GTY assingments

LuisNelson

Hello,

When booking a GTY cabin, how long does it usually take to get your cabin assignment.

Generally speaking, I realize there is no fixed time frame, what have been peoples experiences.

I'm about 2 months out from sailing on a GTY balcony booked about a week ago.

Thanks.

My last GTY cabin was booked directly with NCL and the cabin was assigned in the first month. I recently booked another GTY cabin with an online travel agent and the documents from the TA notes that cabin assignment will not happen until I reach the pier.

Hello,

When booking a GTY cabin, how long does it usually take to get your cabin assignment.

Generally speaking, I realize there is no fixed time frame, what have been peoples experiences.

I'm about 2 months out from sailing on a GTY balcony booked about a week ago.

Thanks.

No set time but we have expierienced the closer the sailing date the better.We have done GTYs several times and it has worked out well everytime.We have one now for Nov sailing. Good Luck with yours.

Thanks Tommy and Bruce. The anticipation is almost too much to bear, lol. Just kidding. But I keep checking back to see if anything has been assigned. It's just one of those rituals one goes through during the precruise build up.

I never booked a cruise more than 4 or 5 months out. If I booked something two years out, I'd have to take two more in between to take my mind off the far out one. lol.

:)

first only and last time i booked a GTY i was assigned a cabin right away..one of the worst in my opinion...so no more GTY for me--better just to choose where you would like to be-that is if you care about location!

first only and last time i booked a GTY i was assigned a cabin right away..one of the worst in my opinion...so no more GTY for me--better just to choose where you would like to be-that is if you care about location!

I tried to book a GTY for a friend last night, there were only 14 to choose from in that category, any of them would have been OK locations, so he really didn't have much to lose, unless they bumped him up and gave him a better category, which again where's down side. NCL rep told me it was the same price. I asked then what would be the benefit and was told there really wasn't any.

We booked a GTY Balcony on the Epic at the beginning of April for a cruise mid-June and had the assignment the first week in May.

2 years ago we booked an inside GTY on the Dawn and were upgraded a balcony but didn't find out until a week or so before the cruise left.

Does anyone have experience convincing NCL to change a cabin on a GTY to another in the same category? For example if you are assigned one on the port side but would prefer to be on the starboard... Figured it might be worth the question as our cabin on the Epic has the bed closer to the door when we would prefer it to be closer to the balcony.

How do you book like this?

I remember when I sailed back in the 80's and 90's we booked like this with our TA and would hear pretty soon what cabin we had and then we would hear again when they would upgrade us.

However, the last two cruises I booked, I don't see an option like that? :confused: Can you tell me how to do this? Also, is there a certain "category" that you choose from and they just choose your room for you? Do you get more of a discount with them by doing it this way?

How do you book like this?

I remember when I sailed back in the 80's and 90's we booked like this with our TA and would hear pretty soon what cabin we had and then we would hear again when they would upgrade us.

However, the last two cruises I booked, I don't see an option like that? :confused: Can you tell me how to do this? Also, is there a certain "category" that you choose from and they just choose your room for you? Do you get more of a discount with them by doing it this way?

I'm assuming you are asking how you book a guaranteed cabin.

From my conversation last night with an NCL rep.

You cannot book online you have to phone the reservation line (or maybe your PCC) I don't have a PCC, so I don't know much about them. You ask for a guaranteed cabin for whatever category you would like. Then you get the guarantee that NCL will provide you with a cabin in your category or higher (kind of like if you book a hotel room, they don't give you a room number just a type of room promised).

However if that cabin price is at the lowest price for that category (like ours apparently was last night) they will not discount you farther so there really is no benefit to this, you might as well book the exact cabin you wish.

You cannot book online you have to phone the reservation line (or maybe your PCC) I don't have a PCC, so I don't know much about them. You ask for a guaranteed cabin for whatever category you would like. Then you get the guarantee that NCL will provide you with a cabin in your category or higher (kind of like if you book a hotel room, they don't give you a room number just a type of room promised).

However if that cabin price is at the lowest price for that category (like ours apparently was last night) they will not discount you farther so there really is no benefit to this, you might as well book the exact cabin you wish.

Yes, that was what I was asking. I just remember TA's doing it like this back when I first started cruising.

I was wondering if you get a cheaper rate for doing it this way, so there was a benefit by going this route. I guess not.

Is there more of a chance that you could get upgraded a category or something? We always seem to get upgraded before by doing it this way (of course back then, things weren't online to see and pick a cabin and so on like they are now).

Yes, that was what I was asking. I just remember TA's doing it like this back when I first started cruising.

I was wondering if you get a cheaper rate for doing it this way, so there was a benefit by going this route. I guess not.

Is there more of a chance that you could get upgraded a category or something? We always seem to get upgraded before by doing it this way (of course back then, things weren't online to see and pick a cabin and so on like they are now).

