links to a listing of all countries and which ones you'll be deferred for giving blood after visiting. http://nybloodcenter.org/files/Media/84/mediumFilename/malaria.pdf

Keep in mind that there are also restrictions on donating if you spend more than a certain amount of time (it's months, not days or weeks) in the UK due to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease concerns.

By the way, will773, I'm glad to see that you're willing to donate blood, even at your (comparatively) young age. This speaks very well of you.

Thanks! I would have done it in the fall, but I was still 15, so this was the first opportunity for me to do it. I really don't see a reason not to.

This links to a listing of all countries and which ones you'll be deferred for giving blood after visiting. http://nybloodcenter.org/files/Media/84/mediumFilename/malaria.pdf

That's a great link. Thanks for posting!

Same for Costa Maya and Belize (though apparently not Cozumel). I found this out the hard way, while attempting to donate at my company's blood drive, which took place 6 months after my cruise.

I understand that the Red Cross needs to be cautious, and I don't have the medical knowledge to intelligently discuss this issue. But it really does seem a bit excessive that, after they go on and on about how blood supplies are critically low, and they need donations right away, to then go and block someone from donating for a whole year, simply because they spent a few hours at a particular place that might be at risk for malaria. (The Red Cross is always after me to donate, because I am Type O-negative, the universal donor. I feel bad that I can't give right now, but that's their rules.)

I was told three years ago that Belize mainland was ok to donate. But if you went to the Cayes you were cut off for a year.

I have lived in Belize for three years and donated here last week...My blood is good enough for Belize, just not the US.

I was told three years ago that Belize mainland was ok to donate. But if you went to the Cayes you were cut off for a year.

I have lived in Belize for three years and donated here last week...My blood is good enough for Belize, just not the US.

That's interesting too. I guess the regulations are different depending on which country you live in.

We live in the UK and are not allowed to donate for 4 weeks after visiting the US because of West Nile virus!

It seems nowhere is safe:)

Julie

We tainted you! LOL! :p ;)

It is a shame about Haiti and Labadee. But I guess they are just being overly cautious.

We live in the UK and are not allowed to donate for 4 weeks after visiting the US because of West Nile virus!

It seems nowhere is safe:)

Julie

That's so weird!!!!!!!!

Its not really being overly cautious-Malaria is a parasite not a virus or bacteria-its quiet devastating and can live in blood for sometime. The reason for the year ban is that it can take some time to detect. And it only takes one infected Mosquito.

I used to think that the warnings about West Nile were over the top-but i got it from a misquito bite i recieved while sitting at a little league baseball game at night-and i took all the precautions. I was mid 40s and other wise healthy and nearly died.

Soldier who have been sent to the middle east are also banned from donating due to anthrax vacinnations and exposure to malaria

Its not really being overly cautious-Malaria is a parasite not a virus or bacteria-its quiet devastating and can live in blood for sometime. The reason for the year ban is that it can take some time to detect. And it only takes one infected Mosquito.

Have you ever seen anyone come back from a cruise to Labadee and say that they were infected with malaria? Anyone? All I need is one. If they did, the press would have been all over it.

As you said, you were at a night time baseball game. The ships are in Labadee during the day. And the passengers do not leave the beach area.

So that's why I say they are being overly cautious.

Now if we were talking about Belize, I could see it. I was riding ATVs in the jungles of Belize. THAT was risky. ;) And I swam in bug spray before I left the ship.

We didn't even get off the ship in Haiti and were told we could not donate blood.

We disembarked in Labadee, so we have been deferred for a year; however, according to the nurse with whom we spoke, there would have been no problem if we had stayed on board the ship.

I don't have the medical knowledge to intelligently discuss this issue.

I note it didn't stop you, though :D If only the blood services knew that instead of taking the best possible medical and risk management advice, all they had to do was post on Cruise Critic to find out was excessive....

Seriously, this thread is a good reminder to us donors to try to remember to check if we can donate BEFORE a vacation or business trip. I always mean to, often forget and then like the other posters get frustrated that I am barred for a while. If only RCI (and other holiday companies, of course) could include it in their countdown to your cruise. Book shore excursions, do online check in, GO GIVE BLOOD!

In fact, I am going to write and suggest it.

Have you ever seen anyone come back from a cruise to Labadee and say that they were infected with malaria? Anyone? All I need is one. If they did, the press would have been all over it.

Some one who was infected on a cruise to Labadee would not know until so far after the fact that unless they had not gone ANYWHERE else where there were mosiqutios and the possiblity of infection that that is where they got it-it takes some time to develope-thus the year ban-by the time you KNOW you are infected its way late. After all-how many times a year do you personally travel to banned areas? and because of the way blook products are used one infected donation could affect many people.

To the best of my knowledge mosquitos bite at any time-and as i said-i took every precation-soaked in bug spray-long sleeves-not out at dusk-it was hard dark. and the experience hasnt stopped me from doing things-just made me more aware of the risk

I posted earlier, and no one else commented on it. They didn't know what Falmouth was. She asked me where I was in Jamaica and when I said Falmouth, she was very confused and wasn't sure what to do. I think that they should have this added to their destination list.

I understand the regs and we just cant give anymore as we travel out of the country a couple of times a year. I am O+ and husband is rarest A-.

Just a side bar Mosquitos with malaria are only out at day break and dusk. Its only about a 2 hour window each time. And if you want more info if you look at the mosquito they are not straight across the back but at an angle. Lived in Haiti for 10 years never had Malaria and never took any preventive meds.

As many have implied, the rules vary by geographic location and as destinations and times change. Falmouth was not on the list because it was not a common destination, the average person my DH and I have encountered at blood drives is not widely traveled [may not have heard of many of these malaria infested areas] and is required to go by the script of places....just like calling tech support in India, when you deviate from the prepared script, they are lost until the script is changed. The screening questions have changed over the years...there were no questions about AIDS/HIV in the 1970s and now we would find it strange if they did not ask about this condition or behaviors that could result in its transmission. The red cross must error on the side of caution to ensure the blood supply is safe...no one wants to be infected with anything when they receive blood.

Archived