Family Suite or two connecting rooms? Cruise travel agent or direct to cruise line?

WhiteRabbit

Two adults and two teenagers (Son 16 & Daughter 13) in the family. We've done the fold-out couch before which was okay, but now that the kids are older and MUCH taller, we'd really like for them to have their own twin beds. I really like the idea of the two bedroom suites, but am wondering if I'm limiting myself by not really wanting to consider the connecting rooms.

We want to do an Alaska trip and really, really want the big balcony that the two room suite would provide because I'm not sure that the connecting type of rooms would allow us to open up the balcony divider between them.

Any ideas, pro or con, plus any recommendations on ships we might consider, would be wonderful.

Next question will be if I should find a local cruise travel agent (there's ONE in our small city) or if I should just call each cruise line directly.

Thanks so very much!

On our last cruise we got the Royal Family Suite and we have it booked again for our next cruise. We LOVE it!! It is more expensive then getting two connecting rooms, but the HUGE balcony and nice deck furniture is great!! Plus, you will get plenty of perks that you will not get in the balcony rooms...:D HOWEVER....I do believe that you have to have a minimum of 5 people for the RFS, so that may be an issue. The two balcony rooms would certainly suffice and I am sure they have balconies that would allow you to open the door between...not sure on this, but I am sure there are plenty of people on here that can answer that one!! Happy cruising!!

I'm a cruiser that doesn't spend any time in the room other than to sleep and shower. So, you kind of have to know what your family habits will be when you cruise and only you can answer that. Do you think you will spend a lot of time in your room to enjoy the amenities of having a suite? Or are you the type of family that would rather be out on the ship participating in all the activities? If you are the later of the two, an adjoining room would work just fine I would say. We went on the Epic last year and booked 2 adjoining rooms and they are only 100 sq ft each, but the lay out was awesome. I wouldn't think twice about booking it again and taking along a few of my kids.

As for booking direct or with a TA. Booking direct has the benefits of...if you have a problem you can call the cruise line direct. However, booking with a TA usually gets you more benefits, such as OBC or a bottle of wine or free insurance...what ever they happen to be offering. A lot of people, including myself, book using an online TA. People seem to get the best deals that way. The OBC is out of this world. You just have to do your research and make sure they are a reputable company you are dealing with and that you feel comfortable with them. If you have an issue, you will have to use your TA to get answers (in most cases...unless you are very persistent with your needs and the cruise line helps you...which I've done before). :D

First, I would visit the local cruise travel agent. You do not have to book with them, but they can provide you with a lot of insight as to what types of cabins are available on the various ships sailing to Alaska.

Second, are you planning to do this cruise this summer, or next? Some cruise lines have family cabins with large verandahs, but they sell fast and may not be available anymore.

Most suites do not have two separate bedrooms. The 3/4th persons sleep on a sofabed. Celebrity M class ships have Family Ocean View with Verandah cabins with a balcony nearly as large as the cabin. Separate sleeping area for 3/4th persons, which involves two sofabeds, but the occupants still have to pass through the main sleeping area to access the bathroom. On those M class ships, two side-by-side cabins would not work because dividers are not removable on M class ships.

Princess has mini-suites with sofabed and upper bunk for the 3/4th persons, and slightly larger balconies comfortable for four.

You have a lot of research ahead of you. EM

Two adults and two teenagers (Son 16 & Daughter 13) in the family. We've done the fold-out couch before which was okay, but now that the kids are older and MUCH taller, we'd really like for them to have their own twin beds. I really like the idea of the two bedroom suites, but am wondering if I'm limiting myself by not really wanting to consider the connecting rooms.

We want to do an Alaska trip and really, really want the big balcony that the two room suite would provide because I'm not sure that the connecting type of rooms would allow us to open up the balcony divider between them.

Any ideas, pro or con, plus any recommendations on ships we might consider, would be wonderful.

Next question will be if I should find a local cruise travel agent (there's ONE in our small city) or if I should just call each cruise line directly.

Thanks so very much!

when we did a family cruise- we opted for 2 adjoining balcony cabins so that we would have 2 bathrooms and could leave the door open between the cabins when we wanted. It was way less than getting a suite. Usually though you cannot open the balcony dividers.

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I have done tons of research since I posted the question. I did call a TA that was recommended by a friend, and she seems to know what she's talking about. She found us a family suite on the Golden as well as two BA category rooms right next to each other on the same ship, same dates in August this year. Although they aren't connecting rooms on the inside, she said the balcony has a doorway that could serve as a connection point. Not my first choice, but since there's about a $3,500 difference in price, I think we may just go with the two rooms even though I would love the family suite.

She also found two MA class balconies on another cruise line that connect inside, but the balconies do not open up to each other. They are bigger cabins, but the price is only about $1,000 less than the family suite on the other ship. I figure for that price difference, I'd rather do the family suite.

Then I found the queen, sofa bed, and upper bunk that EssiesMom suggested on yet another cruise line, but I don't even know if any are available at this time. I'll have to ask my TA about the one on Princess since I didn't see that as an option.

At this point it's getting almost too late in the season to do much this year, so we may even just have to put it off until next year. My TA did say that as it comes time to make final payments, there are almost always some cancellations.

I just hate to make too quick of a decision and then find out later that we could have done something else that would have been a better choice.

Thanks so very much!

I would go with two rooms versus the suite.

There are many good cruise lines to choose from.

When it comes to Alaska try to focus first on the itinerary.

Some cruise lines to consider include Celebrity, Princess, and Holland.

I would seek out a local travel agent who may be able to offer you some additional amenities such as shipboard credit.

Keith

I've just been to the Princess website, and there are quad mini-suites available, at least in June. Did not take the time to check other months. EM

I must be missing something because I can't find how you can see what's still available and what isn't. Could you tell me where I can find that information? Thanks.

We just sailed on the Sapphire Princess and had 2 connecting balcony rooms.

B 633 + 635. We left the connecting door open plus the balcony divider was opened. Having 2 bathrooms was great. The location was perfect, right by the elevator. There were 5 of us.

I must be missing something because I can't find how you can see what's still available and what isn't. Could you tell me where I can find that information? Thanks.

I just go to the Princess site, pretend to book, and see what cabins come up. EM

Yea!!! We ended up deciding on two mini-suites on the Golden Princess. The balconies connect, but the cabins don't. We all agreed we'd rather have the balconies connect instead of the rooms inside, and as an added benefit, it will also give us (the parents) a little more privacy at night.

I'm super happy with the itinerary since Glacier Bay was my biggest "must do"

and my DH's "must do" was the Photo Safari in Juneau. We're on the wait list for the Bear Creek Zip line which was one of the kids' "would really like to do" things on the list. If we can't do that, we'll go zip-lining in Durango some time this summer.

Going with a TA was perfect for us because she knows what she's doing and I've never really had to set up a cruise before. She was able to take our first, second, and third choices and our "must do" shore excursion and put it all together in the alloted time frame. I don't think I could have done that by myself! She really earned her small booking fee as far as I'm concerned.

Archived