I have read many times on these threads (depending on cabin choice originally) that a lot of people got upgraded to at least the next one up.

I thought this was a good idea for this young couple I was helping with their reservation last night as they were not as picky as I am where their cabin was located. It was very disappointing to be told that I could book a guaranteed cabin for them but there was no discount.

I have read many times on these threads (depending on cabin choice originally) that a lot of people got upgraded to at least the next one up.

I thought this was a good idea for this young couple I was helping with their reservation last night as they were not as picky as I am where their cabin was located. It was very disappointing to be told that I could book a guaranteed cabin for them but there was no discount.

Well that really sucks! If there's no discount, I don't see why people would even do it then. :cool: I guess I'll stick to my normal close my eyes and point to pick a room. :D j/k

As is all too often the case, the NCL rep was wrong. GTY cabins are frequently available through online booking . Not in all categories on all ships at all times, but I have often seen them when checking prices.

PS: Just checked the June 12 sailing of the Gem and category MX mini suites are available to book as a GTY...and only as a GTY.

As is all too often the case, the NCL rep was wrong. GTY cabins are frequently available through online booking . Not in all categories on all ships at all times, but I have often seen them when checking prices.

PS: Just checked the June 12 sailing of the Gem and category MX mini suites are available to book as a GTY...and only as a GTY.

Phewf, Glad to know I'm not losing my memory ;). Because I went online to do this thinking I had seen this before and didn't know where they put it. Although their online booking is all screwed up right now too because it wouldn't let me change decks in the BA we were looking for. They were only showing deck 9 and yet there were still lots available on deck 10.

Technology and call centers are a great thing of this generation, just not very reliable at times.

My last GTY cabin was booked directly with NCL and the cabin was assigned in the first month. I recently booked another GTY cabin with an online travel agent and the documents from the TA notes that cabin assignment will not happen until I reach the pier.

I noticed this morning that the GTY category for the cruise that I booked just last week has been removed from the NCL web page as an option. I assume that for my cruise all available GTY cabins are now full.

I only book GTY when there is a savings. For this cruise, I saved about $200 booking a GTY in place of selecting my cabin. Although cabin location is critical to an enjoyable cruise for many people, I prefer to save the $200. If the savings were less, then I might feel differently.

bruce...

Sometimes they are on line,sometimes not.We book direct take the highest balcony catagory and try to get a gty.We may have been lucky but everytime we were upgraded to minisuites or better.One time on RCCL they moved us up to a Family Suite.We currently have a Balcony GTY on a Nov cruise with NCL.Still waiting for assignment.

I only book GTY when there is a savings. For this cruise, I saved about $200 booking a GTY in place of selecting my cabin. Although cabin location is critical to an enjoyable cruise for many people, I prefer to save the $200. If the savings were less, then I might feel differently.

bruce...

So wait, you are saying that you DO SAVE money by doing it this way? I'm now confused since others have said that you don't. :confused:

So wait, you are saying that you DO SAVE money by doing it this way? I'm now confused since others have said that you don't. :confused:

This poster said they do book a GTY "when" there is a savings. What appears to happen is some cabins are bookable through a GTY/discount and some aren't, on some ships, not on others.

The NCL rep the other night, explained it to me that because the cabin we were trying to book was already apparently at the lowest possible price, giving me a GTY would not discount it. Now assume I had tried 2 weeks ago and assuming the price was quite a bit higher, they may have offered a discount if I had booked then on a GTY.

So the bottom line is GTY's aren't always cheaper, but sometimes. Worth checking into if you are not picky about where you are on the ship.

Sorry if I was one of the ones that confused you.

I booked a GTY last month for the 3-day Sky in Sept. There was a promotion for "book an OV and receive a free upgrade to Balcony". The only balcony that was available was a GTY. I was assigned a cabin last week - about 3 weeks after I booked. I was given a BB under the aerobics room - yikes. But for me - I knew I wanted a balcony - and I saved over $100 per person (which is a lot on a 3-day) by booking this way. With 4 month left to go, maybe I'll be lucky and get moved again. If not - I guess I can handle pounding feet for a few days. I still dream of moving into a suite - although I won't hold my breath!

You dont necessary do a GTY for a savings.Take the catagory you want then try for a GTY.The advantage is getting an upgrade,which happens at least in my expierience more times then not.

Using my cruise as an example the GTY was priced $100pp under the cabins where you can select your room. Now that there are no GTY cabins left, the price of the lowest cabin in our group (Inside, ocean view, etc) are still priced $100pp over the cost of my cabin.

The only warning that you should know about is, you need to assume that you will receive the worst room in your category and be prepared if this happens. There is plenty of CC talk about upgrade but you need to assume that this will not happen. Plenty of unhappy people once the assigned room does not meet expectations.

Archived